Upset the Apple cart.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Upset the Apple cart.

by Zip » 02 Jan 2020 13:01

Hound one thing I took from yesterday is how ridiculously hard Swift and Ejaria work for two creative players. Ovie especially didn't stop running and tracking back all game

Very impressed with the pair of them - rather than float around waiting to receive the ball, they work their backsides off to win it back, and still then create the moments of quality.

Swift and Ejaria seem to be like playing alongside each other. There was a time when Swift’s fitness seemed lacking. That’s no longer the case. He is more physical than he used to be too but without losing his creativity. There are not many better midfielders in the League than this pair.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Jan 2020 13:17

Zip
URZZZZ
Zip

Millwall are on a very similar run to us. That will be another very tough game. It doesn’t get easier until the back end of February. If we can stay in touch with the play off chasing sides over the next few weeks we will have plenty of winnable games thereafter.

Our next nine games are against PO/Auto chasing teams, when you factor in the last three games were too, that’s 12 on the spin, weird it’s turned out that way

I hope we can get a good crowd against Forest, the players and staff deserve it

Very much my sentiments too. I hope we get 18,000 against Forest.

Probably asking a bit much for us to score that many against them.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 02 Jan 2020 13:25

Snowflake Royal
Zip
URZZZZ
Our next nine games are against PO/Auto chasing teams, when you factor in the last three games were too, that’s 12 on the spin, weird it’s turned out that way

I hope we can get a good crowd against Forest, the players and staff deserve it

Ian I had hoped your posting skillz and bantz may have improved in the New Year. I have been left sorely disappointed.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Jan 2020 13:34

Zip
Snowflake Royal
Zip

Ian I had hoped your posting skillz and bantz may have improved in the New Year. I have been left sorely disappointed.

You should be used to disappointment by now zip. Just like your mum.

:wink:

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 03 Jan 2020 10:00

NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth "Should we play our best right back when he regains fitness?" Yes. Yes is the answer.

Should we keep a back four that has kept 4 clean sheets in a row? Yes. Yes is the answer

However Yiadom isn’t back for a couple of weeks yet I don’t think so circumstances by then may change

Dont think you will find many top teams that keep playing their back up player when their starter returns from injury based on the team performance. Gunter has done well since being brought back into the fold but that is what you should expect of a back up player.

Yiadom has been one of our most impactful players this season. His defensive statistics line up very favourably with Gunters. His 3 assists only put him behind Swift and Joao in that regard. In fact he is our only defender to have contributed directly to more than 2 goals so far.

Gunter has long been a player I havent rated. He is playing well right now but still hasn't met the standards Yiadom set. The benefits that come with playing Yiadom outweigh the "never change a winning team" myth for me.

2 of Yiadom's 3 assists were 3 yard headers deep inside our own half for breakaway goals against Cardiff. He's got a lot going for him but it's not a stat that's useful when determining how effective he is.

His weaknesses have been hammered to death on here over the years but one of Gunter's main attributes, which gets overlooked a lot, is how he covers his centre halves. This is particularly important in a flat back 4 and it's a very good reason why we've looked defensively more solid of late.

In a 3 centre back system, Yiadoms energy, ball carrying ability and willingness to get into more attacking positions works more in his ( and our) favour.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 03 Jan 2020 11:59

Vision
NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ
Should we keep a back four that has kept 4 clean sheets in a row? Yes. Yes is the answer

However Yiadom isn’t back for a couple of weeks yet I don’t think so circumstances by then may change

Dont think you will find many top teams that keep playing their back up player when their starter returns from injury based on the team performance. Gunter has done well since being brought back into the fold but that is what you should expect of a back up player.

Yiadom has been one of our most impactful players this season. His defensive statistics line up very favourably with Gunters. His 3 assists only put him behind Swift and Joao in that regard. In fact he is our only defender to have contributed directly to more than 2 goals so far.

Gunter has long been a player I havent rated. He is playing well right now but still hasn't met the standards Yiadom set. The benefits that come with playing Yiadom outweigh the "never change a winning team" myth for me.

2 of Yiadom's 3 assists were 3 yard headers deep inside our own half for breakaway goals against Cardiff. He's got a lot going for him but it's not a stat that's useful when determining how effective he is.

His weaknesses have been hammered to death on here over the years but one of Gunter's main attributes, which gets overlooked a lot, is how he covers his centre halves. This is particularly important in a flat back 4 and it's a very good reason why we've looked defensively more solid of late.

In a 3 centre back system, Yiadoms energy, ball carrying ability and willingness to get into more attacking positions works more in his ( and our) favour.

Agree with all of this

I was struggling to remember Yiadom’s assists, weren’t exactly memorable

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 03 Jan 2020 12:02

Vision
NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ

Yiadom played in a flat back four last season and was our best player..

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 03 Jan 2020 12:13

NewCorkSeth
Vision
NewCorkSeth Dont think you will find many top teams that keep playing their back up player when their starter returns from injury based on the team performance. Gunter has done well since being brought back into the fold but that is what you should expect of a back up player.

And we were utter shite for most of it.

Defensively we were bobbins until Miazga and Martinez joined us.

I'm not saying Yiadom is bad by any stretch but after a successful run of games and generally solid defensive displays with Gunter at right back, Yiadom's "assists" don't necessarily trump all of that.

Rinomhota was our Player Of the Season last year and I don't see anyone demanding he starts in a midfield that's functioning very well at the moment. And rightly so.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 03 Jan 2020 12:17

Vision
NewCorkSeth
Vision

I'm not saying Yiadom is bad by any stretch but after a successful run of games and generally solid defensive displays with Gunter at right back, Yiadom's "assists" don't necessarily trump all of that.

Rinomhota was our Player Of the Season last year and I don't see anyone demanding he starts in a midfield that's functioning very well at the moment. And rightly so.

I'm not saying his assists trump that. I'm saying he is better than Gunter. Hes better defensively and offensively. The only thing Gunter is better at is crossing into the box.

Rinomhota shouldnt have won. Yiadom was our best and most consistent player last season.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 03 Jan 2020 12:20

Vision
NewCorkSeth
Vision

Yep well said. There is too much focus on Gunter’s weaknesses. I’m not too fussed who plays at right back as long as the selection is justified. Right now our back four are not only keeping clean sheets but in Blackett’s case picking up 3 assists in a matter of days.
Why change something that is working well?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 03 Jan 2020 12:20

Zip
Vision
NewCorkSeth Yiadom played in a flat back four last season and was our best player..

Yep well said. There is too much focus on Gunter’s weaknesses. I’m not too fussed who plays at right back as long as the selection is justified. Right now our back four are not only keeping clean sheets but in Blackett’s case picking up 3 assists in a matter of days.

To become better?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Jan 2020 12:21

NewCorkSeth
Vision
NewCorkSeth Yiadom played in a flat back four last season and was our best player..

I'm not saying his assists trump that. I'm saying he is better than Gunter. Hes better defensively and offensively. The only thing Gunter is better at is crossing into the box.

Rinomhota shouldnt have won. Yiadom was our best and most consistent player last season.

Yiadom was pretty good in a shite team, but Rino was a consistently good revelation who barely put a foot wrong last year. Very worthy PotS.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 03 Jan 2020 12:22

NewCorkSeth
Vision

Seth. Agree Yids should have won PoTS. Can’t agree re the first part of your post. Gunter is also a better passer of the ball than Yiadom.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 03 Jan 2020 12:22

NewCorkSeth
Zip
Vision

To become better?

You can’t get much better than 1 goal conceded in 5 games. To be fair

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 03 Jan 2020 12:22

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
Vision

Yiadom was pretty good in a shite team, but Rino was a consistently good revelation who barely put a foot wrong last year. Very worthy PotS.

Maybe poorly worded by me. I think Yiadom deserved it more. Not that Rinomhota shouldnt have been there or thereabouts.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 03 Jan 2020 12:23

Zip
NewCorkSeth
Vision

Seth. Agree Yids should have won PoTS. Can’t agree re the first part of your post. Gunter is also a better passer of the ball than Yiadom.

Is he? He still seems overly cautious to me. Doesnt seem like a coincidence that we play out left now yet when Yiadom was in the team we played out right?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 03 Jan 2020 12:24

URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth
Zip

To become better?

You can’t get much better than 1 goal conceded in 5 games. To be fair

Aha! But you can get better :wink:

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Jan 2020 13:00

Yiadom is out until the end of Jan. Couple of weeks after that to get fully fit.

No point even having the debate now. If Gunter continues to play well then there is a decision to make then. However, just as possible that we play rubbish again, change the system or pick up injuiries before that date

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 03 Jan 2020 13:07

What it does show is what poor management by Gomes it was to treat Gunter, McCleary and, to a lesser extent, Baldock in the way he did. All excellent professionals who have contributed in a big way since their return to the fold.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 03 Jan 2020 13:16

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth I'm not saying his assists trump that. I'm saying he is better than Gunter. Hes better defensively and offensively. The only thing Gunter is better at is crossing into the box.

Maybe poorly worded by me. I think Yiadom deserved it more. Not that Rinomhota shouldnt have been there or thereabouts.

Bit of second season syndrome for Rino this year.Pele is currently the better player.I saw Pele take five or so corners a few weeks ago and all but one were very good.He seems to be better than Swift or Adam or corners,which is a bit weird,given their dead all quality.