BFTG - Blackpool

135 posts
paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: BFTG - Blackpool

by paultheroyal » 04 Jan 2020 19:09

Chameleon
Westwood52 Company director on the radio moaning that we didn’t pick the first team.

I give the radio callers, bar the 13 year old and the one who lived in Blackpool a 2/10. They didn't swear, no audible dribbling, but utter melts otherwise

That so called executive was an utter bell end. Moaning about paying your money etc.... I for one got £10 worth of entertainment

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 04 Jan 2020 19:17

Not the result we wanted but quite an entertaining game really, the first half hour it looked like just a matter of time before we scored, my mate mentioned with our dominance Blackpool would probably score with their first attack, and so it proved.
Second half much more even with them being more dangerous going forward, probably a fair result , if we put out a strong side up there we will go through.
Didn`t recognise anybody around me, and the kid directly behind me screaming in a high pitched voice for the whole game....thanks :x :x :x

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 04 Jan 2020 19:21

Of the youngsters I thought Howe was pretty decent, Olise Ok and Burley poor.

Still not sure about Loader, there's something about him but apart from the goals - and this one was something special - he does little else.

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 04 Jan 2020 19:29

Probably got what we deserved today. When I saw the starting 11, I did have a WTF Moment!
Eleven changes..........c,mon..... were not Man City..........
I had never even heard of Burley ( No offence son)

Entertaining as it was, I would like to think that the replay we will put out a better team as several today proved they are really not yet good enough to play in the first 11.
The only person who came out with any credit was Baldock and perhaps Loader. The rest were pretty Meh!

by 9165 » 04 Jan 2020 19:38

windermereROYAL Not the result we wanted but quite an entertaining game really, the first half hour it looked like just a matter of time before we scored, my mate mentioned with our dominance Blackpool would probably score with their first attack, and so it proved.
Second half much more even with them being more dangerous going forward, probably a fair result , if we put out a strong side up there we will go through.
Didn`t recognise anybody around me, and the kid directly behind me screaming in a high pitched voice for the whole game....thanks :x :x :x

Were you in North stand, row X? I had the same thing, my ears are still ringing from pre-prubescent wailing directly behind me!

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 04 Jan 2020 19:44

windermereROYAL Not the result we wanted but quite an entertaining game really, the first half hour it looked like just a matter of time before we scored, my mate mentioned with our dominance Blackpool would probably score with their first attack, and so it proved.

Were you in North stand, row X? I had the same thing, my ears are still ringing from pre-prubescent wailing directly behind me!

Nope east stand, but they were all over the place to be fair.

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 04 Jan 2020 19:50

Westwood52 Company director on the radio moaning that we didn’t pick the first team.

An absolutely cringeworthy phone call.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Jan 2020 20:02

URZZZZZZZZ

An absolutely cringeworthy phone call.

He's right though.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 04 Jan 2020 20:04

9165 Agree with most of this, Olise while not brilliant was certainly trying to be creative. Thought Burley did all right too, though showed a few nerves (understandably). 6 academy boys starting, 7 finishing, has that happened before in any match other than the League cup?

We played away to Middlesbrough under Adkins with something like 14 of the 18 matchday squad from the academy, although I think Cox and Federici were included in that and they were both closer to 30 than 20 at the time.

Federici, Pearce, Hector, Obita, Edwards, A Kuhl, Taylor and Cox started with Long, Fosu-Henry, Andersen, Stacey, Cooper and Tanner on the bench. Tanner and Cooper came on.

Pandoras Box

by Pandoras Box » 04 Jan 2020 20:15

If the phone caller was, say a plumber, you would have most likely said “there’s some guy (or bloke) on the radio says we should have picked the first team”.
So was the problem really in what he said, or the fact he was a company director?

Just asking.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 04 Jan 2020 20:26

Did he introduce himself as Steve Smith, Company Director? What company?

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 04 Jan 2020 20:30

Kitsondinho Amused by the BBC report that we were outplayed for the majority of the match. I don’t think either team can claim to have been in charge of the game for long periods.

Agreed. I was also baffled by their comment that Blackpool deserved their 1-0. It was their first proper attack of the game...after half an hour.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 04 Jan 2020 20:33

Walker - Mediocre. Had one decent save. Defence was poor for the first, but he was worse. And with a makeshift defence like that you really need confidence in the keeper behind you. Needs games - but I hope he doesn't get them here. Would like to see what Southwood is like - wonder will he get his chance in the replay

Howe - Got turned inside out a couple of times, and gave away a silly penalty - lucky to get away with that. Couple of decent blocks though, and showed more going forward. But I'm glad Gunter didn't leave in the summer window, because Howe is not ready for the likes of Fulham, and Yiadom's injury would have put us in serious trouble (Maybe Rino would have played RB?)

Miazga - Decent enough, but as captain, and the experienced head in that defence, he should have been a bit more pro-active in organising them. First half, a bit frustrated by him always taking the short easy pass instead of throwing in a few cross-field balls to players in space. 2nd half, we could see why he should always take the short easy pass....

Burley - A bit out of his depth to be honest. But got an important block in after penalty rebound (I think it was him anyway). Has plenty time on his side to improve.

Richards - OK going forward, still not great defensively - would have preferred him and Obita to swap postions to see what he'd be like as a midfielder

Rinomhota - Grand. Continually fouled, and the referee could have done far more to protect him

Olise - Had less time then he was used to, needs to speed up his thinking. But there's definitely something there. Not ready for serious first-team football, except for cameos off the bench maybe. If we're out of contention / danger would like to see him play more in the last few games

McCleary - Pretty patchy. Some decent attacking moments though

Boye - Such a frustrating player. Almost wants things to happen too much, and panics any time there's an opportunity to do something decent.

Obita - A shadow of his former self. Or maybe his former self wasn't as good as nostalgia tells me it was. So-so

Baldock - Great to see him back, MOTM for me

Loader - Good goal (although their keeper won't want to look at it again) Not a whole pile else though? But that seems churlish when he scored.

Aluko - Tried for about 5 minutes, seemed to decide it was all a bt too much like hard work after that. Probably not fully fit to be fair.

Medford-Smith - Got in a decent block during his cameo appearance, didn't see enough of him to work out if he's any closer than Burley.

All in all - was worth the £10 admission and the £5 busfare as it was actually a reasonably entertaining game. And we're still in the hat, and no first-team players injured. So I'm happy enough

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 04 Jan 2020 20:34

windermereROYAL
URZZZZ Walker 4 - wasn’t disastrous but probably could have done better with
both goals

Howe 4 - started off OK but tired badly and was a liability the last 30 minutes
Miazga 6 - did OK
Burley 4 - started the first 15 OK but clearly isn’t good enough
Richards 4 - looked as much as a kid out there as Howe did

Rino 5 - horrible first half, played a lot better second
Olise 6 - don’t think he was amazing, too slow too often, but was one of a few to try and take the initiative and played a good ball through to Baldock

McCleary 3 - chance to impress and he failed. Horrific
Boye 3 - chance to impress and he failed. Horrific. The amount of times he beat a couple of players just to give away the most straight forward pass is baffling
Obita 4 - one thing we’ve learnt is there’s a reason he moved back to LB. Such an anonymous and pointless performance

Baldock 7 - brightest spark in the first half and capped it off with a goal

Loader 6 - scored but did nothing else
Aluko 4 - was ineffective but had a 5 minute spell where he looked sharp. Just a shame the other 25 was wasted

I get having a go at Walker but blaming him for the 2nd goal is outrageous, he also made an outstanding point blank save late on,

Didn’t particularly blame him. Just thought he could have done better for it

The fault with that goal lies with Burley, woeful defending

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 04 Jan 2020 20:38

Pandoras Box If the phone caller was, say a plumber, you would have most likely said “there’s some guy (or bloke) on the radio says we should have picked the first team”.
So was the problem really in what he said, or the fact he was a company director?

Just asking.

I think he was trying to compare running his company with running Reading FC,and not short changing his customers ;which is what he believed Bowen did today.
Managing a Championship football club I believe is totally different to running a small business.Although TBF perhaps there is some similarity with running a div 1 or 2 club.

Pandoras Box

by Pandoras Box » 04 Jan 2020 20:39

Jagermesiter1871 Did he introduce himself as Steve Smith, Company Director? What company?

His point was that in his company where he is the director (he presumably makes presentations, maybe a motivational speaker - who knows), that if people paid to hear him talk, they would be disappointed and it would be unfair to turn up on the day and have to listen to someone else.
Maybe a valid point, maybe not.

Chameleon

by Chameleon » 04 Jan 2020 20:43

Pandoras Box If the phone caller was, say a plumber, you would have most likely said “there’s some guy (or bloke) on the radio says we should have picked the first team”.

Just asking.

The issue is that he was an absolute melt. He’d have been a whining moron no matter the job.

Pandoras Box

by Pandoras Box » 04 Jan 2020 20:49

Westwood52

Just asking.

I think he was trying to compare running his company with running Reading FC,and not short changing his customers ;which is what he believed Bowen did today.
Managing a Championship football club I believe is totally different to running a small business.Although TBF perhaps there is some similarity with running a div 1 or 2 club.

To be perfectly honest though, and I fully understand you would be stupid to play your first team and get injuries etc, but had I been given that teamsheet a couple of weeks back I probably would not have bought a ticket, mainly due to the amount of fixtures lately and some of the aways coming up, including midweek, it’s becoming expensive. I could have given this one a miss.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 04 Jan 2020 20:50

Pandoras Box
Jagermesiter1871 Did he introduce himself as Steve Smith, Company Director? What company?

His point was that in his company where he is the director (he presumably makes presentations, maybe a motivational speaker - who knows), that if people paid to hear him talk, they would be disappointed and it would be unfair to turn up on the day and have to listen to someone else.
Maybe a valid point, maybe not.

Not when you know in advance what you are paying for;;anybody who thought we would be fielding the entire first team today,rather most of the stiffs,would be naive in the extreme.
I would have lost faith with Bowen today if he had picked Ovie or Swift.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 04 Jan 2020 20:58

From Despair To Where?
9165 Agree with most of this, Olise while not brilliant was certainly trying to be creative. Thought Burley did all right too, though showed a few nerves (understandably). 6 academy boys starting, 7 finishing, has that happened before in any match other than the League cup?

We played away to Middlesbrough under Adkins with something like 14 of the 18 matchday squad from the academy, although I think Cox and Federici were included in that and they were both closer to 30 than 20 at the time.

Federici, Pearce, Hector, Obita, Edwards, A Kuhl, Taylor and Cox started with Long, Fosu-Henry, Andersen, Stacey, Cooper and Tanner on the bench. Tanner and Cooper came on.

The club don't class Federici as an academy player (because he wasn't one) but I think that's the record. Slightly tickled by you disambiguating Kuhl so we don't confuse him with his father, but not Edwards or Taylor or Long. Possibly a copy-paste mistake rather than a deliberate decision but a little amusing nonetheless.

There were a couple of League Cup games within a few weeks of that match. Against Derby we had seven starters, three used substitutes, and three unused substitutes, finishing with eight academy players on the pitch. Against Scunthorpe we only had five starters because Hector and Obita were injured :evil: but all seven subs were academy players and we finished with seven on the pitch.

Edit: the infamous Watford match before our FA Cup quarter final only had six starters, two used subs, and four unused subs. Finished the match with the same number we started with.

135 posts