BFTG - Blackpool

135 posts
Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFTG - Blackpool

by Jagermesiter1871 » 04 Jan 2020 21:08

Pandoras Box
Westwood52
Pandoras Box If the phone caller was, say a plumber, you would have most likely said “there’s some guy (or bloke) on the radio says we should have picked the first team”.
So was the problem really in what he said, or the fact he was a company director?

Just asking.

I think he was trying to compare running his company with running Reading FC,and not short changing his customers ;which is what he believed Bowen did today.
Managing a Championship football club I believe is totally different to running a small business.Although TBF perhaps there is some similarity with running a div 1 or 2 club.

To be perfectly honest though, and I fully understand you would be stupid to play your first team and get injuries etc, but had I been given that teamsheet a couple of weeks back I probably would not have bought a ticket, mainly due to the amount of fixtures lately and some of the aways coming up, including midweek, it’s becoming expensive. I could have given this one a miss.

Were you expecting Bowen to play a full strength team? The only surprise for me was Burley.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 04 Jan 2020 21:14

Yeah, a c@p mistake.

I've seen Federici listed as a product of the club but agree, he's not really. I don't really regard Shane Long as one either as he joined as an 18 year old, didn't come through the ranks and had scored his debut 1st team goal within 6 months.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 04 Jan 2020 21:16

Pandoras Box
Westwood52
Pandoras Box If the phone caller was, say a plumber, you would have most likely said “there’s some guy (or bloke) on the radio says we should have picked the first team”.
So was the problem really in what he said, or the fact he was a company director?

Just asking.

I think he was trying to compare running his company with running Reading FC,and not short changing his customers ;which is what he believed Bowen did today.
Managing a Championship football club I believe is totally different to running a small business.Although TBF perhaps there is some similarity with running a div 1 or 2 club.

To be perfectly honest though, and I fully understand you would be stupid to play your first team and get injuries etc, but had I been given that teamsheet a couple of weeks back I probably would not have bought a ticket, mainly due to the amount of fixtures lately and some of the aways coming up, including midweek, it’s becoming expensive. I could have given this one a miss.

Heard that comment a couple of times leaving the match and can understand it.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 04 Jan 2020 21:21

I thought it was a good game and yes we had lots of youngsters but in the main I thought they did really well. Shout out to those of us that turned out and for just a tenner , no complaints

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 04 Jan 2020 21:43

Full credit to Bowen for giving the first 11 a fullly deserved break. 4 days rest I believe.

Considering Blackpool fielded their strongest team. In that context the make shift team today including the substitutions weren't awlfull.

Biggest concern is the lack of depth in the squad. Fair number playing will be gone in the summer. Other than Baldock senior players showed little to suggest that deserve a starting place next Saturday.

A replay another bite at the cherry. Let's hope for for a decent draw.

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 04 Jan 2020 21:51

Gunny Fishcake I thought it was a good game and yes we had lots of youngsters but in the main I thought they did really well. Shout out to those of us that turned out and for just a tenner , no complaints

+1

... once I'd seen the line-up did not expect much more than we got. I too thought the new lads did relatively well and in the main the returning ex-regulars were adequate in a makeshift kind of way.
Even had we put out something approaching the first team, my own pre-match expectation was for nothing better than a two goal margin.
Understandably with a more patchwork XI , I would not have expected a stroll in the park. The disappointing performance markings might suggest many on here seem to have pre-supposed we'd do much better.

Blackpool are no mugs and they worked hard really hard off the ball to quell our movement and quality of pass - eventually flourishing as we tired slowed up and passes started to go astray. The important thing for me was that collectively we kept trying what had worked in the first 1/2 hr even when falling behind,

May be in the minority here but personally I'd be happy if Bowen gives this lot the chance to have another go at it in the replay - it could be the making of some of them.

Pandoras Box

by Pandoras Box » 04 Jan 2020 21:56

Lower West Full credit to Bowen for giving the first 11 a fullly deserved break. 4 days rest I believe.

Considering Blackpool fielded their strongest team. In that context the make shift team today including the substitutions weren't awlfull.

Biggest concern is the lack of depth in the squad. Fair number playing will be gone in the summer.

A good point, but do you think this was
a) primarily a rest for the whole first team, or
b) a live try out for Bowen to see who is worth keeping
and/or c) to put some faces in the January shop window?

Also what’s the score with Josh Barrett? I thought in the games he’s played he was quite convincing and yet he didn’t even get a run out today.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 04 Jan 2020 21:58

Four Of Clubs
Gunny Fishcake I thought it was a good game and yes we had lots of youngsters but in the main I thought they did really well. Shout out to those of us that turned out and for just a tenner , no complaints

May be in the minority here but personally I'd be happy if Bowen gives this lot the chance to have another go at it in the replay - it could be the making of some of them.

More or less I’d agree. I’d probably start Aluko/Loader/Puscas rather than both Obita and Richards because quite simply, those two didn’t work together and I’d start Morrison/Moore in place of Burley if McIntyre ain’t fit

I suppose really we will get a better indication of Bowen’s thoughts at about 19:30 on Monday. A draw to Oxford/any lower league team/one against any of the big fish and I suspect Bowen may go for it with a stronger squad. A tie against a fellow Championship team (especially away) or a team like Norwich away and I expect to see today’s team out

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 04 Jan 2020 22:38

Pandoras Box
Lower West Full credit to Bowen for giving the first 11 a fullly deserved break. 4 days rest I believe.

Biggest concern is the lack of depth in the squad. Fair number playing will be gone in the summer.

A good point, but do you think this was
a) primarily a rest for the whole first team, or
b) a live try out for Bowen to see who is worth keeping
and/or c) to put some faces in the January shop window?

Also what’s the score with Josh Barrett? I thought in the games he’s played he was quite convincing and yet he didn’t even get a run out today.

a) 4 games in 11 days wil have taken it's toll both physically ands mentally. We've still got the additional fixture vs NF to play.
b) There's nothing like game time to improve fitness and sharpness. The entire bench for the Fulham game were in the starting 11 today.
c) Suspect that those that might go (eventually) are still on high wages. Bowen using his clean slate approach might as well give everyone a chance.

In the games I've seen Barrett I've not been convinced by his all round contribution yet. Like Aluko doesn't naturally track back to defend. Something which Meite has improved upon this season. Today I was looking at the role Olise was given and wondered if he could step in for Charlie Adam for the last 30 minutes of games. Did give the ball away cheaply towards the end of the game.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 04 Jan 2020 23:19

Bowen went down in my opinion today after such a good run was it really necessary to make 17 changes? Even the subs needed a break. We have a free week next week could a few first teamers at least not been on the bench?
We our 14th not 4th. So this talk of play offs is way premature lose the two games against Forest and we are back to square one. Where as a decent cup run is a distinct possibility. Now not only should we have suffered an embarrassing defeat today we now have a 10 hour round midweek trip to freezing Blackpool. 11 changes rarely works anyone who remembers that humiliating evening in Peterborough when Atkins did the same and we lost 6-0.
Remember the season when Brian fielded a strong side in the cup we reached the quarterfinals and made playoff final the two bounced off each other. Boosting confidence and the club coffers.

JR

by JR » 04 Jan 2020 23:41

Westwood52 Company director on the radio moaning that we didn’t pick the first team.

This idiot drove me to phone up Radio Berkshire for the first time.

He kept complaining about the insult of fans paying their money and then not been given the first team to watch. I was shouting at the radio - that’s why the tickets are cut price you fool!!!

Anyone complaining about all the changes needs to think about the 4 intense games in 11 days, and whether they would have been happy with Ejaria or Swift pulling a hammy and being out for 6 weeks. I get as angry as anyone on unnecessary weak FA Cup teams, but today’s changes were the right choice in these particular circumstances.

As an aside a 13 year old (called Joshua I think) then phoned up the radio and spoke more impressively and sensibly than I’ve heard anyone (including presenters and pundits) speak on that programme. Largely stole my thunder but did it in a much more eloquent way than I would have managed if put through.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Jan 2020 23:44

Pandoras Box
Jagermesiter1871 Did he introduce himself as Steve Smith, Company Director? What company?

His point was that in his company where he is the director (he presumably makes presentations, maybe a motivational speaker - who knows), that if people paid to hear him talk, they would be disappointed and it would be unfair to turn up on the day and have to listen to someone else.
Maybe a valid point, maybe not.

I mean it's not, because you pay to watch Reading FC play not a specific set of players, and we've been using fringe players in the cup for more than a decade. So anyone not expecting the possibility of a second string side doesn't know the club and can't be a regular customer. Plus I believe you pay a reduced price for the early rounds anyway.

Even if that was his point, his being a company director is utterly irrelevant and basically just a claim to authority to justify a shit, ignorant and self absorbed point.

IMO anyway.

JR

by JR » 04 Jan 2020 23:45

Sutekh Thought the youngsters largely did ok but none are ready for starting championship football week in and week out based on that. Regular cameos from the bench for Olise and Loader should certainly be considered though.

Thought the more experienced players should have done better than they did and that was probably why the result wasn’t as good as it could have been.

Finally, thought that Aluko did ok considering that was the first football he’s played in a month and he’s only had a few sessions back in training.

Looking forward to a nice fresh raring to go first team next week.

100% agree with this appraisal.

Throughly enjoyed the game despite Blackpool being a tad unfortunate not to win.

JR

by JR » 04 Jan 2020 23:49

Old Man Andrews
URZZZZZZZZ
Westwood52 Company director on the radio moaning that we didn’t pick the first team.

An absolutely cringeworthy phone call.

He's right though.

It was the biggest amount of tripe I’ve ever heard from any so called fan on a phone-in anywhere.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 04 Jan 2020 23:49

Xmas playing schedule across all the leagues was madness. Look at the injury list that Newcastle now have. Be interesting to see how Nottingham Forest approach tomorrows game with Chelsea.

JR

by JR » 04 Jan 2020 23:55

Pandoras Box
Jagermesiter1871 Did he introduce himself as Steve Smith, Company Director? What company?

His point was that in his company where he is the director (he presumably makes presentations, maybe a motivational speaker - who knows), that if people paid to hear him talk, they would be disappointed and it would be unfair to turn up on the day and have to listen to someone else.

He was either:

A) Very naive about the reality of football and was completely unaware that teams often make numerous changes for cup games

B) Commercially naive (surprising for a director) about the reality of what happens when you are getting a massive discount for a service. There is a reason why that particular service is cheaper at certain times.

JR

by JR » 04 Jan 2020 23:59

Jackson Corner Bowen went down in my opinion today after such a good run was it really necessary to make 17 changes? Even the subs needed a break. We have a free week next week could a few first teamers at least not been on the bench?
We our 14th not 4th. So this talk of play offs is way premature lose the two games against Forest and we are back to square one. Where as a decent cup run is a distinct possibility. Now not only should we have suffered an embarrassing defeat today we now have a 10 hour round midweek trip to freezing Blackpool. 11 changes rarely works anyone who remembers that humiliating evening in Peterborough when Atkins did the same and we lost 6-0.
Remember the season when Brian fielded a strong side in the cup we reached the quarterfinals and made playoff final the two bounced off each other. Boosting confidence and the club coffers.

Please explain how you calculated 17 changes? I must have missed it but I thought all 7 subs from Fulham started today.

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 05 Jan 2020 00:13

Pandoras Box

It was £10.00 a ticket, was that not enough of a clue for him that maybe it was not going to be the first eleven turning out today.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 05 Jan 2020 00:13

Jackson Corner Bowen went down in my opinion today after such a good run was it really necessary to make 17 changes? Even the subs needed a break. We have a free week next week could a few first teamers at least not been on the bench?

Yes.

The first choice players have just played several matches in the space of a few days in one of the most demanding leagues in the world. They deserve a break.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 05 Jan 2020 00:33

Few points

1. It wasn’t 17 changes as someone has previously said

2. We may be 14th but we are one game off the top 6 (points wise) if we win our GIH so it’s certainly not premature

3. A decent run could be a possibility but the team today comprised of 5 players that were very much an instrumental part of Bowen’s start to his reign (Richards, Miazga, Obita, Rinomhota and Baldock). The team should have had more than enough to win and that’s also not including the likes of McCleary, Boye, Aluko and Walker who had a lot to prove

4. Why should we have suffered an embarrassing defeat? We had more shots, more shots non target, even more corners etc. We dominated the first 30, they dominated the next bit and then it was more even at the end. Perfectly reflectable scoreline

5. 11 changes can work if your squad are geared for it. Let’s not forget we beat Plymouth 4-2 earlier this season with 11 changes I think. Plenty of example of it working

6. It’s Adkins

7. Not completely valid to compare McDermott’s and Bowen’s FA cup teams. McDermott’s side that season needed confidence because results fluctuated constantly. We, on the back of four wins in a row (the last two being against 1st and 2nd in home form) suggests we don’t really need a confidence boost

Do you think Bowen would have made 11 changes had we not just have won the last 4 in a row?

135 posts