BFTG - Blackpool

135 posts
Old Man Andrews

Re: BFTG - Blackpool

by Old Man Andrews » 06 Jan 2020 11:23

Hendo Never been that impressed when I have seen him play, although I know he did have a very good game at Plymouth this season. Think it might be a case of needing to let him go for him to improve as a footballer.

Think Plymouth might be his level tbh.

Dave the rave

by Dave the rave » 06 Jan 2020 11:47

I agree with most of what 3points said.

Didn't look a penalty from where we were but too far out to be sure (haven't seen the highlights yet). One of those where I thought he'd bottle it and so it was.
And lol at the grown men running down the stand, phones in hand, to capture the moment. Cringeworthy.

Thought we would have won today but that was assuming we'd not make wholesale changes. Not disappointed that we did as it was an entertaining, if frustrating game. Plus, £20 for me, my lad and my mum felt good value.
To that end we looked ok in phases but ultimately disjointed. Seemed as if the trust wasn't there for players to make those runs. Maybe afraid the pass wouldn't come so there was a lot of the sideways passing rather than those clinical balls/movement.
Whoever was taking our corners in the second half needs to practice on beating the first man. Basics.

My lad enjoyed it. Don't think it was him screeching but I may be wrong. Back of Y21 and no-one in the 5 rows in front anyway.

Crowd was a bit flat but probably a result of what was on the pitch.

6.5/10

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 06 Jan 2020 11:52

Old Man Andrews
Hendo Never been that impressed when I have seen him play, although I know he did have a very good game at Plymouth this season. Think it might be a case of needing to let him go for him to improve as a footballer.

Probably go along with that, but you can see what leaving has done for players like Antonio, looks comfortable at Premier League level. I don't think Barrett will quite reach that level but has a chance to be a very good Championship player, he is still only 21 so time yet to develop, but probably not here.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 06 Jan 2020 11:54

Hendo
Old Man Andrews

Probably go along with that, but you can see what leaving has done for players like Antonio, looks comfortable at Premier League level. I don't think Barrett will quite reach that level but has a chance to be a very good Championship player, he is still only 21 so time yet to develop, but probably not here.

There is nothing wrong with being at "Plymouth level" btw, its a decent living and a fairly decent standard. Look what stepping down a level did for Jack Stacey too.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 06 Jan 2020 11:58

Barrett reminds me of Jake Taylor. Very average, and will probably make his career in L1/L2 but won't be good enough for the Championship. Expect Ryan East to follow a similar path

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 06 Jan 2020 12:15

1) Seriously worried by that performance - after all the optimism of possible playoffs I can't see it now after that.

2) Why make so many changes - Bowen has to go. Sorry but he's had his chance and we're still bottom half. He brought in players who weren't as good. Why change a winning team?

3) Small positives: good to see Aluko and Boye - they must surely start next game.

4) That kid Burley is one to watch - I'd be very surprised if he doesn't start or at least be on the bench for our next game. The question is who should he replace? Good problem to have.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 06 Jan 2020 12:18

2 world wars, 1 world cup 1) Seriously worried by that performance - after all the optimism of possible playoffs I can't see it now after that.

2) Why make so many changes - Bowen has to go. Sorry but he's had his chance and we're still bottom half. He brought in players who weren't as good. Why change a winning team?

3) Small positives: good to see Aluko and Boye - they must surely start next game.

4) That kid Burley is one to watch - I'd be very surprised if he doesn't start or at least be on the bench for our next game. The question is who should he replace? Good problem to have.

Are you on glue?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 06 Jan 2020 12:33

Old Man Andrews
2 world wars, 1 world cup 1) Seriously worried by that performance - after all the optimism of possible playoffs I can't see it now after that.

Are you on glue?

Pssst... Irony...

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 06 Jan 2020 12:34

Snowball
Old Man Andrews

Are you on glue?

Pssst... Irony...

I had no idea he had that in him, its knocked me for six.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Jan 2020 12:43

Old Man Andrews
Hendo
Old Man Andrews Think Plymouth might be his level tbh.

There is nothing wrong with being at "Plymouth level" btw, its a decent living and a fairly decent standard. Look what stepping down a level did for Jack Stacey too.

Yes, he looks a decent div2 player to me, maybe div1 at a push

I like him, and he has had some ok performances for us, but I just don't think he is quite Champ standard.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 06 Jan 2020 13:28

Old Man Andrews
Snowball
Old Man Andrews Are you on glue?

Pssst... Irony...

I had no idea he had that in him, its knocked me for six.

Sorry buddy :lol:

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 06 Jan 2020 14:05

Ranty McRantface

by Ranty McRantface » 06 Jan 2020 14:10

Hound
Old Man Andrews
Hendo

I like him, and he has had some ok performances for us, but I just don't think he is quite Champ standard.

I personally think we don't give him and others enough chances. It's a big ask for a player who doesn't play regularly to come in and have a good game in a league match. Even Boye can't do it and he's 23! The youngsters are going to be more inconsistent than the older lot and when they have a bad game we just seem to instantly assume they're not good enough. Barrett does have quality good enough at this level but he needs to games to get the experience to be a more consistent performer. A loan would be good for the lad in January.

I know I've said it before but the only way we are going to tell who is ready is when they have a played a lot of games regularly. We did it with Jordan Obita, even when he was playing badly for a spell. We did it with Shane Long when it took him an age to get goals firing. We did it with Robson-Kanu before he became more consistent on the wing.

The question is does the manager have the patience to put 1 of them in and treat them the same as the others as opposed to restricting them just because they are young.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Jan 2020 14:31

reasonable point Ranty

Maybe the second half of the season if our belated play off push goes off the rails would be a good chance to give a few lads more of a run

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 06 Jan 2020 14:35

Old Man Andrews

Are you on glue?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 06 Jan 2020 14:37

Ranty McRantface
Hound
Old Man Andrews There is nothing wrong with being at "Plymouth level" btw, its a decent living and a fairly decent standard. Look what stepping down a level did for Jack Stacey too.

I personally think we don't give him and others enough chances. It's a big ask for a player who doesn't play regularly to come in and have a good game in a league match. Even Boye can't do it and he's 23! The youngsters are going to be more inconsistent than the older lot and when they have a bad game we just seem to instantly assume they're not good enough. Barrett does have quality good enough at this level but he needs to games to get the experience to be a more consistent performer. A loan would be good for the lad in January.

I know I've said it before but the only way we are going to tell who is ready is when they have a played a lot of games regularly. We did it with Jordan Obita, even when he was playing badly for a spell. We did it with Shane Long when it took him an age to get goals firing. We did it with Robson-Kanu before he became more consistent on the wing.

The question is does the manager have the patience to put 1 of them in and treat them the same as the others as opposed to restricting them just because they are young.

you can do it in a succesful/confident team to an extent.
much more difficult in a misfiring one.

you also cant do it with too many at a time
youth players are inconsistent, and you cant absorb too much of that without results suffering

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 06 Jan 2020 14:40

Old Man Andrews

Are you on glue?

Are you not?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 06 Jan 2020 14:49

genome
Old Man Andrews

Are you on glue?

Are you not?

Never. I am completely straight edge for 2020.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Jan 2020 14:57

Ranty McRantface
Hound
Old Man Andrews There is nothing wrong with being at "Plymouth level" btw, its a decent living and a fairly decent standard. Look what stepping down a level did for Jack Stacey too.

Great post.

Barrett and Olise, for example, certainly haven't looked out of their depth when they've played that I've seen. A bit hit and miss sometimes and maybe a little average, but I'd argue both have shown more promise in their few run outs than Loader did.

Not everyone instantly fits right in like Rinomhota.

Give them a run of sub appearances and the odd start to build experience and there's a decent chance it pays off.

They're not going to make it here by not playing.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 06 Jan 2020 14:58

Snowflake Royal
Ranty McRantface
Hound

Great post.

Barrett and Olise, for example, certainly haven't looked out of their depth when they've played that I've seen. A bit hit and miss sometimes and maybe a little average, but I'd argue both have shown more promise in their few run outs than Loader did.

Not everyone instantly fits right in like Rinomhota.

Give them a run of sub appearances and the odd start to build experience and there's a decent chance it pays off.

They're not going to make it here by not playing.

They have looked out of their depth, hence why they don't play...........

Not entirely sure how you can comment seeing as you don't go to games.

135 posts