MATCHWATCH : Blackpool (a) sponsored by Dylan Kerr

269 posts
sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Blackpool (a) sponsored by Dylan Kerr

by sandman » 14 Jan 2020 22:42

If we get anyone in then we'll get whoever Kia decides.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 14 Jan 2020 22:43

Sutekh
Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ
Wouldn’t be my choice, not sure he’d be able to play the lone striker role

Yeah possibly you'd want a bigger physical presence. Just thinking along the lines of getting someone proven at scoring goals in the Championship.

Reading need a big physical presence who can hold the ball up and has a reasonable strike rate.

Anyone available who fits the bill? A Premier League loanee is probably the most affordable and likely solution.

Nuhiu

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Jan 2020 23:38

Royalwaster
Snowflake Royal
John Madejski's Wallet Job done. Happy with this

Yep. Great experience for Olise, Richards, Loader, Burley, Dorsett, McIntyre and Howe.

Shame Aluko got more minutes in a Reading shirt. Game over and East, House or Medford-Smith could have got a nice run out.

I really don't understand fans like you - OK so you don't rate Boye and Aluko, but it seems you'd prefer for them to fail over them actually turning the corner and proving you wrong? I remember not rating Kebe in his first season and before that Shane Long - but boy those two proved me wrong and I was overjoyed to be proven wrong.

Er, I didn't say anything about Boye. The only thing I've said about Boye all thread is essentially that one poached goal against lower league opposition from crap defending doesn't change my view on him. Hardly controversial.

As for Aluko, he was an awful signing, who has been awful, got drummed out for being expensive and awful and now we're stuck with the waster again. What point exactly there is in giving a poor performing experienced player 5 minutes against Blackpool I just don't see. It doesn't give him a 3rd or 4th opportunity to prove his worth - there's no time and the game is dead. It doesn't put him in the shop window, it doesn't help protect the result really, he's a flakes forward, not a defender, and blocks someone for whom the experience of a few first team minutes may be beneficial.

Aluko's had all the chances I care to see thanks.

I'd much rather focus on the positives and the great result with a young side. A clean sheet for a very young back four. Olise's ball to Obita etc. Instead I've ended up talking about to two poor signings by responding to you.
Last edited by Snowflake Royal on 14 Jan 2020 23:49, edited 1 time in total.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Jan 2020 23:39

WoodleyRoyal
Zip
URZZZZ
Wouldn’t be my choice, not sure he’d be able to play the lone striker role

Nor mine.

Nor mine

Ditto

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 14 Jan 2020 23:40

Notts Royal With all this striker talk, why not go back to playing Baldock in behind Puscas? Seemed to work before. If we’re now saying 1 up top is the way to go, and Puscas can’t do that (which I personally don’t believe), we might as well cash in while his stock is high. Only a few games ago we were lamenting what a waste of money Joao was, now he’s apparently brilliant. Baffling!

Could be used as an alternative to chasing games. Important to be flexible. The main tactic won't always work, if we can adapt and change, they could cause problems as a duo

But for now, considering the run we're on, it wouldn't make sense to change the formation

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 14 Jan 2020 23:43

Snowflake Royal
Royalwaster
Snowflake Royal Yep. Great experience for Olise, Richards, Loader, Burley, Dorsett, McIntyre and Howe.

Shame Aluko got more minutes in a Reading shirt. Game over and East, House or Medford-Smith could have got a nice run out.

I really don't understand fans like you - OK so you don't rate Boye and Aluko, but it seems you'd prefer for them to fail over them actually turning the corner and proving you wrong? I remember not rating Kebe in his first season and before that Shane Long - but boy those two proved me wrong and I was overjoyed to be proven wrong.

Er, I didn't say anything about Boye. The only thing I've said about Boye all thread is essentially that one poached goal against lower league opposition from crap defending doesn't change my view on him. Hardly controversial.

He's shown he can make a contribution at the very least

Looked sharp via the highlights too with one mazy run and finally some end product to go along with it. He needed tonight after his awful showing in the reverse fixture

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Jan 2020 23:44

URZZZZ
Notts Royal With all this striker talk, why not go back to playing Baldock in behind Puscas? Seemed to work before. If we’re now saying 1 up top is the way to go, and Puscas can’t do that (which I personally don’t believe), we might as well cash in while his stock is high. Only a few games ago we were lamenting what a waste of money Joao was, now he’s apparently brilliant. Baffling!

Could be used as an alternative to chasing games. Important to be flexible. The main tactic won't always work, if we can adapt and change, they could cause problems as a duo

But for now, considering the run we're on, it wouldn't make sense to change the formation

The good thing is Bowen has been superb at adapting the team to circumstances. He's quickly identified when something isn't right and he's changed personal or shape to fix it.

If Joao's out and he can't find someone who can play that focal lone role well enough, I have every faith he'll switch it up and find another solution, like going back to two upfront.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Jan 2020 23:47

URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal
Royalwaster

Looked sharp via the highlights too with one mazy run and finally some end product to go along with it. He needed tonight after his awful showing in the reverse fixture

Given the stuff in the highlights happened after my one comment about him, it's not really relevant.

He needs to do a lot more to impress me. As I've shown with Swift and Gunter, if he plays well and delivers I'll happily back him. Still think he's wasted minutes someone else could better use on the whole though.

At least Meite regularly delivers, unlike your chum. :wink:

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 14 Jan 2020 23:53

Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal Er, I didn't say anything about Boye. The only thing I've said about Boye all thread is essentially that one poached goal against lower league opposition from crap defending doesn't change my view on him. Hardly controversial.

Given the stuff in the highlights happened after my one comment about him, it's not really relevant.

He needs to do a lot more to impress me. As I've shown with Swift and Gunter, if he plays well and delivers I'll happily back him. Still think he's wasted minutes someone else could better use on the whole though.

Who's got more goals in the FA Cup?

And this year...
Last edited by URZZZZ on 14 Jan 2020 23:56, edited 1 time in total.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Jan 2020 23:56

URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ

Who's too good to have played a minute in our FA Cup side to have managed to score? Hint, they top scored last season and have 4 more goals than your chum's 0 in the League. :wink:

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 15 Jan 2020 00:10

Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal Given the stuff in the highlights happened after my one comment about him, it's not really relevant.

Who's too good to have played a minute in our FA Cup side to have managed to score? Hint, they top scored last season and have 4 more goals than your chum's 0 in the League. :wink:

Yet contributed the exact same level of points

Hint, it's less than one :wink:

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 15 Jan 2020 00:15

Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ

The good thing is Bowen has been superb at adapting the team to circumstances. He's quickly identified when something isn't right and he's changed personal or shape to fix it.

If Joao's out and he can't find someone who can play that focal lone role well enough, I have every faith he'll switch it up and find another solution, like going back to two upfront.

Agree but I think he was slightly too slow to change from the 5 at the back, it had become stale for too long

In reality, whilst lamented at the time by me and many others, Morrison's terrible backpass at Barnsley may have benefitted us in the long run as it forced Bowen's hand a bit more

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 Jan 2020 07:12

Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ

I’d be fine with Puscas/Baldock up top. Problem is one has a knackd shoulder and the other is never more than a game away from a month on the sidelines with some muscle injury

Boye comes back into the reckoning - looked good on the highlights (the first one off the bar was a great bit of play), and Meite is the other option, assuming Loader goes (maybe he won’t though)

Anyway chuffed with the outcome. Some good saves from Walker will help him, another clean sheet, 9 unbeaten, good run out for the fringe players, McIntyre back - all good

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 15 Jan 2020 07:25

URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ

And this year...

Is that a negative comment about Meite??

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Jan 2020 08:23

If Joao is essentially out for the season then a new striker is a must - as mentioned Puscas has a weakened shoulder and turned down an op to play. One bad knock, or landing and he may be forced into that. Baldock rarely manages more than a handful of games before something pings or pops - which would leave us with Meite, Loader and Boye as striking options. 2 players who are generally preferred out wide and Loader, who whilst showing flashes hasn't performed consistantly and only had 2 goals to his name to date.

All ifs and buts of course but if a striker is available who fits the way we are playing now be the Murray, Sharp, Kodja or A.N. Other then we should look to strengthen there esp if the club harbour any hopes of closing the 6 point gap to the play-offs.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 15 Jan 2020 08:24

URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal
Royalwaster

He came very close to scoring a worldly beating an opponent before a terrific strike hit the crossbar.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 15 Jan 2020 08:26

Stranded If Joao is essentially out for the season then a new striker is a must - as mentioned Puscas has a weakened shoulder and turned down an op to play. One bad knock, or landing and he may be forced into that. Baldock rarely manages more than a handful of games before something pings or pops - which would leave us with Meite, Loader and Boye as striking options. 2 players who are generally preferred out wide and Loader, who whilst showing flashes hasn't performed consistantly and only had 2 goals to his name to date.

All ifs and buts of course but if a striker is available who fits the way we are playing now be the Murray, Sharp, Kodja or A.N. Other then we should look to strengthen there esp if the club harbour any hopes of closing the 6 point gap to the play-offs.

Sharp?? No chance.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 15 Jan 2020 08:33

NewCorkSeth
Stranded If Joao is essentially out for the season then a new striker is a must - as mentioned Puscas has a weakened shoulder and turned down an op to play. One bad knock, or landing and he may be forced into that. Baldock rarely manages more than a handful of games before something pings or pops - which would leave us with Meite, Loader and Boye as striking options. 2 players who are generally preferred out wide and Loader, who whilst showing flashes hasn't performed consistantly and only had 2 goals to his name to date.

Sharp?? No chance.

Would Armand Gnanduillet be an affordable option for us? Big lad, holds the ball up well and can score goals. Maybe not first choice but a decent bench option.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 15 Jan 2020 08:38

Old Man Andrews
NewCorkSeth

Sharp?? No chance.

Would Armand Gnanduillet be an affordable option for us? Big lad, holds the ball up well and can score goals. Maybe not first choice but a decent bench option.

Dunno. Coventry (or someone else...) are after him arent they?

Thing is, do you want 6 senior strikers on our books? 7 including McNulty?

It just seems interesting to me that we all discussed that Bowen would have a real selection headache on his hands once all striker were fit. Now that Joao is out, for an admittedly long time, everyone is panicking. What happened to the selection headache?

I'm not a scout so cant come up with a name but we should be looking for a loan.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Jan 2020 08:44

NewCorkSeth
Old Man Andrews
NewCorkSeth Sharp?? No chance.

Dunno. Coventry (or someone else...) are after him arent they?

Thing is, do you want 6 senior strikers on our books? 7 including McNulty?

It just seems interesting to me that we all discussed that Bowen would have a real selection headache on his hands once all striker were fit. Now that Joao is out, for an admittedly long time, everyone is panicking. What happened to the selection headache?

I'm not a scout so cant come up with a name but we should be looking for a loan.

It's not panic. We seem to have hit a rich vein of form playing with Joao who is a different option to our other strikers. My point is we are left with one striker coming back from a shoulder injury that apparently really needs an op and one who is sadly injury prone.

McNulty isn't really on our books this season and will either stay at Sunderland or there is talk of him going back to Hibs or even Swindon on loan.

It would be prudent to replace the player we are losing to injury in the short term - this should realistically only be a loan unless there is a deal that is too good to turn down out there - that is unlikely in January. Bowen has already stated that the wheels are in motion to try and find a striker to cover Joao's injury so the club clearly feel the same way.

269 posts