BFTG Millwall Away

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFTG Millwall Away

by stealthpapes » 20 Jan 2020 12:16

Matchday Review Part 1: The Day

An early start. 10 am at the end of London Bridge. The Den is little under an hours walk away. But first, a bacon butty at Maria's Cafe, Borough Market. Bubble and squeak doing a roaring trade, so a mental note made.

Brewery #1: Southwark Brewery

We arrive maybe 5 minutes early, amateurs compared to the gent who arrived just as the door opens. That's the sign of experience. Sadly, this isn't the most auspicious start - the Bankside Blonde is watery and even a bit vinegary.

Brewery #2: Anspach & Hobday

One cask and a selection of kegs. Green goes for the Janus, a dark and smooth brown ale. I pick a pale ale and, christ, there ain't half some hops in that one. Possibly the best beer of the day, and the brewery has the air of a place of work and they've just moved things to one side for the day. Dart board on the wall. Nice touch.

We reverse, slightly. cutting back through the arches to a run of five bars in less than about a quarter mile on the south side of the arches. We plan to do four now and then one on the way back. First up,

Brewery #3: Moor Beer.

A pint of revival each, and the day is starting to warm up. Sitting out on a crisp winters' day, with blue skies and a decent pint of IPA on the go. Bliss.

Brewery #4: London Calling Sweden.

See above. We improvise an outdoors seating area and watch the area slowly grind through its gears as morning becomes early afternoon. Two crisp session IPAs. These last two pubs, side by side, are the best pair, I think, in terms of general ambience. The day is young, the ball has not yet been kicked in anger, and the sky is blue.

Brewery #5: Cloudwater.

HERE BE HIPSTERS. First of all, the biggest serving is a 2/3 pint and its in something you might drink an Old Fashioned from. The squad of metal lads stood by us get around this problem by ordering two halves each. That's the wisdom that comes with a WARBASTARD patch on your sleeveless denim jacket. Second, the If You Listen Carefully New England pale ale isn't a patch on some of the other beers we've drunk or are yet to drink.

Brewery #6: Bianca Street Brewey.

Long Play IPA, two pints, and a solid addition to the list. I think the merits of Bianca street were lost in the churn, the bar's nicely set up and the beer was in the top half of what we drank. However, it is now time to start thinking about the game.

It's a longer walk to the next bit, and we pass some wine and cheese places. Not today, lads, not today. We also walk past The Blue Anchor and The Ancient Foresters which look robust, at best. We've got a 1500 date with The Den.

Brewery #7: Spartan

Except we find another pair of breweries where we hadn't planned to, and Spartan does a River Styx porter. I got an Achilles Heel, which seems apposite. Turns out the brewer is from West Bromwich so we have a bit of a Bathams chat - he gets the prize for friendliest bar staff. I don't think he had much choice in the matter.

The Game.

Well, we got a Greggs near South Bermondsey station and then got to the game just in time for kick off. Let's not waste any time on talking about the football here.

Half Time Refreshments.

Not been in a bundle like this since Quad football. Slow service, surges from all sides, and I finally get my pints as the second half kicks off. A Birra Poretti, so points for not going down the obvious choices at the game and, as a cooking lager goes, its a solid one.

Brewery # 8: Partizan Brewery.

As we start our walk back to London Bridge, the sun has started to set and its a notably different crowd at all the bars between here and home. Partizan (two 2/3 of a saison, I could take it or leave it tbh) is rammed, there's a certain sense of a stag do set and the temperature is starting to drop.

Brewery #9: Affinity Brew.

We say hello to our Black Country pal from Spartan next door and go for and Green and I go for a fruity sour and a session IPA respectively. Can't complain about my pint, but we're now definitely making plans to get back to our trains.

Brewery #10: Brew By Numbers

Well, not the best laid plans. I think this place is like Cloudwater, its near neighbour, except its now late and there's a guy who looks like the eldest Hanson brother telling people about his tech start up. Can't complain about the beer and the glass is nice, really nice indeed. Really, really nice.

Pub #1: The Shipwrights Arms

This, in the space of two halves of Hook Norton Old Hooky, has gone onto my list of Top London Pubs Worth A Sip. Big central bar, all sorts drinking and huge windows to watch the world go by from.

So, Bermondsey Beer Mile. Job done. It has been an honour.

There's a more thorough guide here: https://www.bermondsey-beer-mile.co.uk/.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 20 Jan 2020 12:26

Top post Papes.

Makes my prematch at the Market Porter look a bit lame. I did manage to down some of Maria's bubble on the way to London Bridge.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 20 Jan 2020 12:48

Hendo
Jagermesiter1871
2 world wars, 1 world cup Not to mention the blatant handball for their first goal! :x

Um.. I think we're talking about the same handball.

:D

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 20 Jan 2020 12:54

stealthpapes Matchday Review Part 1: The Day

An early start. 10 am at the end of London Bridge. The Den is little under an hours walk away. But first, a bacon butty at Maria's Cafe, Borough Market. Bubble and squeak doing a roaring trade, so a mental note made.

We arrive maybe 5 minutes early, amateurs compared to the gent who arrived just as the door opens. That's the sign of experience. Sadly, this isn't the most auspicious start - the Bankside Blonde is watery and even a bit vinegary.

One cask and a selection of kegs. Green goes for the Janus, a dark and smooth brown ale. I pick a pale ale and, christ, there ain't half some hops in that one. Possibly the best beer of the day, and the brewery has the air of a place of work and they've just moved things to one side for the day. Dart board on the wall. Nice touch.

We reverse, slightly. cutting back through the arches to a run of five bars in less than about a quarter mile on the south side of the arches. We plan to do four now and then one on the way back. First up,

A pint of revival each, and the day is starting to warm up. Sitting out on a crisp winters' day, with blue skies and a decent pint of IPA on the go. Bliss.

See above. We improvise an outdoors seating area and watch the area slowly grind through its gears as morning becomes early afternoon. Two crisp session IPAs. These last two pubs, side by side, are the best pair, I think, in terms of general ambience. The day is young, the ball has not yet been kicked in anger, and the sky is blue.

HERE BE HIPSTERS. First of all, the biggest serving is a 2/3 pint and its in something you might drink an Old Fashioned from. The squad of metal lads stood by us get around this problem by ordering two halves each. That's the wisdom that comes with a WARBASTARD patch on your sleeveless denim jacket. Second, the If You Listen Carefully New England pale ale isn't a patch on some of the other beers we've drunk or are yet to drink.

Long Play IPA, two pints, and a solid addition to the list. I think the merits of Bianca street were lost in the churn, the bar's nicely set up and the beer was in the top half of what we drank. However, it is now time to start thinking about the game.

It's a longer walk to the next bit, and we pass some wine and cheese places. Not today, lads, not today. We also walk past The Blue Anchor and The Ancient Foresters which look robust, at best. We've got a 1500 date with The Den.

Except we find another pair of breweries where we hadn't planned to, and Spartan does a River Styx porter. I got an Achilles Heel, which seems apposite. Turns out the brewer is from West Bromwich so we have a bit of a Bathams chat - he gets the prize for friendliest bar staff. I don't think he had much choice in the matter.

The Game.

Well, we got a Greggs near South Bermondsey station and then got to the game just in time for kick off. Let's not waste any time on talking about the football here.

Half Time Refreshments.

Not been in a bundle like this since Quad football. Slow service, surges from all sides, and I finally get my pints as the second half kicks off. A Birra Poretti, so points for not going down the obvious choices at the game and, as a cooking lager goes, its a solid one.

As we start our walk back to London Bridge, the sun has started to set and its a notably different crowd at all the bars between here and home. Partizan (two 2/3 of a saison, I could take it or leave it tbh) is rammed, there's a certain sense of a stag do set and the temperature is starting to drop.

We say hello to our Black Country pal from Spartan next door and go for and Green and I go for a fruity sour and a session IPA respectively. Can't complain about my pint, but we're now definitely making plans to get back to our trains.

Well, not the best laid plans. I think this place is like Cloudwater, its near neighbour, except its now late and there's a guy who looks like the eldest Hanson brother telling people about his tech start up. Can't complain about the beer and the glass is nice, really nice indeed. Really, really nice.

This, in the space of two halves of Hook Norton Old Hooky, has gone onto my list of Top London Pubs Worth A Sip. Big central bar, all sorts drinking and huge windows to watch the world go by from.

Great read. All noted down for a future date, it is right on my doorstep tbh.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 20 Jan 2020 12:59

Bravo Papes you've a far better memory than me

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Jan 2020 13:06

nice little read that Used to live just round the corner to London Bridge and have been to a couple of them. Sounds a cracking day out bar the actual game

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 20 Jan 2020 13:17

Zammo
John Smith
Zammo
Spot on analysis.

Top away day making up for the dross we served up on the pitch.

Such good analysis he's mentioned a player who never played for Reading and retired about 5 seasons ago having a mare. Were you in the pub all day?

I knew who he meant, m8.

And yeah. I'd had four ales before i left the Mad Bishop at midday. Heavy day 8)

Exceptional behaviour.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 20 Jan 2020 17:38

John Smith
Zammo
Gunny Fishcake Simply beaten by a far better side on the day . Millwall's work rate was exceptional , they worked their socks off and thoroughly deserved their win. We were very poor constantly giving the ball away and never in the game. Several players were well below par with Blackstock being the pick with a truly nightmare performance. We move on.

Spot on analysis.

Top away day making up for the dross we served up on the pitch.

Such good analysis he's mentioned a player who never played for Reading and retired about 5 seasons ago having a mare. Were you in the pub all day?

Jeeez , I off course meant Blackett, and I did have a few beers after the game to drown my sorrows !!
Last edited by Gunny Fishcake on 20 Jan 2020 19:03, edited 1 time in total.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 20 Jan 2020 18:27

The Game.

Half Time Refreshments.

FFS can't you just say you didn't go the game and stayed in and got pissed like St Pauli does.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 21 Jan 2020 08:44

The Game.

Half Time Refreshments.

Only replying to this and quoting in its entirety to make this thread unbearably difficult to follow.

(I'm sure the drinkers here appreciate it though, not knocking it!)

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 21 Jan 2020 13:26

The Game.

Half Time Refreshments.

So by a rough reckoning you had 6 1/2 to 7 pints before the game started ?

I must be getting old.I wouldn’t have got there ,at that rate.Although TBF in my twenties once did 17 pints .I love IPA S. Green King imho is the worst I have had.The best for me was a Yoda I was served in Cairns QLD.Although it was 35 degrees at the time and I would have drunk even Fosters at the time to quench my thirst.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 21 Jan 2020 13:37

westwood, you may wish to check Green & myself vs Hull, April 2019.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 21 Jan 2020 15:21

stealthpapes westwood, you may wish to check Green & myself vs Hull, April 2019.

TBF Hull is far better than its rep.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 21 Jan 2020 15:38

massive 'greed.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 21 Jan 2020 15:41

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 22 Jan 2020 07:53

stealthpapes westwood, you may wish to check Green & myself vs Hull, April 2019.

Any bedroom shots?