BFTG - Forest v2

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: BFTG - Forest v2

by Stranded » 23 Jan 2020 11:10

Hound tbf to Gunts, noticed he was in the box for our goal yesterday

He can do it, and I think he would be braver with Yiadom in front of him. And yeah the idea of that nice little triangle and overlap is good. Sort of thing that Adam is very strong at as well, in terms of threading those balls through for the overlap

Was thinking with Gunter - any idea of a new contract has been written off, but I wonder if they are potentially reconsidering offering another year. He isn't old, and he has been pretty bloody good since he has come back in and suits the Bowen style

I hope they offer him a year but would also be happy with 2 - more likely he would sign the latter given his age.

He was excellent yesterday and thought it was the best defender on the pitch in the 2nd half, barely put a foot wrong and was trying to get things moving further forward. The way we are set up now really suits him and he looks a different player - defence almost picks itself at the moment.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 23 Jan 2020 11:10

NewCorkSeth

He can do it, and I think he would be braver with Yiadom in front of him. And yeah the idea of that nice little triangle and overlap is good. Sort of thing that Adam is very strong at as well, in terms of threading those balls through for the overlap

Was thinking with Gunter - any idea of a new contract has been written off, but I wonder if they are potentially reconsidering offering another year. He isn't old, and he has been pretty bloody good since he has come back in and suits the Bowen style

He absolutely can do it. Himself and Yiadom are both so fit as well that the 2 of them sharing a flank could be exhausting for our opponents.

I think a new contract should be offered. He deserves it now.

I agree he deserves it, but I wonder would he have any interest in it?

Before all this happened, no matter how well or badly we played, Gunts would always make a point of thanking the fans (remember Stevenage away where he had to tell our captain to go and clap). But I've noticed the last few games, although he's clearly delighted for his team-mates when we score/win, he doesn't seem to have much interest in clapping the fans. E.g., after Forest at home, he gave a cursory spin-round-the-centre-circle 20 second clap, and then spent the rest of the time saying hello to the Forest coaching staff. Similarly, he's never been huge on social media, but he'd post something after a big win. Now, it's pretty much tumbleweed.

Seems like an employee who gives their all for a company, and is devastated to find there is no loyalty in return - I think he's probably pretty disillusioned with ReadingFC and Reading fans now.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Jan 2020 11:18

muirinho
NewCorkSeth

He absolutely can do it. Himself and Yiadom are both so fit as well that the 2 of them sharing a flank could be exhausting for our opponents.

Before all this happened, no matter how well or badly we played, Gunts would always make a point of thanking the fans (remember Stevenage away where he had to tell our captain to go and clap). But I've noticed the last few games, although he's clearly delighted for his team-mates when we score/win, he doesn't seem to have much interest in clapping the fans. E.g., after Forest at home, he gave a cursory spin-round-the-centre-circle 20 second clap, and then spent the rest of the time saying hello to the Forest coaching staff. Similarly, he's never been huge on social media, but he'd post something after a big win. Now, it's pretty much tumbleweed.

Seems like an employee who gives their all for a company, and is devastated to find there is no loyalty in return - I think he's probably pretty disillusioned with ReadingFC and Reading fans now.

I would understand if he felt that way bit its football. Happens every day.

Not to be rude about him as he was treated poorly but not many fans were shouting for them to stay. He proved us wrong for the time being. I think it's fair to say this period has been his most consistently (he has mostly been consistent throughout his career) good in his time at the club.

Will he want to stay? No idea. I probably wouldnt want to. He will have offers. If he leaves then so be it.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 23 Jan 2020 11:34

NewCorkSeth
muirinho
NewCorkSeth He absolutely can do it. Himself and Yiadom are both so fit as well that the 2 of them sharing a flank could be exhausting for our opponents.

Not to be rude about him as he was treated poorly but not many fans were shouting for them to stay. He proved us wrong for the time being. I think it's fair to say this period has been his most consistently (he has mostly been consistent throughout his career) good in his time at the club.

Will he want to stay? No idea. I probably wouldnt want to. He will have offers. If he leaves then so be it.

As a club, I do think it's time to move on from the likes of Gunter and McCleary and I personally would be against giving Gunter a new contract

But Gunter has always been underrated here and is showing up some of the idiots who criticized him on a weekly basis

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Jan 2020 11:39

URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth
muirinho

As a club, I do think it's time to move on from the likes of Gunter and McCleary and I personally would be against giving Gunter a new contract

But Gunter has always been underrated here and is showing up some of the idiots who criticized him on a weekly basis

Feels as bad to say it now as when I said it earlier in the season but McCleary shouldnt be retained. Weird as I know we need wingers.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Jan 2020 12:03

yes certainly think McCleary's time is up at the end of the season.

Gunter's a couple of years younger though

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 23 Jan 2020 12:07

The team have so much faith in Olise that they let him take the free kick by the penalty area.

How many other teams would give it to the 18 year old?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 23 Jan 2020 12:16

Uke The team have so much faith in Olise that they let him take the free kick by the penalty area.

How many other teams would give it to the 18 year old?

Wasn't far off the top corner with it either.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Jan 2020 12:21

Stranded
Snowflake Royal All the praise for Olise makes it all the stranger he didn't get a chance when Swift and Ejaria were out.

Would imagine he wasn't hitting the standards expected in training at the time and we were nearer the bottom of the table so more of a "risk" - with a 12 point buffer to that (13 now) and only a slim chance of a play-off push, better scenario to put him in and for him to perform. He also performed very well at Blackpool.

We may well see more of him over the next 17 games esp. if/when our play-off chances retreat further.

Good thought. Not the call I'd make, but does seem logical.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 23 Jan 2020 12:43

Snowflake Royal
Stranded
Snowflake Royal All the praise for Olise makes it all the stranger he didn't get a chance when Swift and Ejaria were out.

Would imagine he wasn't hitting the standards expected in training at the time and we were nearer the bottom of the table so more of a "risk" - with a 12 point buffer to that (13 now) and only a slim chance of a play-off push, better scenario to put him in and for him to perform. He also performed very well at Blackpool.

We may well see more of him over the next 17 games esp. if/when our play-off chances retreat further.

Listening to the interviews with Bowen and Baldock on youtube just now, it seems that Olise has really matured of late - Bowen talks about being able to trust him now as he has shown he won't slack on the defensive side and Baldock alluded to the fact that Olise's attitude has changed in recent weeks and has shaken off the tendency to be lazy and has gained the respect of his colleagues - so if his attitude wasn't right a few weeks/months back would show why he wasn't getting the chance his talent perhaps deserves.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 23 Jan 2020 13:01

Fair result, I think Forest were a bit average though.

Agree Olise played well, playing him vs a better technical side like Nottingham Forest rather than throwing him in vs the Millwall bruisers.

Should definitely feature vs Cardiff, he has all the potential in the world!

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Jan 2020 13:09

Stranded
Snowflake Royal
Stranded

Listening to the interviews with Bowen and Baldock on youtube just now, it seems that Olise has really matured of late - Bowen talks about being able to trust him now as he has shown he won't slack on the defensive side and Baldock alluded to the fact that Olise's attitude has changed in recent weeks and has shaken off the tendency to be lazy and has gained the respect of his colleagues - so if his attitude wasn't right a few weeks/months back would show why he wasn't getting the chance his talent perhaps deserves.

Can see the photos and the interview that Bowen was well chuffed with Olise. Good to see - being given some objectives to make it to the first team, and Olise achieving them

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 23 Jan 2020 13:18

NewCorkSeth I would understand if he felt that way bit its football. Happens every day.

Yeah, I'm sure, in his head he knows this is true, and it wouldn't have been different at a different club. But emotionally, it's different.

I think - emotionally - he has moved on from Reading - the days of him taking a lower paid contract to stay, because he feels he belongs, are gone.

If he stays, it will be because the money is right, not because he doesn't want to leave - i.e., it will be a head decision only, not a combination of head and heart. And I can't imagine the club wanting him enough to make it worth it for him pay-wise. He could get a decent 3 year deal elsewhere, and I doubt Reading would offer more than 1. So I'm pretty sure he'll be off.

I'm glad he got his 300th game for Reading though.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Jan 2020 13:37

yeah maybe, who knows though. He is obviously pretty settled here. I can imagine there could be a 2 year deal on the table if Bowen thinks he is worth it

He didn't get a lot of interest in the summer from the sounds of it, so no reason to think suddenly teams are going to be falling over themselves to be signing him up

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 23 Jan 2020 14:17

Hound yeah maybe, who knows though. He is obviously pretty settled here. I can imagine there could be a 2 year deal on the table if Bowen thinks he is worth it

He didn't get a lot of interest in the summer from the sounds of it, so no reason to think suddenly teams are going to be falling over themselves to be signing him up

But previously he was kicking his heels on the bench. He's come back into the side and done really well. I'm sure that'll tempt more suitors than before.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 23 Jan 2020 17:09

We need to cut costs in the Summer and the wages of Gunter and Mccleary are a good place to start.

They've been loyal servants to the club but their time is at an end here.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Jan 2020 17:15

Hound
Stranded
Snowflake Royal Good thought. Not the call I'd make, but does seem logical.

Can see the photos and the interview that Bowen was well chuffed with Olise. Good to see - being given some objectives to make it to the first team, and Olise achieving them

Fair play, that's great management.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 23 Jan 2020 17:40

muirinho
NewCorkSeth

I think you’re right. Suspect he is still angry about what happened in the summer and I do not blame him one jot for that. I liked Gomes but he made a big error in isolating three senior pro’s all of whom are model professionals. There was no need for it.
It also reduced Gomes options which was a bit stupid.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 23 Jan 2020 18:37

My talking points

1) Groundhog day

2) Blackett - dodgy pass to their attacker in our box. Good player, generally good game but it only takes one cockup for a goal to be conceded. A bi harsh though as he otherwise put in a good defensive performance.

3) Puscas - woeful. a) I likened him to Fozzy after the Cardiff game but I take that back, he can't play in a 451. At least twice this game and once last game just didn't seem to realise if you're the man up front you should come towards the ball to receive it. b) And another time with Obita streaming in on goal he decided to just get in Obita's way rather than go wide, drag a defender with him and make himself avaiable - exactly what he did what Swift had a similar chance in a previous game. Seems braindead in a team. He's all about individual excellence. Having said that he works well with Baldock but how much of that is down to Baldock I don't know. c) He dangerously lost the ball which almost lead to a goal, much like last game where it did actually lead to a goal.

4) Olise. Who needs Adam when you have him? Yet again spraying amazing balls around with fantastic accuracy. A very good player who will go far. Very impressed!

5) Bowen - tactics were spot on. Totally neutralised them, Sub was perfect.

6) Baldock - just brilliant. Insane acceleration, drive, brilliant goal.

Overall - lol @ Forest again :lol: :lol: :lol: and if we can go away after a demoralising away defeat to the Millwall and comfortably draw against a team looking for autopro we can be assured we are a very good team. I'd say we are easily a playoff worthy team given our impressive performances against teams up there. If we don't make it this season then look out Championship next season!

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 23 Jan 2020 18:46

Gunter is an interesting one.
I felt until the last two seasons he was always a six or seven type of player,but never an eight.
These last two seasons his form fell of a cliff and Gomes rightly felt at the time,that he was finished.Then low and behold he has come back since Leeds and Yids injury,and rediscovered his best form.Deffo worth another season,although he probably will want a two season contract.