BFTG Cardiff Home

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: BFTG Cardiff Home

by Lower West » 25 Jan 2020 23:10

marlowuk
So we have yet another game in our crowded schedule! Although it won't involve many (if any) of our regular first choice squad and it will be another run out for our youngsters and reserve squad members. That's a good thing - isn't it?

Bowen is setting the FA Cup "reserve teams" up in the same formation as the first team. Should any of the players be required to step up. They'll be in a position to slot straight in. Olise being an example vagainst Forest. Been a long time since I've seen such togetherness permutate through the whole club.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 25 Jan 2020 23:28

Snowflake Royal Meite certainly had an up and down game, but put the ball in the net twice and got through 1 on 1 too, I'll take that as a decent game given how much we've struggled with chances recently.

I thought he had a good game offensively but a real shocker defensively

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 25 Jan 2020 23:44

Nobody seems to know what these racist/homophobic chants were. From one of the Cardiff messageboards one of their supporter Trust guys saying there are no arrests and there will be no investigations.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 26 Jan 2020 00:00

I don’t get the 11 changes and a load of kids on the bench. We are not going’ to reach the playoffs. We are 15th in the league it ain’t going to happen. But we had a great chance of making the quarterfinals or more with a favourable draw. No replays and penalties from the next round onwards. Instead we have another unwanted replay a probable defeat and nothing to look forward to between now and May.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Jan 2020 00:35

Jackson Corner I don’t get the 11 changes and a load of kids on the bench. We are not going’ to reach the playoffs. We are 15th in the league it ain’t going to happen. But we had a great chance of making the quarterfinals or more with a favourable draw. No replays and penalties from the next round onwards. Instead we have another unwanted replay a probable defeat and nothing to look forward to between now and May.

You're a real glass half full chap aren't you.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 26 Jan 2020 00:39

Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ I thought most out there were average to be honest. No real stand out players, no one really poor

Apart from Loader. Sadly he was so far out of his depth again today and the more I’m seeing him, the more I question what does he actually have

The Aluko hate is predictable but also wrong considering him and Adam were our best two players in the first 60 minutes. But I’m not surprised to be honest

I think Bowen switching Aluko and Meite around was a shocking decision today, we know Aluko can’t play out wide and we know Meite can’t play up front. Desperately poor decision and didn’t do a single thing after that change

Best two players? oxf*rd hell. Aluko sprayed one good ball to McCleary but still so it bounced awkwardly to him, played Meite in once and had one mediocre shot and very little else.

The rest of the time he made some entirely regulation passes and otherwise stood watching, dribbled into trouble, gave the ball away and failed to play in people when he had the chance.

Even one of the times he did something good was only because when he dribbled entirely predictably into Bamba the defender got it caught in his feet and lost it straight back.

I'll grant you it was not a particularly bad game by his standards. But that's because his standards are atrocious.

Thought it was Aluko that had the cracking shot that led to the disallowed equaliser?

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 26 Jan 2020 00:45

St Pauli CBA to read the thread, what was the tannoy announcement about homophobia and ray cysts about?

No one seems to have heard anything apart from sheep shaggers songs (that's ok isnt it?!) But there was a PA announcement saying there has been racist and homophobic chanting (he may have used another word ) in the away fans section. At which point there was a huge cheer from the Cardiff fans.

As Zip said it looks as though no action will be taken

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 26 Jan 2020 00:47

Jackson Corner I don’t get the 11 changes and a load of kids on the bench. We are not going’ to reach the playoffs. We are 15th in the league it ain’t going to happen. But we had a great chance of making the quarterfinals or more with a favourable draw. No replays and penalties from the next round onwards. Instead we have another unwanted replay a probable defeat and nothing to look forward to between now and May.

We are still mathematically able to reach the play offs. It is not even February yet and the history of the Championship shows that there is always the potential for a team to put a run together late on. Our players have already proven they can go toe to toe with the best in the league and if we can get a decent striker in during the next week then we could really be in business.

We are not the only ones to treat this cup competition this way. We are not going to win it, even if we put out a full strength team, so there is nothing "to look forward to" about it.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 26 Jan 2020 01:42

sandman

We are still mathematically able to reach the play offs. It is not even February yet and the history of the Championship shows that there is always the potential for a team to put a run together late on. Our players have already proven they can go toe to toe with the best in the league and if we can get a decent striker in during the next week then we could really be in business.

We are not the only ones to treat this cup competition this way. We are not going to win it, even if we put out a full strength team, so there is nothing "to look forward to" about it.

A good cup run can push a season on that was McDermott’s view and I’ll go with the wisdom of our second best manager EVER. (you weird Brian hating cnuts - there’s a special place in hell for you)

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 26 Jan 2020 06:49

leon
sandman

A good cup run can push a season on that was McDermott’s view and I’ll go with the wisdom of our second best manager EVER. (you weird Brian hating cnuts - there’s a special place in hell for you)

Although you could go with our best ever manager, who used to prefer to use cup games to make sure his squad players were getting games and key players were not over used...
The stuff about cup runs leading to decent league form isn’t rubbish. I suspect if you analyse things many more teams see their league form slump as they switch focus to the cup. Teams have won the cup and been relegated in the same season ! Examples of cup runs and dramatic changes in league form would be interesting but I doubt they out number the reverse effect....our most recent cup run to Wembley did nothing for our league form did it !

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 26 Jan 2020 07:28

bcubed
St Pauli CBA to read the thread, what was the tannoy announcement about homophobia and ray cysts about?

No one seems to have heard anything apart from sheep shaggers songs (that's ok isnt it?!) But there was a PA announcement saying there has been racist and homophobic chanting (he may have used another word ) in the away fans section. At which point there was a huge cheer from the Cardiff fans.

As Zip said it looks as though no action will be taken

Apparently there were two separate incidents reported, one for racism and one for homophobia. Nothing to do with sheep shagging or anti-English songs. Cardiff fans seem to be taking the "we didn't hear it so it definitely didn't happen" view and are blaming Reading for tarnishing their good name with false accusations.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 26 Jan 2020 08:07

sandman

Did you go to Millwall? That was not a team capable of reaching the playoffs.....

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 26 Jan 2020 08:21

Last edited by Sutekh on 26 Jan 2020 08:26, edited 1 time in total.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Jan 2020 08:21

Nameless
leon
sandman

Although you could go with our best ever manager, who used to prefer to use cup games to make sure his squad players were getting games and key players were not over used...
The stuff about cup runs leading to decent league form isn’t rubbish. I suspect if you analyse things many more teams see their league form slump as they switch focus to the cup. Teams have won the cup and been relegated in the same season ! Examples of cup runs and dramatic changes in league form would be interesting but I doubt they out number the reverse effect....our most recent cup run to Wembley did nothing for our league form did it !

Well said.

I say again, for all those shitting the bed, our weakened team has got us through the third round and to a 4th replay, stop whinging like we lost and went out against Bblackpool.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Jan 2020 08:23

Jackson Corner
sandman

Did you go to Millwall? That was not a team capable of reaching the playoffs.....
did you go to Fulham, that was a team that could. :roll:

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 26 Jan 2020 08:28

leon
sandman

At last someone with some knowledge of football Brian was a great example of how a good cup improves your league form. He always fielded a strong team. After beating Liverpool to the quarter finals we went from relegation fodder to the brink of the playoffs likewise the season after quarter finals and the the playoff final.
I remember the season when SC made 11 changes at Cardiff and we went from top two certs to missing out after not winning a home game from February onwards. Coincidence.? Maybe but I really don’t get why so many managers treat the completion with such contempt.

Dr_Hfuhruhurr
Hob Nob Addict

by Dr_Hfuhruhurr » 26 Jan 2020 08:45

leon
sandman

Brian had a better squad than the squad now. Plus I'm not hugely convinced our first XI is that much better than our second XI so I can't see how their cup run would be that much better. Keep the cup squad as it is. Maybe if we had more match winners in our first squad I'd agree with you. But we don't.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 26 Jan 2020 09:29

Snowflake Royal
Jackson Corner
sandman

did you go to Fulham, that was a team that could. :roll:

And Preston...

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 26 Jan 2020 10:23

Jackson Corner
leon
sandman

At last someone with some knowledge of football Brian was a great example of how a good cup improves your league form. He always fielded a strong team. After beating Liverpool to the quarter finals we went from relegation fodder to the brink of the playoffs likewise the season after quarter finals and the the playoff final.
I remember the season when SC made 11 changes at Cardiff and we went from top two certs to missing out after not winning a home game from February onwards. Coincidence.? Maybe but I really don’t get why so many managers treat the completion with such contempt.

So much nonsense there !
Bowen isn’t treating the cup with contempt. He’s doing his job and managing his resources. From mid December into February we’ve had a lot of tough games, playing the same team every game would have been crazy with half the players knackered and the other half lacking matches, not a good combination !
Please do more than use a couple of examples to back up this idea that a good cup run equates to improved league form. I would suggest sometimes a team doing well in the cup also does well in the league, and sometimes a good cup run ruins your league form, I doubt very much there is a statistical correlation either way.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Jan 2020 11:12

The total lack of first team subs was certainly odd... even if the starting XI was fairly strong. Any chance Bowen is trying to make a statement about squad depth and signings?