BFTG Cardiff Home

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG Cardiff Home

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Jan 2020 20:20

Zip
Snowflake Royal It was only about 12 minutes with 10, they did a very good job to keep it level, but if we'd suddenly conceded 2 or 3 goals I think that would have been very disappointing. And I think it's a bit disrespectful to those players to suggest that as a likely outcome.

I think the general point is well made though. This was our reserve team with youngsters on the bench up against a decent and experienced Championship side and holding their own.

Yeah, that's why I said very good job to keep it even.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 27 Jan 2020 20:53

Tbh when we lost McIntyre thought that was game over. Considering the amount of corners etc they threw in we did very well to keep them and their collection of 6ft 4 inch+ donkeys out

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 27 Jan 2020 22:27

Hound Tbh when we lost McIntyre thought that was game over. Considering the amount of corners etc they threw in we did very well to keep them and their collection of 6ft 4 inch+ donkeys out

Well, to be fair, Bamba would have scored his chance 99 times out of 100, was that at 11 vs 11 or 10 vs 11?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 27 Jan 2020 23:43

URZZZZ
Hound Tbh when we lost McIntyre thought that was game over. Considering the amount of corners etc they threw in we did very well to keep them and their collection of 6ft 4 inch+ donkeys out

Well, to be fair, Bamba would have scored his chance 99 times out of 100, was that at 11 vs 11 or 10 vs 11?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 28 Jan 2020 00:00

Snowball I'm surprised there hasn't been all that much focus
on how well (results-wise) a THIRD-string defence
with only ten men did.

As things stand Miazga-McIntyre are back-up to Moore-Morrison.

Sure, they are more or less good enough for the first team, but, as
things stand that pairing is back-up to Moore-Morrison

To lose BOTH of those and be down to ten men, had we shipped 2, even 3 goals in the last minutes
it would hardly have been a surprise, especially with Cardiff going for the killer blow

(With CB-5 and CB-6 playing, GK2, FB 4/5, and only ten men) that was a helluva performance.

I thought Adam who played well almost for the whole 90, really showed his class
and leadership, taking the armband but offering it to others, then really pulling
the guys together, and getting second-teamers and boys to fight out the draw against
a strong team of men. Stellar!

Those criticising Aluko are showing their prejudices. He showed very well for
an hour then was moved position. Made a "goal" with a nice move and shot
reminiscent of v QPR in the 1-0 last season.

Thought both FBs did well, and Howe looked very decent.

Walker did well.

Most pleasing for me is that since Bowen has come in, going one down
is no longer the kiss of death.

How many times now have we come from behind to draw or win?

Under Bowen, we have gained 7 points from losing positions IIRC (QPR A, Wigan A, Barnsley A, Forest H, Forest A). This, obviously doesn’t include the two cup games against either Blackpool or Cardiff

On the flip side, we’ve dropped 0 points from winning positions so far under Bowen

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 28 Jan 2020 06:53

URZZZZ

Interestingly, I think it would have been ruled out anyway if VAR was in operation as Flint was offside before his overhead which set it up.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 28 Jan 2020 07:42

URZZZZ
Snowball Most pleasing for me is that since Bowen has come in, going one down

Under Bowen, we have gained 7 points from losing positions IIRC (QPR A, Wigan A, Barnsley A, Forest H, Forest A). This, obviously doesn’t include the two cup games against either Blackpool or Cardiff

On the flip side, we’ve dropped 0 points from winning positions so far under Bowen

Interesting point guys.

Comments I pulled from the Forest forum during the second game were celebrations followed immediately by a whole load of caution and fear, saying things like scoring with 11mins to go against Reading is too early. Yes I know they'll have been especially sensitive after the first game but still I think we probably have a reputation of being "a bit nasty" or whatever it is Bowen said. We're a tough team to play and teams don't enjoy it even when 1-0 up. What a massive difference to pre-Bowen.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Jan 2020 08:38

Franchise FC
URZZZZ

Interestingly, I think it would have been ruled out anyway if VAR was in operation as Flint was offside before his overhead which set it up.

yep thought that as well

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 28 Jan 2020 08:48

BBC highlights of the game are disappointing, a lot of shots from Cardiff going wide or over, but failed to show Meite's one on one or the offside goal. :roll: Stil lol at Bamba's miss. :lol:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Jan 2020 09:04

PieEater BBC highlights of the game are disappointing, a lot of shots from Cardiff going wide or over, but failed to show Meite's one on one or the offside goal. :roll: Stil lol at Bamba's miss. :lol:

Probably chose not to show the one on one because of the announcement during it.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 28 Jan 2020 10:05

2 world wars, 1 world cup
URZZZZ
Snowball Most pleasing for me is that since Bowen has come in, going one down

Interesting point guys.

Comments I pulled from the Forest forum during the second game were celebrations followed immediately by a whole load of caution and fear, saying things like scoring with 11mins to go against Reading is too early. Yes I know they'll have been especially sensitive after the first game but still I think we probably have a reputation of being "a bit nasty" or whatever it is Bowen said. We're a tough team to play and teams don't enjoy it even when 1-0 up. What a massive difference to pre-Bowen.

Yeah, I do also think we’re a hard team to put away

Infact the loss at Millwall was our first away loss by more than 1 goal all season, and our first at all under Bowen

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Jan 2020 10:10

URZZZZ
URZZZZ

Interesting point guys.

Infact the loss at Millwall was our first away loss by more than 1 goal all season, and our first at all under Bowen

Tbf, some of that started under Gomes. We did manage to sneak quite a few important last minute goals etc

I do think there is a real spirit about the side now and its great to see. We are definitely now a much less pleasant team to play against. As Bowen said, no more 'come to Reading and play your nice football'

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 28 Jan 2020 12:14

Hound
URZZZZ
Interesting point guys.

Tbf, some of that started under Gomes. We did manage to sneak quite a few important last minute goals etc

I do think there is a real spirit about the side now and its great to see. We are definitely now a much less pleasant team to play against. As Bowen said, no more 'come to Reading and play your nice football'

Actually I’d argue it started under Clement

Unfortunately I think the players were too mentally weak to properly
carry it out then

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Jan 2020 12:15

URZZZZ
Hound
URZZZZ

carry it out then

yes, fair. Stoke I remember, also winning a penalty (missed) at Leeds spring to mind. Oh and Villa away.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 28 Jan 2020 13:22

URZZZZ
Hound
URZZZZ

carry it out then

It's interesting that, because if you look who has come in, who has gone, who has stayed - it's hard to pinpoint any particular players that were "mentally weak" out of who has gone or are "mentally strong" now.
I mean, back in the "mentally weak" days, I bet people would have been pointing the finger at the likes of, say, Swift, Gunter, Blackett as "weak", and maybe picking ones like, say, McShane, Kermorgant, van den Berg, as "strong"

And yet the team does seem a lot less fragile now, when some of those "weak" ones are still here, and "strong" ones have left.

So (a) maybe it's nothing to do with the players character at all, and is all down to the manager/coaching team. Or (b) we're not very good at identifying who is a leader in the team, and who isn't. Or both.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 28 Jan 2020 13:31

muirinho
URZZZZ
Hound

carry it out then

It's interesting that, because if you look who has come in, who has gone, who has stayed - it's hard to pinpoint any particular players that were "mentally weak" out of who has gone or are "mentally strong" now.
I mean, back in the "mentally weak" days, I bet people would have been pointing the finger at the likes of, say, Swift, Gunter, Blackett as "weak", and maybe picking ones like, say, McShane, Kermorgant, van den Berg, as "strong"

And yet the team does seem a lot less fragile now, when some of those "weak" ones are still here, and "strong" ones have left.

So (a) maybe it's nothing to do with the players character at all, and is all down to the manager/coaching team. Or (b) we're not very good at identifying who is a leader in the team, and who isn't. Or both.

For me Adam and Morrison are much better leaders than any we have had previously. From what I hear Moore is highly respected by the players and his attitude to battling through his various injuries must be inspirational. I’ve also heard good things about McLeary and his influence around the place.
I think sometimes it’s down to a mix of players rather than just individuals. Perhaps a couple,of, years ago the squad wasn’t well bonded, and now they have found a bit more of a collective spirit.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Jan 2020 13:41

Swift is a great example of someone maturing and leading. Its very interesting now that Bowen just puts him wherever a problem is - not controlling possession - he puts him CDM. Need to create more - he puts him CAM etc. And now he always shows for the ball rather than going off and hiding when the going gets tough

I'd put a massive amount down to Bowen and co and maybe the players themselves (led by Moore) realising they needed to step up.

Baldock and McCleary are definitely 2 who are cited as good pros who Gomes foolishly sidelined

Yann strikes me as someone who led well when we were doing well, but became an issue when we weren't - guessing his shouting at team mates and sulk with the manager (PC) didnt really go down to well

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 28 Jan 2020 13:47

Hound Swift is a great example of someone maturing and leading. Its very interesting now that Bowen just puts him wherever a problem is - not controlling possession - he puts him CDM. Need to create more - he puts him CAM etc. And now he always shows for the ball rather than going off and hiding when the going gets tough

I'd put a massive amount down to Bowen and co and maybe the players themselves (led by Moore) realising they needed to step up.

Yann strikes me as someone who led well when we were doing well, but became an issue when we weren't - guessing his shouting at team mates and sulk with the manager (PC) didnt really go down to well

Good point, and I'd put VdB in that category as well. Additionally I'd say players who are willing to talk to the media after heavy defeats and bad seasons are stronger, and have more respect, than ones that aren't - compare Gunter doing the media after the collapse at Norwich with McShane having a sulk at Stevenage, for instance.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Jan 2020 18:52

Really good points all round here.

Definitely something to the idea there were no, or at least not many, clear troublemakers, but also to the idea that some of those who were less strong have really matured. And of course the manager is always key.

I think Clement could have done a lot better here under better circumstances... Gomes I'm not so sure on. Stam, don't think so.