BFTG Bristol citeh.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG Bristol citeh.

by Hound » 30 Jan 2020 09:04

Seems there is a fair chance Boye will be returned unless there is an injury that we don't know about

That would free up two loans. That would make sense to me to use them - think Wickham at CP might be a reasonable shout personally - would help us short term in Joao's absence and Palace want him back to full fitness

One thing I don't want us to do is spend a load of cash on someone really. I'd much rather us clear the decks in May and then work on filling the gaps from there.

I'd happily take Laurent though if we can get a reasonable deal for him

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 30 Jan 2020 09:10

2 world wars, 1 world cup I don't think their goal can be blamed on anyone. It was a good goal. These things happen.

What pisses me off is that too many of our players were just being shite. Olise went from awesome to just some kid who disappeared. Puscas way out of his depth as lone striker. Ejaria decided he couldn't be bothered. Swift had an awful game and was rightly subbed off.

Reminded me of Millwall where we seemed not to give a shit. Second to most balls. Stray passes.

I know it's been said to death and is bloody obvious but without João up front we are lost. The players don't know what to do with the ball so they dick around for too long.

I'm a little disappointed that Bowen who seems a tactical pro hasn't yet figured out that without João this isn't working and we need a different system. I didn't think this was necessarily the case when someone suggested it here after Millwall but I'm beginning to change my mind. Or perhaps we just really miss Adam.

agree on that last bit and i never thought id say that when we first got him in

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 30 Jan 2020 09:16

NewCorkSeth
Old Man Andrews I am disappointed the club didn't move quicker to try and get a like for like striker in when Joao's injury and recovery time were revealed. We should have acted far quicker.

Not having a go at you but how do you know they didnt act quickly? January is a tough month for transfers. We spent a large amount in the summer and have commitments to pay off players for the next couple of years.

Diving in and signing anyone is how to get relegated. I saw someone in twitter complaining about our scouts. Saying what do they even do. This was in response to the news we are trying to sign Araruna (spelling?). Everyone is convinced we need a striker but nobody can say where we can get one and most wont address the obvious issue we have with decision making in the final 3rd. Were not scoring because players are making the wrong choices in possession. It's not solely down to Puscas and Baldock. They get oxf*rd all help.

Anyway, I think we have the strikers we need. We just need the players we do have to grow into the game quickly or we replace them in the summer.

I agree we have probably been looking and it's hard.

I don't agree that the reason we're not scoring is down to the midfield, or that our strikers are good enough for the current system. The midfield is doing a good enough job, although I would like to see Adam back asap. as I feel we're massivley missing him.

Are they good enoguh strikers though? Yeah I'd say Baldock, Puscas and Meite are all decent enough strikers when used in the way they should be. But if we're to persevere with this shape they are not the strikers we need at all.

Of the 3 I'd have thought Meite would most likely to hold a ball up in terms of strength but I don't think he's good enough with the ball to do enough with it.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Jan 2020 09:35

2 world wars, 1 world cup
NewCorkSeth
Old Man Andrews I am disappointed the club didn't move quicker to try and get a like for like striker in when Joao's injury and recovery time were revealed. We should have acted far quicker.

Not having a go at you but how do you know they didnt act quickly? January is a tough month for transfers. We spent a large amount in the summer and have commitments to pay off players for the next couple of years.

Diving in and signing anyone is how to get relegated. I saw someone in twitter complaining about our scouts. Saying what do they even do. This was in response to the news we are trying to sign Araruna (spelling?). Everyone is convinced we need a striker but nobody can say where we can get one and most wont address the obvious issue we have with decision making in the final 3rd. Were not scoring because players are making the wrong choices in possession. It's not solely down to Puscas and Baldock. They get oxf*rd all help.

Anyway, I think we have the strikers we need. We just need the players we do have to grow into the game quickly or we replace them in the summer.

I don't agree that the reason we're not scoring is down to the midfield, or that our strikers are good enough for the current system. The midfield is doing a good enough job, although I would like to see Adam back asap. as I feel we're massivley missing him.

Are they good enoguh strikers though? Yeah I'd say Baldock, Puscas and Meite are all decent enough strikers when used in the way they should be. But if we're to persevere with this shape they are not the strikers we need at all.

Of the 3 I'd have thought Meite would most likely to hold a ball up in terms of strength but I don't think he's good enough with the ball to do enough with it.

Decision making all round not just in midfield. Obita has a hell of a cross but doesnt seem to hit them first time often, Blackett also has a great cross and hardly ever seems interested in doing so first time. Gunter hits them first time and usually well enough but doesnt get put away enough with the silky passing usually reserved for the left flank. Ejaria keeps the ball a little too long most of the time, Swift can be guilty of that too but mostly he is guilty of being too clever in the final third. Meite when aud out right almost never gets any opportunity to make a good decision with how deep he is asked to start play from. Baldock makes runs too soon, Puscas makes runs too wide, Olise lacks experience and Adam, does very little wrong in the final third.. but has been known to shoot on sight. That can certainly slow down momentum.

Overall our scoring problem is not "our strikers arent good enough". Its "our attacking play isnt good enough".

Every other part of play we do well. We defend as a unit, the transition from defenders to midfield is superb. Swift in particular is phenomenal at getting out wide players into valuable positions. Then it falls apart. We need to be smarter when around the opposition box.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 30 Jan 2020 09:45

NewCorkSeth
NewCorkSeth Not having a go at you but how do you know they didnt act quickly? January is a tough month for transfers. We spent a large amount in the summer and have commitments to pay off players for the next couple of years.

Decision making all round not just in midfield. Obita has a hell of a cross but doesnt seem to hit them first time often, Blackett also has a great cross and hardly ever seems interested in doing so first time. Gunter hits them first time and usually well enough but doesnt get put away enough with the silky passing usually reserved for the left flank. Ejaria keeps the ball a little too long most of the time, Swift can be guilty of that too but mostly he is guilty of being too clever in the final third. Meite when aud out right almost never gets any opportunity to make a good decision with how deep he is asked to start play from. Baldock makes runs too soon, Puscas makes runs too wide, Olise lacks experience and Adam, does very little wrong in the final third.. but has been known to shoot on sight. That can certainly slow down momentum.

Overall our scoring problem is not "our strikers arent good enough". Its "our attacking play isnt good enough".

Every other part of play we do well. We defend as a unit, the transition from defenders to midfield is superb. Swift in particular is phenomenal at getting out wide players into valuable positions. Then it falls apart. We need to be smarter when around the opposition box.

All good points thanks.

But these niggly issues have always existed, will continue to exist and Bowen is no doubt working with them daily to iron them out. If we or any team absolutely irons everything out they won't be messing around in the champ probably.

The point is that with the agreed above "warts and all", our players and attacking play was clearly "good enough" when we had Joao as a target man. Maybe not Liverpool levels of finesse, but good enough to win matches at this level.

Sure we can improve in many areas but they haven't suddenly become issues overnight. What has become an issue overnight is Joao's injury and while we're continuing to patch up the rest of the longstanding issues it would be ideal to get a like-for-like target man in. Or change system while we don't have one.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Jan 2020 10:00

NewCorkSeth

All good points thanks.

But these niggly issues have always existed, will continue to exist and Bowen is no doubt working with them daily to iron them out. If we or any team absolutely irons everything out they won't be messing around in the champ probably.

The point is that with the agreed above "warts and all", our players and attacking play was clearly "good enough" when we had Joao as a target man. Maybe not Liverpool levels of finesse, but good enough to win matches at this level.

Sure we can improve in many areas but they haven't suddenly become issues overnight. What has become an issue overnight is Joao's injury and while we're continuing to patch up the rest of the longstanding issues it would be ideal to get a like-for-like target man in. Or change system while we don't have one.

My opinion on why Joao worked so well it that his hold up ability was key in enabling our best transitional player (Swift) from starting passages of play deep in our own half to get to the opposition area and create problems there. Currently he is running up and down the pitch unable to contribute evenly at both ends. Because there just isnt enough time for him to do so.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Jan 2020 11:49

NewCorkSeth
Old Man Andrews
2 world wars, 1 world cup I don't think their goal can be blamed on anyone. It was a good goal. These things happen.

What pisses me off is that too many of our players were just being shite. Olise went from awesome to just some kid who disappeared. Puscas way out of his depth as lone striker. Ejaria decided he couldn't be bothered. Swift had an awful game and was rightly subbed off.

Reminded me of Millwall where we seemed not to give a shit. Second to most balls. Stray passes.

I know it's been said to death and is bloody obvious but without João up front we are lost. The players don't know what to do with the ball so they dick around for too long.

I'm a little disappointed that Bowen who seems a tactical pro hasn't yet figured out that without João this isn't working and we need a different system. I didn't think this was necessarily the case when someone suggested it here after Millwall but I'm beginning to change my mind. Or perhaps we just really miss Adam.

I am disappointed the club didn't move quicker to try and get a like for like striker in when Joao's injury and recovery time were revealed. We should have acted far quicker.

Good point Seth.

Worth remembering we're also over stocked on strikers as it is. So anything we so is limited by needing to shift one out or it be a loan.

We have:
Meite
Puscas
Joao
Baldock
Loader
Boye

Not including House. That's a hell of a lot for a team who is trying to play one upfront, even if some can play elsewhere.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Jan 2020 12:04

its true, but Joao is possibly out for the season, Boye has been sidelined, Loader is no good/uninterested/still to develop, Puscas is carrying an injury/off form and Baldock is never more than 3 games away from a muscle injury. And Meite is better on the wing.

I could definitely see the benefit in brining in an experienced target man to play either the lone role or to pair with Puscas or Baldock.

Two who I personally would look at would be Wickham and Leon Clarke. They are obviously only short term and just to ensure we end the season in the right way.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 30 Jan 2020 12:05

NewCorkSeth
NewCorkSeth Not having a go at you but how do you know they didnt act quickly? January is a tough month for transfers. We spent a large amount in the summer and have commitments to pay off players for the next couple of years.

Agree to an extent. But there were times on Tuesday we had no men in the box. It wasn’t until the last couple of minutes we got men in there

Or it’s just Puscas or Baldock in there. The likelihood is, against two big CB’s, they’re not going to do anything in the air. So I can sort of see, in this example, why the fullbacks were a bit more reluctant to cross on Tuesday

Which is why we either need an additional body in there (i.e. two up top) or someone taller who can be more of a physical presence

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 30 Jan 2020 12:10

Oliveria would be useful right now.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Jan 2020 12:13

URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth

Agree to an extent. But there were times on Tuesday we had no men in the box. It wasn’t until the last couple of minutes we got men in there

Or it’s just Puscas or Baldock in there. The likelihood is, against two big CB’s, they’re not going to do anything in the air. So I can sort of see, in this example, why the fullbacks were a bit more reluctant to cross on Tuesday

Which is why we either need an additional body in there (i.e. two up top) or someone taller who can be more of a physical presence

I would agree if Puscas didnt have a truck load of video clips of him winning headers in the box for Romania and Romania u21s. The reason he isnt in the box is either down to the position he is being asked to play (a deeper fulcrum in the Joao mould) or he is regressing badly and quickly.

Puscas is 6ft1. Same height as Moore. Moore can beat plenty of large forwards and CBs to a header. It's not about his height vs their height.

For example on tuesday there was a great cross from Obita which Mick and Tim lamented Puscas not getting to. I watched it on replay a few times and it was almost directly over him. Ronaldo wouldnt have been able to jump and get that.

Now whether that was down to Puscas running too early or not I dont know but not every cross will find a target. It's a numbers game. We seem to but in 1 cross like that a match and never do it again. If we pumped balls like that into Puscas all game he would score a hell of a lot more.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 30 Jan 2020 12:23

Zip
Forbury Lion
RoyalBlue

Even if you're prepared to pay a tenner you still have to turn up early to ensure getting a space. The Holiday Inn Car Park was full and blocked off by 7pm last night. If you turn up there and find it full you then have to try to work out where else you can park safely.

Shinfield Park park and ride is free parking and £4.50 for 1 person return of £5.50 for a group of 5 (now I'm thinking I might have to find 4 other randoms to ticket share with and save £17 between us)

There never seem to be any queues for Shinfield Park post match. In fact they always seem to have too many buses.
There's sometimes a short queue which goes down quickly - often it's people who decline a standing spot on the bus and in favour of a seat on the next one

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 30 Jan 2020 12:28

Jagermesiter1871 Oliveria would be useful right now.

+1. Rumoured to be keen to leave Greece, but can't see AEK letting him go out on loan.

Do slightly think that João is one of the players whose worth increases the more he doesn't play. Yes, he's had a couple of decent games, but he's had an equal number of really poor ones. We really could do with a hold-up striker though, Wickham's a good shout, especially if Palace get someone else in.

Failing all that, you have to play Puscas and Baldock together. Puscas is useless on his own, but there's been a few signs of much better attacking force when they've played together.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 30 Jan 2020 12:48

I agree with Seth in that I feel that we carry on playing as if there were a hold-up striker when there isn't one.

It looks as though Joao is the only one of our many strikers who can play the target strong man and if he doesn't play it's up to the 5 others to get up and support the lone striker as quickly as possible-there was on Tuesday too much of playing the ball up in the general direction of Puscas and let him get on with it.

Our best 2 clubs in England play with one central striker but the wider 2 and other midfielders bust a gut to get alongside Firminho and Aguero as quickly and as often as they can.

With Joao out we either need to bring in somebody similar or adapt to the different type of striker that all our others are and not just carry on playing as if Joao were still there.

BTW I am starting to get the impression that Joao is falling into that category of being perceived as a better player, the longer he is out-see also Obita last season .

download

by download » 30 Jan 2020 13:22

Jagermesiter1871
RoyalBlue
BraisingsteakRoyal
To be honest - paying a tenner for 2 hours parking absolutely puts me off going too. For me to get to a midweek game I have to drive home after work (Bracknell to Baso) - sort the kids out - and then rush straight back up the A33 to get there for 8pm.

I don't mind paying £25 for a ticket - but to then add another £10 on every time - i'm out.*

Do £1 parking for midweek games and i'm back in.

* yes there probably are slightly cheaper alternatives, but given the rush to get to the ground after work anyway - adding in a bus, car share, longer walk - and its just too much hassle.

Even if you're prepared to pay a tenner you still have to turn up early to ensure getting a space. The Holiday Inn Car Park was full and blocked off by 7pm last night. If you turn up there and find it full you then have to try to work out where else you can park safely.

I just park in B&Q or Costco usually. I thought thats what everyone did.

Costco is locked up mid week and has vans with ANPR in the car park on Saturdays to catch anyone spending more than 2 Hours in the car park. It’s what I used to do as if meant it would pick up a few things after the game while the traffic went down.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Jan 2020 13:35

Hound its true, but Joao is possibly out for the season, Boye has been sidelined, Loader is no good/uninterested/still to develop, Puscas is carrying an injury/off form and Baldock is never more than 3 games away from a muscle injury. And Meite is better on the wing.

I could definitely see the benefit in brining in an experienced target man to play either the lone role or to pair with Puscas or Baldock.

Two who I personally would look at would be Wickham and Leon Clarke. They are obviously only short term and just to ensure we end the season in the right way.

There's obvious benefit but also draw backs. Just don't rate Wickham.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Jan 2020 13:46

South Coast Royal BTW I am starting to get the impression that Joao is falling into that category of being perceived as a better player, the longer he is out-see also Obita last season .

I've always rated Joao and was delighted when we signed him

But in this case, I think its not a judgement of how good a player he is, but how he fits into the system. He could certainly be replaced with a similar target man