BFTG Bristol citeh.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG Bristol citeh

by Zip » 29 Jan 2020 17:01

Snowflake Royal
Zip The first thing that surprised me was how poor the attendance was. Less than 10,000 Reading fans at the game. Woeful.
It was reflected in a subdued atmosphere and lethargic start by the team

The first half was cagey and a bit of a non event. We started the second half more brightly and Ejaria had a great chance which he struck over the bar. We then concede the softest of goals out of nothing with dreadful positioning by our defence allowing their player a simple finish. Thereafter we fell apart. This really felt like shades of the dregs of the Stam era and Clement’s time at the club. Yet another soft home defeat of which there have been far too many in recent years.

In the final few minutes we finally managed to put them under concerted pressure and would have been good value for the draw. City were bang average but defended very well. They dominated our strikers inside their penalty box winning virtually every header.

Bowen got it wrong tonight. We were crying out for Adam in the second half to give us a measure of control as both Swift and Ejaria were very poor. We also desperately lack an out and out winger which should be our focus alongside a big striker in this transfer window.

So what next? Surely the formation has to change? We need to play two upfront unless we can bring in somebody who can hold up and lay off the ball. With just two points from our last four League games we can forget about the play offs so Bowen needs to rethink his team selection for the Cup game because it has backfired. We haven’t won in the League since he decided to play our reserves v Blackpool.

Pele was for me our best player by miles tonight showing real vision with his passing and being one of the few players to win some tackles. Most of the rest were either average or poor

Lol at the idea playing different players in different games in a different competition has caused our first team to underperform recently.

For everyone saying the season's over, concentrate on the cup and play the reserves in the league - that's a very quick way to risk making the season firmly not over.

We aren't safe yet. We still need about 18 points. And we don't want to finish low again, so actually we really need at least 25 to enter next season with any form of positivity and momentum.

We certainly won’t need another 18 points for safety. Probably at most 12 more points will be required. If that. Who is saying play the reserves in the League? Once we are safe let’s introduce some peripheral players and see how they do.

The point I’ve made is relevant though. Bowen has held back our first teamers from the Cup games do that we could get results in the League and it hasn’t happened. So let’s take the Cup more seriously. If we lose in the Cup the season is going to peter out and gates will plummet.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG Bristol citeh.

by Zip » 29 Jan 2020 17:05

Forbury Lion
RoyalBlue
BraisingsteakRoyal
To be honest - paying a tenner for 2 hours parking absolutely puts me off going too. For me to get to a midweek game I have to drive home after work (Bracknell to Baso) - sort the kids out - and then rush straight back up the A33 to get there for 8pm.

I don't mind paying £25 for a ticket - but to then add another £10 on every time - i'm out.*

Do £1 parking for midweek games and i'm back in.

* yes there probably are slightly cheaper alternatives, but given the rush to get to the ground after work anyway - adding in a bus, car share, longer walk - and its just too much hassle.

Even if you're prepared to pay a tenner you still have to turn up early to ensure getting a space. The Holiday Inn Car Park was full and blocked off by 7pm last night. If you turn up there and find it full you then have to try to work out where else you can park safely.

Shinfield Park park and ride is free parking and £4.50 for 1 person return of £5.50 for a group of 5 (now I'm thinking I might have to find 4 other randoms to ticket share with and save £17 between us)

There never seem to be any queues for Shinfield Park post match. In fact they always seem to have too many buses.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 29 Jan 2020 17:28

Zip
Snowflake Royal
The point I’ve made is relevant though. Bowen has held back our first teamers from the Cup games do that we could get results in the League and it hasn’t happened. So let’s take the Cup more seriously. If we lose in the Cup the season is going to peter out and gates will plummet.

Given the size of the playing squad. Those appearing in the cup should equally be first teamers. Unfortunately we lack a depth of adequate replacements currently. There's promising signs for the future though.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 29 Jan 2020 17:33

Lower West
Zip
Snowflake Royal

Given the size of the playing squad. Those appearing in the cup should equally be first teamers. Unfortunately we lack a depth of adequate replacements currently. There's promising signs for the future though.

Sure. Most are pushing for a starting place but there is no need for the Academy boys on the bench. The subs need to be first teamers for the replay. Personally I’d prefer a bit of mix and match in the starting line up though. So on Tuesday night no problem if McIntyre starts but alongside Morrison rather than say Burley or Osho.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Jan 2020 17:43

Zip
Snowflake Royal
Zip The first thing that surprised me was how poor the attendance was. Less than 10,000 Reading fans at the game. Woeful.
It was reflected in a subdued atmosphere and lethargic start by the team

The first half was cagey and a bit of a non event. We started the second half more brightly and Ejaria had a great chance which he struck over the bar. We then concede the softest of goals out of nothing with dreadful positioning by our defence allowing their player a simple finish. Thereafter we fell apart. This really felt like shades of the dregs of the Stam era and Clement’s time at the club. Yet another soft home defeat of which there have been far too many in recent years.

In the final few minutes we finally managed to put them under concerted pressure and would have been good value for the draw. City were bang average but defended very well. They dominated our strikers inside their penalty box winning virtually every header.

Bowen got it wrong tonight. We were crying out for Adam in the second half to give us a measure of control as both Swift and Ejaria were very poor. We also desperately lack an out and out winger which should be our focus alongside a big striker in this transfer window.

So what next? Surely the formation has to change? We need to play two upfront unless we can bring in somebody who can hold up and lay off the ball. With just two points from our last four League games we can forget about the play offs so Bowen needs to rethink his team selection for the Cup game because it has backfired. We haven’t won in the League since he decided to play our reserves v Blackpool.

Pele was for me our best player by miles tonight showing real vision with his passing and being one of the few players to win some tackles. Most of the rest were either average or poor

Lol at the idea playing different players in different games in a different competition has caused our first team to underperform recently.

For everyone saying the season's over, concentrate on the cup and play the reserves in the league - that's a very quick way to risk making the season firmly not over.

We aren't safe yet. We still need about 18 points. And we don't want to finish low again, so actually we really need at least 25 to enter next season with any form of positivity and momentum.

We certainly won’t need another 18 points for safety. Probably at most 12 more points will be required. If that. Who is saying play the reserves in the League? Once we are safe let’s introduce some peripheral players and see how they do.

someone else said it in the first page I think it was.

All for throwing games to the inexperienced once we've hit 50 points and are looking good for mid-table.

On that showing there's a decent chance playing the first team in the cup would see us out already. Bowen's mostly getting it right.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 29 Jan 2020 17:48

Snowflake Royal
Zip
Snowflake Royal Lol at the idea playing different players in different games in a different competition has caused our first team to underperform recently.

someone else said it in the first page I think it was.

All for throwing games to the inexperienced once we've hit 50 points and are looking good for mid-table.

On that showing there's a decent chance playing the first team in the cup would see us out already. Bowen's mostly getting it right.

Yes he’s been fine overall.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Jan 2020 17:55

What I’ve liked about him so far is he has made changes and adapted where necessary

He has a big call to make now in that the system that was working so well is broken. I’m looking forward to how he changes it

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 29 Jan 2020 17:59

Zip
Lower West
Zip

Sure. Most are pushing for a starting place but there is no need for the Academy boys on the bench. The subs need to be first teamers for the replay. Personally I’d prefer a bit of mix and match in the starting line up though. So on Tuesday night no problem if McIntyre starts but alongside Morrison rather than say Burley or Osho.

Appears as if Blackett has declined the contract offer that's on the table. Wonder how Bowen will play this one.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Jan 2020 18:06

Lower West
Zip
Lower West

Appears as if Blackett has declined the contract offer that's on the table. Wonder how Bowen will play this one.

Depends a bit on if he signs a pre contract with a Turkish club I expect

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 29 Jan 2020 18:12

Lower West
Zip
Lower West

A bit surprised by that. Perhaps he will run down his contract and leave on a free in the summer. It’s not ideal and may force Bowen to drop him.

ElmPark1988

by ElmPark1988 » 29 Jan 2020 20:16

Noticed Blackett getting stick for not tracking back for the City goal. Take a look at Sky highlights - I think it was Pele whop let Paterson get away by stopping his tracking run for some reason (He did have a very good game otherwise!)

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 29 Jan 2020 21:09

RoyalBlue
BraisingsteakRoyal
download The club are paying the price for not having enough sensible parking. Those places you could park for free or pay for and get out in reasonable time have all gone.
In my case I catch the bus. So it normally a wait followed by a crush on the bus when it turns up. Not such a big issue or a reasonable warm Saturday afternoon, but after a poor performance on a cold mid week night its no fun, regardless of whatever the price of the ticket is.

To be honest - paying a tenner for 2 hours parking absolutely puts me off going too. For me to get to a midweek game I have to drive home after work (Bracknell to Baso) - sort the kids out - and then rush straight back up the A33 to get there for 8pm.

I don't mind paying £25 for a ticket - but to then add another £10 on every time - i'm out.*

Do £1 parking for midweek games and i'm back in.

* yes there probably are slightly cheaper alternatives, but given the rush to get to the ground after work anyway - adding in a bus, car share, longer walk - and its just too much hassle.

Even if you're prepared to pay a tenner you still have to turn up early to ensure getting a space. The Holiday Inn Car Park was full and blocked off by 7pm last night. If you turn up there and find it full you then have to try to work out where else you can park safely.

I just park in B&Q or Costco usually. I thought thats what everyone did.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 29 Jan 2020 22:05

ElmPark1988 Noticed Blackett getting stick for not tracking back for the City goal. Take a look at Sky highlights - I think it was Pele whop let Paterson get away by stopping his tracking run for some reason (He did have a very good game otherwise!)

Yeah, in the post match comments, Bowen talked about the midfield not doing their jobs wrt that goal.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 29 Jan 2020 22:36

ElmPark1988 Noticed Blackett getting stick for not tracking back for the City goal. Take a look at Sky highlights - I think it was Pele whop let Paterson get away by stopping his tracking run for some reason (He did have a very good game otherwise!)

Yes up to the goal,I thought Pele was excellent;then his game fell apart.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 29 Jan 2020 23:58

I don't think their goal can be blamed on anyone. It was a good goal. These things happen.

What pisses me off is that too many of our players were just being shite. Olise went from awesome to just some kid who disappeared. Puscas way out of his depth as lone striker. Ejaria decided he couldn't be bothered. Swift had an awful game and was rightly subbed off.

Reminded me of Millwall where we seemed not to give a shit. Second to most balls. Stray passes.

I know it's been said to death and is bloody obvious but without João up front we are lost. The players don't know what to do with the ball so they dick around for too long.

I'm a little disappointed that Bowen who seems a tactical pro hasn't yet figured out that without João this isn't working and we need a different system. I didn't think this was necessarily the case when someone suggested it here after Millwall but I'm beginning to change my mind. Or perhaps we just really miss Adam.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 30 Jan 2020 07:54

2 world wars, 1 world cup I don't think their goal can be blamed on anyone. It was a good goal. These things happen.

What pisses me off is that too many of our players were just being shite. Olise went from awesome to just some kid who disappeared. Puscas way out of his depth as lone striker. Ejaria decided he couldn't be bothered. Swift had an awful game and was rightly subbed off.

Reminded me of Millwall where we seemed not to give a shit. Second to most balls. Stray passes.

I know it's been said to death and is bloody obvious but without João up front we are lost. The players don't know what to do with the ball so they dick around for too long.

I'm a little disappointed that Bowen who seems a tactical pro hasn't yet figured out that without João this isn't working and we need a different system. I didn't think this was necessarily the case when someone suggested it here after Millwall but I'm beginning to change my mind. Or perhaps we just really miss Adam.

I am disappointed the club didn't move quicker to try and get a like for like striker in when Joao's injury and recovery time were revealed. We should have acted far quicker.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 30 Jan 2020 08:33

Old Man Andrews
2 world wars, 1 world cup

I am disappointed the club didn't move quicker to try and get a like for like striker in when Joao's injury and recovery time were revealed. We should have acted far quicker.

Yes mate agreed that would be another option, and perhaps they have been trying and are still trying, who knows.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Jan 2020 08:44

Old Man Andrews
2 world wars, 1 world cup I don't think their goal can be blamed on anyone. It was a good goal. These things happen.

Not having a go at you but how do you know they didnt act quickly? January is a tough month for transfers. We spent a large amount in the summer and have commitments to pay off players for the next couple of years.

Diving in and signing anyone is how to get relegated. I saw someone in twitter complaining about our scouts. Saying what do they even do. This was in response to the news we are trying to sign Araruna (spelling?). Everyone is convinced we need a striker but nobody can say where we can get one and most wont address the obvious issue we have with decision making in the final 3rd. Were not scoring because players are making the wrong choices in possession. It's not solely down to Puscas and Baldock. They get oxf*rd all help.

Anyway, I think we have the strikers we need. We just need the players we do have to grow into the game quickly or we replace them in the summer.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 30 Jan 2020 08:47

NewCorkSeth
Old Man Andrews

Not having a go at you but how do you know they didnt act quickly? January is a tough month for transfers. We spent a large amount in the summer and have commitments to pay off players for the next couple of years.

Diving in and signing anyone is how to get relegated. I saw someone in twitter complaining about our scouts. Saying what do they even do. This was in response to the news we are trying to sign Araruna (spelling?). Everyone is convinced we need a striker but nobody can say where we can get one and most wont address the obvious issue we have with decision making in the final 3rd. Were not scoring because players are making the wrong choices in possession. It's not solely down to Puscas and Baldock. They get oxf*rd all help.

Anyway, I think we have the strikers we need. We just need the players we do have to grow into the game quickly or we replace them in the summer.

I think with the loan slot freed up by sending Virginia back to Everton it would have been a bit of a free hit to get someone in on loan, maybe someone like a Nuhiu at Sheffield Wednesday, someone of that ilk. You're right we could have tried to for all we know, just from the outside looking in I don't think we did.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Jan 2020 08:51

Old Man Andrews
NewCorkSeth
Old Man Andrews I am disappointed the club didn't move quicker to try and get a like for like striker in when Joao's injury and recovery time were revealed. We should have acted far quicker.

I think with the loan slot freed up by sending Virginia back to Everton it would have been a bit of a free hit to get someone in on loan, maybe someone like a Nuhiu at Sheffield Wednesday, someone of that ilk. You're right we could have tried to for all we know, just from the outside looking in I don't think we did.

A loan would be great, but they would have to be a strong, physical player capable of holding the ball up, playing with back to goal and winning aerial duels. That is a tough, tough ask.

Half the twitter users are throwing out random players who have scored 10-15 goals already this season, that they heard about on fifa. Whilst we need goals, we dont need just a goal scorer. A typical goalscorer will have the exact same struggles as Puscas. Without proper link up play in the final 3rd, a new striker would be a waste of a squad number (unless he is a striker who can do the link up play)