BFTG Bristol citeh.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG Bristol citeh.

by Snowball » 29 Jan 2020 13:03

Norfolk Royal
Snowball
Old Man Andrews
Yeah this was horrific, thought I was going to die.

You got off lightly!

I went to the game well-kitted out with a puffer jacket OK for -30 degrees C.

Got back to Thatcham, parked, looking forward to a glass've, do the prediction chart, then kip...

But there was an oldish woman "collapsed" in Thatcham Broadway. Like all the people ignoring her I thought she was drunk and I wasn't keen on getting involved, but I dialled 999 etc then needed to make her safe. (She was half the pavement, half in the road).

Got her into recover position, sat beside her etc, talked to her.

She eventually started mumbling about how cold she was so I took my jacket off to put over her. BIG fffffking mistake!

The ambo turned up 45 minutes later. I think I was actually welded to the pavement. I will never EVER be warm again!

Did you get a snog off of her though?

Hah!

Actually, as I was talking to her, got her name etc, then her age (62) she said “Are you chatting me up?”

I’ve come over cold again...

download

by download » 29 Jan 2020 13:07

The club are paying the price for not having enough sensible parking. Those places you could park for free or pay for and get out in reasonable time have all gone.
In my case I catch the bus. So it normally a wait followed by a crush on the bus when it turns up. Not such a big issue or a reasonable warm Saturday afternoon, but after a poor performance on a cold mid week night its no fun, regardless of whatever the price of the ticket is.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 29 Jan 2020 13:13

To be fair apart from Leeds and Cardiff, all the games had between 9 and 12.000. I know Luton and Brentford don`t hold much more than that but hull and Wigan had very small crowds, people work and to get home and then go out again on a freezing night isn`t top of many peoples priorities.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 29 Jan 2020 13:17

Einstein agogo Where's Adams?
As soon as we started to play him we looked convincing , despite his age and fitness.
We need people to pick a pass and spread it about.
I know he's easily muscled off the ball if he dwells but if he's got a second or two then normally the pass is quality

Perhaps Bowen is already looking forward to next season. Giving Olise experience now can only be of longer term benefit.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 29 Jan 2020 13:24

Einstein agogo Where's Adams?
As soon as we started to play him we looked convincing , despite his age and fitness.
We need people to pick a pass and spread it about.
I know he's easily muscled off the ball if he dwells but if he's got a second or two then normally the pass is quality

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG Bristol citeh

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Jan 2020 13:26

Zip The first thing that surprised me was how poor the attendance was. Less than 10,000 Reading fans at the game. Woeful.
It was reflected in a subdued atmosphere and lethargic start by the team

The first half was cagey and a bit of a non event. We started the second half more brightly and Ejaria had a great chance which he struck over the bar. We then concede the softest of goals out of nothing with dreadful positioning by our defence allowing their player a simple finish. Thereafter we fell apart. This really felt like shades of the dregs of the Stam era and Clement’s time at the club. Yet another soft home defeat of which there have been far too many in recent years.

In the final few minutes we finally managed to put them under concerted pressure and would have been good value for the draw. City were bang average but defended very well. They dominated our strikers inside their penalty box winning virtually every header.

Bowen got it wrong tonight. We were crying out for Adam in the second half to give us a measure of control as both Swift and Ejaria were very poor. We also desperately lack an out and out winger which should be our focus alongside a big striker in this transfer window.

So what next? Surely the formation has to change? We need to play two upfront unless we can bring in somebody who can hold up and lay off the ball. With just two points from our last four League games we can forget about the play offs so Bowen needs to rethink his team selection for the Cup game because it has backfired. We haven’t won in the League since he decided to play our reserves v Blackpool.

Pele was for me our best player by miles tonight showing real vision with his passing and being one of the few players to win some tackles. Most of the rest were either average or poor

Lol at the idea playing different players in different games in a different competition has caused our first team to underperform recently.

For everyone saying the season's over, concentrate on the cup and play the reserves in the league - that's a very quick way to risk making the season firmly not over.

We aren't safe yet. We still need about 18 points. And we don't want to finish low again, so actually we really need at least 25 to enter next season with any form of positivity and momentum.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 29 Jan 2020 13:28

Hendo
Old Man Andrews
Zip
We got around 6500 for Sheffield Utd and about 9000 v Bolton I think in the fag end of Stam’s management. The Sheff Utd game was the coldest I have ever been at a match. It was about -9c.

Yeah, that was a really grim one. Remember a home game v Watford about a decade ago where it was also arcticly cold, although I seem to remember we actually won that one.

For me the coldest I have been was Southampton at home in our first year promotion to the Prem. 2005 ? When I got back to the car it was minus 3 degrees.Usually I am ok during the game,it’s half time that gets to me.That evening I went back to the concourse at half time.

East Grinstead Royal

by East Grinstead Royal » 29 Jan 2020 13:32

We really missed Adam last night. Since December, he has been outstanding.

It was cold last night (and I had to scrape ice off the windscreen before heading home), but nowhere near as cold as it was at a midweek Newport Co v Reading game that I went to at Somerton Park in the early 80s. This was in the days before away supporters were routinely segregated from home fans and I ended up somewhere near the half way line opposite the main stand. I did ask if I could move to the area behind the goal, but the steward didn't like my accent so I couldn't. Shivered so much I put my back out.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 29 Jan 2020 13:42

I felt the game last night fell into different periods.

After Puskas early shot from a Brizzie mistake ,was blocked; they were all over us for about ten minutes and I thought we are in real trouble here.Then for the rest of the first half Swift controlled the game,Pele backed him up and Olise settled in.

For some reason we were then shocking in the second half, up to and past their goal.As bad as I have ever seen us.

Then up to five minutes before the end and extra time we hammered them and should have scored.

I think Bowen got his selection wrong and for most of the game too many players in midfield and up front were passengers.Obita is no left wing back.

The fault for the goal was mainly due to Blackett,switching off,and Moore being caught out.

IMHO

Most players were distinctly average last night,and nobody had a good game.

However Puskas and Ejaria were very poor.

The only bright spark was the improved play of Olise the longer the game went on.

Crowd was disappointing.As to the Ref we’ve had a lot worse.Though the pull back on Gunter early on when he was running into clear space,somehow was missed.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: BFTG Bristol citeh

by Stranded » 29 Jan 2020 14:04

Snowflake Royal We aren't safe yet. We still need about 18 points. And we don't want to finish low again, so actually we really need at least 25 to enter next season with any form of positivity and momentum.

We'll need about 12 or 13. 50pts will be more than enough this season. Point a game gives us 54 - think we'll end up at about 60-63 points given we have to play the whole of the bottom half with the exception of QPR still. After the next 5 games, we'll only have Swansea & Blackburn of the current top half left to play.

It is that run in which gives a small sliver that if we are not too far behind we could get up a head of steam.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 29 Jan 2020 14:26

windermereROYAL To be fair apart from Leeds and Cardiff, all the games had between 9 and 12.000. I know Luton and Brentford don`t hold much more than that but hull and Wigan had very small crowds, people work and to get home and then go out again on a freezing night isn`t top of many peoples priorities.

Agree with this. Attendances at midweek games in general are plummeting. I think its all down to demographics and where we all now live and work.

25 years ago I worked in Reading and lived in Twyford. Midweek games were great, just head to the pub straight from work, walk or bus to ground, and then get the train home afterwards.

These days, more people live in areas that don't have a train station and probably face a lengthy commute to work. Spend a minimum 1.5 hours getting home, a 12 hour day door-to-door, only to then have to start a new journey to the match? 'Sod that' is probably most people's thoughts. A lot of Bristol City fans probably faced less travelling than that to get to the game.

I would think that the average fan base is older than it once was as well, which brings in family issues on midweek evenings.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 29 Jan 2020 14:56

Stranded
Dave the rave
URZZZZ
It must be disheartening for Morrison and co coming forward just to see every set piece hit the first man. It isn’t difficult

This. I've been a few times this season and it's an ongoing problem. Like you say, it's not that difficult and the upshot is you lose the ball in a good area, with men committed and on the back foot. Really annoying.

Even if it is that difficult, try something different - for all the flaws under Gomes we did try some inventive set plays that lead to goals.

I’m not sure how deliberate it was but I thought the set piece for Ejaria’s chance was clever

All the way to the back post, second ball in, really should have scored. Similar to the set pieces we tried under Adkins

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 29 Jan 2020 15:02

Tony Le Mesmer
windermereROYAL To be fair apart from Leeds and Cardiff, all the games had between 9 and 12.000. I know Luton and Brentford don`t hold much more than that but hull and Wigan had very small crowds, people work and to get home and then go out again on a freezing night isn`t top of many peoples priorities.

Agree with this. Attendances at midweek games in general are plummeting. I think its all down to demographics and where we all now live and work.

25 years ago I worked in Reading and lived in Twyford. Midweek games were great, just head to the pub straight from work, walk or bus to ground, and then get the train home afterwards.

These days, more people live in areas that don't have a train station and probably face a lengthy commute to work. Spend a minimum 1.5 hours getting home, a 12 hour day door-to-door, only to then have to start a new journey to the match? 'Sod that' is probably most people's thoughts. A lot of Bristol City fans probably faced less travelling than that to get to the game.

I would think that the average fan base is older than it once was as well, which brings in family issues on midweek evenings.

Also got to add in the impact of the TV deal meaning the majority of midweek games are now available via Sky or iFollow in the UK. I know the game last night wasn't on either but a lot of people may have assumed it was. If you are not a "never miss a game" hardcore fan and you have a choice on a Tuesday/Wednesday night of getting over to the stadium or turning on your TV and watch the game with a beer - hardly surprising many will plump for the latter.

BraisingsteakRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by BraisingsteakRoyal » 29 Jan 2020 15:04

download The club are paying the price for not having enough sensible parking. Those places you could park for free or pay for and get out in reasonable time have all gone.
In my case I catch the bus. So it normally a wait followed by a crush on the bus when it turns up. Not such a big issue or a reasonable warm Saturday afternoon, but after a poor performance on a cold mid week night its no fun, regardless of whatever the price of the ticket is.

To be honest - paying a tenner for 2 hours parking absolutely puts me off going too. For me to get to a midweek game I have to drive home after work (Bracknell to Baso) - sort the kids out - and then rush straight back up the A33 to get there for 8pm.

I don't mind paying £25 for a ticket - but to then add another £10 on every time - i'm out.*

Do £1 parking for midweek games and i'm back in.

* yes there probably are slightly cheaper alternatives, but given the rush to get to the ground after work anyway - adding in a bus, car share, longer walk - and its just too much hassle.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 29 Jan 2020 15:19

BraisingsteakRoyal
download The club are paying the price for not having enough sensible parking. Those places you could park for free or pay for and get out in reasonable time have all gone.

To be honest - paying a tenner for 2 hours parking absolutely puts me off going too. For me to get to a midweek game I have to drive home after work (Bracknell to Baso) - sort the kids out - and then rush straight back up the A33 to get there for 8pm.

I don't mind paying £25 for a ticket - but to then add another £10 on every time - i'm out.*

* yes there probably are slightly cheaper alternatives, but given the rush to get to the ground after work anyway - adding in a bus, car share, longer walk - and its just too much hassle.

What is the car park capacity?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 29 Jan 2020 15:47

BraisingsteakRoyal

Even if you're prepared to pay a tenner you still have to turn up early to ensure getting a space. The Holiday Inn Car Park was full and blocked off by 7pm last night. If you turn up there and find it full you then have to try to work out where else you can park safely.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 29 Jan 2020 16:48

Snowball
Norfolk Royal
Snowball
You got off lightly!

I went to the game well-kitted out with a puffer jacket OK for -30 degrees C.

Got back to Thatcham, parked, looking forward to a glass've, do the prediction chart, then kip...

But there was an oldish woman "collapsed" in Thatcham Broadway. Like all the people ignoring her I thought she was drunk and I wasn't keen on getting involved, but I dialled 999 etc then needed to make her safe. (She was half the pavement, half in the road).

Got her into recover position, sat beside her etc, talked to her.

She eventually started mumbling about how cold she was so I took my jacket off to put over her. BIG fffffking mistake!

The ambo turned up 45 minutes later. I think I was actually welded to the pavement. I will never EVER be warm again!

Did you get a snog off of her though?

Hah!

Actually, as I was talking to her, got her name etc, then her age (62) she said “Are you chatting me up?”

I’ve come over cold again...

As long as you didn’t come over cold over the lady in question...

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 29 Jan 2020 16:53

We looked more threatening on goal when Meite came on, If we're going to play 1 up front and Jao isn't available then it has to be Meite.
Baldock and Puscas still have alot to give, but playing up front in the current team probably isn't the right fit for them.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 29 Jan 2020 16:56

RoyalBlue
BraisingsteakRoyal

Even if you're prepared to pay a tenner you still have to turn up early to ensure getting a space. The Holiday Inn Car Park was full and blocked off by 7pm last night. If you turn up there and find it full you then have to try to work out where else you can park safely.

Shinfield Park park and ride is free parking and £4.50 for 1 person return of £5.50 for a group of 5 (now I'm thinking I might have to find 4 other randoms to ticket share with and save £17 between us)

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 29 Jan 2020 17:00

Hendo
Old Man Andrews
Zip
We got around 6500 for Sheffield Utd and about 9000 v Bolton I think in the fag end of Stam’s management. The Sheff Utd game was the coldest I have ever been at a match. It was about -9c.

Yeah, that was a really grim one. Remember a home game v Watford about a decade ago where it was also arcticly cold, although I seem to remember we actually won that one.

Wimps - anyone that went to the 3-0 defeat to Bradford at Odsal will tell you where the coldest game attended, ever, was by RFC.
That was simply a deep freeze with seats