Ho(ut)we

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Ho(ut)we

by NewCorkSeth » 01 Feb 2020 14:39

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth If I have learned one thing from HNA? it is that everytime the majority of people think it is a mistake to let a young player leave they never make it and the players that people think the club made the correct decision to let go are the ones who make it.

CoughStaceycough

Plenty of people on here were fine with him leaving.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Feb 2020 17:01

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth If I have learned one thing from HNA? it is that everytime the majority of people think it is a mistake to let a young player leave they never make it and the players that people think the club made the correct decision to let go are the ones who make it.

CoughStaceycough

Just shows you should trust me, not the crowd. 8)

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 02 Feb 2020 14:24

Is there a single young player we've released who most people thought wouldn't make it but then has?

People like Austin, Bapiste, Bartley, Shaughnessy, McHugh and MacDonald didn't exactly have great name recognition (I hadn't heard of Baptiste a week ago).

Cox and Antonio were both cases where we knew we were letting a player with potential go but the alternative was losing them on a free because their contract was running down and they wanted immediate football. Same-ish with Hamer who hasn't quite done as well for himself as McCarthy - we made the right decision there. We didn't have a choice with Ji and he's not exactly done well in the Bundesliga.

Cooper maybe at a push? But even then, it's not like he would have made it if he stayed here.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 02 Feb 2020 21:31

Johnny Hayes has probably done a lot better than anyone would have expected when he left. Took him a while but he became a million pound player, won stuff with Celtic and got capped for Ireland.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 03 Feb 2020 11:01

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal

CoughStaceycough

Name three.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 03 Feb 2020 12:34

With Teddy Howe there are two main issues. Firstly at the age of 21 he needs to be playing week in and week out and he probably won't get that chance here with Yiadom ahead of him.

Secondly if he is Nigel Howe's son (I have also hard it said that he is a nephew so not sure which is true) then breaking away and making a name for himself might well seem appealing and will stop any allegations of nepotism in the years ahead.

And so overall this would seem the right decision for both him and the club.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 03 Feb 2020 13:42

andrew1957 With Teddy Howe there are two main issues. Firstly at the age of 21 he needs to be playing week in and week out and he probably won't get that chance here with Yiadom ahead of him.

Secondly if he is Nigel Howe's son (I have also hard it said that he is a nephew so not sure which is true) then breaking away and making a name for himself might well seem appealing and will stop any allegations of nepotism in the years ahead.

And so overall this would seem the right decision for both him and the club.

Believe Teddy is Nigel’s son. Any confusion otherwise probably comes from the fact that Nigel is Don Howe’s nephew.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 03 Feb 2020 13:44

It’s father/son.
The nephew reference would be that Nigel is Don Howe’s nephew.
At his point I don’t think the nepotism thing is a factor. It was thrown around a bit when he was younger but not heard it since he got into the first team set up. It’s clearly not an issue, although suggestions the Sone Aluko is Mark Bowen’s sister appear credible....

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 03 Feb 2020 14:00

Hound After a bit of reflection I think this is a good move for Howe and fair play to him

Rather than take the easy route and stay as back up he has backed himself to go to the other end of the country and prove himself

From our point of view I’d like to have kept him, but maybe this was driven by him more than the club itself

It makes sense for the player to leave, it made sense for Reading to keep him.... maybe this is a case of Nigel Howe quite rightly putting the interests of his son before the club?... or maybe not?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 03 Feb 2020 14:53

I doubt the fact he is his son had any real bearing. If any player in his situation wants the opportunity of first team football elsewhere, then it's only fair to let them go. I imagine the decision was very much on Teddy's shoulders.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 03 Feb 2020 17:49

The club is under financial pressure. Selling academy players is a good source of future revenue generation. Providing we retain the real gems, i.e. Olise and MacIntyre.

I watched Swift play on loan at Swindon in 2015. Thought by now he'd be playing at a far higher level. Just goes to show that some players don't kick on that quickly.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Feb 2020 17:56

Lower West The club is under financial pressure. Selling academy players is a good source of future revenue generation. Providing we retain the real gems, i.e. Olise and MacIntyre.

I watched Swift play on loan at Swindon in 2015. Thought by now he'd be playing at a far higher level. Just goes to show that some players don't kick on that quickly.

Doubt we got much for Howe or took much off the costs by losing him. Certainly compared to the likes of Blackett, Gunter, McCleary and Obita's contracts expiring in the summer itd be a drop in the ocean.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 03 Feb 2020 18:17

Pepe the Horseman
NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal CoughStaceycough

Name three.

Make me.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 03 Feb 2020 20:51

Snowflake Royal
Lower West The club is under financial pressure. Selling academy players is a good source of future revenue generation. Providing we retain the real gems, i.e. Olise and MacIntyre.

Doubt we got much for Howe or took much off the costs by losing him. Certainly compared to the likes of Blackett, Gunter, McCleary and Obita's contracts expiring in the summer itd be a drop in the ocean.

I was thinking of the cut of any sell on fee clause in the contract. At 21, a big ask to play two championship games a week if so required. Gunter is a perfectly adequate understudy to Yiadom in the immediate future.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Feb 2020 21:08

Lower West
Snowflake Royal

I was thinking of the cut of any sell on fee clause in the contract. At 21, a big ask to play two championship games a week if so required. Gunter is a perfectly adequate understudy to Yiadom in the immediate future.

Ahh, I see. Bit tenuous, but fair enough. With a bit of luck we'll be financially sound by the time he's sold.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 03 Feb 2020 21:57

Snowflake Royal
Lower West
Snowflake Royal Doubt we got much for Howe or took much off the costs by losing him. Certainly compared to the likes of Blackett, Gunter, McCleary and Obita's contracts expiring in the summer itd be a drop in the ocean.

Ahh, I see. Bit tenuous, but fair enough. With a bit of luck we'll be financially sound by the time he's sold.

I believe that Mr Dai Yongge is happy to push the boundaries as far as they'll go..........

Success being the no 1priority.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 03 Feb 2020 22:09

Nameless Johnny Hayes has probably done a lot better than anyone would have expected when he left. Took him a while but he became a million pound player, won stuff with Celtic and got capped for Ireland.

Yeah good shout.
Lower West I watched Swift play on loan at Swindon in 2015. Thought by now he'd be playing at a far higher level.

He is :wink:

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 04 Feb 2020 08:58

SCIAG
Nameless Johnny Hayes has probably done a lot better than anyone would have expected when he left. Took him a while but he became a million pound player, won stuff with Celtic and got capped for Ireland.

Yeah good shout.
Lower West I watched Swift play on loan at Swindon in 2015. Thought by now he'd be playing at a far higher level.

He is :wink:

Beat me to it with the Swift comment :lol: