Second season success stories

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Second season success stories

by Jagermesiter1871 » 05 Feb 2020 12:17

Technically it's a fact except for it not being a fact.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 05 Feb 2020 12:46

Its a moral fact.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Feb 2020 13:00

Haven't read the whole thread yet, but it's a good question and point.

I don't know about Bowen, but I've certainly lost patience with Puscas. That is of course not to say that he should be written off or immediately chucked on the transfer list and binned off, that's the realms of knee jerk stupidity IMO.

His performances this season have certainly indicated he should be nowhere near first choice, but he is of course young and new to the country and division. Sometimes it takes time to adapt. He also hasn't had a consistent partner or system to play in and we're still clearly working on finding our way.

Personally, I'd drop him for a while, maybe give him some time in the U23s. I probably wouldn't have him on the bench even for at least a few games.

I think he needs work in training and non-first team games, clear instructions and a clear role.

Reassess in 5 games and then again at the end of the season and again after pre-season.

Right now I wouldn't be particularly sorry to see him go.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 05 Feb 2020 13:06

Seem to remember Kevin Doyle struggled initially. Couldn't hit a barn door. Providing he works hard. Puscas will come good in the right formation. Bowen can only set the team up with the players available to him.

I'm more frustrated with Ovie Ejaria. :shock:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Feb 2020 13:19

And now I wish I hadn't read the rest of the thread seeing as it's the usual bullshit attention seeking and people chomping on the bait.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 05 Feb 2020 13:20

Lower West Seem to remember Kevin Doyle struggled initially. Couldn't hit a barn door. Providing he works hard. Puscas will come good in the right formation. Bowen can only set the team up with the players available to him.

I'm more frustrated with Ovie Ejaria. :shock:

Main difference being that Doyle was a very low risk cheap punt and Puscas is a high risk expensive punt. The main point is that although he can come good, the formation excuse is getting quite weary now. We’ve tried 5-3-2, 4-4-2, 4-1-4-1, 4-2-3-1 etc with him and he hasn’t really excelled in any. His best performances came with Joao/Baldock as a duo but equally some of his worst performances came with Joao too

With you with Ejaria, he gets an easy ride by most

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 05 Feb 2020 13:40

I thought Glen Little was shit in his loan spell - next season he was unplayable.

Puscas needs some real coaching to get him working effectively in the formations we play. He also needs to improve his work rate and movement.

I have no idea what we can do with him but I think he can play. We have to unlock it.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 05 Feb 2020 13:53

URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ
He had to have been good if he got ahead of Norwood, there’s no way we beat Sheffield if he plays!

Huh?

If he can get POTS whilst we had players like Norwood in the squad, he must have been good in his first season

In all seriousness, Al Habsi was poor until January time and then picked it up massively after that. I guess the reason he won POTS was because people will place greater weightings on the most recent events

Oh ok. I get ya. Norwood was good while with us for sure. He frustrated a lot but was and still is a top player.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 05 Feb 2020 14:23

Doyle scored his first goal before the end of August in 05/06 and eight before Christmas (23rd game that season was the 10th December). He scored 18 in total. Maybe a slow start in those very first games, but he was broadly consistent over the whole season with 4 goals every 10 games all season.

Can't remember if he played in the early League cup game tbf.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 05 Feb 2020 14:28

stealthpapes Doyle scored his first goal before the end of August in 05/06 and eight before Christmas (23rd game that season was the 10th December). He scored 18 in total. Maybe a slow start in those very first games, but he was broadly consistent over the whole season with 4 goals every 10 games all season.

Yeah I don’t recall Doyle not being anything other than a success as the stats bear out.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 05 Feb 2020 14:38

Old Man Andrews
Nameless
Old Man Andrews You're a very thick human being. It is a fact now because it will be happening. He cannot leave now, the next available slot for him to go he will go.

What has changed since the last available slot ended 5 days ago ?

Bowen has given him the chance to prove his worth but last night was the key indicator that Puscas will be off in the summer. He was taken off at half time for Sone Aluko...... What more evidence do we need?

So SWIFT going also?

He was hooked for Aluko in the previous game

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 05 Feb 2020 14:40

Snowball
Old Man Andrews
Nameless
What has changed since the last available slot ended 5 days ago ?

Bowen has given him the chance to prove his worth but last night was the key indicator that Puscas will be off in the summer. He was taken off at half time for Sone Aluko...... What more evidence do we need?

So SWIFT going also?

I believe John Swift will be sold in the summer, yes. Not because of his ability or form but because a big offer will come in.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Feb 2020 16:37

Old Man Andrews
Snowball
Old Man Andrews Bowen has given him the chance to prove his worth but last night was the key indicator that Puscas will be off in the summer. He was taken off at half time for Sone Aluko...... What more evidence do we need?

So SWIFT going also?

I believe John Swift will be sold in the summer, yes. Not because of his ability or form but because a big offer will come in.

Only 2 years left on his contract - his value will probably just start to inch down during next season unless he signs a new deal

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 05 Feb 2020 16:43

Hound
Old Man Andrews
Snowball
So SWIFT going also?

Only 2 years left on his contract - his value will probably just start to inch down during next season unless he signs a new deal

Would think he would be offered a new contact in the summer.

Think he is a shoe-in for POTS.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 05 Feb 2020 16:47

Hendo
Hound
Old Man Andrews I believe John Swift will be sold in the summer, yes. Not because of his ability or form but because a big offer will come in.

Can't see us turning down a big offer, that money could be spent on a few who will improve the overall squad. Interesting summer ahead I reckon.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 05 Feb 2020 16:48

Old Man Andrews
Hendo
Hound

Can't see us turning down a big offer, that money could be spent on a few who will improve the overall squad. Interesting summer ahead I reckon.

Would probably have said the same about Moore though, a couple of summers ago, but the owners put their foot down on that one and it could be a similar situation with Swift.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Feb 2020 20:24

stealthpapes Doyle scored his first goal before the end of August in 05/06 and eight before Christmas (23rd game that season was the 10th December). He scored 18 in total. Maybe a slow start in those very first games, but he was broadly consistent over the whole season with 4 goals every 10 games all season.

I do remember the first time or two I saw him that he looked good and got a lot of shots off but they just weren't very accurate. I think I missed a couple of home games, then went away for much of December and January and came back to everyone raving about him.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 05 Feb 2020 23:02

Doyle started off on the bench and it was only an injury to Kitson against Burnley that got him starting games. He started scoring pretty much as soon as he got in the starting lineup.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 05 Feb 2020 23:06

From Despair To Where? Doyle started off on the bench and it was only an injury to Kitson against Burnley that got him starting games. He started scoring pretty much as soon as he got in the starting lineup.

Yes that’s how I remember it.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 06 Feb 2020 01:19

Hendo
Old Man Andrews
Hendo

Would probably have said the same about Moore though, a couple of summers ago, but the owners put their foot down on that one and it could be a similar situation with Swift.

May also depend on how likely they feel Swifts absence could be dealt with, e.g would Olise be able to stand up on a regular basis

With Moore a couple of seasons ago, it was pretty late in the window and we only had McShane, O’Shea and Ilori as our other CB’s, would have made them extremely reluctant to sell Moore at that time