Re: MATCHWATCH : West Bromwich Albion (h) sponsored by Neil Clement

by morganb » 10 Feb 2020 09:42

NewCorkSeth
Old Man Andrews
NewCorkSeth -------------------------Rafael
Araruna---Morrison---Moore---Richards
-------------Pele---Rinomhota---Adam
-------------Meite---Puscas---Baldock

Rest Swift and Ejaria. Have Adam ping long balls for Baldock to chase, get Meite and Puscas in the box, Richards sat deep to ping in crosses, Rinomhota to shuttle the ball up the pitch, rest of team to defend.

Rest our two most creative players?

Yeah, oxf*rd it. Playing the best team in the league and all.

I wonder if Bowen might field a team similar to this as West Brom wouldn't expect it. He could put Meite on the bench (he has played a lot recently) and start Timbe there instead, with like you say Adam picking the passes and Puscas in the middle for crosses in.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 10 Feb 2020 10:27

morganb
NewCorkSeth
Old Man Andrews Rest our two most creative players?

I wonder if Bowen might field a team similar to this as West Brom wouldn't expect it. He could put Meite on the bench (he has played a lot recently) and start Timbe there instead, with like you say Adam picking the passes and Puscas in the middle for crosses in.

I would rather see Timbe on the bench and slowly be introduced. Meite remains our only aerial target from long balls. He must start.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Feb 2020 11:48

morganb
NewCorkSeth
Old Man Andrews Rest our two most creative players?

If you're resting Swift and Ejaria, bonkers not to use Olise, or even - *shudder* - Aluko.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 10 Feb 2020 12:03

Snowflake Royal
morganb
NewCorkSeth Yeah, oxf*rd it. Playing the best team in the league and all.

If you're resting Swift and Ejaria, bonkers not to use Olise, or even - *shudder* - Aluko.

oxf*rd I forgot Olise. That's embarrassing.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 10 Feb 2020 12:04

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal
morganb

Did Bowen say why Olise didn't feature at all on Saturday?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 10 Feb 2020 12:05

Vision
NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal If you're resting Swift and Ejaria, bonkers not to use Olise, or even - *shudder* - Aluko.

Yes.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Feb 2020 12:13

Vision
NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal If you're resting Swift and Ejaria, bonkers not to use Olise, or even - *shudder* - Aluko.

Didn't see anything in the post match interview, may have been covered in the pre match stuff I guess.

With Araruna, Rinomhota, Adam and Aluko all getting minutes there's not much room for him on the bench I guess.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 10 Feb 2020 13:08

OMA hasn't passed judgement on the ref yet but just seen an article on https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/ ... e-17721468 that said:

Back in October, Bilic was left fuming when the Baggies had to settle for a point at home to Charlton. It's a game that will live long in the memory for any West Brom fans in attendance that day. On a quite bizarre afternoon, referee Matthew Donohue managed to send Grady Diangana off for a foul committed by Nathan Ferguson - before gifting the Addicks a very questionable late penalty.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 10 Feb 2020 13:48

morganb OMA hasn't passed judgement on the ref yet but just seen an article on https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/ ... e-17721468 that said:

Back in October, Bilic was left fuming when the Baggies had to settle for a point at home to Charlton. It's a game that will live long in the memory for any West Brom fans in attendance that day. On a quite bizarre afternoon, referee Matthew Donohue managed to send Grady Diangana off for a foul committed by Nathan Ferguson - before gifting the Addicks a very questionable late penalty.

Well it goes without saying Matthew Donohue is nothing but a straight up c*nt.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 10 Feb 2020 20:25

I really hope we see Swift start to play. He has been really awful the last couple of games. His corners have been utter sh*te......he has been looking more like the showpony I used to get angry with under Clement.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 11 Feb 2020 00:20

Ascotexgunner I really hope we see Swift start to play. He has been really awful the last couple of games. His corners have been utter sh*te......he has been looking more like the showpony I used to get angry with under Clement.

There's too much over reliance on certain players in the last couple of years. Without Meite's purple patch at the end of last season, we'd have gone down. I genuinely can't remember a single game the team has played well where Swift hasn't played/performed well this season. And Swift has put in a few stinkers this season too

It isn't healthy relying on individuals to get us out of holes

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 11 Feb 2020 08:28

Ascotexgunner I really hope we see Swift start to play. He has been really awful the last couple of games. His corners have been utter sh*te......he has been looking more like the showpony I used to get angry with under Clement.

I think he has had too much football, not sure he is a very naturally fit player and a rest tomorrow would do him good. I would play Rinomhota, Pele and Adam in a 4-3-3 and put Swift on the bench.

Rafael

Araruna
Moore
Morrison
Obita

Pele
Rinomhota
Adam

Ejaria
Baldock
Meite

hughsies no.1

by hughsies no.1 » 11 Feb 2020 11:44

For me Adam has to start - he was the catalyst to our run of form over Christmas and since he was taken off at Millwall it's almost like he has been forgotten by Bowen. Genuinely wouldn't be surprised if there has been a fallout there knowing how vocal he can be.

Anyway, Adam to start and I would have Puscas starting too. Yes his form is all over the place, but he is young and the only way he will improve is a run of games - no doubt he has ability as he has shown it in flashes, but there will always be inconsistency in his game given his age.

Danny Nedelko

by Danny Nedelko » 11 Feb 2020 12:29

I have only been to a handful of home games this season, Birmingham being one of them. That game we didn't have Swift, Ejaria or Adam in the first XI and was without doubt one of the most inept performances I have ever seen. Passing stats (for both teams!) must have been laughable.

So we have to play at least 2 of the 3, and I would probably start Swift & Ejaria again, with Adam on from the bench.

Clearly our biggest issue is the absence of Joao, who makes a big difference, so I think we have a hard run until he is back in the team. Which is annoying.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 11 Feb 2020 12:36

Anyone else feel like joao is being looked back on with tinted glasses? He was decent for a few games but many were saying he was shit not long before and his hot streak lasted about 3 games. Is concerning that many seem to think he is the linchpin for this squad.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 11 Feb 2020 13:07

Jagermesiter1871 Anyone else feel like joao is being looked back on with tinted glasses? He was decent for a few games but many were saying he was shit not long before and his hot streak lasted about 3 games. Is concerning that many seem to think he is the linchpin for this squad.

It's been a common theme throughout last few years.

"X player is shit we need Y back"

Y is just as inept as X

"Not sure Y is the right fit, X would be better"

Rinse and repeat.

They're all shit, there's no magic combination because they're all just varying degrees of mediocre.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 11 Feb 2020 13:44

Going to be a cold one, that I do know for sure.

On the basis that we did quite well at the Hawthorns and WBA may have pressure on them owing to a possible Leeds defeat the night before, we could very well get something here.

Danny Nedelko

by Danny Nedelko » 11 Feb 2020 14:25

Jagermesiter1871 Anyone else feel like joao is being looked back on with tinted glasses? He was decent for a few games but many were saying he was shit not long before and his hot streak lasted about 3 games. Is concerning that many seem to think he is the linchpin for this squad.

Yep, recency bias is alive and well! But he does offer something very different and can hold the ball up (when he is playing well). Puscas and Baldock are similar in nature and neither really capable of playing up front on their own.

People's always say 'Player X' needs time to gel and bed in.....well maybe Joao had started to do just that :wink:

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 11 Feb 2020 15:26

By some certainly, but many of us are just making the point that his particular style of play lends itself to our preferred tactic and formation.

It's not so much how good a player he is rather that he is by far the best at what we need up top.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Feb 2020 17:17

NewCorkSeth

By some certainly, but many of us are just making the point that his particular style of play lends itself to our preferred tactic and formation.

It's not so much how good a player he is rather that he is by far the best at what we need up top.

Yeah exactly that. He worked ideally in the system that we had that brought us success.

Bowen has yet to replicate that form with any other make up of the team

240 posts