Bowen Out.

320 posts
Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Bowen Out.

by Lower West » 27 Feb 2020 16:59

URZZZZ We're crying out for a manager that plays a high tempo, high intensity level style on/off the ball. Can't remember the last manager we had that actually got us playing decent, attacking, high tempo football. Maybe one month under Adkins where we were scoring for fun

Replace manager with players. Far too many premiership academy rejects and foreign imports. When did we last delve into the lower leagues for rough diamonds. Even Yiadom came from a team that had been relegated.

Clement should have remained. Would have maintained continuity and done as well with loanees last season. Rebuilding is a long term task. Suspect the owner not wishing to lose face is part of the problem. Chinese owners don't buy trophy assets for show. They are looking for prestige and not lose face to their mates.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 27 Feb 2020 18:46

Lower West
URZZZZ We're crying out for a manager that plays a high tempo, high intensity level style on/off the ball. Can't remember the last manager we had that actually got us playing decent, attacking, high tempo football. Maybe one month under Adkins where we were scoring for fun

Replace manager with players. Far too many premiership academy rejects and foreign imports. When did we last delve into the lower leagues for rough diamonds. Even Yiadom came from a team that had been relegated.

Clement should have remained. Would have maintained continuity and done as well with loanees last season. Rebuilding is a long term task. Suspect the owner not wishing to lose face is part of the problem. Chinese owners don't buy trophy assets for show. They are looking for prestige and not lose face to their mates.

We’ve had a few players from the lower leagues recently but not too many

From what I can recall, McNulty, Walker, Harriott and Evans have been the last few who have had mixed degrees of success

Agreed on the whole second part but my question is do we ever really rebuild fully or do we just make a few minor adjustments each season?

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 27 Feb 2020 20:11

URZZZZ
Lower West

We’ve had a few players from the lower leagues recently but not too many

From what I can recall, McNulty, Walker, Harriott and Evans have been the last few who have had mixed degrees of success

Agreed on the whole second part but my question is do we ever really rebuild fully or do we just make a few minor adjustments each season?

Didn't Evans arrive via Man City?

Harriott was unfortunate to incur such a bad injury. Would be perfect on the left wing now. Cracking shot.

Was Walker a desperation buy?

McNulty can be filed in the 2 out of 3 transfers that don't work out.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Feb 2020 22:18

Zip Bowen’s record in League and Cup. Played 28. Won 11, Drawn 9, Lost 8. Considering how crap we have been for so long I cannot believe the negativity towards him. He got it very badly wrong last night but he is learning on the job. It’s not ideal but so far he has done pretty well.

Let’s cut him some slack.

It's all a bit pathetic.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 27 Feb 2020 23:47

It’s unfortunate that the IRONIC title of this thread (I came to praise Caesar, not to bury him) now looks as if it’s an actual Bowen-Out knee-jerk thread.

Having said that, we need a positive result FAST. ME, I’d pay for a draw on Saturday. A defeat doesn’t bear thinking about

Hull and Boro (and to some extent, us) are 2-3 games away from a nightmare, these three teams, once “safe”, are quite a long way from that, and all three need a noticeable upturn on recent form to stay above this resurgent bottom three.

Of course, maybe Luton, Barnsley, Wigan will blow up and their surge dampen. I bloody well hope so. But two more rounds with the form of the last six games and we and Hull/Boro could be all but caught

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 28 Feb 2020 08:47

Snowball It’s unfortunate that the IRONIC title of this thread (I came to praise Caesar, not to bury him) now looks as if it’s an actual Bowen-Out knee-jerk thread.

Having said that, we need a positive result FAST. ME, I’d pay for a draw on Saturday. A defeat doesn’t bear thinking about

Hull and Boro (and to some extent, us) are 2-3 games away from a nightmare, these three teams, once “safe”, are quite a long way from that, and all three need a noticeable upturn on recent form to stay above this resurgent bottom three.

Of course, maybe Luton, Barnsley, Wigan will blow up and their surge dampen. I bloody well hope so. But two more rounds with the form of the last six games and we and Hull/Boro could be all but caught

This time last week we were 11 points clear from the bottom three now it’s down to 5. The resurgence of the bottom three has been very unusual. Let’s hope it ends soon. Lose tomorrow and the team board is going to be best avoided.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 28 Feb 2020 08:55

Zip
Snowball It’s unfortunate that the IRONIC title of this thread (I came to praise Caesar, not to bury him) now looks as if it’s an actual Bowen-Out knee-jerk thread.

This time last week we were 11 points clear from the bottom three now it’s down to 5. The resurgence of the bottom three has been very unusual. Let’s hope it ends soon. Lose tomorrow and the team board is going to be best avoided.

I think a few would disagree but I'd rather win on Tuesday than tomorrow

Becoming rather disillusioned with finishing in the exact same position, playing poorly in the Championship each season now

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Feb 2020 08:58

I'd take a draw tomorrow tbh. Keep Barnsley 8 off us, and another small step to 50 points. Didnt realise our GD was so much better than those below us - worth an extra point

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 28 Feb 2020 11:16

Hound I'd take a draw tomorrow tbh. Keep Barnsley 8 off us, and another small step to 50 points. Didnt realise our GD was so much better than those below us - worth an extra point

Probably this. It's a shame really. I had real hopes we'd finish the season strongly and look like a side who could push for the playoffs next season. But the evidence of the past 2 months simply says that isn't the case. We are still very likely to stay up, but we're probably a year behind where we'd like to be. We won't be close to the promotion mix next season.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 28 Feb 2020 11:16

Hound I'd take a draw tomorrow tbh. Keep Barnsley 8 off us, and another small step to 50 points. Didnt realise our GD was so much better than those below us - worth an extra point

Probably this. It's a shame really. I had real hopes we'd finish the season strongly and look like a side who could push for the playoffs next season. But the evidence of the past 2 months simply says that isn't the case. We are still very likely to stay up, but we're probably a year behind where we'd like to be. We won't be close to the promotion mix next season.

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 28 Feb 2020 11:20

scumbag For those of you that didn't listen to the BBC Berks interview, I implore you to!
Utter disgrace.

Have you go a link for that - I cant find anything for the Wigan match on the sounds app or BBC RB website.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 28 Feb 2020 11:34

My view is we have to win this - if we don't it is another game against a team below us that comes to us and gets a positive result - given Boro, Stoke & Huddersfield all have to do the same we could use a marker.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 28 Feb 2020 11:51

Stranded

My view is we have to win this - if we don't it is another game against a team below us that comes to us and gets a positive result - given Boro, Stoke & Huddersfield all have to do the same we could use a marker.

Agreed. Let’s get stuck in and be positive tomorrow.

I’ve calmed down a bit since Wednesday - there’s a danger that the good work Bowen has done up to January is being totally undone so he needs to stop pissing around with formation and line ups and get the focus back on performance.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 28 Feb 2020 12:00

leon
Stranded

Agreed. Let’s get stuck in and be positive tomorrow.

I’ve calmed down a bit since Wednesday - there’s a danger that the good work Bowen has done up to January is being totally undone so he needs to stop pissing around with formation and line ups and get the focus back on performance.

Yeah, I'm a lot calmer now just need to show the "dirty side" of the game tomorrow that we have done well and we should be ok but frankly who knows who is going to turn up tomorrow.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Feb 2020 12:57

Zip

Be entertainingly ironic if the season we went down was the one we were all expecting to be safe having all been previously thinking we'd go down only to stay just clear.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 28 Feb 2020 13:02

WestYorksRoyal

Impossible to say. I'm sure Millwall fans would have been saying something similar last season

Of course, if we still persist with not having more than two players past the halfway line at once, then you'll be right

quickwingerswife

by quickwingerswife » 28 Feb 2020 13:37

Bowen won’t last till Christmas. Good bloke but Chinese won’t accept 9k crowds for long. Team look a bit overcoached now and frightened of upsetting the template. Shame,all looked rosy for a while.

Getthebeerens

by Getthebeerens » 28 Feb 2020 13:55

Sacking Bowen would be the wrong move in my opinion, why sack the guy who is learning about the squads weaknesses throughout the season and then don't give him the summer to address the issues and make us stronger. Ultimately we are struggling as we are missing Joao as a target man to build play off and we don't have any decent wingers to give service to the likes of Baldock and Puscas, again something that will need to be addressed in the summer and probably why we are lacking a Plan B at the moment.

Let's face it we have seen that Wigan performance through various different managers, so ultimately we can't just keep blaming every manager. I believe we have a fairly decent squad in terms of football talent but there is much to be desired about the mental side of the game and the desire to win.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 28 Feb 2020 15:02

Appears to be a social media shut down from the players over past few days - probably wise.

Really hope the fans get behind the team from the off - more than usual - and collectively we get the 3 points.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 28 Feb 2020 15:04

I think we should sack Bowen, bring in some untested guy after searching for a couple of months and sell Moore and Swift after several years in a bad team. With the money from that, and FFP off our back, we can go big on a load of Brazilian players through Mattos, Europeans through Joorabchian and a couple of premier league loanees. 10 or 11 quality signings overall. Then watch it all come together.

Edit: Also forgot about Kadeem Harris. He played well against us on the opening day. Definitely worth £7m and a 5 year contract

320 posts