Player of the season so far...

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Player of the season so far...

by Nameless » 17 Feb 2020 10:23

Wycombe Royal Meite would get my vote currently. Crucial goals and even if things aren't going for him he never gives up.

He’s worthy of a mention but I feel he actually doesn’t make enough of an impact. He goes missing for long spells and is a bit of a tart (slightest contact and he goes over and doesn’t rush to get up and get back in the game). Like several of our players just cutting out a couple a weaknesses and he’d play at a higher level.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 17 Feb 2020 10:25

Ejaria
Swift
Rafael

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 17 Feb 2020 10:26

Nameless If you are going to exclude 2 of our better players as 'not POS material' then we really don't have a competition do we ?
We don't have any 'perfect' players, we do have a number of players who have had generally very decent seasons.
In the past it has been tempting to decide we have no one who deserves the award but this season is different and certainly Rafael is a deserving candidate as he's made plenty of excellent saves.
Sometimes I think certain posters just want an argument for the sake of it.....

As with the last few seasons it is again IMHO a case of the "least bad " player of the season.
If pushed I would go with Rafael but the player that I and a lot of others seem to enjoy watching most is Ejaria.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 17 Feb 2020 10:28

Anyone not including Swift in their top 3 is delusional.

Forget that Whoscored have him as the 5th best player this season. He is on 5 goals and 9 assists. Christ I know his form was spotty for a bit but the whole teams was. If any of you use the excuse that "he has been inconsistent of late" then you may as well throw out the whole team apart from Pele and Yiadom.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 17 Feb 2020 10:32

NewCorkSeth Anyone not including Swift in their top 3 is delusional.

Forget that Whoscored have him as the 5th best player this season. He is on 5 goals and 9 assists. Christ I know his form was spotty for a bit but the whole teams was. If any of you use the excuse that "he has been inconsistent of late" then you may as well throw out the whole team apart from Pele and Yiadom.

He has only had about 3 decent games and he is nowhere near consistent enough. Ejaria completely overshadows him.

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 17 Feb 2020 10:37

Pélé.
Gunter.
Méïté.
Morrison.

Not necessarily in that order.

I rate consistency really highly and is my main criterion - Swift and Ejaria have been our most skilful players at times, but also (Swift especially) the most wasteful.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 17 Feb 2020 10:40

Armadillo Roadkill Pélé.
Gunter.
Méïté.
Morrison.

Not necessarily in that order.

I rate consistency really highly and is my main criterion - Swift and Ejaria have been our most skilful players at times, but also (Swift especially) the most wasteful.

Chris Gunter has played 13 games, hard to consider him player of the season.

Yes, he has done excellently when called upon and probably earned a new contract but can't be considered POTS.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Feb 2020 10:41

Old Man Andrews

He has only had about 3 decent games and he is nowhere near consistent enough. Ejaria completely overshadows him.

For the who scored stats, it has in the following order (min 20 games)

Swift
Ejaria
Yiadom
Morrison
Meite

Joao has made 18 appearances and would be in 4th

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 17 Feb 2020 10:46

Old Man Andrews

Only helping my point there OMA. If he has indeed only had 3 decent games yet is somehow on 5 goals and 9 assists then he is hands down our POTS. That kind of return despite being "overshadowed" by Ejaria on 3 goals and 4 assists? I'll take an "inconsistent" Swift with those numbers any day of the week.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 17 Feb 2020 10:54

NewCorkSeth
Old Man Andrews

Only helping my point there OMA. If he has indeed only had 3 decent games yet is somehow on 5 goals and 9 assists then he is hands down our POTS. That kind of return despite being "overshadowed" by Ejaria on 3 goals and 4 assists? I'll take an "inconsistent" Swift with those numbers any day of the week.

Have to agree Swift is absolute top 3 if not the winner. POTS generally needs to be someone who positively impacts the team and being involved in 14 goals is pretty hefty contribution with 13 games remaining.

Defensively we have been solid as a unit with no-one specifically standing out, so has to be an attacking player or Pele for me. So Swift, Ejaria, Pele, Meite are probably my options in no particular order. Though if one of our strikers goes a surge and scores 6 or 7 over the last quarter of the season then that will obviously shift.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 17 Feb 2020 10:58

If it was player of November and December then Swift would be a shoe in imo.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 17 Feb 2020 11:12

Hendo midfielders are going to miss passes

Unless their name is Harry Arter

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 17 Feb 2020 11:25

Have to say as soon as someone quotes junk stats as a basis for choosing POTS I lose interest.....
Assists are such a meaningless stat in a team game where often multiple players contribute to a goal.
I'd also be confident that both Moore and Morrison have made more goal saving blocks than either Swift or Ejaria have been credited with pseudo 'assists'.

Interesting as well that defenders are not eligible because we've been solid as a unit so the award must go to an attacker when we've been pretty rubbish as an attacking force !
I reckon our POTS should come from the part of the team where we are strongest....

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 17 Feb 2020 11:30

Nameless Have to say as soon as someone quotes junk stats as a basis for choosing POTS I lose interest.....
Assists are such a meaningless stat in a team game where often multiple players contribute to a goal.
I'd also be confident that both Moore and Morrison have made more goal saving blocks than either Swift or Ejaria have been credited with pseudo 'assists'.

Interesting as well that defenders are not eligible because we've been solid as a unit so the award must go to an attacker when we've been pretty rubbish as an attacking force !
I reckon our POTS should come from the part of the team where we are strongest....

Goal saving blocks is as meaningless as assists. Many players contribute to it.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 17 Feb 2020 11:52

NewCorkSeth
Nameless Have to say as soon as someone quotes junk stats as a basis for choosing POTS I lose interest.....

Goal saving blocks is as meaningless as assists. Many players contribute to it.

OK, on the one hand that's fundamentally wrong and on the other hand I guess you are agreeing with me !

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Feb 2020 11:58

Swift
Morrison
Pele

Honourable mentions to Meite, Moore, Cabral

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 17 Feb 2020 12:03

Snowflake Royal Swift
Morrison
Pele

Honourable mentions to Meite, Moore, *Cabral

Rafael

SWLR
Hob Nob Regular

by SWLR » 17 Feb 2020 12:04

Puscas.....
Just for the look on Colin's face after the hat-trick

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 17 Feb 2020 12:11

Chris Gunter, recently has been back to his best.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 17 Feb 2020 12:11

SWLR Puscas.....
Just for the look on Colin's face after the hat-trick

Would that look be one of confusion, seeing as he scored twice that day?