BFTG Sheff U FB

175 posts
URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFTG Sheff U FB

by URZZZZ » 04 Mar 2020 17:08

Hendo
RoyalBlue
bloody Volvo driver Agree with every sentence bar one. There were 3 subs made in first half of ET, Pele, Macca and one for them. Alas it was one of the few things Friend got right last night.

Ref’s performance was best summed up by Bowen when asked if he’d had a poor game, his reply was something along the lines of “Need to be careful what I say and I have known Kevin many years, but that was his usual performance”.

Prem ref looking to make up for a soft penalty and now too reliant on VAR.

I thought it was a soft penalty at the time but, having seen the replays it was a very clear and deliberate shove in the back.

I also think Puscas had a very good claim for another for us as he was pushed from behind when clear of the defender. Again, night have been 'soft' but it still looked a deliberate contact from behind.

First penalty was 100% the second one, seen them given but I think the ref gave the benefit of the doubt to the defender on that one, but certainly could've been given.

No way was the second one a penalty

The main difference being is that Baldock used his hands to ease away Rinomhota whereas JOC used his shoulders. Big difference

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 04 Mar 2020 17:09

URZZZZ
RoyalBlue
Danny Nedelko Meite was fantastic last night and toss up between him and Swift for MOTM. I thought Yiadom had a good game too and generally everyone played well. Our decision making let's us down at times and we need to be quicker with the ball - Ovie especially guilty of slowing the game down.

Altho Ovie does get a special mention for moment of the match, with that flick over the defender's head in the second half.....that's why he gets bums on seats. Just needs a bit more end product.

Other than being super annoyed at Friend not giving a blatant foul(s) in the build up to their winner and our inability to then clear the f'ing ball, it was a good night out. We deserved better in the end.

Watch the video and you will see that the officials not only missed the blatant foul on Puscas but also a clear offside in the buildup ( the player who received the ball and laid it back to the guy who swung it in for Sharp to score).

Morrison was playing him onside

They showed the flat, side angle after the game yesterday and he was certainly offside.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 04 Mar 2020 17:10

NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ
RoyalBlue
Watch the video and you will see that the officials not only missed the blatant foul on Puscas but also a clear offside in the buildup ( the player who received the ball and laid it back to the guy who swung it in for Sharp to score).

They showed the flat, side angle after the game yesterday and he was certainly offside.

I’m not sure you should be challenging me after the last two times...

Clearly I’m correct and no more should be said

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Mar 2020 17:10

RoyalBlue
bloody Volvo driver Agree with every sentence bar one. There were 3 subs made in first half of ET, Pele, Macca and one for them. Alas it was one of the few things Friend got right last night.

Ref’s performance was best summed up by Bowen when asked if he’d had a poor game, his reply was something along the lines of “Need to be careful what I say and I have known Kevin many years, but that was his usual performance”.

Prem ref looking to make up for a soft penalty and now too reliant on VAR.

I thought it was a soft penalty at the time but, having seen the replays it was a very clear and deliberate shove in the back.

I also think Puscas had a very good claim for another for us as he was pushed from behind when clear of the defender. Again, night have been 'soft' but it still looked a deliberate contact from behind.

The difference with the Puscas one is that he was levered over more from the side and under, almost shoulder to should and with the officials slightly blindsided to it. Whereas Rino got an almost arms length double arm pus in the back in direct view of the ref.

Moral of the story is foul smarter.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 04 Mar 2020 17:11

URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ

What are the other 2 times? I get you confused with the slightly longer URZZZZZZZ.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 04 Mar 2020 17:13

NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth They showed the flat, side angle after the game yesterday and he was certainly offside.

What are the other 2 times? I get you confused with the slightly longer URZZZZZZZ.

The Hull game formation wise
And the Birmingham formation one

For the record, I’m just joking about, I’m not sure if he was offside or not but it looked pretty clear to me. Happy to see it from another POV though

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Mar 2020 17:15

URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ

For the record, I’m just joking about, I’m not sure if he was offside or not but it looked pretty clear to me. Happy to see it from another POV though

It certainly wasn't clear one way or another but I agree at the time Morro seemed to be keeping him on.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 04 Mar 2020 17:16

URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ

Ah I thought you meant specifically offside calls. Sorry I am sick and slow today.

Singing Defective

by Singing Defective » 04 Mar 2020 17:40

2 world wars, 1 world cup
South Coast Royal So maybe those who disagreed with those of us who posted yesterday that Kevin Friend is a dreadful ref might now agree.?

Good shout. Possibly the worst ref I've seen all season. Making up for the penalty decision (which was soft but reasonable) but not giving us anything all night as they hacked our players to pieces. Their second goal came after another clear foul which the ref just allowed.

Yep, how we saw it. Puscas had a great game, and at one point in ET he had a defender pulling him back with an arm around Puscas’ neck. Cnut Friend looked straight at them, and did that little self-important hand movement (is he showing the world his favourite way of getting off?) and disparaging smile. Arrogant piece of sh!t. Loved the way he’d exchange a giggle and sweet nothings with “his” Premiership side throughout the game.

by 9165 » 04 Mar 2020 18:29

South Coast Royal
John Madejski's Wallet
9165 Agree with most posters, only thing I'll add is that Swift and Ejaria should be told that it's not against the rules to use your left foot. This explains the near constant turning back into trouble when gaining possession.

My Sheff Utd mate was commenting on the same thing, that Swift and Ejaria are so right footed they kept turning into trouble or missing too many key shooting/passing opportunities

Just on the matter of right foot, left foot.
I have discussed on here with other posters over the years the problem (generally) of having a right-footed left back and my view is that I would prefer a natural left-footer there even if thought to be not such a good player as a right-footer in that area.
It is a question of balance.

The same goes for wide front players.
In the case of Meite, last night (who incidentally produced that cracker of a shot in the first half which was his best moment) he didn't go outside his marker to get in a right-footed cross (Pepe at Arsenal is the same).
It's fine cutting in to shoot with your stronger foot but not for creating chances for others which presumably was also part of his role out wide.
He ends up always cutting back on his left, losing impetus, and moving inside where everything is so much more crowded.

When McCleary came on we saw a natural right-winger producing more threat and crosses than Meite had done previously and IMHO it wasn't just a question of fresh legs.
With a shortie at left-back for them McClearly was also able to win as many headers as Meite did.

As fans we always wonder why professional players aren't two-footed but the fact is hardly any are even at the highest levels and we see that with Swift and Ejaria as mentioned being very right-footed, as Olise, Obita and Meite are very left-sided.
It is how it is and there aren't too many genuine two-footed players like Chris Waddle was so it's a bit harsh IMHO to criticise Swift and Ejaria specifically.

Also last night yet again we were dire from throw-ins and they showed us how to find a man.
One day we might see a Reading side where the full-backs block crosses and throw-ins reach one of ours.

I partially agree, but as professionals, they are obviously talented enough to start with, surely working on your weaker things is part and parcel of any job? Dont think I`m being harsh on Swift and Ejaria, they were glaringly one-footed in their play last night, also Meite. Olise and Obita less so. Just think how advantageous it would be if you were a pro and were competent with both feet!

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 04 Mar 2020 18:37

South Coast Royal
John Madejski's Wallet My Sheff Utd mate was commenting on the same thing, that Swift and Ejaria are so right footed they kept turning into trouble or missing too many key shooting/passing opportunities

Just on the matter of right foot, left foot.
I have discussed on here with other posters over the years the problem (generally) of having a right-footed left back and my view is that I would prefer a natural left-footer there even if thought to be not such a good player as a right-footer in that area.
It is a question of balance.

The same goes for wide front players.
In the case of Meite, last night (who incidentally produced that cracker of a shot in the first half which was his best moment) he didn't go outside his marker to get in a right-footed cross (Pepe at Arsenal is the same).
It's fine cutting in to shoot with your stronger foot but not for creating chances for others which presumably was also part of his role out wide.
He ends up always cutting back on his left, losing impetus, and moving inside where everything is so much more crowded.

When McCleary came on we saw a natural right-winger producing more threat and crosses than Meite had done previously and IMHO it wasn't just a question of fresh legs.
With a shortie at left-back for them McClearly was also able to win as many headers as Meite did.

As fans we always wonder why professional players aren't two-footed but the fact is hardly any are even at the highest levels and we see that with Swift and Ejaria as mentioned being very right-footed, as Olise, Obita and Meite are very left-sided.
It is how it is and there aren't too many genuine two-footed players like Chris Waddle was so it's a bit harsh IMHO to criticise Swift and Ejaria specifically.

Also last night yet again we were dire from throw-ins and they showed us how to find a man.
One day we might see a Reading side where the full-backs block crosses and throw-ins reach one of ours.

I partially agree, but as professionals, they are obviously talented enough to start with, surely working on your weaker things is part and parcel of any job? Dont think I`m being harsh on Swift and Ejaria, they were glaringly one-footed in their play last night, also Meite. Olise and Obita less so. Just think how advantageous it would be if you were a pro and were competent with both feet!

If they were two footed. Probably would have left us by now.

Beginning to wonder if recent team selections and formations have been made with an eye to next season. For a change heading towards the end of a season it's possible to see a foundation for next. Masika has obviously caught Bowen's attention. Like Puscas has a lot to work on. Though has the drive to succeed and improve their all round games.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 04 Mar 2020 18:50

The comment about the modern player not being two footed is very true.When I first started watching football,all the top footballers use to comment about working on their weaker foot.I seem to recall that our 2005 side only had one player who was genuinely two footed,and that was Doyle.Even at the top level the majority of players are not two footed.I remember during the Brazil World Cup;a great deal was made of Rooney being predominantly right footed,and Sturridge being predominantly left footed.Do modern top level coaches at junior level,even concentrate on working on players weaker foot.if not why not ?There are very few modern top level footballers who are genuinely two footed.
I wonder also in training what the RFC coaches do in training with regard to throw ins and in particular corners.We rarely score from corners.Yet some teams absolutely rely on set pieces for the majority of their goals;think Pulis and Allardyce teams.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 04 Mar 2020 19:09

Hound Without sounding like OMA - We aren't getting charged with breaking FFP and we aren't going to be docked points. Simple as that.

I tend to agree. We would surely have heard by now if we were heading for a deduction. We know about the others who are potentially facing deduction. If we were though to receive a deduction heads should roll.

Royalclapper
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalclapper » 04 Mar 2020 19:31

Sheff Utd came out turbo charged and looked far too good for us.

We got what was a fairly soft looking pen to get back into it and made a credible battle of it.

Reading still look suspiciously like a lazy team to me at this current time - there's talent there though.

Nothing against Sheff Utd personally, good luck to them.

Mr Sitter

by Mr Sitter » 04 Mar 2020 19:38

Westwood52 The comment about the modern player not being two footed is very true.When I first started watching football,all the top footballers use to comment about working on their weaker foot.I seem to recall that our 2005 side only had one player who was genuinely two footed,and that was Doyle.Even at the top level the majority of players are not two footed.I remember during the Brazil World Cup;a great deal was made of Rooney being predominantly right footed,and Sturridge being predominantly left footed.Do modern top level coaches at junior level,even concentrate on working on players weaker foot.if not why not ?There are very few modern top level footballers who are genuinely two footed.
I wonder also in training what the RFC coaches do in training with regard to throw ins and in particular corners.We rarely score from corners.Yet some teams absolutely rely on set pieces for the majority of their goals;think Pulis and Allardyce teams.

I had a conversation a few years back with a man whose son had turned professional and he told me he had always tried to encourage his lad to improve his weaker foot. Once he turned pro though the coaches told him not to bother with that and just concentrate on the strengths of his game.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 04 Mar 2020 19:51

Exciting game, motm John Swift, but Meite not too far behind. A good all round performance, even thought Puscas put in a shift.
But dont like the look of that Nigerian lad, looked lost and far too clumsy, not one to keep.

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 04 Mar 2020 20:31

Really enjoyed the game. After their early goal, I thought we were in for a pasting--but gradually we got into it and gave them a proper game. Which amazed me, considering how crap we were against Wigan and Barnsley. (I know we beat Barnsley, but Barnsley were poor compared to Atlético Wigan.) This was our best performance of the 3 home games, I thought. Mind you, Sheffield managed to be surprisingly pedestrian, even without Norwood.

This midfield trio of Swift, Olise, and Ejaria is a weird old set up, and no mistake--but proper entertaining, what with such ball skills. Their clever jinxes and turns can make me laugh out loud. Is there anything more comically surreal than watching Ejaria do 2 or 3 mind-bending pirouettes in a row before falling flat on his face? Olise is almost as unorthodox, doing difficult things well and simple things badly. If only any of them had the speed to go with their twinkle feet--because what they don't give us is much forward momentum. (Rinomhota, by contrast, is less silky but can drive forward with more incision.) I can't say I agree with playing all our tricksy midfielders at once, as surely Swift is a bit wasted in defensive midfield? It's like booking a gifted plate juggler and asking him to stay in the kitchen and do the washing up. If only we had someone like Leigertwood, who no way would've let the likes of Wigan and Barnsley carve through our midfield rearguard on repeat like a knife through Philadelphia Light.

Pușcaș is half decent at taking long balls down with his chest, but they mostly bounce off to nowhere. If we're going to keep using that tactic, he needs backup from players who can feed off his spillage, so to speak; but no one's ever anywhere near him, so it's a waste of time. We can't expect George more than once every 50 times to glance the ball round the defender, burst away with his arse on fire, score a worldy in the top corner, and dive into the crowd for a hug with Brendy and co.

Shuttle bus highlight: Sheffield youths serenading us as "pie-and-mash-eating southern bastards".

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Mar 2020 21:27

karbota But dont like the look of that Nigerian lad, looked lost and far too clumsy, not one to keep.

:?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Mar 2020 21:30

facaldaqui Really enjoyed the game. After their early goal, I thought we were in for a pasting--but gradually we got into it and gave them a proper game. Which amazed me, considering how crap we were against Wigan and Barnsley. (I know we beat Barnsley, but Barnsley were poor compared to Atlético Wigan.) This was our best performance of the 3 home games, I thought. Mind you, Sheffield managed to be surprisingly pedestrian, even without Norwood.

This midfield trio of Swift, Olise, and Ejaria is a weird old set up, and no mistake--but proper entertaining, what with such ball skills. Their clever jinxes and turns can make me laugh out loud. Is there anything more comically surreal than watching Ejaria do 2 or 3 mind-bending pirouettes in a row before falling flat on his face? Olise is almost as unorthodox, doing difficult things well and simple things badly. If only any of them had the speed to go with their twinkle feet--because what they don't give us is much forward momentum. (Rinomhota, by contrast, is less silky but can drive forward with more incision.) I can't say I agree with playing all our tricksy midfielders at once, as surely Swift is a bit wasted in defensive midfield? It's like booking a gifted plate juggler and asking him to stay in the kitchen and do the washing up. If only we had someone like Leigertwood, who no way would've let the likes of Wigan and Barnsley carve through our midfield rearguard on repeat like a knife through Philadelphia Light.

Pușcaș is half decent at taking long balls down with his chest, but they mostly bounce off to nowhere. If we're going to keep using that tactic, he needs backup from players who can feed off his spillage, so to speak; but no one's ever anywhere near him, so it's a waste of time. We can't expect George more than once every 50 times to glance the ball round the defender, burst away with his arse on fire, score a worldy in the top corner, and dive into the crowd for a hug with Brendy and co.

Shuttle bus highlight: Sheffield youths serenading us as "pie-and-mash-eating southern bastards".

Pie and Mash?

Olives and Hummus more like. Ignorant northern tw@ts

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 04 Mar 2020 23:48

Hound
karbota But dont like the look of that Nigerian lad, looked lost and far too clumsy, not one to keep.

:?

I'll see your :? and raise you a :roll:

175 posts