Enjoying or hating the no football era?

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Enjoying or hating the no football era?

by South Coast Royal » 20 Mar 2020 09:54

Green Football is pretty low down my list of concerns at the best of times.

At these, shall we say "sub-optimal" times that remains the case. That said, glad I got in the trip to Brum before the shutdown.

IIRc you and papes are two that go on benders before and after football so I suspect you will miss the pubs closing next week more than the football.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 20 Mar 2020 09:59

AthleticoSpizz
Jagermesiter1871 urm not enjoying it. why would you? its basically like summer but nothing has concluded, the weather is crap and half the country are dying. Isn't gr8 tbh.
yes, but apart from that

Think of the injuries that will have time to recover

Genuine question...are teams still covertly (or not) training?

It looks as though the players are all in the WFH brigade with supposedly strict individual training regimes.
I'm with jagermeister and missing sport badly and , as he said, "it's like Summer" and I would add "without the cricket".
For horse racing fans and addicts apparently the Irish are keeping going with no general public at the tracks.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 20 Mar 2020 21:12

Not missing any of it, although that is helped by the fact that it’s not happening at all, rather than it’s happening but I can’t partake.
Work is manic, family issues need attention and I’ve drawn up a long list of jobs/projects that have needed doing for (in some cases) years and will now actually happen !

Bigtimmeh

by Bigtimmeh » 21 Mar 2020 13:20

South Coast Royal
AthleticoSpizz
Jagermesiter1871 urm not enjoying it. why would you? its basically like summer but nothing has concluded, the weather is crap and half the country are dying. Isn't gr8 tbh.
yes, but apart from that

Think of the injuries that will have time to recover

Genuine question...are teams still covertly (or not) training?

It looks as though the players are all in the WFH brigade with supposedly strict individual training regimes.
I'm with jagermeister and missing sport badly and , as he said, "it's like Summer" and I would add "without the cricket".
For horse racing fans and addicts apparently the Irish are keeping going with no general public at the tracks.

The Belarusian premier League is still going, with a crowd too. It is live streamed on coral bet. Not the best quality and horrible artificial pitches but still football...

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Mar 2020 14:21

Quite enjoying it.

No knee jerk rants about us drawing or losing.
No having a go at Bowen for not picking the exact team and formation people want.
No stupid goals conceded.
No struggling to create chances.
No ridiculous expectations
No Leeds winning.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 21 Mar 2020 15:34

If Bowen had played three at the back then this virus would never have made it out of Wuhan. :x

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 21 Mar 2020 18:16

Good news - we haven’t lost at home in the league for nearly a month 8)

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 22 Mar 2020 12:04

Should we just simulate our match threads?

From 3pm to 3:45 everyone posts a load of swearing, worst match they've ever been to, etc..

From 3:45 to 4 there's less swearing but agreement that we should sack the manager.

At 4:27 everyone posts variations upon "GTFI Meite!"

Then at 4:41, Puscas scores a winner and everyone rushes to quote other people's "sack the manager" posts.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 22 Mar 2020 12:06

Great idea ! ...as long as ‘Westwood’ gets to do the BFTG player ratings post match

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 23 Mar 2020 10:17

Hating it.

If only because of my footy hating wife and friends saying "see, you don't need footy! They're overpaid etc"

Well these guys, highly paid as they may be, spend the precious days of their lives working incredibly hard from a young age to be able to work (if they make it, and if no injuries) for a few short years and entertain literally 100s of millions of people around the world.

I miss it.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 23 Mar 2020 13:49

Honestly starting to wish we could have a no stats era....

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 23 Mar 2020 14:27

Actually don't care. Very low on my list of priorities. Dads in a nursing home in plaintive care. Don't think he has long but if he goes in the next few months the send off will be awful with no services and only 6 people allowed by the graveside.
Its bad enough I cant be with him as it is...….We try skyping into the home but hes 97 deaf and now almost blind so its becoming pointless..
This is really f*cking depressing. So you see footy is not really in the top bit of my list.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 23 Mar 2020 14:35

Sutekh Honestly starting to wish we could have a no stats era....

29%of people generally agree with you
78% of the time I am one of those people
45% of people dislike stats generally anyway
89% of people can't tell when stats have just been made up
95% of people hate unreferenced stats that might have been made up
99.9% of people hate stats that may be true but are misunderstood, taken out of context, misinterpreted and used to come up with crazy conclusions

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 23 Mar 2020 19:46

Tough break Ascot...horrendous times

All the best

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 24 Mar 2020 12:38

If it was only no football, say if the players all went on strike or something I would probably enjoy doing something else on a Saturday/evening.... unfortunately many of those alternatives are now also off limits.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 24 Mar 2020 15:25

Of course I miss football. It's not important in the context of current events, but ultimately it's part of my structure in normal life. I discuss it work with colleagues, it keeps WhatsApp threads with old friends active, and many weekends are structured around watching it.

I can't wait until it returns (properly, with fans in the stadium). More than anything, it will be a clear sign that these awful times are behind us. I hope that when we return to the Madejski, it's sold out for a massive celebration, even if the team is rubbish on the pitch.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 24 Mar 2020 15:26

WestYorksRoyal Of course I miss football. It's not important in the context of current events, but ultimately it's part of my structure in normal life. I discuss it work with colleagues, it keeps WhatsApp threads with old friends active, and many weekends are structured around watching it.

I can't wait until it returns (properly, with fans in the stadium). More than anything, it will be a clear sign that these awful times are behind us. I hope that when we return to the Madejski, it's sold out for a massive celebration, even if the team is rubbish on the pitch.

I really hope this as well, say it returns in May or June, the weather is great and there is a full house, think it would be really special.

I am sure the club will work on something to attract as many fans as possible.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 24 Mar 2020 18:05

May or June is wishful thinking I'm afraid. If football by some miracle returns by that time then it will be behind closed doors.

Cape Town Royal

by Cape Town Royal » 25 Mar 2020 04:58

sandman May or June is wishful thinking I'm afraid. If football by some miracle returns by that time then it will be behind closed doors.

Yes, and next year is our 150th anniversary... It will be just Reading's luck to find that football does not return to 2022!!

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 25 Mar 2020 07:29

SCIAG Should we just simulate our match threads?

From 3pm to 3:45 everyone posts a load of swearing, worst match they've ever been to, etc..

From 3:45 to 4 there's less swearing but agreement that we should sack the manager.

At 4:27 everyone posts variations upon "GTFI Meite!"

Then at 4:41, Puscas scores a winner and everyone rushes to quote other people's "sack the manager" posts.

So true...