What got you into supporting RFC?! And when you did who was your nearest team?

fred sharpes nose

Re: What got you into supporting RFC?! And when you did who was your nearest team?

by fred sharpes nose » 06 Apr 2020 21:40

I have been reflecting on this myself for some months - passage of time and all that

Was it family connections? My Dad was never into football but me and my brother were. His mate at work persuaded him to bring us both and go along with him and his lad to "the big game". Was my 2nd ever game - my first match had been a school trip to Spurs vs Saints the year before

A memorable game? My first - the "big game". Reading riding high in Div 3 vs Luton Town - may well have been 1st vs 2nd. A soaking wet rainy night 11th March 1970. Over 18000 crammed into Elm Park - we were soaked on the Town End. The noise, especially from the mythical South Bank was spin chilling (when I grew up enough and went on my own with a mate a few years later. we'd venture closer and closer to the really hard lads Under The Clock but not too close). The lights, the clarity of the wet grass, the smell, the language, the jostling - the whole atmosphere was electric. Of course we lost in the 89th minute - Malcolm McDonald turned Fred Sharpe our journey man centre half (as they were in those days) to score the only goal of the game. Us lads from a village out in the big city / big wide world - fabulous

Location? have lived close enough for many years apart from the Uni days and the obligatory spell in London. Local team yes in mileage terms, though Aldershot may have been pretty much the same distance from my parents home

Lifelong thing? Yes. May have a had a season ticket for one or two years back in the EP days and been a ST holder since the season before the 106 year. Traveled to many Div3/4 away games. Been to a game every season - the number depends on location/family growing up etc Actually forgot to renew this year so attendance has declined to about 40% of the games this season. It IS VERY EASY to break the habit of going

Do you still support and follow them? Yes but becoming a bit meh in reality - last game was the Sheff Utd cup match - nearest to my 50th anniversary. See above - its easy not to go as much (and the Radio is good) I am losing faith with football in general - too much money sloshing around and a manufactured experience.

As a lad in the 70s/80s there was an edginess in the game we don't have now - seems so much more sanitised now - maybe the young fans still "get it" - maybe I'm just a grumpy old git

IMO Ridiculous we are owned by some (albeit good) guys on the other side of the world. Don't feel as the strongly the bond, not so much of the "my local team", local / academy guys not really making great progress etc. Who from the current lot will be the next Mick and Adie in 10 years time ??? Miss the days of Madjeski running it and punching above our weight.

50 years a Royal (or should some of that time be a Biscuitman? ) - Once a Royal always a Royal of course......but the pull is getting weaker

One87One

Re: What got you into supporting RFC?! And when you did who was your nearest team?

by One87One » 07 Apr 2020 16:09

Simmops Was it family connections?
A memorable game?
Location?
Lifelong thing?
Do you still support and follow them?

I grew up in the 80's in a family made up mostly of Liverpool and Man Utd fans, with one uncle being a Hammer, and my father being Chelsea. My club of choice was Liverpool and remained so until I was deemed old enough to go and watch Reading play, and that was in 1992 I think at home to Crewe.

My main memory of that day in the Tilehurst End was trying to get to the ball first before the other kids so I could throw it back to a player when it went out for a goal kick or a corner, and waiting 15 minutes in the queue for a burger only for them to run out just as we got to the front.

It was 18 months before I started going regularly and I was a lot taller, just after we won the old second division (now league one). Again this was from the Tilehurst End until my father decided we could try the South Bank.

We stood at the back on the halfway line, and the minute the South Bank sung "Super Reading..." I was hooked. The hairs on the back of my neck stood up and I went cold. From that day forth we moved down towards the away end, in line with the 18 yard box, and I never left a game again with my voice intact.

Since the move to the Madejski, we were always Y26, and now C1871.

FWIW I don't support Liverpool as I don't think you can or should support two clubs, but they were a big part of my youth, and the reason I initially fell in love with the game, so I would say I do follow them and look for their result immediately after ours.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 07 Apr 2020 18:56

Two great last posts..I was just a season or two behind you FSN....differing (but exciting times)...power cuts, odd kick-off times, Readings first black player (I live in what was once AA’s parents house just two miles from both grounds), the smell of damp clothing, beer and nicotine, lads from my school getting the odd cameo first team game.....bovril with a big lump of undissolved clag in the bottom of the paper cup....fans parking on grass verges all the way down Tilehurst Road, pink Evening Posts and on and on it goes...

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 07 Apr 2020 19:18

Was it family connections? Yes. Two uncles had been watching since 1932 and 1946 and my mum watched for over 50 years. Nan lived in Rutland Road, worked at the club as a tea lady and boarded trialiists and apprentices for many years. Uncles took to me to my first game at EP on 1st January 1966 vs Walsall. Won 3-0.
A memorable game? Two games and they both involve the same team. Reading 5 Tranmere 0 in 1976, not just for Friday's goal, but the fact that Reading played a promotion rival off the park; Tranmere 1 Reading 3 in 1995. Probably the best Reading performance I have witnessed.
Location? First of all on the Town End, but got a season ticket for the Norfolk Road 'B' stand in 1974. Moved to the Tilehurst End around 1980 and stayed there until Elm Park went in 1998.
Lifelong thing? Absolutely. Once you are hooked, you are hooked for life. Followed no other team, but I did idolize some players as a kid, and they were all Scots: Alex Young, Denis Law, Jim Baxter.
Do you still support and follow them? Definitely. Although I now live in the US and can only get home once or twice for home games, I still get the same feeling in the pit of my stomach when I see the footy results. My mood is definitely affected by the score. I also know that some people that I do not see any longer will think of me when they hear of Reading Football Club.

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 08 Apr 2020 00:02

You're a season before me, Ark.... 14th February, 1968 was my first game at EP. A 0-0 against Northampton but it was Valentine's day and my unrequited love was sealed.
I was born in Gosport and my grandparents and mother were STHs at Fratton Park (my grandpa was an honourary life president) and so the first games I can remember are at Pompey. We moved to the 'Ding in '67.
My old man was born literally a couple of stones throws from The Valley but he didn't try very hard - just 3 or 4 games before he pegged it - to get me to support the Addicks. I do owe him for igniting the passion for RFC, though.
Location? First couple of seasons in B block as a 5/6 year old and he used to lift me over the turnstile to avoid paying. Town End before it became 'visiting supporters only.' Transfer to the SB. Under the gantry. R&T.
Memorable games? Too many.
Plymouth at EP.
Pox at the Manor with Terry the Taxi for its awfulness.
Tranmere away in the play-offs.
Simod Cup final - and Coventry and Forest.
Holsgrove becoming Maradonna at Ayresome Park.
Scotty Taylor burying Brighton at Goldstone.
*That* game at Southampton with ALF.
Arsenal in the cup in '72 - what a header for an OG from Wooler.
Burnley at Turf Moor when Bobby Convey dazzled before they crippled him, and the snowball fight at Hebden Bridge.
Leroy's brace at the Council House.
Notlob and that cheating Scouser McAteer.
Any game against Aldersh*t - especially '79 at EP.
Newport away in '85.
But, of course, there is only one answer: the greatest footballer ever to wear the Hoops. Tranmere. EP. 1976.

Lifelong? Hell yes. Why else do I put myself through this misery every season? It's the hope that kills us. One club for life.

Do you still support? Well, I've lived in the Middle East for the past 23 years and I'm still fortunate enough to go to around 10-15 matches every season. Bonkers? Yup.

It's the comedy, drama, theatre and passion. And one can't beat a good away day which keeps one coming back.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 08 Apr 2020 08:12

great thread, well played DD.

Born in Reading (Coningham Road, Whitely Wood, probably no-one on here was born closer to the Mad stad.). Lived a long time in Tilehurst, so could walk to EP.

Dad took me to EP in 1969, aged 8, v Port Vale or Mansfield (I think I saw both that season).

Have followed them passionately since, but left Reading in 1979.

Been to most major events (Wembley 5 times, the only win being the Simod Cup :roll: ), Leicester away etc. Been to more away games than home ones over the past 30 years, due to having family up in the North.

Definitely less interest in football in general these days, but my mood is 100% dictated by how we get on, and always will.

Best season 1975-76, followed by the 106 one.

One87One

by One87One » 08 Apr 2020 08:58

AthleticoSpizz Two great last posts..I was just a season or two behind you FSN....differing (but exciting times)...power cuts, odd kick-off times, Readings first black player (I live in what was once AA’s parents house just two miles from both grounds), the smell of damp clothing, beer and nicotine, lads from my school getting the odd cameo first team game.....bovril with a big lump of undissolved clag in the bottom of the paper cup....fans parking on grass verges all the way down Tilehurst Road, pink Evening Posts and on and on it goes...

My old man was friends with Andy Alleyne (RIP), and played in what was effectively our reserve side back in the day. I, by coincidence, went to school with his son too (Adrian), also a good footballer, but was too interested in smoking and playing up than making a career of it.

purleY19

by purleY19 » 08 Apr 2020 09:05

Generations of family on both sides are from Reading and Berkshire but there was never any interest in football, everyone was and still is into motorsport and I’m still the only one who watches football.

I got into football during the World Cup in 1998 (aged 11) and after needed a club to say I supported. Not really being aware of RFC, a good friend at school and his Dad were Arsenal supporters so I followed them for a while, but never went to a game. Then in 2000 I went with them to watch my first live game, Reading v Colchester (lost 1-0) and I was hooked. I’ve not missed many games in the following twenty years, with ST moving from north east corner to Y26 and lately C1871.

Most memorable game was a 3-0 win over Burnley in 2002, I convinced my family to come along (they’ve been once since) and Cureton scored a long range dipper near the end. Not a classic match but it’s stuck in my head. 3-2 against Palace with Lita’s overhead kick too.

My enthusiasm has waned over the last few years, especially as friends I have gone with have given up their tickets, but I know I’ll always go, even if I move away in the future.

Barney
Hob Nob Regular

by Barney » 08 Apr 2020 13:30

Supporting RFC ? My Dad took me (first time was pre-decimalisation, so before Feb 1971). Therfore, circa 1970.
Nearest team ? Born and bred in Reading. Lived in Tilehurst for many many years....Reading FC are simply MY team, absolute no-brainer.

Currently on 40th consecutive season with a season ticket, so clearly I am in for life. Just love 'em to bits. Relegations, promotions,
Wembley appearances, the old local derbies, Robin Friday, going through the 'ranks' from Tilehurst End, to Southbank, to gobby chanter.
Clambering on fences at away grounds. Love it all.

Great thread. Great memories :D

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 08 Apr 2020 13:36

1983 was my first match.....my dad had taken me to the Hawthorns on and off from 1979 to watch West Brom in the hope that I would support "his" team. However my dad had moved down here from Birmingham in the 60's so I was born and bred here. I kept pestering him to take me to watch Reading and he eventually relented.

We were both season ticket holders from the 1984/85 season and I have been one ever since (my dad stopped going in the early 90's). Now there are 6 of us that go - me, my better half, both kids, mum and nephew....

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 08 Apr 2020 14:28

LUX great thread, well played DD.

Born in Reading (Coningham Road, Whitely Wood, probably no-one on here was born closer to the Mad stad.). Lived a long time in Tilehurst, so could walk to EP.

Dad took me to EP in 1969, aged 8, v Port Vale or Mansfield (I think I saw both that season).

Been to most major events (Wembley 5 times, the only win being the Simod Cup :roll: ), Leicester away etc. Been to more away games than home ones over the past 30 years, due to having family up in the North.

Definitely less interest in football in general these days, but my mood is 100% dictated by how we get on, and always will.

Sorry, but I can take being born (I was born at home, during WW 2) the nearest to the Mad. Stad. away from you. According to Google Maps, my former house in Greenfields Road is .4 of a mile closer. Pity, we played at Elm Park (and I lived in Windsor) when I started watching RFC. See my previous post about it all came about. Who knows if I would have got the Biscuiment/Royals bug years earlier, if the Mad Stad was our home before I left Reading.

One87One

by One87One » 08 Apr 2020 14:53

The Royal Forester

Sorry, but I can take being born (I was born at home, during WW 2) the nearest to the Mad. Stad. away from you. According to Google Maps, my former house in Greenfields Road is .4 of a mile closer. Pity, we played at Elm Park (and I lived in Windsor) when I started watching RFC. See my previous post about it all came about. Who knows if I would have got the Biscuiment/Royals bug years earlier, if the Mad Stad was our home before I left Reading.

Lived in Greenfields myself, 1998-2001.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 08 Apr 2020 15:08

One87One
The Royal Forester

Lived in Greenfields myself, 1998-2001.

I lived what would now be opposite Byworth Close. Did you live near there?

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 08 Apr 2020 15:10

My Dad was a Reading fan & used to go to Elm Park.
We lived in Reading
I was asked at primary school who I supported so I said Reading
Reading FC game out free tickets for families at my brothers school so I got to go to my first game at Elm Park at aged 11

Combination of the above.

One87One

by One87One » 08 Apr 2020 15:41

The Royal Forester I lived what would now be opposite Byworth Close. Did you live near there?

I was a few from the alley way which takes you through to Basingstoke Rd. The house looked onto the old car showroom was it? It's now a Lidl and some houses.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 08 Apr 2020 15:45

The Royal Forester Sorry, but I can take being born (I was born at home, during WW 2) the nearest to the Mad. Stad. away from you. According to Google Maps, my former house in Greenfields Road is .4 of a mile closer.

:evil: :evil: :evil:

Hang on, were you born at home as I was, or in a hospital?

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 08 Apr 2020 16:09

LUX
The Royal Forester Sorry, but I can take being born (I was born at home, during WW 2) the nearest to the Mad. Stad. away from you. According to Google Maps, my former house in Greenfields Road is .4 of a mile closer.

:evil: :evil: :evil:

Hang on, were you born at home as I was, or in a hospital?

Yes, at home, so were both of my brothers and sister. I think in those days, most babies were home births.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 08 Apr 2020 17:34

Then I concede.

Right. I used to drink (underage) with John Minty Murray. Beat that.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 08 Apr 2020 17:53

LUX Then I concede.

Right. I used to drink (underage) with John Minty Murray. Beat that.

I concede. I didn't drink underage, and only for a few years when old enough. An alcoholic drink has not passed my lips for more then half a century. Never missed it and had better things to spend my hard earned cash on.

fred sharpes nose

by fred sharpes nose » 08 Apr 2020 23:13

This is a great thread - does it tell us something about the fans (on here at least)? This seems to be (no disrespect intended) an "older person" conversation. And sadly a recurring theme (of a number of posts) is a gradual drifting away, though still a supporter...... are we like the Conservative Party full of oldies slowly popping off ?

The future of any club lies in its youth - players and supporters. Is the demographic of our fan base a cause for future concern. I wonder what the age profile of the fans who have stayed away is - predominantly older or younger ? We have lost what 1/3 of our support in recent years ?

Questions and no answers - maybe all irrelevant but hey ho