EFL Football to return behind closed doors

15 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

EFL Football to return behind closed doors

by Mr Angry » 17 Apr 2020 10:46

The Independent is reporting this morning that EFL games will resume behind closed doors, and that the season will be completed....

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foo ... 70056.html

All games across the Championship, League One and League Two are set to be broadcast live on television or online after the English Football League confirmed football will resume behind closed doors.

An open letter to fans from EFL chairman Rick Parry confirmed that there is no scheduled date for the return of football across the country due to the uncertainty that follows the coronavirus crisis, with the government on Thursday announcing a further three-week UK lockdown that runs until 7 May at the very least.

Parry confirmed that when games eventually resume, fans will be locked out of EFL matches, meaning hundreds of thousands of season-ticket holders and match-going supporters face missing out on a large chunk of the remaining 2019/20 season, if not all of it.

To make up for the absence of attendable matches, the EFL has vowed to try and make every match across their leagues available to watch from home after entering talks with broadcast partners, iFollow and club streaming services, which should in theory should enable football to return sooner than if thousands of supporters were in attendance.

The Independent has seen a letter sent by the EFL to all club members detailing a plan that recommends a return-to-training date for players of 16 May, should the level of lockdown be eased next month, and that while a return date has not been officially rubber-stamped clubs have been instructed to prepare for a resumption ‘at short notice’.

Parry said: “To give you an honest assessment of the current situation; the point at which you will be able to attend games again remains unclear. Please be assured, however, that we are going to welcome you back to stadiums as soon as it is safe to do so. Your contribution to the matchday experience and atmospheres created in stadia up and down the country is something we should never take for granted. Unfortunately, I cannot tell you today when football will resume, though whenever we do return, matches are likely to be played without crowds.

“And whilst we are unfortunately without the presence of the hundreds of thousands of supporters who pass through EFL turnstiles each week, we will endeavour to bring live football direct into your homes once it returns. Plans are continuing to be worked up for all games to be broadcast either via our broadcast partners, iFollow or equivalent Club streaming services. We will update you on this once we know when matches will recommence.”

Bonzodog

Re: EFL Football to return behind closed doors

by Bonzodog » 17 Apr 2020 11:59

This is an interesting article in Sports Illustrated. It does base itself on American sports but shows how difficult it is to proceed behind closed doors.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2020/04/10/sport ... -back-soon

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Apr 2020 12:11

Footy is huge business. I think there will be a load of pressure to get games going ASAP in some form

Afaik Sky haven’t considered asking for their money back yet - but if they do that is going to hurt

I think they’ll get something going behind closed doors and just suck up the fact that they’ll need to be clever on how they do it

Franconian Royal

by Franconian Royal » 17 Apr 2020 12:27

That’s all well and good wanting to play games behind closed doors, but this won’t stop fans going to the stadia in their thousands, will it? Could you imagine that Leeds’ fans (the biggest team in the land) staying at home? Then there’s the safety risk of those who do try to turn up, who might have corona, giving it those who don’t have corona. This is an accident waiting to happen. Behind doors or with doors wide open, it’s a bad idea in my opinion.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Apr 2020 12:34

Franconian Royal That’s all well and good wanting to play games behind closed doors, but this won’t stop fans going to the stadia in their thousands, will it? Could you imagine that Leeds’ fans (the biggest team in the land) staying at home? Then there’s the safety risk of those who do try to turn up, who might have corona, giving it those who don’t have corona. This is an accident waiting to happen. Behind doors or with doors wide open, it’s a bad idea in my opinion.

Water cannon and tear gas should soon sort the fukwits who do it out.

And I think you're vastly overestimating who would when they can just watch the actual thing at home.

Bonzodog

by Bonzodog » 17 Apr 2020 12:47

For the EFL to get up and running, there will have to be mass testing of each team who will then need isolating for the remainder of the season possibly for 2 months in a hotel away from their families. Where are the games played.
The same isolation period will apply to officials, non playing staff, caterers, hotel staff, medical staff.

Who pays for it all?

Why should professional footballers receive preferential treatment for COVID 19 testing than any other worker.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 17 Apr 2020 12:54

Snowflake Royal
Franconian Royal That’s all well and good wanting to play games behind closed doors, but this won’t stop fans going to the stadia in their thousands, will it? Could you imagine that Leeds’ fans (the biggest team in the land) staying at home? Then there’s the safety risk of those who do try to turn up, who might have corona, giving it those who don’t have corona. This is an accident waiting to happen. Behind doors or with doors wide open, it’s a bad idea in my opinion.

Water cannon and tear gas should soon sort the fukwits who do it out.

And I think you're vastly overestimating who would when they can just watch the actual thing at home.

who knows m8 although I tend to agree with your statement

Franconian Royal

by Franconian Royal » 17 Apr 2020 12:55

I’m happy to be wrong.

I just hope that Parry and his bunch don’t bend over backwards to Leeds and the other teams in and directly outside the play offs (not including us in this as we’re not close enough) to restart just so they might possibly get promoted.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 17 Apr 2020 13:19

Franconian Royal I’m happy to be wrong.

This board's probably not the place for you TBF.

download

by download » 17 Apr 2020 13:20

The Sports Illustrated article is well worth a read, but it makes you realise that there is little or no chance of any meaningful football until the end of the year. It carefully takes apart the idea of games being played behind closed doors.

The main driver with all of this is the money and Parry's role is to protect the EFL financially so understandably they are trying to find a way through.

I can't see anything much happening until after the summer.

One87One

by One87One » 17 Apr 2020 14:57

Here's to Leeds falling apart again!

parky
Hob Nob Regular

by parky » 17 Apr 2020 17:21

The EFL are looking into games being played at out of town hubs. Stadiums close to motorways and out of city centres. Reading or MK being good examples. Grounds like Elland Rd wouldn't be used to host games for this exact reason, beacuse the ground cannot be isolated to stop people turning up outside.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 17 Apr 2020 18:58

parky

The EFL are looking into games being played at out of town hubs. Stadiums close to motorways and out of city centres. Reading or MK being good examples. Grounds like Elland Rd wouldn't be used to host games for this exact reason, beacuse the ground cannot be isolated to stop people turning up outside.

Elland Road is a fair distance out of the city centre

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 17 Apr 2020 19:35

Looking forward to getting all my mates round and watching the games. Might rotate who's house we watch it round, the more the merrier.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 17 Apr 2020 20:00

Jagermesiter1871 Looking forward to getting all my mates round and watching the games. Might rotate who's house we watch it round, the more the merrier.

Take this shit to the stage!

15 posts   •   Page 1 of 1