Biggest Reading FC injustices

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Biggest Reading FC injustices

by From Despair To Where? » 22 May 2020 19:39

Brain Traysers I also recall a game against Leicester where the keeper rushed out of goal and wiped out Kitson (?) from behind - he got nowhere near the ball, and Kits had to go off, yet it was only a yellow (?) I initially thought it was Ian Walker, but now I think its a different keeper with a similar slicked back hair... maybe it wasn't even Leicester...

I remember that happening against Preston in 2005/06. Keeper came out and did a full Harald Schumacher knee to the head on Kitson. I think it might have been Carlo Nash, he definitely had Ian Walker hair. They were on something like a 20 game unbeaten run at the time.

They only conceded 30 goals that season and we got 5 of them.
Last edited by From Despair To Where? on 22 May 2020 19:48, edited 1 time in total.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 22 May 2020 19:48

It was Carlo Nash (an edit in time :wink: )that battered and clattered Kits FDTW......never forgave him ever since.

remember the script of Harps going up to a very dazed (probably concussed) and disoriented Kits and saying....”don’t worry mate, you’ were never as good looking as me anyway”....or something like that...back in the days when we had team spirit and banter.

Brain Traysers

by Brain Traysers » 22 May 2020 19:58

From Despair To Where?
Brain Traysers I also recall a game against Leicester where the keeper rushed out of goal and wiped out Kitson (?) from behind - he got nowhere near the ball, and Kits had to go off, yet it was only a yellow (?) I initially thought it was Ian Walker, but now I think its a different keeper with a similar slicked back hair... maybe it wasn't even Leicester...

I remember that happening against Preston in 2005/06. Keeper came out and did a full Harald Schumacher knee to the head on Kitson. Wikipedia says Andy Lonerghan was thir keeper that season. They were on something like a 20 game unbeaten run at the time.

They only conceded 30 goals that season and we got 5 of them.

Funny - I opened the match report from a game against Preston in 04/05 but decided it wasn't Lonergan. I think the greasy haired keeper I was thinking of was Carlo Nash - who indeed was in goal on 25th Feb 2006 against Preston, the game after we had lost away at Luton. Lita scored a late winner (so I guess this doesn't qualify as a major injustice) after coming on for a concussed Kitson after 40 mins. Kitson was on the bench the following game, coming on at half time (mid 00's concussion protcoLOLs).

Nick Newbury's match report With Kitson nearly having his head taken off by the outrageous challenge from the Preston keeper and Sidwell being flattened by a dreadful challenge just when you needed a good referee we had a gormless dwarf pillock of a twat who gave us nothing and was a disgrace to name of refereeing.

Link to incident... probably not as bad as I thought at the time

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 22 May 2020 20:09

Thanks Brayners...rayndabait as i remember it, sure looked worse from the N Stand

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 22 May 2020 20:37

LUX On the positive side that ghost goal at home to Rochdale in 1975.

The great Tommy Youlden
Although that was at the other end to us, we were right behind it and didn't celebrate as it was so obviously wide :lol: :lol:

OldBiscuit

by OldBiscuit » 22 May 2020 22:46

I think Thames Valley’s mounted cavalry baton charge on over excited youngsters after we scored in the home leg of the Play Off semi final against Wigan was hard to justify.

I’m not condoning pitch invasions, but it wasn’t that big and it wasn’t threatening, and it could have easily been dealt with by the Stewards, but I guess the Copers were itching for it.

PS: Admin, please note that this is freedom of speech.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 22 May 2020 22:58

Watford. In our favour.

But the biggest injustice must've been Bodin being sent off for us for two yellows when he didn't commit the foul, the ref just cocked up. We lost our best player that day.

elrey

by elrey » 23 May 2020 06:37

Tommy Burns and Terry Bullivant being appointed managers for me

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 23 May 2020 06:50

elrey Tommy Burns and Terry Bullivant being appointed managers for me

Appointing Terry Bullivant when Bernd Schuster had applied for the job.

At least Tommy Burns had some pedigree, if not so much at Celtic, certainly by gaining promotion with Kilmarnock after a decade out of the Premier League.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 23 May 2020 09:35

Terry Hurlock's red card at Wigan.

Wigan player attacks Big Tel, bounces off and apparently that was enough for a red.

OK, not really. That was bad but McAteer trumps the lot with bells on

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 23 May 2020 11:08

We played Leeds away twice in the League Cup in 95/6 and again in 97/8.
Both games now merge into one for me, one was where we made a temporary signing of the Tranmere keeper (Nixon?) on the day of the game.

It wasn't a case of just one bad refereeing decision but a case of dreadful bias against us in both games where, with the rub of the green and wanting not be RTG, I think we really should have got lucrative replays from both games.

I'm not one to go looking for bovver but for one of those games I had driven up with my son in a brand new car bought just 3 days before and we parked in a recognised parking area not far from the ground.
I was still seething as we got back to the car and I very nearly lost it as 3 blokes got into a car parked a bit close to mine and I thought to compound the day they might actually scrape it.

Anyway my son did actually physically hold me back (we still laugh about it now) as I went for the 3 of them who were probably a bit bemused by this nutter picking a fight when nothing had happened (a bit like Ian on here who does it verbally on a regular basis).

They and I live to tell the tale and I have nearly now got over the injustices of the two games when, in both cases, Reading played really well.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 23 May 2020 11:20

I remember being outraged at the Nash challenge, I think his legs going up in the air after the collision made it look worse than it was.

Slightly different but a few years ago we put the ball out for an injury against Sheffield United. They played it back to us tamely, but Billy Sharp nipped in and scored. Within the letters of the law but incredibly unsporting.

Jack Celliers
Hob Nob Regular

by Jack Celliers » 23 May 2020 12:20

I'd like to see video footage of this, because it might not have been completely as I remember it. But part way through some of the most exciting football I had ever seen Reading play, with fans singing ourselves hoarse as Caskey roamed the centre circle directing attack after attack, Barry Hunter headed the ball out for a corner and the referee gave a penalty so we lost 1-0 at Peterborough.

In general, I don't think Bowen has had his share of luck with lots of deflected goals and shit refereeing this season. It's an injustice that we are not a bit closer to the edge of the edge of the play-offs.

mad79

by mad79 » 23 May 2020 13:14

Sam sodje better by sent off at old Trafford for a Rooney off side.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 23 May 2020 13:45

mad79 Sam sodje better by sent off at old Trafford for a Rooney off side.

The ball doesn’t have to be in play for any subsequent action to be an offence deemed punishable by red or yellow cards though.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 23 May 2020 13:48

Sutekh
mad79 Sam sodje better by sent off at old Trafford for a Rooney off side.

The ball doesn’t have to be in play for any subsequent action to be an offence deemed punishable by red or yellow cards though.

It’s hard to deny an offside player a clear goal scoring opportunity though....

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 23 May 2020 14:02

2 world wars, 1 world cup Watford. In our favour.

But the biggest injustice must've been Bodin being sent off for us for two yellows when he didn't commit the foul, the ref just cocked up. We lost our best player that day.

And to double the injustice the club then didn’t bother appealing it meaning Gareth Davies, the actual offender, didn’t receive the subsequent suspension.

There’s also that Hull goal in January 2012 when the Hull striker goes charging though on to a pass from a clearly offside position showing intent to play the ball, so Feds has to come out to set himself up to narrow the angle, only for the striker to suddenly veer off leaving Robbie Brady (I think) who had run through from an onside position a clear shot at goal.

Talking of the Carlo Nash incident there’s also incidents with Paul Futcher, Tyrone Mings and Richard Carpenter - no doubt there may well be a Reading player or two who got a little carried away in their time as well.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 23 May 2020 14:23

Sutekh

And to double the injustice the club then didn’t bother appealing it meaning Gareth Davies, the actual offender, didn’t receive the subsequent suspension.

There’s also that Hull goal in January 2012 when the Hull striker goes charging though on to a pass from a clearly offside position showing intent to play the ball, so Feds has to come out to set himself up to narrow the angle, only for the striker to suddenly veer off leaving Robbie Brady (I think) who had run through from an onside position a clear shot at goal.

Talking of the Carlo Nash incident there’s also incidents with Paul Futcher, Tyrone Mings and Richard Carpenter - no doubt there may well be a Reading player or two who got a little carried away in their time as well.

You’ll be referring to the cynical assaults perpetrated by Hunt and Sonko ?

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 23 May 2020 17:10

Nameless
Sutekh

You’ll be referring to the cynical assaults perpetrated by Hunt and Sonko ?

Only one of them was cynical (allegedly)

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 23 May 2020 18:14

South Coast Royal We played Leeds away twice in the League Cup in 95/6 and again in 97/8.
Both games now merge into one for me, one was where we made a temporary signing of the Tranmere keeper (Nixon?) on the day of the game.

It wasn't a case of just one bad refereeing decision but a case of dreadful bias against us in both games where, with the rub of the green and wanting not be RTG, I think we really should have got lucrative replays from both games.

I'm not one to go looking for bovver but for one of those games I had driven up with my son in a brand new car bought just 3 days before and we parked in a recognised parking area not far from the ground.
I was still seething as we got back to the car and I very nearly lost it as 3 blokes got into a car parked a bit close to mine and I thought to compound the day they might actually scrape it.

Anyway my son did actually physically hold me back (we still laugh about it now) as I went for the 3 of them who were probably a bit bemused by this nutter picking a fight when nothing had happened (a bit like Ian on here who does it verbally on a regular basis).

They and I live to tell the tale and I have nearly now got over the injustices of the two games when, in both cases, Reading played really well.

97/98 - am glad we didn't get a replay given we won 3-2. Having been 2-1 down. Late Morley winner.

We stopped in Sheffield on the way back and left very early in the morning due to pints being bought for us.
Last edited by Stranded on 23 May 2020 18:39, edited 1 time in total.