Biggest Reading FC injustices

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Biggest Reading FC injustices

by Nameless » 23 May 2020 18:31

Franchise FC
Nameless
Sutekh
And to double the injustice the club then didn’t bother appealing it meaning Gareth Davies, the actual offender, didn’t receive the subsequent suspension.

There’s also that Hull goal in January 2012 when the Hull striker goes charging though on to a pass from a clearly offside position showing intent to play the ball, so Feds has to come out to set himself up to narrow the angle, only for the striker to suddenly veer off leaving Robbie Brady (I think) who had run through from an onside position a clear shot at goal.

Talking of the Carlo Nash incident there’s also incidents with Paul Futcher, Tyrone Mings and Richard Carpenter - no doubt there may well be a Reading player or two who got a little carried away in their time as well.

You’ll be referring to the cynical assaults perpetrated by Hunt and Sonko ?

Only one of them was cynical (allegedly)

Fair point. Sonko being Sonko had a big grin on his face I recall !
Bizarrely I had no idea of the shenanigans as I didn’t get into the stadium until close to the end and was extremely confused to see John Terry in goal

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 23 May 2020 18:38

Superman always had a big grin on his face

grey_squirrel

by grey_squirrel » 23 May 2020 19:28

Ron Futcher not being done for GBH after shattering Martin Hick's jaw into a hundred pieces.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 23 May 2020 20:06

SCIAG I remember being outraged at the Nash challenge, I think his legs going up in the air after the collision made it look worse than it was.

Slightly different but a few years ago we put the ball out for an injury against Sheffield United. They played it back to us tamely, but Billy Sharp nipped in and scored. Within the letters of the law but incredibly unsporting.

That Sharp goal was on the coldest night I have ever watched a game. I thought it was deliberate. The ball was crossed over and Sharp buried it.

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 24 May 2020 10:05

Two spring to mind at the start of the 12/13 season.

1. Torres’ offside goal in the Chelsea game. In a game that showed us maintaining our positive momentum from the previous season, we more than held our own against the European Champions. With ten minutes to go a clearly offside Torres puts them in front and the goal is allowed to stand. After the game, McDermott is told that if his players had protested more the goal would’ve probably been disallowed - where’s the justice in that.

2. Sunderland match postponed. Not a referee injustice, but more injustice due to the ineptitude of Sunderland as a club. They had a concert on the pitch in the weeks prior to the game, and clearly had cut corners in trying to get the pitch ready. No match should ever been called off for a waterlogged pitch in August, and if it was I would expect to seen an Ark parked up outside the ground. Instead of going into the game in positive form/frame of mind after a superb performance at Chelsea, we end up having to trudge up to the North East at the start of December and duly get dispatched.

We were clearly well off the pace in 12/13, but had we started the season well we may have had a much better chance at staying up. Getting no points from the above two games and then having to wait 3 and a half weeks for our next game absolutely killed all the positive momentum that we needed to capitalise on.

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 24 May 2020 10:07

Zip
SCIAG I remember being outraged at the Nash challenge, I think his legs going up in the air after the collision made it look worse than it was.

Slightly different but a few years ago we put the ball out for an injury against Sheffield United. They played it back to us tamely, but Billy Sharp nipped in and scored. Within the letters of the law but incredibly unsporting.

That Sharp goal was on the coldest night I have ever watched a game. I thought it was deliberate. The ball was crossed over and Sharp buried it.

It was a combination of both really, very poor form from Sheff Utd. To add to things, Chris Wilders reaction to the Reading bench was appalling when our staff aired their grievance. Absolute lack of humility from him, and I haven’t been able to stand him since. The sooner the Sheff Utd bubble bursts the better.

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by URZZZZZZZZ » 24 May 2020 10:16

Also, I can’t believe York in the FA Cup hasn’t been mentioned yet :shock:

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 24 May 2020 10:30

URZZZZZZZZ
Zip

It was a combination of both really, very poor form from Sheff Utd. To add to things, Chris Wilders reaction to the Reading bench was appalling when our staff aired their grievance. Absolute lack of humility from him, and I haven’t been able to stand him since. The sooner the Sheff Utd bubble bursts the better.

Amen to all of that. We were fuming at the time.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 24 May 2020 10:51

What about the abandonedFA Cup gameagainst Bury where we were 2-0 down and on our way out .
IIRC. Didn’t they present us with some forks afterwards as we had been unable to locate any to help drain the pitch...

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 24 May 2020 12:04

Er...memory playing tricks. :oops: (excuse is that I have a lot of seasons to remember :wink: ).

The injustice that season was, as others have mentioned, that Middlesbrough game afterwards.

The shame was,as with the Simod Cup season, we did well in a Cup competition but still got relegated.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 26 May 2020 12:50

bloody Volvo driver
Nameless Norwich would rightly be annoyed if that ghost goal had actually been given against them, but it wasn’t
We were playing Watford weren’t we ?

Couple of poor reffing decisions at White Hart Lane I recall but not too sure if they were in the same match.
Penalty against us for handball when the call simply bounced up and hit Halford and Defoe tucking in a rebound when he had encroached so far he was nearly offside. It’s hard competing at those grounds at the best of times

Arsenal scoring in that League Cup game in the 7th of 5 added minutes was a choker too

To add insult to injury, Kolscieny, already on a yellow, had to be sent off in the 88th minute for a pull back down near the corner flag of the north & east stand. 1 minute later he pops up with Arsenal’s third goal.

He went through the back of Roberts who was running towards the 18 yard box wasn't he? How the hell he stayed on the pitch is beyond me...…..
Other than that can I throw Adam Federici's hands for the semi final as well.

One87One

by One87One » 26 May 2020 14:32

Nameless What about the abandonedFA Cup gameagainst Bury where we were 2-0 down and on our way out .
IIRC. Didn’t they present us with some forks afterwards as we had been unable to locate any to help drain the pitch...

It rained like never before that night. Queuing to get into the South Bank and everyone was soaked through. When the rearranged game took place a week or whatever it was later, the players ran out and planted forks into the pitch. RIP Bury.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 26 May 2020 15:30

One87One
Nameless What about the abandonedFA Cup gameagainst Bury where we were 2-0 down and on our way out .

It rained like never before that night. Queuing to get into the South Bank and everyone was soaked through. When the rearranged game took place a week or whatever it was later, the players ran out and planted forks into the pitch. RIP Bury.

Is it RIP Bury, though. If I remember rightly, weren't they expelled for not playing some games, as well as financial reasons? If the season is voided (which seems doubtful at the moment), how could they miss games that did not exist........?

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 26 May 2020 15:52

We were in the Tilehurst end that night. Just walking from the Rose and Thistle to the ground got us soaked through to the skin. I've never been so wet in my entire life. When they called it off I shot home, got some dry clothes on and went to the pub.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 26 May 2020 17:17

leon

We were in the Tilehurst end that night. Just walking from the Rose and Thistle to the ground got us soaked through to the skin. I've never been so wet in my entire life. When they called it off I shot home, got some dry clothes on and went to the pub.

Almost as bad as getting drenched like that IMHO is driving to a game (bear in mind we have for so many years had to travel both home and away) thinking it might be off.....and then it is off.
Away to Watford one Boxing Day when the sun was shining brightly, away to Luton also one Bank Holiday, at home to Wolves just before Christmas-conversely amazed to be playing at Walsall after snow and ice.

The injustice was not knowing earlier and at least with better pitches today the cancellations are few and far between.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 26 May 2020 17:44

The Royal Forester
One87One

Is it RIP Bury, though. If I remember rightly, weren't they expelled for not playing some games, as well as financial reasons? If the season is voided (which seems doubtful at the moment), how could they miss games that did not exist........?

Because they did exist ?

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 27 May 2020 13:14

South Coast Royal
leon

Almost as bad as getting drenched like that IMHO is driving to a game (bear in mind we have for so many years had to travel both home and away) thinking it might be off.....and then it is off.
Away to Watford one Boxing Day when the sun was shining brightly, away to Luton also one Bank Holiday, at home to Wolves just before Christmas-conversely amazed to be playing at Walsall after snow and ice.

The injustice was not knowing earlier and at least with better pitches today the cancellations are few and far between.

Rotherham away was about as bad as it gets.
All the way there on the coach and when we got to the ground it was not just waterlogged, it was under feet of water. There was no way the game was going ahead and they must've known that from at least lunchtime that day.
Still, got to see the boys playing some five-a-side in the gym at the ground so I suppose it wasn't all that bad. :roll:

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 27 May 2020 17:32

WestYorksRoyal In keeping with several threads asking people to reminisce, I'm doing one on the worst refereeing injustices we've had. 2 stick in my mind:

1) Jason McAteer not getting sent off for the penalty at Wembley. Yes, Archie should have scored and we should have won anyway, but the comeback was never on if the ref got it right.

2) The referee providing a defence splitting pass for Norwich at the Mad Stad. We were in the mix for the playoffs at the time, and that defeat left us with a mountain to climb.

Can't think of many successes we owe to a refereeing clanger. No doubt our ghost goal at Norwich will get a mention, but it actually wasn't particularly important in the context of the season. Maybe our penalty against Fulham in 2017 was iffy.

To be fair the ref from the Norwich game did insist on appearing on the TV afterwards to apologise. If only officials today were big enough (and allowed) to do the same.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 27 May 2020 22:28

RoyalBlue
WestYorksRoyal In keeping with several threads asking people to reminisce, I'm doing one on the worst refereeing injustices we've had. 2 stick in my mind:

1) Jason McAteer not getting sent off for the penalty at Wembley. Yes, Archie should have scored and we should have won anyway, but the comeback was never on if the ref got it right.

2) The referee providing a defence splitting pass for Norwich at the Mad Stad. We were in the mix for the playoffs at the time, and that defeat left us with a mountain to climb.

Can't think of many successes we owe to a refereeing clanger. No doubt our ghost goal at Norwich will get a mention, but it actually wasn't particularly important in the context of the season. Maybe our penalty against Fulham in 2017 was iffy.

To be fair the ref from the Norwich game did insist on appearing on the TV afterwards to apologise. If only officials today were big enough (and allowed) to do the same.

Didn't realise he did that, I remember being furious, in the end it didn't really matter and if we had gone up through the play-offs, we wouldn't have got the 106 season.

Just got reminded we finished next to Sheffield United 4 seasons in a row concluding with our promotion to the Premier League, what a weird coincidence.