The effect of the break

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: The effect of the break

by Nameless » 31 May 2020 15:32

Sutekh
Westwood52 Don’t know about season ticket holders.I did think we could maybe we would get priority on a direct televised link to the game.But you can imagine the uproar.Plus we would suddenly become very popular with other fans breaking the regs and wanting to come round to watch.The red button would disadvantage non Sky supporters.However presumably the Club is desperate for cash.How much money did they make off Sky on red button games ?
Legally I suppose Season Ticket holders should get a refund on the closed games;however there might be something in terms and conditions.Anyway how much would we get back ? £50 ?If it helps the Club,then I don’t mind chucking that into the pot.
Usually about now we start to get emails about renewing season tickets.That would be a different matter all together.I haven’t checked ,but didn’t we need one more win to be safe ?
The old season should be the pre season;we then get right into the new season.God knows how the Club raise cash;maybe a subscription link ?We are all hoping these scientists come up with a vaccine.But this side of Xmas looks unlikely.Its an absolute mess.A lot of Clubs will no doubt go bust.But we the fans are so reliant on football in this Country;that I am sure they will re-emerge -although any player below Prem level is likely to be on a much lower wage-maybe by as much as a quarter Of their old salary.
However the friends and relatives of the 40000 dead,couldn’t give an FCUK.

Well they haven’t managed a vaccine in the 50 plus years coronavirus has been around so I’m not holding my breath on there being a working one anytime soon for this latest strain.

I should imagine there will need to be at least a month gap between the end of the playoffs (presuming they’re still held) and the start of the next season as the various leagues will need to work out fixture lists and confirm which competitions will and won’t be cancelled. Therefore you’re probably looking at mid September for the earliest start of next season.

Of course the other issue will be the fans being allowed through the turnstiles again and what that revenue will mean to clubs being able to continue to operate over the course of a season. Personally think that if you can allow people into shops and restaurants then you can allow them to return to sporting events so it’s then just a question of what percentage is allowed for every 100 a ground can hold. Clubs at all levels will need to know if they can fully reopen or whether there will be restrictions ASAP (and the further away from the top of the PL they are the more reliant they will be on fans being allowed back).

Lastly I believe clubs want FIFA to keep the transfer window open throughout the season so as to maximise options on player movement. Being able to sell a player to another club or get them away on loan at any time could help keep lower clubs afloat. Wondering also whether FFP rules will be suspended (or at least given a lot more flexibility) until next summer to allow clubs time to get through it all.

If there hasn’t been a vaccine for other strains then what is the vaccine heavily promoted every year all about ?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 31 May 2020 16:54

Nameless
Sutekh
Westwood52 Don’t know about season ticket holders.I did think we could maybe we would get priority on a direct televised link to the game.But you can imagine the uproar.Plus we would suddenly become very popular with other fans breaking the regs and wanting to come round to watch.The red button would disadvantage non Sky supporters.However presumably the Club is desperate for cash.How much money did they make off Sky on red button games ?
Legally I suppose Season Ticket holders should get a refund on the closed games;however there might be something in terms and conditions.Anyway how much would we get back ? £50 ?If it helps the Club,then I don’t mind chucking that into the pot.
Usually about now we start to get emails about renewing season tickets.That would be a different matter all together.I haven’t checked ,but didn’t we need one more win to be safe ?
The old season should be the pre season;we then get right into the new season.God knows how the Club raise cash;maybe a subscription link ?We are all hoping these scientists come up with a vaccine.But this side of Xmas looks unlikely.Its an absolute mess.A lot of Clubs will no doubt go bust.But we the fans are so reliant on football in this Country;that I am sure they will re-emerge -although any player below Prem level is likely to be on a much lower wage-maybe by as much as a quarter Of their old salary.
However the friends and relatives of the 40000 dead,couldn’t give an FCUK.

Well they haven’t managed a vaccine in the 50 plus years coronavirus has been around so I’m not holding my breath on there being a working one anytime soon for this latest strain.

I should imagine there will need to be at least a month gap between the end of the playoffs (presuming they’re still held) and the start of the next season as the various leagues will need to work out fixture lists and confirm which competitions will and won’t be cancelled. Therefore you’re probably looking at mid September for the earliest start of next season.

Of course the other issue will be the fans being allowed through the turnstiles again and what that revenue will mean to clubs being able to continue to operate over the course of a season. Personally think that if you can allow people into shops and restaurants then you can allow them to return to sporting events so it’s then just a question of what percentage is allowed for every 100 a ground can hold. Clubs at all levels will need to know if they can fully reopen or whether there will be restrictions ASAP (and the further away from the top of the PL they are the more reliant they will be on fans being allowed back).

Lastly I believe clubs want FIFA to keep the transfer window open throughout the season so as to maximise options on player movement. Being able to sell a player to another club or get them away on loan at any time could help keep lower clubs afloat. Wondering also whether FFP rules will be suspended (or at least given a lot more flexibility) until next summer to allow clubs time to get through it all.

If there hasn’t been a vaccine for other strains then what is the vaccine heavily promoted every year all about ?

To help provide cover for various strains of flu viruses.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 31 May 2020 17:35

Sutekh
Nameless

To elaborate on that answer, flu viruses are from the family Orthomyxoviridae in the order Mononegavirales.
Corona viruses (including Covid-19) are from the family Coronaviridae in the order Nidovirales.

Despite them both having respiratory effects, they are not closely linked. No vaccines have yet been produced for any member of the Coronaviridae family, as far as I am aware, they have very high RNA recombination during reproduction, which means they mutate more often then other viruses, which (a) makes them more likely to jump species, and (b) makes them harder to vaccinate against.

I've heard they think that the vaccine currently being developed in Oxford for Covid-19 actually protects against the pneumonia that Covid-19 causes, rather than against Covid-19 itself.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 31 May 2020 21:11

So sounds like return will be 20th June

Aim is for all games to be screened on either sky or ifollow. No detail yet it who can access those games - be it free to all or subscribers only etc

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 31 May 2020 21:34

muirinho
Sutekh
Nameless

To elaborate on that answer, flu viruses are from the family Orthomyxoviridae in the order Mononegavirales.
Corona viruses (including Covid-19) are from the family Coronaviridae in the order Nidovirales.

Despite them both having respiratory effects, they are not closely linked. No vaccines have yet been produced for any member of the Coronaviridae family, as far as I am aware, they have very high RNA recombination during reproduction, which means they mutate more often then other viruses, which (a) makes them more likely to jump species, and (b) makes them harder to vaccinate against.

I've heard they think that the vaccine currently being developed in Oxford for Covid-19 actually protects against the pneumonia that Covid-19 causes, rather than against Covid-19 itself.

Well obviously..... !

Actually thanks for the clarification

So it really isn’t ‘just flu’ after all.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 01 Jun 2020 09:10

Teams that were out of form with something to play for may come into the mini season full of energy and hope that their opponents are now out of form/lacking match practice.

Teams with nothing to play for will, I assume, make the safety of their players/staff the only goal and minimise risk as much as possible.... probably not to the extent of just standing on the pitch and running away from the ball/staying 2m away from attackers at all times etc etc, but they may play the healthiest/fittest players and keep any old timers or youth team players out of the side.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 01 Jun 2020 10:32

Generally a bad effect for all players at all clubs in terms of match fitness obviously, the question is how much more/less has it affected our lot compared to others.

For some players (eg Ejaria) who were tiring, it will be a big plus. For others who were just getting into their swing (eg perhaps Puscas) might be more of a negative.

Factor in also the weather, the wage problem, the psych aspect of playing to less people, having been locked in etc etc.

Who knows!

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Jun 2020 11:31

2 world wars, 1 world cup Generally a bad effect for all players at all clubs in terms of match fitness obviously, the question is how much more/less has it affected our lot compared to others.

For some players (eg Ejaria) who were tiring, it will be a big plus. For others who were just getting into their swing (eg perhaps Puscas) might be more of a negative.

Factor in also the weather, the wage problem, the psych aspect of playing to less people, having been locked in etc etc.

Who knows!

Apparently Ejaria was basically crocked in our last game, and prob would have missed the rest of the season. Hopefully fully fit to go again now

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 01 Jun 2020 13:03

Hound
2 world wars, 1 world cup Generally a bad effect for all players at all clubs in terms of match fitness obviously, the question is how much more/less has it affected our lot compared to others.

Who knows!

Apparently Ejaria was basically crocked in our last game, and prob would have missed the rest of the season. Hopefully fully fit to go again now

Ah.

I smell conspiracy theories.

I was convinced 5G caused coronavirus, but now there's a much more sane theory: our Chinese owners have created all this to have Ejaria fit for the rest of the season.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 01 Jun 2020 13:05

2 world wars, 1 world cup
Hound

Who knows!

Ah.

I was convinced 5G caused coronavirus, but now there's a much more sane theory: our Chinese owners have created all this to have Ejaria fit for the rest of the season.

Also, shouldn't Joao be back fit for this re-start as well?

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 01 Jun 2020 13:19

Hendo
2 world wars, 1 world cup
Hound

Ah.

Also, shouldn't Joao be back fit for this re-start as well?

Plot thickens.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 01 Jun 2020 13:29

The season is very much alive - win the first 2 games and realistically only 4 points off top 8 and maybe 6 off top 6.

Anything less than 4 points and it will be just typical end of season dross.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 01 Jun 2020 14:23

Will we be allowed 5 subs to help manage the playing load? Or is that a rumour?

I think the break in routine and rhythm will have a negative affect on all teams; the teams who can adapt and reset quickest will do well.

I'm interested in what this means for 20/21. If we finish at the end of July, do we just see 2 weeks break and then go again?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 01 Jun 2020 14:30

WestYorksRoyal Will we be allowed 5 subs to help manage the playing load? Or is that a rumour?

I think the break in routine and rhythm will have a negative affect on all teams; the teams who can adapt and reset quickest will do well.

I'm interested in what this means for 20/21. If we finish at the end of July, do we just see 2 weeks break and then go again?

I believe 5 subs and match-day squads of 20 are going to be in place for the remainder of the season.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 01 Jun 2020 16:11

Not having to play in front of Reading fans has to be a boost to our chances

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Jun 2020 16:17

you'd certainly expect us to be more comfortable playing in front of zero fans or atmosphere unlike some of the oppo

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 01 Jun 2020 20:50

WestYorksRoyal Will we be allowed 5 subs to help manage the playing load? Or is that a rumour?

No. If PO final is around the end of July and cup final in early August, most likely date for 20/21 is either 12th or 19th September.

Would imagine no League Cup or FA replays and 3 or 4 more midweek games to try and make up time.

Unlikely to be any international breaks this year either.