Squad for 2020/21

1016 posts
Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Squad for 2020/21

by Notts Royal » 01 Jul 2020 10:16

2 things:

1) Do we trust these owners to sign the right type of players for this club? Do we trust them to not splash wages on overrated players from abroad who take an age to adjust? Because if we don’t (and I don’t for that matter), this whole conversation is pretty futile

2) Can I play the Brian McDermott card? A few people on here have mentioned that Bowen and previous managers have failed to adapt to the squad at their disposal. They stick to their own philosophy and way of playing even if it doesn’t fit the players already here. What we then see is a massive turnover of players & that’s bad for stability. Brian was able to adapt to the players around him. Played 4-2-3-1 the 1st season and then 4-4-2 when we went up. He didn’t sign loads of players. He got the best out of those already here and then signed players to compliment that. We need to adopt that philosophy again

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 01 Jul 2020 10:18

Notts Royal 2 things:

1) Do we trust these owners to sign the right type of players for this club? Do we trust them to not splash wages on overrated players from abroad who take an age to adjust? Because if we don’t (and I don’t for that matter), this whole conversation is pretty futile

2) Can I play the Brian McDermott card? A few people on here have mentioned that Bowen and previous managers have failed to adapt to the squad at their disposal. They stick to their own philosophy and way of playing even if it doesn’t fit the players already here. What we then see is a massive turnover of players & that’s bad for stability. Brian was able to adapt to the players around him. Played 4-2-3-1 the 1st season and then 4-4-2 when we went up. He didn’t sign loads of players. He got the best out of those already here and then signed players to compliment that. We need to adopt that philosophy again

I trust the owners but Howe needs to get a grip. Also as everyone seems to be going 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 - id like us to go different and back to 4-4-2 with proper wingers - getting at teams.

Said it in another thread - we now need to be raiding League 1 and 2 and getting the best players out of that division and joining us.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Jul 2020 10:22

Notts Royal 2 things:

I don't think two is true of anyone except Stam. Problem is we don't have a system that fits the squad because we don't sign players to a plan and so the squad isn't suited to a system. It's half suited to two or three different systems.

The only way you fix that is putting a single manager in charge of signing strategy for about two years to actually build their own squad for what they want. You can't do that in a window or two.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 01 Jul 2020 10:23

paultheroyal
Notts Royal 2 things:

I trust the owners but Howe needs to get a grip. Also as everyone seems to be going 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 - id like us to go different and back to 4-4-2 with proper wingers - getting at teams.

Said it in another thread - we now need to be raiding League 1 and 2 and getting the best players out of that division and joining us.

I don't trust Kia Joorbichan (sp) as far as I could through him though and I think he has the owners ear. He is in it for himself, always has been. Parasites like him shouldn't be involved in football.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 01 Jul 2020 10:46

Snowflake Royal
Notts Royal 2 things:

I don't think two is true of anyone except Stam. Problem is we don't have a system that fits the squad because we don't sign players to a plan and so the squad isn't suited to a system. It's half suited to two or three different systems.

The only way you fix that is putting a single manager in charge of signing strategy for about two years to actually build their own squad for what they want. You can't do that in a window or two.

Amen to that...it’s a gradual process over many windows. Which is why all the talk of a playoff push was madness. Got shot down for it previously but we’ve had several poor seasons...focus should be finishing lower midtable this season, then top 10, then top 6, then top 2.

Don’t know if anyone saw that brilliant article from Paul Risdale (EC Exeter manager) during lockdown but he was basically saying that the old-school way of managers doing the recruitment and the managing/coaching side can still work today. From the fallout of Corona we might see a move away from the Director of Football and a return to a broader job spec for the managers, to cut costs. I’d welcome that

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Jul 2020 11:33

Notts Royal
Snowflake Royal
Notts Royal 2 things:

Amen to that...it’s a gradual process over many windows. Which is why all the talk of a playoff push was madness. Got shot down for it previously but we’ve had several poor seasons...focus should be finishing lower midtable this season, then top 10, then top 6, then top 2.

Don’t know if anyone saw that brilliant article from Paul Risdale (EC Exeter manager) during lockdown but he was basically saying that the old-school way of managers doing the recruitment and the managing/coaching side can still work today. From the fallout of Corona we might see a move away from the Director of Football and a return to a broader job spec for the managers, to cut costs. I’d welcome that

Too many mega rich owners where the money is inconsequential and the club is a prestige toy not an operation. Sticking their oar in and getting involved with trading.

Getthebeerens

by Getthebeerens » 02 Jul 2020 08:21

After Tuesday’s performance it feels like another “Big Summer” in the transfer market is needed. How many times have we said this over the last few seasons ?

The first signing we should be making is a Director of Football who can work with the manager and start building a long term transfer strategy that fits with a long term style of play. None of these square pegs in round hole signings. As a club we should be investing in our own youth academy while also buying younger players further down the leagues or players no longer required from the Premier League make them better and sell them on then reinvest. Basically players who are hungry and have a point to prove in football and under the age of 24.

So lets have a look at our squad and how it may look once the loans expire and contracts expire. In my opinion we shouldn’t renew any of these players contracts they have all at some point contributed to recent failings. The only player I would consider renewing is Jordan Obita.

Goalkeepers
Raphael - STARTING 11
Sam Walker - Should be sold to allow a pathway for the Academy GK’s - SELL
Luke Southwood - Promote to backup GK - SQUAD PLAYER

Not too many issues in this department but I do think we need to give youth a chance to come through and Sam Walker is blocking that path.

Defenders
Andy Yiadom - First Choice Right Back - STARTING 11
Omar Richards - Deserves a crack at being First Choice - STARTING 11
Liam Moore - Really isn’t giving us value for money currently - SELL
Michael Morrison - First Choice Centre Back - STARTING 11
Tom McIntrye - Backup CB
Tom Holmes - Backup CB

We certainly will need to invest in cover at Right Back and Centre Back and also for a first choice Left Back to compete with Omar Richards.

Midfielders
Swift - Good Player but inconsistent, I think it’s now time to cash in - SELL
Olise - First Choice Player - The future of the club we should be looking to build the midfielder around him to get the best out of him - STARTING 11

Rinhomota - First Choice Player - With a real engine on him, if others matched his work rate we would be in a much better place - STARTING 11

Ejaria - First Choice Player - Needs more coaching but certainly a rough Diamond of a player - STARTING 11
Mo Barrow -Doesn’t want to be here - SELL
Arrauna - Not seen enough of him looks good on the ball with good work rate but really lacking physically for the championship. - SQUAD PLAYER
Aluko - SELL

No out and out wingers in the current squad and not enough defensive minded midfielders either. Certainly would need 2 x Wingers and a more defensive minded central midfielder who can shield the defence.

Forwards

Sam Baldock - Don’t think we would be able to sell him but is good enough to be a plan B option with a target man to work off - SQUAD PLAYER

Sam Smith - Not good enough for this level - SELL

Marc McNulty - Not good enough for this level - SELL

Yakou Meite - Certainly gets his goals and has been great defensively - STARTING 11

Lucas Joao - First Choice Striker & our main target man - STARTING 11

George Puscas - I like Puscas but unless we change our shape we would be better off cashing in on him - SELL

The lack of target man has proved costly for us, so we should be looking to at least get a backup target man if Joao continues to get injured.

I don’t think we need too many star signings but what we seem to be missing is the players in midfield to complement the flair players we already have. Despite the poor result and performance when we play our strongest 11 we don’t look to bad and have got some decent results but when injuries hit this is when we seem to go of the boil.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Jul 2020 08:56

Didnt realise how many other players I'd forgot to move on; McNulty, Smith, Watson, Barrow....

Could genuinely lose 20+ players this summer. There should be some huge wage savings made this summer. I'd honestly not worry too much about transfer fees, other than for Swift and to a lesser extent Moore, and just lose the rest if possible

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 02 Jul 2020 10:26

Hound Didnt realise how many other players I'd forgot to move on; McNulty, Smith, Watson, Barrow....

Could genuinely lose 20+ players this summer. There should be some huge wage savings made this summer. I'd honestly not worry too much about transfer fees, other than for Swift and to a lesser extent Moore, and just lose the rest if possible

Issue is who will buy and, more importantly, at what price. Any deals made will obviously free up wages but those deals may need to also cover some of the ill conceived arrangements made in bringing the player concerned to Reading in the first place (eg it may have been agreed to pay the players former club x each season for 2 or 3 seasons or there maybe sell on clauses etc.) therefore it wouldn’t necessarily be the end of the associated financial issues if a player was sold.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 02 Jul 2020 11:13

Just seen Chey Dunkley is on a free at Wigan and with there troubles would be a good shout to give the CB cover. broke his leg in February but would be ready for next season from what I gather. he has always seemed like a 1 man wall before the injury and the one player I would have had out of there squad when we played them other than Morsy.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 02 Jul 2020 15:42

Will Thierry Nevers be ready to play a few games on our left flank next season? Calling Academy watchers to the thread.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 02 Jul 2020 16:57

NewCorkSeth Will Thierry Nevers be ready to play a few games on our left flank next season? Calling Academy watchers to the thread.

Seen him several times and he looks very promising. Think he will get a chance next season and he is still only just 18 so plenty of potential. Scores some good goals too.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 05 Jul 2020 18:01

Puscas apparently with the highest scoring debut season for us since Noel Hunt, with a few games left, yet is apparently worth shipping out to some.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Jul 2020 18:22

NewCorkSeth Puscas apparently with the highest scoring debut season for us since Noel Hunt, with a few games left, yet is apparently worth shipping out to some.

His scoring record is decent but he spends a lot of games contributing very little and hasn't particularly suited playing solo up front.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 05 Jul 2020 19:37

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth Puscas apparently with the highest scoring debut season for us since Noel Hunt, with a few games left, yet is apparently worth shipping out to some.

His scoring record is decent but he spends a lot of games contributing very little and hasn't particularly suited playing solo up front.

Yes. Well. Scoring is what this team needs. Between himself, Meite and Joao we should have enough about us next season.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 05 Jul 2020 20:25

He is, purely for financial reasons and the fact we are already top heavy. In an ideal world he would stay another season before moving on but if we get a decent enough offer he will be gone imo.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Jul 2020 21:14

He’s a weird one Puscas. He’s gone from looking dangerous but missing loads of chances to not looking great but being pretty clinical

There’s definitely a decent player in there. I’d like him to stay really but if we could sell at a profit then that’s tempting as well

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 05 Jul 2020 21:18

I’d like to see Puscas stay. We have to use him better though. Same goes for the squad. There is more than enough talent in this squad to have done a lot better than 14th in the table. Bowen needs to get the formation and style of play right. If he does then we can do well at this level.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 05 Jul 2020 21:32

Zip I’d like to see Puscas stay. We have to use him better though. Same goes for the squad. There is more than enough talent in this squad to have done a lot better than 14th in the table. Bowen needs to get the formation and style of play right. If he does then we can do well at this level.

Really think 3-5-2 is the way we should start games with Meite and Puscas up top together.

For next season:

Rafael

McIntyre
Morrison
NEW CB

Yiadom (RWB)
Richards (LWB)

Rinhomota
Ejaria
Olise/John Swift replacement

Puscas
Meite

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 05 Jul 2020 21:43

Old Man Andrews
Zip I’d like to see Puscas stay. We have to use him better though. Same goes for the squad. There is more than enough talent in this squad to have done a lot better than 14th in the table. Bowen needs to get the formation and style of play right. If he does then we can do well at this level.

Really think 3-5-2 is the way we should start games with Meite and Puscas up top together.

For next season:

Rafael

McIntyre
Morrison
NEW CB

Yiadom (RWB)
Richards (LWB)

Rinhomota
Ejaria
Olise/John Swift replacement

Puscas
Meite

I’d want a CDM in there. If we don’t have Pele then someone like him. He made a big difference yesterday. It is a problem because I would like 2 up top,

1016 posts