Squad for 2020/21

1016 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Squad for 2020/21

by Hound » 07 Jul 2020 11:36

I'd say its probably a good opportunity for a club to sign Moore now if they have been following him. They know the financial situation, they know we need to cut the wage bill, and now it seems he isnt necessarily crucial to Bowen's plans.

I reckon we'd take 3m

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 07 Jul 2020 11:37

Hound I'd say its probably a good opportunity for a club to sign Moore now if they have been following him. They know the financial situation, they know we need to cut the wage bill, and now it seems he isnt necessarily crucial to Bowen's plans.

I reckon we'd take 3m

I’m not sure anyone knows the current financial situation !

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 07 Jul 2020 11:44

I think £3 million is top end for Moore. Is a PL club really going to come in for him now? Personally I don’t think so.
How many Championship clubs could pay north of £3 million in the current climate and pay his hefty wages?

Barrow is a strange one. I didn’t want him to leave last summer but he seemed to want to go. His track record suggests he doesn’t settle anywhere very long.He will also be on big wages.

On the plus side he and Meite were close, we are short of wingers, he did well for us and we won’t get much money for him as he has only one year on his contract.
On balance if he wants to return then let’s keep him.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Jul 2020 11:50

Zip I think £3 million is top end for Moore. Is a PL club really going to come in for him now? Personally I don’t think so.
How many Championship clubs could pay north of £3 million in the current climate and pay his hefty wages?

Barrow is a strange one. I didn’t want him to leave last summer but he seemed to want to go. His track record suggests he doesn’t settle anywhere very long.He will also be on big wages.

On the plus side he and Meite were close, we are short of wingers, he did well for us and we won’t get much money for him as he has only one year on his contract.

yeah similar with Barrow. Worst case is I suspect we can prob loan him somewhere without us paying any of his wages. He is good enough that we shouldn't have to subsidise them like we did with clowns like Mannone and Popa

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 07 Jul 2020 11:55

Hound
Zip I think £3 million is top end for Moore. Is a PL club really going to come in for him now? Personally I don’t think so.

yeah similar with Barrow. Worst case is I suspect we can prob loan him somewhere without us paying any of his wages. He is good enough that we shouldn't have to subsidise them like we did with clowns like Mannone and Popa

Popa was an appalling signing. I didn’t see Mannone in the same way. I thought he was ok for us and was hammered for that Derby goal in August 18.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 07 Jul 2020 12:09

This may be an unpopular opinion but for me Barrow is a better player than Ejaria, albeit a very different one, and also complements our other players better. His directness suits Meite and Swift in different ways.

Ovie might well have a better career in the long run and clearly has talent, but he hasn’t shown the same end product as Barrow yet.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 07 Jul 2020 12:18

SCIAG This may be an unpopular opinion but for me Barrow is a better player than Ejaria, albeit a very different one, and also complements our other players better. His directness suits Meite and Swift in different ways.

Ovie might well have a better career in the long run and clearly has talent, but he hasn’t shown the same end product as Barrow yet.

Ejaria has created some great goals with his passing ( as mentioned by Yakou). He plays passes Barrow can only dream of.
What he needs to do is get better at knowing when to pass and when tobeat the 4th defender.
Barrow has the advantage of being pretty much a one trick pony, He knows he is faster than any defender and he knows his trademark spin is very hard to counter.
As you say, different players but Barrow is not go8ng toget technically better and willlosehis pace whereas Ejaria has all the attributes needed as long as he learns how and when to use them.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Jul 2020 12:39

Nameless
Hound I'd say its probably a good opportunity for a club to sign Moore now if they have been following him. They know the financial situation, they know we need to cut the wage bill, and now it seems he isnt necessarily crucial to Bowen's plans.

I reckon we'd take 3m

If he's really on £35k a week we should probably take offers of 10p and up.

We know the financial situation is bad. It doesn't matter how much money the owners have, you can't continue to have a wage bill at 200%+ of income and a consistent lack of success

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 07 Jul 2020 12:45

Snowflake Royal
Nameless

I reckon we'd take 3m

We know the financial situation is bad. It doesn't matter how much money the owners have, you can't continue to have a wage bill at 200%+ of income and a consistent lack of success

There are multiple views on the financial situation, people confusing where we are with regards to FFP versus whether we are going into adm8nistration etc etc.
The wage bill is a short term thing, we’re losing some big wages already this summer.
If we get clarity on FFP and what the share issue means th8ngs might look very different.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Jul 2020 12:51

Nameless
Snowflake Royal
Nameless

There are multiple views on the financial situation, people confusing where we are with regards to FFP versus whether we are going into adm8nistration etc etc.
The wage bill is a short term thing, we’re losing some big wages already this summer.
If we get clarity on FFP and what the share issue means th8ngs might look very different.

I don't agree the wage bill is a short term thing. It's been a problem for about 7 years now and this is the worst it's been. The current oocs won't solve it, they'll just bring it back to previously excessive levels (hopefully)

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 07 Jul 2020 13:08

If Moore is really on £35k a week then we deserve all we get. This is Reading FC. Madness.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Jul 2020 13:10

Zip If Moore is really on £35k a week then we deserve all we get. This is Reading FC. Madness.

I would say that is accurate based upon the owners thoughts. Seeing Moore as a lucky charm for the club etc.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 07 Jul 2020 13:15

Snowflake Royal
Nameless
Snowflake Royal If he's really on £35k a week we should probably take offers of 10p and up.

I don't agree the wage bill is a short term thing. It's been a problem for about 7 years now and this is the worst it's been. The current oocs won't solve it, they'll just bring it back to previously excessive levels (hopefully)

Let's count off who we are shifting: Mannone, Gunter, McCleary, Blackett, Popa, Obita and Adam.

Mannone was reportedly the top earner when we signed him (might not be true but we can assume he had a good contract), Gunter, McCleary and Obita must be on decent wages given how long they have been in the squad, unsure on Blackett and Adam but I recall someone saying Popa wouldn't leave because he was earning so much. Conservatively those few leaving is 100k a week off our wage bill. Thats a lot of skrilla.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Jul 2020 13:21

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal
Nameless

Let's count off who we are shifting: Mannone, Gunter, McCleary, Blackett, Popa, Obita and Adam.

Mannone was reportedly the top earner when we signed him (might not be true but we can assume he had a good contract), Gunter, McCleary and Obita must be on decent wages given how long they have been in the squad, unsure on Blackett and Adam but I recall someone saying Popa wouldn't leave because he was earning so much. Conservatively those few leaving is 100k a week off our wage bill. Thats a lot of skrilla.

Heard it every year for all those years. X is leaving, that will solve the problem. Never does, so forgive my cynicism.

We'll probably sign Shevchenko's third cousin twice removed and pay him £6m a week to replace Popa anyway.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 07 Jul 2020 13:52

I like Morrison a LOT, but always remember players of 32-plus can suddenly lose it, are more prone to injury,
take longer to recover etc.

McShane, for example, solid, even good, then suddenly "gone"...

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 07 Jul 2020 14:00

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal I don't agree the wage bill is a short term thing. It's been a problem for about 7 years now and this is the worst it's been. The current oocs won't solve it, they'll just bring it back to previously excessive levels (hopefully)

Heard it every year for all those years. X is leaving, that will solve the problem. Never does, so forgive my cynicism.

We'll probably sign Shevchenko's third cousin twice removed and pay him £6m a week to replace Popa anyway.

Oh I agree its a problem, one we have had for far too long, but lets not pretend we have had this much wage budget clear up just by releasing players at the end of their contracts before.

I agree we tend to waste these opportunities. A side effect of our manager chop and change or that agent who appears to have far too much power. Anyway, all that to say I think we will find those few players plus Aluko, Moore and Swift are the majority of our wages. If we sell those 2 and pay Aluko to leave, promote from current first team (McIntyre for Moore/Olise for Swift) we should have enough in the kitty to sign a few cheaper punts without plunging us back to 200% of our income spent on wages..

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 07 Jul 2020 14:08

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal
Nameless

£5m off the wage bill would bring us down to a healthy 200% of last seasons income

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Jul 2020 14:11

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth Let's count off who we are shifting: Mannone, Gunter, McCleary, Blackett, Popa, Obita and Adam.

Oh I agree its a problem, one we have had for far too long, but lets not pretend we have had this much wage budget clear up just by releasing players at the end of their contracts before.

I agree we tend to waste these opportunities. A side effect of our manager chop and change or that agent who appears to have far too much power. Anyway, all that to say I think we will find those few players plus Aluko, Moore and Swift are the majority of our wages. If we sell those 2 and pay Aluko to leave, promote from current first team (McIntyre for Moore/Olise for Swift) we should have enough in the kitty to sign a few cheaper punts without plunging us back to 200% of our income spent on wages..

yeah agreed. Pretty much consensus that Popa, McCLeary, Gunter, Moore, Swift, Aluko and Mannone were/are all on sky high wages, with Obita and Loader probably not too far behind.

Then once you have big clear out of the U23 and various fringe players like Smith, there'll be huge savings

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 07 Jul 2020 14:14

Simon's Church
NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal I don't agree the wage bill is a short term thing. It's been a problem for about 7 years now and this is the worst it's been. The current oocs won't solve it, they'll just bring it back to previously excessive levels (hopefully)

£5m off the wage bill would bring us down to a healthy 200% of last seasons income

I presume there is a lot of bonuses and such included in their contracts? Signing on fees, agent fees, appearance fees etc? I did say conservatively

Edit: Sorry do we spend 800k a week on wages? How does that work? What have we got, like, 50 players on full time contracts? meaning an average of 16k a week? The names I mentioned above must be on much more then I first assumed.

Edit No. 2: This was my 7500th post. I hope you are all proud of me. 7500 posts and all of them gold.
Last edited by NewCorkSeth on 07 Jul 2020 14:29, edited 1 time in total.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 07 Jul 2020 14:24

The wage issue clearly is a short term issue. Whether it has been going on for several years really isn’t the point.
It’s about players on contracts of 1 or 2 years duration.
Once their contract is up then the wages disappear.
Unless we chose to give them a new contract on better terms or sign players on the same terms.
It is utterly different to having huge debts racking up interest faster than they can be repaid or not paying HMRC or picking the wrong time to build an expensive new ground.
Of course we can actively chose to make it a longer term problem, which is what we have done. However that doesn’t alter the fact that the very nature of player contracts means there is a finite and pretty short term end date to the club”s wage commitments.
Replacing Moore with McIntyre, Gunter with Osho, Swift with Olise for example sees the wages drop dramatically without a huge drop.playing standards.

1016 posts