Squad for 2020/21

1016 posts
Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Squad for 2020/21

by Hendo » 24 Jul 2020 11:04

Wycombe Royal
SCIAG Swift is the best creative midfielder in the league

Thanks, I now have a tea splattered keyboard.

Only 3 players have more assists than him this season?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 24 Jul 2020 11:09

I'm all for a salary cap but they can't just introduce one out of the blue in 2 months. It's going to be impossible for us and other teams to save over £20m in wages in such a short time, especially the Premier League teams coming down.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 24 Jul 2020 11:12

genome I'm all for a salary cap but they can't just introduce one out of the blue in 2 months. It's going to be impossible for us and other teams to save over £20m in wages in such a short time, especially the Premier League teams coming down.

Yeah, I'd expect it to be introduced over the next few years. You can't just go from one to the other without some transition period.

That or all the contacts will get negotiated down with players having big signing bonuses which will cover the difference.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 24 Jul 2020 11:18

Hendo
Wycombe Royal
SCIAG Swift is the best creative midfielder in the league

Thanks, I now have a tea splattered keyboard.

Well if that is how you are measuring creativity then there are 3 more creative than him........and then if you look at how many minutes have been played he falls even further down the list, if you also then includes goals scored he falls even further.......

He may be one of the most creative in the league, but the MOST creative he is not.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 24 Jul 2020 11:19

Hendo
genome I'm all for a salary cap but they can't just introduce one out of the blue in 2 months. It's going to be impossible for us and other teams to save over £20m in wages in such a short time, especially the Premier League teams coming down.

Yeah, I'd expect it to be introduced over the next few years. You can't just go from one to the other without some transition period.

That or all the contacts will get negotiated down with players having big signing bonuses which will cover the difference.

I'm pretty sure signing on bonuses would be covered under the cap, otherwise a cap is pointless.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 24 Jul 2020 11:20

Wycombe Royal
Hendo
Wycombe Royal Thanks, I now have a tea splattered keyboard.

Well if that is how you are measuring creativity then there are 3 more creative than him........and then if you look at how many minutes have been played he falls even further down the list, if you also then includes goals scored he falls even further.......

He may be one of the most creative in the league, but the MOST creative he is not.

Tbh, I thought he said he is one of the most creative players in the league, not the most.

But 10 assists and 6 goals is still a decent return for a creative midfielder in a team that has been a bit of a shambles this season.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 24 Jul 2020 11:22

Thats what i said on twitter. Has to be gradual or it will force teams to sell at ludicrous prices.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 24 Jul 2020 11:49

Hendo But 10 assists and 6 goals is still a decent return for a creative midfielder in a team that has been a bit of a shambles this season.

Not going to disagree with that.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 24 Jul 2020 12:20

NewCorkSeth

Thats what i said on twitter. Has to be gradual or it will force teams to sell at ludicrous prices.

Needs to include something that doesn't give relegated sides a further advantage as well. Most PL clubs coming down will be paying wages far in excess of 18m, so unless there is something in place to bring them into line quite quickly, you may just see the same small group of clubs bouncing between the divisions as they keep players who Champ sides can't afford and may well be better than them (though not good enough for the PL).

Maybe for every player the leaves they can only pay X% of their wages to their replacement say 50% - so a player who leaves on 40k can only be replaced by a player earning 20% but the cap must be met by the end of their second season in the Champ - or something like that at least.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 24 Jul 2020 12:37

Stranded
NewCorkSeth

Needs to include something that doesn't give relegated sides a further advantage as well. Most PL clubs coming down will be paying wages far in excess of 18m, so unless there is something in place to bring them into line quite quickly, you may just see the same small group of clubs bouncing between the divisions as they keep players who Champ sides can't afford and may well be better than them (though not good enough for the PL).

Maybe for every player the leaves they can only pay X% of their wages to their replacement say 50% - so a player who leaves on 40k can only be replaced by a player earning 20% but the cap must be met by the end of their second season in the Champ - or something like that at least.

Maximum wage in the match day squad? Homegrown talent under 21 to not be included in wage caps?

There is plenty of things to think about.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 24 Jul 2020 14:25

Stranded
NewCorkSeth

Well I would say that any club promoted from the Championship should really put clauses into players contracts so that wages are reduced on relegation then they would have less of a gap to make up and could therefore be forced in comply after one season back in the Championship. If clubs failed to do that, and therefore couldn’t comply after one season, then the FL could rightfully “sling the book” at the club concerned in fines and/or point deductions.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 24 Jul 2020 14:27

Sutekh
Stranded
NewCorkSeth Thats what i said on twitter. Has to be gradual or it will force teams to sell at ludicrous prices.

Well I would say that any club promoted from the Championship should really put clauses into players contracts so that wages are reduced on relegation then they would have less of a gap to make up and could therefore be forced in comply after one season back in the Championship. If clubs failed to do that, and therefore couldn’t comply after one season, then the FL could rightfully “sling the book” at the club concerned in fines and/or point deductions.

I agree for all new contracts, that should be the expectation and it may well be the way it is done - would need to be a halfway house though for clubs promoted ahead of the change but that is manageable.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 24 Jul 2020 14:37

Wycombe Royal
Hendo
Wycombe Royal Thanks, I now have a tea splattered keyboard.

The players above him are wingers rather than central midfielders. His nearest competition from a central midfielder is Alex Mowatt and Barry Bannan, who have played more minutes and also scored fewer goals (in fact he’s scored more than both of them put together). The rankings are the same for key passes - passes leading to a shot - so it’s not just that he has some great strikers ahead of him.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 24 Jul 2020 15:27

SCIAG
Wycombe Royal
Hendo

The players above him are wingers rather than central midfielders. His nearest competition from a central midfielder is Alex Mowatt and Barry Bannan, who have played more minutes and also scored fewer goals (in fact he’s scored more than both of them put together). The rankings are the same for key passes - passes leading to a shot - so it’s not just that he has some great strikers ahead of him.

You just said "midfielder", and wingers are wide midfielders. If you meant central midfielder then it might have been worth saying that....and I still don't believe he is the best creative CENTRAL midfielder, but he is one of the best.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Jul 2020 15:39

Slightly surprised the released players havent been officially announced yet

Season restarting 12th Sept - so 2 weeks off and pre-season starting about 10th August?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 24 Jul 2020 15:42

Hound Slightly surprised the released players havent been officially announced yet

Season restarting 12th Sept - so 2 weeks off and pre-season starting about 10th August?

They might be waiting until everyone is confirmed I guess, rather than saying:

These players are leaving, these players are staying and these players might leave but they might also stay as they haven't signed contracts yet.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Jul 2020 15:47

Hendo
Hound Slightly surprised the released players havent been officially announced yet

They might be waiting until everyone is confirmed I guess, rather than saying:

These players are leaving, these players are staying and these players might leave but they might also stay as they haven't signed contracts yet.

yes assuming that. maybe want to sort the ejaria situation out as well. Normally get some sort of leaks by now though

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 24 Jul 2020 17:56

Josh Laurent is on his way in according to the omnipotent J-Low.

Money for his wages eh?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 24 Jul 2020 17:59

NewCorkSeth Josh Laurent is on his way in according to the omnipotent J-Low.

Money for his wages eh?

Which are probably about 5k a week. Peanuts in the modern climate.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 24 Jul 2020 18:04

Old Man Andrews
NewCorkSeth Josh Laurent is on his way in according to the omnipotent J-Low.

Money for his wages eh?

Which are probably about 5k a week. Peanuts in the modern climate.

Pfft. Doubt we fought off Stoke with 5k a week.

1016 posts