BFI Player

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFI Player

by Zip » 28 Jun 2020 09:33

Hound
paddy20
windermereROYAL
Would say so, just a case of playing out the season now. and get the few points we need to be safe.

Is no one worried about relegation?? If Huddersfield win their game in hand we are 4 its off relegation with 7 games to go!

No we aren’t!

I think Paddy needs to review the League table!

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 28 Jun 2020 09:37

Agree about the Swift/Ejaria/Olise combo not quite working. The whole style of play and formation just isn’t clicking. We have rarely got it right for a number of years.
Traditionally the best Reading sides have always played with quality wingers. It’s is an obvious weakness in this squad and needs to be remedied this summer.

We also need a midfielder that does the ugly part of the game well. Someone that works their nuts off and puts a bit of steel into what to me looks like a soft side.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 28 Jun 2020 09:53

Bowen has now picked Richards at LB for both games after the lockdown...does that now show he rates him as 1st choice going forward? Another competent performance yesterday from him, really has grown as a player this season

Would like to see Obita given a contract as he’s a good versatile option, but Richards clearly no.1 LB option for me

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 28 Jun 2020 09:59

Notts Royal Bowen has now picked Richards at LB for both games after the lockdown...does that now show he rates him as 1st choice going forward? Another competent performance yesterday from him, really has grown as a player this season

Would like to see Obita given a contract as he’s a good versatile option, but Richards clearly no.1 LB option for me

Richards seem to be becoming a more reliable player. I’ve always felt he was a bit defensively naive. He does need to stay fit as he has always been fragile in the past. Would definitely give Obita a one year deal.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Jun 2020 10:44

As usual we're lacking the right blend.

We've got one player who can lead the attack and he's usually injured.

Ejaria has taken on Swift's role if being the most talented player in the squad but squandering the ability in over flashy and complicated play. We've had some huge talents in the past, and the thing they did consistently was create space then deliver. Little, Kebe, McAnuff, Sigurdsson... Ejaria's the guy in FM who "likes to beat players repeatedly". There's lots of entertainment and lots of nearly, but nearly ain't good enough. Swift's twice the player now that's been knocked out of him. We need the same with Ovie and we can't afford to wait two years to get it.

Olise, whilst clearly much less technically gifted than Ovie is nearer being there. Bit of space, cross. Chance to pull the trigger, does it. You never see him trying to tiptoe through 3 defenders in a crowded box. He rarely slows the game to standing pace, he ups the tempo.

Feel Bowen misused Rino first half too (and has in the past as well) He wasn't much involved because he seemed to be asked to sit and screen the defence. That's not his strength. His strength is bossing midfield, getting stuck in all over, closing down, getting a foot in, winning loose balls and driving forward. He can't do that stood 10 feet in front of Moore and Miazga.

If we want someone to sit that's Pele. Or Adam. Even Swift as deep playmaker, not Rino. His game is high tempo energy.

We have got to build to a single strategy with an easy to switch to back up plan. Constantly we sign players without a view to the whole and end up with a squad half right for one thing and half right to another. We're crowbarring square pegs into round holes. Too many of one type of player, not enough of others.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 28 Jun 2020 10:56

Snowflake Royal As usual we're lacking the right blend.

Ejaria has taken on Swift's role if being the most talented player in the squad but squandering the ability in over flashy and complicated play. We've had some huge talents in the past, and the thing they did consistently was create space then deliver. Little, Kebe, McAnuff, Sigurdsson... Ejaria's the guy in FM who "likes to beat players repeatedly". There's lots of entertainment and lots of nearly, but nearly ain't good enough. Swift's twice the player now that's been knocked out of him. We need the same with Ovie and we can't afford to wait two years to get it.

Olise, whilst clearly much less technically gifted than Ovie is nearer being there. Bit of space, cross. Chance to pull the trigger, does it. You never see him trying to tiptoe through 3 defenders in a crowded box. He rarely slows the game to standing pace, he ups the tempo.

Feel Bowen misused Rino first half too (and has in the past as well) He wasn't much involved because he seemed to be asked to sit and screen the defence. That's not his strength. His strength is bossing midfield, getting stuck in all over, closing down, getting a foot in, winning loose balls and driving forward. He can't do that stood 10 feet in front of Moore and Miazga.

If we want someone to sit that's Pele. Or Adam. Even Swift as deep playmaker, not Rino. His game is high tempo energy.

We have got to build to a single strategy with an easy to switch to back up plan. Constantly we sign players without a view to the whole and end up with a squad half right for one thing and half right to another. We're crowbarring square pegs into round holes. Too many of one type of player, not enough of others.

Exactly. Certainly in away games, a holding midfielder and Rino, with probably Swift further up the field would be a good blend. Rino is a box to box player.

The more I think about it, I wouldn’t sign Ovie. As you say, Olise is closer to being there already and is years younger. We don’t need 3 very good technical players (Ovie, Olise & Swift) in the same team at once - 2 would be more balanced and allow us to play at a higher tempo.

Efforts should be focused on signing an experienced holding midfielder, which will release Rino & Swift to play higher up the pitch

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 28 Jun 2020 11:02

Agree with most of this although I don’t want to see Swift in a deep playmaker role. I don’t think we get the best out of him. We need to be much quicker at getting the ball into the box but we also need our strikers busting a gut to get into the penalty area which didn’t happen yesterday.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Jun 2020 11:04

Zip

Agree with most of this although I don’t want to see Swift in a deep playmaker role. I don’t think we get the best out of him. We need to be much quicker at getting the ball into the box but we also need our strikers busting a gut to get into the penalty area which didn’t happen yesterday.

Oh, I'd certainly not be putting him there as a preference.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 28 Jun 2020 13:32

I am still fully erect at the image of Miazgas thuggery. That is all.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 28 Jun 2020 19:04

WTF Puscas!. I think it is sloooooooooooowly sinking in, hapless and hopeless, is Snowballs still bigging him up?.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 29 Jun 2020 11:36

Snowflake Royal Ejaria's the guy in FM who "likes to beat players repeatedly". There's lots of entertainment and lots of nearly, but nearly ain't good enough.

That attribute almost got us goals on two occasions as he embarrassed the defender by just walking past him at the byline. It's exhilarating to watch a player like that, in a tight space like in the penalty area try to take on a man and way more often than should be the case just go through the defence like a hot knife through butter. I'd be absolutely shitting my pants if I was a defender trying to keep Ejaria away in the penalty area. The one player who you can guarantee will create something out of nothing at least once in a game.

But you're absolutely right, it's one thing doing it at the byline or in the penalty area, it's something else completely trying to do it in the middle of the pitch somewhere for no reason when there are options around him to pass and run!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Jun 2020 11:51

2 world wars, 1 world cup
Snowflake Royal Ejaria's the guy in FM who "likes to beat players repeatedly". There's lots of entertainment and lots of nearly, but nearly ain't good enough.

That attribute almost got us goals on two occasions as he embarrassed the defender by just walking past him at the byline. It's exhilarating to watch a player like that, in a tight space like in the penalty area try to take on a man and way more often than should be the case just go through the defence like a hot knife through butter. I'd be absolutely shitting my pants if I was a defender trying to keep Ejaria away in the penalty area. The one player who you can guarantee will create something out of nothing at least once in a game.

But you're absolutely right, it's one thing doing it at the byline or in the penalty area, it's something else completely trying to do it in the middle of the pitch somewhere for no reason when there are options around him to pass and run!

He does a hell of a lot of almost getting us goals, that's for sure.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 29 Jun 2020 15:04

Zip Agree about the Swift/Ejaria/Olise combo not quite working. The whole style of play and formation just isn’t clicking. We have rarely got it right for a number of years.
Traditionally the best Reading sides have always played with quality wingers. It’s is an obvious weakness in this squad and needs to be remedied this summer.

Wingers would be a waste of time and money when we so rarely get players into the box in support and lack strikers who know how to get across and in front of defenders to meet crosses. Oh for a Trevor Senior, Jimmy Quinn or Trevor Morley!

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 29 Jun 2020 17:08

Zip
Hound
paddy20
Is no one worried about relegation?? If Huddersfield win their game in hand we are 4 its off relegation with 7 games to go!

No we aren’t!

I think Paddy needs to review the League table!

Tbf to Paddy it's not his fault. Its the fault of Ejaria.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 29 Jun 2020 21:33

Seven points off the drop zone, sure that doesn't sound great, if we were fourth from bottom I would be a little worried but with six teams between us and the drop zone surely we would need some incredible results from a raft of clubs to drop into the relegation zone :?:

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 29 Jun 2020 22:21

2 world wars, 1 world cup

He reminds me of Robben in his prime. He used to effortlessly beat people on the byline but just rarely passed the ball. 8 z

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 29 Jun 2020 22:21

SouthDownsRoyal Seven points off the drop zone, sure that doesn't sound great, if we were fourth from bottom I would be a little worried but with six teams between us and the drop zone surely we would need some incredible results from a raft of clubs to drop into the relegation zone :?:

We won't go down.

Luton, Huddersfield and Barnsley. Although Luton now seem to have a turn In form Jones is back. Huddersfield are just a dreadful club I would love to see go down.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 29 Jun 2020 22:24

Why the ‘Uddersfield hate?

I would not want to be a stoke or hull fan right now. Think those above will be fine.

Can see Barnsley and/or Luton getting out of it

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 29 Jun 2020 22:43

SouthDownsRoyal Why the ‘Uddersfield hate?

I would not want to be a stoke or hull fan right now. Think those above will be fine.

Can see Barnsley and/or Luton getting out of it

Shrug. Just do.