Would this ex-players team get promoted?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Would this ex-players team get promoted?

by AthleticoSpizz » 07 Jul 2020 18:06

Praise indeed.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 07 Jul 2020 19:14

Shaka wasn't exactly a slouch at distributing the ball, his biggest problem was crosses.

Marcus was hit and miss at times but he was probably the best keeper in the league at distribution at the time.

They were asked to play it differently than Martinez but imo they weren't so far behind him in that aspect that he would go ahead of them for our best goalkeeper ever. Especially given what they achieved with the club.

The only keeper, out of the established players we've had in that position that I would say we've had that was a very good shot stopper but wasn't good at distribution was McCarthy.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 08 Jul 2020 16:25

Snowflake Royal That's a pretty good post explaining your view.
+1 although I do wonder if someone has hacked his account or maybe he's drunk.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 08 Jul 2020 16:42

Forbury Lion
Snowflake Royal That's a pretty good post explaining your view.
+1 although I do wonder if someone has hacked his account or maybe he's drunk.

Definitely booze

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 09 Jul 2020 01:17

South Coast Royal
Old Man Andrews
NewCorkSeth You are sick in the head if you think McCarthy starts ahead of Emi.

He is sick in the head anyway.

Martinez is probably the best goalkeeper who has ever worn a Reading shirt. He's showing his class at Arsenal, he's top drawer.

A matter of opinion of course but really "best goalkeeper ever"?
I think the current keeper is as good as him.
Did you never see Steve Death, Marcus or Shaka?

Not sure why you needed to put "sick in the head"-is it because in your own befuddled head you think that every posting of the inane thousands that you make has to be rude or insulting?

Saddo and general thread-ruiner OMA.

Rafael as good as emi? :lol: have a word.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 09 Jul 2020 07:56

CountryRoyal
South Coast Royal
Old Man Andrews He is sick in the head anyway.

Martinez is probably the best goalkeeper who has ever worn a Reading shirt. He's showing his class at Arsenal, he's top drawer.

A matter of opinion of course but really "best goalkeeper ever"?
I think the current keeper is as good as him.
Did you never see Steve Death, Marcus or Shaka?

Not sure why you needed to put "sick in the head"-is it because in your own befuddled head you think that every posting of the inane thousands that you make has to be rude or insulting?

Saddo and general thread-ruiner OMA.

Rafael as good as emi? :lol: have a word.

Yeah it is a ridiculous opinion and it shows a complete lack of footballing knowledge and intelligence.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 09 Jul 2020 09:10

Whilst I don't agree with Vic that he is as good the only thing Rafael is really lacking in compared to Martinez is kicking but he's improved on that as the season has gone on.

Has a better pedigree than Emi as well. Full Brazil international, played in the CL and a Copa Libertadores winner with Santos.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 09 Jul 2020 09:33

sandman Whilst I don't agree with Vic that he is as good the only thing Rafael is really lacking in compared to Martinez is kicking but he's improved on that as the season has gone on.

Has a better pedigree than Emi as well. Full Brazil international, played in the CL and a Copa Libertadores winner with Santos.

Martinez played for Argentina in 2011 and I have no doubts he will again as soon as international football returns.

There seems to be this moronic view that I am suggesting Rafael and the other Reading goalkeepers are bad keepers. This couldn't be further from the truth, the keepers mentioned are all excellent keepers in their own rights. The reason for Martinez being the best of the bunch imo is based on the total package and analysing each area of goalkeeping be it distribution, shotstopping, crosses etc.
The point also has to be made that goalkeeping has gone through different eras so it isn't exactly fair to focus too much on the distribution side of things in Shaka's era as it wasn't really part of the goalkeepers game back then, their job was to clear it as far as they could and don't piss about with the ball too much. It changed at the start of Hahnemann's time with the club and he was excellent at the distribution side of things so we were lucky to have him. Rafael is a decent keeper too, very competent and I would be surprised if nobody comes in for him during the transfer window.

Overall, when all things are considered, Martinez has the best overall package of our top rated keepers down the years. I study the keepers a lot as it is an area I am reasonably highly qualified as part of my football coaching work, it is my favourite area of the game. Where that doesn't mean I know everything there is to know I do know a lot so feel qualified to make the assessment of Martinez being the best of the bunch.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 09 Jul 2020 13:58

South Coast Royal Seeing a few of our ex-players performing quite well recently I wondered how we might have done fielding a team of players who are still playing but making positive allowance for age in some cases.
I needed to include loan players to get a decent squad so this is my recommendation (4-4-2):-

McCarthy
Stacey Mariappa Cooper Ake
Antonio Chalobah Norwood Henry
Long Murray

Subs:-
Martinez
Dickie
Carrico
Fosu
Pog
Sa
I'm sure I have missed somebody but that looks a good starting eleven to me-out of the current squad I would add Swift , Ejaria, Miazga and (after yesterday) Meite..

4-4-2 out of players that are still playing but ex ex reading players I would go-

GK Martinez
LB Ake (even though he is really a CB but a bit short on that front)
RB Stacey
CB Hector
CB Morrison
CM Sigurdsson
CM Baker
LM Fosu
RM Antonio
CF Long
CF Oliveira

Second team
GK Mccarthy
LB Travner (only other ex lb still playing)
RB Teddy Howe
CB Marriappa
CB Dickie
CM Norwood
CM Williams
RM John
LM Drenthe (for the giggles)
CF Le Fondre
CF Murray

I reckon this could do a job

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 09 Jul 2020 14:14

linkenholtroyal
South Coast Royal Seeing a few of our ex-players performing quite well recently I wondered how we might have done fielding a team of players who are still playing but making positive allowance for age in some cases.
I needed to include loan players to get a decent squad so this is my recommendation (4-4-2):-

McCarthy
Long Murray

Martinez
Dickie
Carrico
Fosu
Pog
Sa
I'm sure I have missed somebody but that looks a good starting eleven to me-out of the current squad I would add Swift , Ejaria, Miazga and (after yesterday) Meite..

4-4-2 out of players that are still playing but ex ex reading players I would go-

GK Martinez
RB Stacey
CB Hector
CB Morrison
CM Sigurdsson
CM Baker
LM Fosu
RM Antonio
CF Long
CF Oliveira

Second team
GK Mccarthy
RB Teddy Howe
CB Marriappa
CB Dickie
CM Norwood
CM Williams
RM John
CF Le Fondre
CF Murray

Ryan Bertrand?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 09 Jul 2020 16:23

NewCorkSeth
linkenholtroyal

McCarthy
Long Murray

Martinez
Dickie
Carrico
Fosu
Pog
Sa

GK Martinez
RB Stacey
CB Hector
CB Morrison
CM Sigurdsson
CM Baker
LM Fosu
RM Antonio
CF Long
CF Oliveira

Second team
GK Mccarthy
RB Teddy Howe
CB Marriappa
CB Dickie
CM Norwood
CM Williams
RM John
CF Le Fondre
CF Murray

Ryan Bertrand?

Joseph Mills

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 09 Jul 2020 16:32

ok Bertrand for Ake
and Mills for Travner

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 16 Jul 2020 08:39

I notice Emi won Arsenal the game against Liverpool last night.. just for those keeping track.

Apparently he was heard shouting to David Luiz when he was wandering off during a corner "No David, where the oxf*rd are you going".