211 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Charlton Athletic (a) sponsored by Deniss Rakels

by Sutekh » 07 Jul 2020 20:03

When : Saturday 11th July, 12.30pm
Where : The Valley, Floyd Road, Charlton, SE7 8BL
Capacity : 27,111

Saturday lunchtime Reading have to travel to The Valley and give a good account of themselves against a struggling Charlton side.

Charlton started the season really well with 4 wins and 2 draws from their opening 6 games, a passage which included a 2-0 win in what was a poor Reading home performance (surprise, surprise :roll: ). As ever with this sort of opponent, Charlton then immediately started a run games which saw them collect just 3 victories from 23 games and therefore dropped the team deep into the relegation mire. Since then they’ve picked up some what and are now on a run of 5 wins from 13 which has given them a little respite and some hope of survival. The good news from Reading’s perspective in that is that Charlton have managed only 1 point from their last 3 games though they have faced rather decent opposition in Millwall, Cardiff and Brentford in those games.

Thankfully Lyle Taylor has gone so his leading tally of 11 goals is now being chased down by Macaulay Bonne (9), Conor Gallagher (6) and a Jonathan Leko (5). Darren Pratley usually also turns out to be a thorn in the side from midfield and Jonny Williams is a very tricky talent too so there should be plenty to keep the misfiring Royals awake on the day.

Reading will welcome Matt Miazga back into the fold after suspension and Andy Yiadom should be fit enough for a place in the bench given his lack of match time, also Lucas Joao may possibly be fit enough to play some capacity. Ovie Ejaria missed the Huddersfield game with an ankle injury and remains doubtful for this visit.

Thankfully Reading are away so there maybe a chance of there being a decent performance at least before we get another dreadful Tuesday night dirge v Middlesbrough.

Referee

Bond, Darren Bond.

Previously....

14 Jan 20 > Blackpool 0-2 Reading (FA Cup)
26 Nov 19 > Reading 0-1 Leeds United
10 Nov 18 > Reading 2-2 Ipswich Town
15 Sep 18 > Preston North End 2-3 Reading
03 Apr 18 > Aston Villa 3-0 Reading
20 Jan 17 > Reading 0-1 Brentford
30 Nov 17 > Reading 3-0 Barnsley
11 Feb 17 > Reading 0-0 Barnsley
13 Aug 16 > Wolverhampton Wanderers 2-0 Reading
14 Mar 15 > Watford 4-1 Reading
30 Aug 14 > Middlesbrough 0-1 Reading

Historically

This is the 20th season the two clubs have shared in the league and Reading have only ever visited The Valley to face the Addicks for away games.

The 19 games thus played to date have yielded 6 Reading wins to 9 Charlton wins. Oddly all 4 draws at The Valley between the teams have finished 0-0 so if someone scores a goal the result should work out to be decisive.

So 1-1 it’ll be then.

How to follow the game

1. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  2. Ring/text a mate for updates
  3. Use the iFollow subscription
  4. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Charlton Athletic (a) sponsored by Deniss Rakels

by tidus_mi2 » 07 Jul 2020 20:10

Can we just let them win? Rather let the shitty Northern teams get relegated.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 07 Jul 2020 20:29

Can we just end the season now. Still four more games to endure.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Jul 2020 20:32

Darren Bond is a poor referee who is a worse Bond than George Lazenby.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 07 Jul 2020 22:14

Miazga is available for this one.

One Beer is never enough.

by One Beer is never enough. » 07 Jul 2020 22:51

Old Man Andrews Darren Bond is a poor referee who is a worse Bond than George Lazenby.

:lol:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Jul 2020 23:32

windermereROYAL Miazga is available for this one.

Meh. On loan. We've got an Academy CB keeping our captain out with two clean sheets and another Academy CB doing well at RB keeping two clean sheets.

Not sure he'll get another start this season.

Midfield needs work, as does attack. But, the shape works ok away.

......................Cabral
Osho, Morrison(c), McIntyre, Blackett
..................Rino, Pele
McCleary,.... Olise,............ Baldock
.....................Meite

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 07 Jul 2020 23:44

Snowflake Royal

Meh. On loan. We've got an Academy CB keeping our captain out with two clean sheets and another Academy CB doing well at RB keeping two clean sheets.

We are safe now, so i would like to keep preparing for next season. So Blackett out and replace with Richards, McCleary out and put Meite on the right, and replace Baldock and give Boye a runout.
And go with Puscas up top as Lucas isn't fit, however the formation seems to work great on away days.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Jul 2020 23:48

Crowbar6753
Snowflake Royal

We are safe now, so i would like to keep preparing for next season. So Blackett out and replace with Richards, McCleary out and put Meite on the right, and replace Baldock and give Boye a runout.
And go with Puscas up top as Lucas isn't fit, however the formation seems to work great on away days.

No way I'm selecting Boye, think he's a waste of space.

Blackett must be getting games for a reason as Richards was fine so assume he may be staying and maybe Bowen is trying to convince him. Plus don't change a defence that's kept 2 clean sheets - trying things out is balanced with not wanting to fart out the season on losing streak.

Meite upfront for me because at least he gets stuck in, Puscas just looks lost too much. And he's done well with Baldock in the past, who will probably be here next season.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 07 Jul 2020 23:50

Snowflake Royal
Crowbar6753
Snowflake Royal Meh. On loan. We've got an Academy CB keeping our captain out with two clean sheets and another Academy CB doing well at RB keeping two clean sheets.

No way I'm selecting Boye, think he's a waste of space.

Really? Why didn’t you tell us that before :wink:

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 08 Jul 2020 07:22

Would change it up for this one, think we need to give a few a break.

Rafael

Osho
Morrison
McIntyre
Richards

Pele
Rinhomota
Swift

Meite
Baldock
Boye

Franconian Royal

by Franconian Royal » 08 Jul 2020 07:36

I only usually post in the prediction league, but I'd like to become more a poster, so here it goes.

As, I guess, we're more or less safe from the drop, let's try something a bit different.

Rafael

Osho
Morrison
McIntyre
Richards

Swift
Olise
Pelé

Ejaria
Baldock

Meite

I think this would work because we have the trickery of Ejaria and the hardwork of Baldock. If Ejaria is still unfit, then maybe McC in the hole.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Jul 2020 07:41

Same team as Luton for me

Important to keep picking up points and unless someone Is injured i don’t see much benefit for switching things about - esp for player who won’t be here not season

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 08 Jul 2020 08:09

I’d revert back to the Luton team too. We overly rely on Swift for creativity if Ejaria isn’t playing. Sadly Obita really struggled. Not sure he will get that new deal.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 08 Jul 2020 08:15

Zip I’d revert back to the Luton team too. We overly rely on Swift for creativity if Ejaria isn’t playing. Sadly Obita really struggled. Not sure he will get that new deal.

If he will take a massive pay cut I would happily offer him a 1 year deal but purely as a left back, don't think he has done too badly at LB. Never want to see him on the wing again though.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 08 Jul 2020 08:29

Old Man Andrews
Zip I’d revert back to the Luton team too. We overly rely on Swift for creativity if Ejaria isn’t playing. Sadly Obita really struggled. Not sure he will get that new deal.

If he will take a massive pay cut I would happily offer him a 1 year deal but purely as a left back, don't think he has done too badly at LB. Never want to see him on the wing again though.

Agreed

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Jul 2020 08:42

yeah thats reasonable. He has something to offer at LB. Depends a bit on whether Blackett stays.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Jul 2020 08:59

Wasn't he LB against Brentford?

That performance doesn't really inspire for him to play there either.

I think he may be done at this level sadly.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 08 Jul 2020 09:08

Think that could well be true. I think a 1 year deal with a much reduced wage is a reasonably decent investment though. Start with Richards and have Obita in reserve. Would much rather Blackett stayed over Obita but I have a feeling Blackett will get a fairly decent deal at another Championship club/abroad.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 08 Jul 2020 09:09

Same team I think. Honestly I would keep it the same until Ejaria and Joao are back then slot them in for Obita and Puscas. Unless the latter scores a few more. Reckon Joao would do really well in this set up.

On Osho, do we think he is likely to sign on? He looks tremendously strong, good speed and, based on his penalty box tackle, seems to have a good head on him. Could be just the ticket for a back up player at RB and CB next season.

211 posts