216 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Swansea City (h) sponsored by Andy Legg & Jason Bowen

by Sutekh » 18 Jul 2020 17:37

When : Wednesday 22nd July, 7.30pm
Where : Madejski Stadium, Reading, RG2 0FL
Capacity : 24,161

At last the end of the season and we can all look forward to 4-6 weeks off for pre-season(!) training, speculation, rumour and surprises etc. before starting all over again - although hopefully without the podding awful home form.

You can see there's sort of something about Reading that is struggling to get out and could be quite successful but is just continually failing as the right mix obviously isn't quite there yet. The summer will see changes to the playing side that will hopefully enable that right mix to be pulled together, the most obvious requirement being to find the formula that enables consistent threat to be carried to all opponents as Reading have lacked so badly in this area for years.

Swansea are, unfortunately, the one side left outside the top 6 (and in the top 20) with something to play for however, even with their last game being a trip to Reading to claim what usually is one of the easiest away 3 points of the season, it will take a miracle for them to knock their arch rivals Cardiff out of the top 6 as Cardiff face a home game against the all but doomed Hull City.

Liverpool loanee Rhian Brewster is going to one of the main threats to stifle as he has hit 9 in 18 appearances since joining in January (perhaps he should be a loan target for Reading for next season) but Reading shouldn’t get complacent thinking that’s all they need to do as Andre Ayew is almost as big a threat with 15 goals in 42.

Form for the Swans is currently a bit up and down with 4 wins and 4 draws to show from the last 11 league games played while Reading have a terrific run of 1 win in 13 home games to try and lose. That said Swansea have only managed 2 more points than Reading over the last 11 league games so, theoretically, there shouldn’t actually be that much between them - least not until the players realise they’re playing at the Madejski Stadium.

Just for the record, Reading could finish as high as 13th if results go their way. 16th is the lowest finish possible (goal difference will save them from any lower) if results go against them (although that will become 15th if Wigan do have points deducted).

Referee

Referees for this midweek round of games are still to be confirmed. Given there’s something riding on it you would expect one of the more experienced officials to get the honour.

Historically

Reading and Swansea have played each at all 4 levels of the Football/Premier League over 33 previous seasons. Therefore this is the 34th league game played at the Reading end of things and so far it’s 18 wins to Reading and 9 to Swansea though Reading have failed to win any of the last 4 league games played in the town.

How to follow the game

1. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  2. Ring/text a mate for updates
  3. Use an iFollow subscription
  4. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: MATCHWATCH : Swansea City (h) sponsored by Andy Legg & Jason Bowen

by Stranded » 18 Jul 2020 17:40

Just get it over with. Would be funny if we stop them making the play-off mind.

Forecast 57pts for the season before the restart so 1-1 and done.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 18 Jul 2020 18:17

Swansea or Cardiff for sixth place how sad

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 18 Jul 2020 18:51

Can we gift Swansea the win and save ourselves the bother of moaning on here.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Jul 2020 10:12

Tricky to think who it's worth playing for this one...

Could be a chance to try out Araruna, Masika et al. Or Baldock and Meite / Puscas up top from the start. Or just more minutes for Olise, Osho and co.

Nevers or CBC get some bench time...

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 20 Jul 2020 10:19

I need referee information immediately.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 20 Jul 2020 10:24

Rafael

Osho
Morrison
McIntyre
Richards

Meite
Araruna
Rinomhota
Olise

Baldock
Puscas

Not sure about McIntyre’s fitness

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 20 Jul 2020 10:25

I am happy to give all the out of contract players/players who will be sold a final game.

Rafael

Gunter
Moore
Morrison
Obita

Rinhomota
Swift
Ejaria/Olise

Meite
Baldock
McCleary

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 20 Jul 2020 10:26

It is a chance to put some players in the shop window I suppose but there is nothing to lose here. Just either go all hung go or play an entire team full of youth players.

CBC in goal would be good, gunter for a final send off on a glittering Reading career and some of our other youngsters

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 20 Jul 2020 10:37

If we played a youth team in this game we would be fined for bringing the game into disrepute, there is too much riding on it for Swansea and the other playoff contenders. Playing a weakened team and giving Swansea the upper hand would be deeply unfair on their playoff rivals.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 20 Jul 2020 10:44

Oh yes shit my bad I forgot for a minute Swansea could sneak into the playoffs. Scratch that youth team idea.

Although it would be funny to see Cardiff choke because I oxf*rd despise them. Just look at Lee Tomlin for christ sake. He looks more suited to be on a site rather then onside.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 20 Jul 2020 10:48

While I'm 99% over the play-off defeat at this point, it would be nice to stop Swansea getting in the play-offs.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 20 Jul 2020 10:53

tidus_mi2 While I'm 99% over the play-off defeat at this point, it would be nice to stop Swansea getting in the play-offs.

I think it also might have something to do with the past 43 games aswell to be fair.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Jul 2020 10:53

I don't think there is much value in any of the ooc players starting. Bowen seems to have lost patience with them as well suggesting some of their performances weren't up to scratch. Lets start to look to next season

Rafael
Osho McIntyre/Moore Morrison Richards
Olise Rino Araruna Meite
Baldock Puscas

Walker, Blackett, Obita, McCleary, Gunter, Swift, Miazga, Timbe, Adam

I dont think we can pick any U23s because they are furloughed, but would put them on the bench if we can.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 20 Jul 2020 11:08

Sutekh, I need the referee information immediately.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 20 Jul 2020 11:50

Royal_jimmy Can we gift Swansea the win and save ourselves the bother of moaning on here.

If we gifted the win to them, some on here would still moan. Mind you, even if we have a deserved win (even 5-0) there are some posters on here who would still find something to moan about.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 20 Jul 2020 11:53

The Royal Forester
Royal_jimmy Can we gift Swansea the win and save ourselves the bother of moaning on here.

If we gifted the win to them, some on here would still moan. Mind you, even if we have a deserved win (even 5-0) there are some posters on here who would still find something to moan about.

Yep because we all have to be happy about playing some of the worst football in our history, having no money, having a supply teacher as a manager and coming 15th each season with no signs of progress. Lets all be delighted about this.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 20 Jul 2020 12:06

Old Man Andrews
The Royal Forester

Yep because we all have to be happy about playing some of the worst football in our history, having no money, having a supply teacher as a manager and coming 15th each season with no signs of progress. Lets all be delighted about this.

I was, and no doubt, RJ was talking about the match itself. Oh, by the way, we are not playing some of the worst football in our history. Did you ever see us languishing around mid to bottom of the Forth Division? Neither have we have finished 15th each season. It is an improvement on most of the last five or so seasons.
Last edited by The Royal Forester on 20 Jul 2020 12:13, edited 2 times in total.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 20 Jul 2020 12:11

Echo the sentiments about it not being the worst football, from an entertainment perspective it's streets ahead of Stamball and quality wise we you can't make the claim to be some of the worst football the club has played when much of our history has been spent in the lowest 2 levels of the Football League.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Jul 2020 12:44

Hound I don't think there is much value in any of the ooc players starting. Bowen seems to have lost patience with them as well suggesting some of their performances weren't up to scratch. Lets start to look to next season

Rafael
Osho McIntyre/Moore Morrison Richards
Olise Rino Araruna Meite
Baldock Puscas

Walker, Blackett, Obita, McCleary, Gunter, Swift, Miazga, Timbe, Adam

I dont think we can pick any U23s because they are furloughed, but would put them on the bench if we can.

Happy enough with that. But I'd leave McIntyre out to be sure regardless.

Tempted by Adam.

Think I prefer Baldock with Meite as a pair but then you've got to work out who to go wide right.

Wouldn't be upset to see a front three of Baldock, Puscas and Meite either - Baldock did well as LF under Clement iirc.

216 posts