Season 20/21

928 posts
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Season 20/21

by Stranded » 27 Jul 2020 15:21

I guess it will just come down to if there will continue to be enough money around the game to make having 92 professional clubs in the country.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Jul 2020 17:38

Stranded I guess it will just come down to if there will continue to be enough money around the game to make having 92 professional clubs in the country.

There's more than enough money, it's whether the amount available is spread evenly enough.

With the disparity as is, it's hard to meet the demands to sign good enough players or put in place clauses that don't leave you crippled on relegation or failed promotion.

Too much of the cash is locked in to tv for the PL. The players lower down want reasonable wages in comparison but the wealth is so vastly different it's not fundable.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 27 Jul 2020 18:22

Snowflake Royal
Stranded I guess it will just come down to if there will continue to be enough money around the game to make having 92 professional clubs in the country.

There's more than enough money, it's whether the amount available is spread evenly enough.

With the disparity as is, it's hard to meet the demands to sign good enough players or put in place clauses that don't leave you crippled on relegation or failed promotion.

Too much of the cash is locked in to tv for the PL. The players lower down want reasonable wages in comparison but the wealth is so vastly different it's not fundable.

The money goes where the "interest" is. It simply won't trickle down unless there is an obvious benefit. At the moment, if a club or clubs go bust there will always be another waiting to take their place.

We are still in a position where players in L2 are earning 6 figure annual salaries, at some point you have to ask if that is realistically sustainable. Needs to be a lot more focus put into pathways away from the game for pros who play say 20 years at L1 or L2 level so that they can have a clear path after their playing days are over.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 29 Jul 2020 11:02

Stranded
Snowflake Royal

The money goes where the "interest" is. It simply won't trickle down unless there is an obvious benefit. At the moment, if a club or clubs go bust there will always be another waiting to take their place.

We are still in a position where players in L2 are earning 6 figure annual salaries, at some point you have to ask if that is realistically sustainable. Needs to be a lot more focus put into pathways away from the game for pros who play say 20 years at L1 or L2 level so that they can have a clear path after their playing days are over.

Very true. The footballers argument has often been that careers are short, if someone gets a bad injury, very short and that therefore that justifies probably higher than realistic wages while playing.

But, without being rude, Many players in L1 and L2, even lower championship sides aren’t anything special, clearly very good at the game but to even make it pro, anywhere but many wages are still out of kilter with reality.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 29 Jul 2020 13:07

Was thinking about the captaincy situation this morning and I have come to the conclusion that Tom McIntyre is far and away the best candidate. Obviously on paper Morrison is the obvious choice, experience, been a captain before etc BUT having a local lad as the face of the club is exactly what we need right now imo. This would instantly get the supporters on side and buy a bit of time and patience, we would all back a team led by McIntyre. With Morrison there with him as vice captain to dish out any bollockings I think it would be very well received by all.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 29 Jul 2020 13:12

Old Man Andrews Was thinking about the captaincy situation this morning and I have come to the conclusion that Tom McIntyre is far and away the best candidate. Obviously on paper Morrison is the obvious choice, experience, been a captain before etc BUT having a local lad as the face of the club is exactly what we need right now imo. This would instantly get the supporters on side and buy a bit of time and patience, we would all back a team led by McIntyre. With Morrison there with him as vice captain to dish out any bollockings I think it would be very well received by all.

Too young for me at 21, in a couple of years sure.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 29 Jul 2020 13:24

SouthDownsRoyal
Stranded
Snowflake Royal There's more than enough money, it's whether the amount available is spread evenly enough.

Very true. The footballers argument has often been that careers are short, if someone gets a bad injury, very short and that therefore that justifies probably higher than realistic wages while playing.

But, without being rude, Many players in L1 and L2, even lower championship sides aren’t anything special, clearly very good at the game but to even make it pro, anywhere but many wages are still out of kilter with reality.

Most League 2 players make middle-class wages. £1000 per week maybe. Nothing to complain about but not super rich. You’ve still got to look after your money with that sort of income, particularly if you have ten years to make a lifetime’s money.

League One players make as much as bankers and CEOs. Championship players can make the same in a week that a minimum wage worker makes in a year.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 11 Aug 2020 15:46

Fixtures for the new season are expected sometime during the week of 15th August

Championship clubs are expected to have to play their League Cup 1st Round ties sometime over the weekend of 26/27/28/29 August due to the international break on 5th September.

Presume the 1st Round draw is sometime in the next week or so.

All behind closed doors of course so makes no odds to us mugs.

Of course if they scrapped the League Cup and Nations League it’d make things easier all round.

Be interesting to see whether the clubs offer any deals for ifollow for the first half of the season.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 11 Aug 2020 17:53

Reading play away at Spurs in a friendly match on the 28th of August at 3pm

https://mobile.twitter.com/hotspurdzn/s ... 3926594560

But this falls within the Carabao Cup 1st Round dates posted above

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 11 Aug 2020 19:15

Sutekh Fixtures for the new season are expected sometime during the week of 15th August

Championship clubs are expected to have to play their League Cup 1st Round ties sometime over the weekend of 26/27/28/29 August due to the international break on 5th September.

Presume the 1st Round draw is sometime in the next week or so.

All behind closed doors of course so makes no odds to us mugs.

Of course if they scrapped the League Cup and Nations League it’d make things easier all round.

Be interesting to see whether the clubs offer any deals for ifollow for the first half of the season.

I've read its next Friday 21st for EFL and Prem

League Cup first round scheduled in for the International break which will mean championship sides playing first round game last week of August - unless they agree to play during the break - possible I guess as everyone plays reserve sides anyway...

It should be scrapped this season - there's no room for it and at least will deny City one trophy

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 12 Aug 2020 10:09

morganb Reading play away at Spurs in a friendly match on the 28th of August at 3pm

Shame it'll be behind closed doors as I would quite like to go to their new stadium.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 12 Aug 2020 11:09

Hendo
morganb Reading play away at Spurs in a friendly match on the 28th of August at 3pm

Shame it'll be behind closed doors as I would quite like to go to their new stadium.

My Dad is the same way, he is a dual Spurs/Reading supporter so would love to go to the new WHL, my nephew who goes with us is dual Spurs/Reading too.

Barney
Hob Nob Regular

by Barney » 13 Aug 2020 09:22

With the fixtures release imminent, a couple of stats...

Last 26 seasons, first league game has been 13 times at home and, obviously, same away.
Home results have been 6-3-4. Away has been 1-6-6.
Our worst run over this time is easily our current run.....lost the first game of the season for the last three seasons.
Last time our first league game was away, and we won, was back in the 2001-2002 season !!

I'll get my coat.

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 13 Aug 2020 12:05

League cup to play first four rounds in September midweeks, and no 2 legged semi final. Draw on Tues 18th August.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12048348/carabao-cup-to-kick-off-efl-season-first-four-rounds-to-be-played-in-september

Carabao Cup 2020/21 Schedule:
Round one: September 5
Round two: September 15/16
Round three: September 22/23
Round four: September 29/30
Round five: December 22/23
Semi-finals: January 5/6
Final: February 28

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 13 Aug 2020 12:07

Can see some clubs playing random local people in the Carabao Cup this season, like anyone will have the stomach for it..... Should have been canned.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Aug 2020 12:16

Old Man Andrews Can see some clubs playing random local people in the Carabao Cup this season, like anyone will have the stomach for it..... Should have been canned.

You making yourself available for selection?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 13 Aug 2020 12:20

Hound
Old Man Andrews Can see some clubs playing random local people in the Carabao Cup this season, like anyone will have the stomach for it..... Should have been canned.

You making yourself available for selection?

Very much so, I have never given up on my dream. I returned to playing Saturday afternoon football at an extremely low standard at the back end of last season so I am more than ready for the Carabao Cup.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Aug 2020 12:48

Nice. Need a small op on my leg in early Sept, but I might join you if we make it through the first round

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 13 Aug 2020 12:49

Also, BBC reporting:

FA Cup: No replays during 2020-21 season

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 13 Aug 2020 12:51

morganb Also, BBC reporting:

FA Cup: No replays during 2020-21 season

Just what the lower league/non-league clubs needed.......

928 posts