Mike Conroy

JmSG

Mike Conroy

by JmSG » 07 Aug 2020 11:07

Greetings, one question, Mike Conroy played for Reading in the late 80's. He was a center forward, right?

fartdad
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Mike Conroy

by fartdad » 18 May 2021 00:29

Yes that is correct :!:

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 18 May 2021 07:14

My recollection is that he played mainly as a winger for us.

Wherever he played he wasn’t very good.

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 18 May 2021 19:15

Royal Rother My recollection is that he played mainly as a winger for us.

...2nd part is a tad harsh - he certainly had three very prolific spells after he left us, racking up a total of 80+ goals in three seasons with Burnley, PNE & Fulham respectively.
He had a comparatively poor return of only 7 league goals in 2 and a bit seasons he was with us.

I recall him as a player you wouldn't necessarily notice. I thought we used him more often as a support striker, not an out and out winger - he was a bit tall and not particularly quick for that.

The middle season probably marked the end of his time here, as we were using Steve Moran in his preferred role.
- needless to say his time with us, would have been massively overshadowed by the presence of the veritable deity that was, one T.Senior. :mrgreen:

...but much like with 'big' Mick Kearney a decade before -personally I was more than happy with him in the team and he usually put in a good shift .....probably would have scored high on assists, back in the day when such things weren't really the factor that they are now?

Kearney acquired semi-legendary status by his closer association with the club off the field, as well as actually being leading scorer, in his own right in 79-80. He pipped Kearns and Earles to the accolade - scoring 12. There were four double-figure scorers in that league campaign that season, with Ritchie Bowman getting 11.

Got a vague recollection that in this, his 2nd spell with us, he often operated as an emergency CB too. Was always a bit of a monster in the air.
Last edited by Four Of Clubs on 18 May 2021 19:56, edited 2 times in total.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 18 May 2021 19:48

Four Of Clubs

...2nd part is a tad harsh - he certainly went on to three very prolific spells after he left us, racking up a total of 80+ goals in three seasons with Burnley, PNE & Fulham.

I recall him as a player you wouldn't necessarily notice. We used him as a support striker, not an out and out winger - he was a bit tall and not particularly quick for that.
On the face of it he had a comparatively poor return of less than 10 league goals (7) in about 2 and a bit seasons when looking at his post-Royals career.
The middle season here was probably already marking the end of his time, as we were using Steve Moran in his preferred role.
- needless to say his time with us, would have been massively overshadowed by the presence of the veritable deity that was, one T.Senior. :mrgreen:

...but much like 'big' Mick Kearney a decade before - I was always more than happy with him in the team and he usually put in a good shift .....probably would have scored high on assists, back in the day when such things weren't really the factor that they are now?

Kearney acquired semi-legendary status by his closer association with the club off the field, as well as actually being leading scorer, in his own right in 79-80. He pipped Kearns and Earles to the accolade - scoring 12. There were four double-figure scorers in that league campaign that season, with Ritchie Bowman getting 11.

Got a vague recollection that in this, his 2nd spell with us, he often operated as an emergency CB too. Was always a bit of a monster in the air.

Both were Scots, I believe Conroy actually came from a Scottish club?

Kearney was a more complete forward though, had no pace at all but was good on the ground and held the ball up well....had to compete with three other forwards too as we had Earles, Kearns and Heale back then and all chipped in with regular goals

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 18 May 2021 22:42

Four Of Clubs

...2nd part is a tad harsh - he certainly had three very prolific spells after he left us, racking up a total of 80+ goals in three seasons with Burnley, PNE & Fulham respectively.
He had a comparatively poor return of only 7 league goals in 2 and a bit seasons he was with us.

I recall him as a player you wouldn't necessarily notice. I thought we used him more often as a support striker, not an out and out winger - he was a bit tall and not particularly quick for that.

The middle season probably marked the end of his time here, as we were using Steve Moran in his preferred role.

...but much like with 'big' Mick Kearney a decade before -personally I was more than happy with him in the team and he usually put in a good shift .....probably would have scored high on assists, back in the day when such things weren't really the factor that they are now?

Oh indeed, after he left us he scored loads. I remember being amazed (and pleased) when he started scoring regularly. To me, at Reading, he had looked hopeless as a striker and not a natural winger.

I have a vague recollection of someone else who left us around the same time, having looked pretty rank, to go to Cambridge Utd and then started scoring for fun. Who was that?

As I type I remember - David Crown!

There is a distinct possibility I am getting the 2 confused as Crown was definitely almost exclusively used as a winger at Reading.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 19 May 2021 08:22

You are definitely thinking of David Crown, who left to go to Cambridge and had a new lease of life as a forward instead of on the right wing where he played for us. I thought he was pretty decent for us during his time here.

Going back to Mike Conroy, I may have tried to blot this from my memory as it wasn’t a great period in our history, but didn’t he play about 20 games at centre back for us in the late 80s under Branfoot at one stage? Might account for his goal return from 80 games....

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 19 May 2021 09:45

Mr Optimist You are definitely thinking of David Crown, who left to go to Cambridge and had a new lease of life as a forward instead of on the right wing where he played for us. I thought he was pretty decent for us during his time here.

Going back to Mike Conroy, I may have tried to blot this from my memory as it wasn’t a great period in our history, but didn’t he play about 20 games at centre back for us in the late 80s under Branfoot at one stage? Might account for his goal return from 80 games....

He definitely played CB for a time. Initially because of an injury crisis but was actually very good there so kept his place for about 20 or so games. Was a big fan of his back in the day.

Came to us from St. Mirren for about 50k.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 19 May 2021 09:56

Mr Optimist You are definitely thinking of David Crown, who left to go to Cambridge and had a new lease of life as a forward instead of on the right wing where he played for us. I thought he was pretty decent for us during his time here.

Think he was after Branfoot's time, think Porterfield signed him?

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 19 May 2021 15:57

Conroy came as a striker but played quite a bit at left back - a weird Branfoot-ism.

The opposition seemed to be quite happy for Conroy at LB to have the ball!

He was a trier in a bleak period.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 19 May 2021 16:59

Mid Sussex Royal

Think he was after Branfoot's time, think Porterfield signed him?

Signed in 1988, so definitely Branfoot initially, but longer for Porterfield.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 20 May 2021 14:11

Mike Conroy arrived in 1988 while Ian Branfoot was manager. Ian didn't leave his position as manager until October 1989 (despite, as I recall, Reading being on an unbeaten run that included the 6-1 at Swansea).

He was a stiker but he usually got played anywhere but and it certainly wasn't uncommon to see him in the back line. Think fans were generally underwhelmed by him until he finally got more run outs in attack where he gave his all and looked a decent player, certainly his last sasom (90-91) was probably his best.

Not sure why he got lumped out of position but then again Trevor Senior was at the club and Mike wasn't the same sort of player as the likes of Maskell, Leworthy and Moran which the managers at the time seemed to feel would be the better partner for Trevor.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 21 May 2021 18:28

Sutekh Mike Conroy arrived in 1988 while Ian Branfoot was manager. Ian didn't leave his position as manager until October 1989 (despite, as I recall, Reading being on an unbeaten run that included the 6-1 at Swansea).

He was a stiker but he usually got played anywhere but and it certainly wasn't uncommon to see him in the back line. Think fans were generally underwhelmed by him until he finally got more run outs in attack where he gave his all and looked a decent player, certainly his last sasom (90-91) was probably his best.

Not sure why he got lumped out of position but then again Trevor Senior was at the club and Mike wasn't the same sort of player as the likes of Maskell, Leworthy and Moran which the managers at the time seemed to feel would be the better partner for Trevor.

I may be wrong as its decades ago but I'm sure Branfoot was sacked following a 4-1 defeat at Orient ( I was there) when we were abysmal

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 21 May 2021 19:00

Mid Sussex Royal
Sutekh Mike Conroy arrived in 1988 while Ian Branfoot was manager. Ian didn't leave his position as manager until October 1989 (despite, as I recall, Reading being on an unbeaten run that included the 6-1 at Swansea).

I may be wrong as its decades ago but I'm sure Branfoot was sacked following a 4-1 defeat at Orient ( I was there) when we were abysmal

You are both right. Lost 4-1 at Orient on 21st October 89. Fired 2 days later. Thst defeat was the first in the league in 7 games but the previous 4 had been drawn.

Also lost 4-0 at Newcastle a game or two before in the League Cup having won the 1st leg 3-1.

oldebiscuit

by oldebiscuit » 21 May 2021 22:06

JmSG Greetings, one question, Mike Conroy played for Reading in the late 80's. He was a center forward, right?

I’m not usually one of those tedious pedants with such an empty life that I have to point out spelling mistakes, but, in this case, I feel the need. Unless you originate from the USA, It’s CENTRE not center.

And as for Mike Conroy, just a typical ‘Branfoot I’m out of my depth signing’ to add to an already shocking team. Even if he was any good, he wouldn’t have been able to to perform in that shower of shite.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 22 May 2021 11:46

oldebiscuit
JmSG Greetings, one question, Mike Conroy played for Reading in the late 80's. He was a center forward, right?

I’m not usually one of those tedious pedants with such an empty life that I have to point out spelling mistakes, but, in this case, I feel the need. Unless you originate from the USA, It’s CENTRE not center.

And as for Mike Conroy, just a typical ‘Branfoot I’m out of my depth signing’ to add to an already shocking team. Even if he was any good, he wouldn’t have been able to to perform in that shower of shite.

You know the 13 wins at the start of the season was under Branfoot
You know that the Division 3 title was under Branfoot
He may have been dour but effective and I don't think 'out of his depth' could be levelled so easily at him

Did he lose the plot ? probably
Was he always shite ? absolutely not

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 22 May 2021 14:41

I liked Branfoot. Produced some of my favourite memories as a Reading fan.

Simod Cup anyone?

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 22 May 2021 14:43

Franchise FC
oldebiscuit

He may have been dour but effective and I don't think 'out of his depth' could be levelled so easily at him

Add the Simod Cup to the list too, we haven't won at Wembley since either...

oldebiscuit

by oldebiscuit » 22 May 2021 22:18

Franchise FC
oldebiscuit

Yes, I am well aware that his methodical football got us promoted in 85/86, but after that he was lost, totally clueless at the level we had reached, I guess a victim of his own success.

As for the Simon Cup, well, a totally meaningless competition, created for day trippers and fantasists. Real fans went for the fun, but knew that it meant next to nothing.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 22 May 2021 22:53

Pathetic dismissal of the huge achievement of 2 promotions and a Cup competition in which we beat 3 top flight teams - all in the space of 5 years.

He may have been limited but he was a very successful manager for us.

Oh, and I’m not usually one of those tedious pedants with such an empty life that I have to point out spelling mistakes, but, in this case, I feel the need. Whatever your origins, it’s SIMOD not Simon.