268 posts
NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Derby County (a) sponsored by things to come

by NewCorkSeth » 13 Sep 2020 13:22

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
CountryRoyal
Let’s face it though Bowen would have brought on a defender at half time and sat on the edge of our box for the rest of the game trying to defend the lead.

+1.

You guys realise that we had no shots on target second half and brought on a CB to play DM at the end, right?

You'd be crying about shutting up shop and not going for it second half had Bowen been in charge, yet here you are saying the reverse because he isn't. :lol:

I thought he was making a, very fair, joke about the fact Bowen often was quite negative in his tactics in the second half of games when we were trying to protect a lead. Its funny.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Sep 2020 13:25

CountryRoyal
Snowflake Royal
CountryRoyal
Unfair. I did say my only complaint was that we weren't ruthless enough and pushed for more goals. That being said, we hit the bar and had a one on one which we should have scored. The substitution you eluded to took place in the 88th minute as well, its hardly like taking the lead and almost immediately making a defensive change and tactic, which we saw so often under Bowen.

I'd like to see some actual factual examples to back that up rather than just you saying it's true, because I didn't agree with it when you said during or after the games themselves, so I'm certainly not doing it now.

I don't really remember saying it during or after the games at the time as I wasn't particularly active last season on here. I've got too much to do at the moment to look into the specifics of the games as such, if you please you're more than welcome to though. I'm not the only one with that sentiment but in the court of public approval, I'm pretty indifferent to Bowen and you're vehemently pro him, therefore there wouldn't be any bias in your defence would there now? :wink:

I had a quick look.

Fulham (A) Miazga on for Yaks on 68 mins, but that was just after they pulled one back, not us scoring, and we won. That's as close as I can find in about half the season working back from the last game. By which point it became obvious there wasn't any point in continuing, because we did very well in the next run of about 10 games I had to look at.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 13 Sep 2020 14:09

Snowflake Royal
CountryRoyal
Snowflake Royal I'd like to see some actual factual examples to back that up rather than just you saying it's true, because I didn't agree with it when you said during or after the games themselves, so I'm certainly not doing it now.

I don't really remember saying it during or after the games at the time as I wasn't particularly active last season on here. I've got too much to do at the moment to look into the specifics of the games as such, if you please you're more than welcome to though. I'm not the only one with that sentiment but in the court of public approval, I'm pretty indifferent to Bowen and you're vehemently pro him, therefore there wouldn't be any bias in your defence would there now? :wink:

I had a quick look.

Fulham (A) Miazga on for Yaks on 68 mins, but that was just after they pulled one back, not us scoring, and we won. That's as close as I can find in about half the season working back from the last game. By which point it became obvious there wasn't any point in continuing, because we did very well in the next run of about 10 games I had to look at.

You're focusing too much on the substitution of a defender on for an attacker. There are plenty of other means to go more defensive, more defensive minded midfielders, strikers on which allows x to move back etc etc, regardless of the substations that may or may not have happened, all too often last season we sat too far back too early last season with a "protect what we have" mentality, to our detriment. How many games did we drop points after taking the lead? A lot.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Sep 2020 14:17

LOL... you're gonna stick to that regardless aren't you.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 13 Sep 2020 15:05

Snowflake Royal LOL... you're gonna stick to that regardless aren't you.

Could say the same about your stance tbf.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Sep 2020 15:48

CountryRoyal

M'bro (H) - 3 points dropped
33 v 45 & 82
Masika for Olise 72 - not defensive
Baldock for Puscas 77 - not defensive
McCleary & Obita for Moore & Blackett 83 - not defensive
No formation change on Whoscored until about 85 min

Stoke (H) - 1 point dropped
7 v 90
Puscas for Joao 38 injury
Rino for Olise 74 - maybe defensive
McCleary & Adam for Meite & Ejaria 83 - not particularly defensive and late on
Woodwork 55
No formation change on whoscored

West Brom (H) - 3 points dropped
11 v 26 & 49
Rino for Araruna 55 - not defensive
Adam for Pele 77 - not defensive
Baldock for Swift 82 - not defensive

Hull (H) - 1 point dropped
56 v 82
Araruna for Gunter 27 (injury)
Richards for Obita 61 - not defensive
Aluko for Baldock 68 not defensive

Cardiff (A) - 1 point dropped
8 v 70
Adam for Swift 78 - maybe defensive
Puscas for Baldock 83 - not defensive
Richards for Obita 86 - not defensive
Formation change 82
All changes post conceding

Those are all the games we took the lead in but dropped points going back to October.

Think you're confusing the other team improving and us struggling and not taking our chances with negative tactics and changes.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 13 Sep 2020 16:10

This is where no amount of stats or facts can culminate in a definitive end to this debate.

Do we sit back because the other team push higher up and build momentum or do they push higher up and build momentum because we sit back?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 13 Sep 2020 17:32

CountryRoyal This is where no amount of stats or facts can culminate in a definitive end to this debate.

Do we sit back because the other team push higher up and build momentum or do they push higher up and build momentum because we sit back?

I'm pretty sure that at the time many Nobbers were complaining
because we went defensive and try to control the game.

Another comment/question

Even the 0-5 win at Luton, I didn't find exhilarating and we could have gone behind.

There are very few games (if any) under Bowen that I can remember being excited about our play.

The Q. What were about most crowd-pleasing performances under Bowen? Did any of them come
anywhere CLOSE to yesterday's superb performance?

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 13 Sep 2020 18:11

Snowball
CountryRoyal This is where no amount of stats or facts can culminate in a definitive end to this debate.

Another comment/question

Even the 0-5 win at Luton, I didn't find exhilarating and we could have gone behind.

There are very few games (if any) under Bowen that I can remember being excited about our play.

The Q. What were about most crowd-pleasing performances under Bowen? Did any of them come

I enjoyed the 3-0 home against Luton.

The defeat at Millwall probably being the opposite end - one of my least favourite performances from us I’ve had the displeasure of watching and that’s saying something.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 13 Sep 2020 18:15

Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal I'm shocked you don't think Meite should start URRZZZ

:lol:

It’s not that, just would be wary of changing an XI that’s just picked up a very good away win

Don’t think any player has the divine right to just walk back in, regardless of who they are

Yeah I'm just mucking about.

But seriously, it's one game. If it was a good run I'd be absolutely on board with making someone work their way in from the subs bench.

Be interesting though, because Meite and Olise are very very different players. Yaks isn't exactly much of a provider.

Meite would be better against high pressing teams I think. Olise needs space to work with, but Meite flourishes when he’s allowed to run at the opposing team and force them into making mistakes, helped us a lot in 16/17 grinding out those wins when he was used like that. Suddenly the right wing looks quite strong thinking like that. Riquelme on the left and a either footed winger who’s direct(Mo Barrow mould) I think would be perfect as far as wingers are concerned. Aluko looks ok but I think he should only play in the middle.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 13 Sep 2020 18:28

Would like to see Olise in the left maybe to give a better balance. But you can’t really drop Ejaria after a game like that. Think Meite will have to wait for his chance.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 13 Sep 2020 18:33

CountryRoyal
Snowball

Another comment/question

I enjoyed the 3-0 home against Luton.

The defeat at Millwall probably being the opposite end - one of my least favourite performances from us I’ve had the displeasure of watching and that’s saying something.

Fulham away was class last season.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Sep 2020 18:59

No but short of going back and watching all the games together and having a nice long chat about it whilst we're doing it it's all there is.

You might think that if it was actually true that Bowen went negative and defensive to shut up shop as soon as we scored a goal - as you suggested (and by implication it didn't work and we dropped points as a result), it might just possibly be reflected in a few matches in the form of defensive subs, or formation changes, shortly after a goal, - though Whoscored is not exactly reliable for formation changes, but it's all I've got I terms of testing the idea with some form of objective evidence other than your memory and opinion vs mine.

And to be honest, I had nothing better to do whilst relaxing on the sofa and listening to a podcast to recharge.

Like I said, you weren't going to change your mind whatever came up were you. At least I looked to see if there was anything that challenged my view. :wink: :P

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 13 Sep 2020 19:51

SCIAG Would like to see Olise in the left maybe to give a better balance. But you can’t really drop Ejaria after a game like that. Think Meite will have to wait for his chance.

Olise was much better on the right, had more space and was a lot more effective. Ejaria can’t be dropped I agree, but I think he’d be better in the middle personally.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 13 Sep 2020 22:02

TiagoIlori
SCIAG Would like to see Olise in the left maybe to give a better balance. But you can’t really drop Ejaria after a game like that. Think Meite will have to wait for his chance.

Olise was much better on the right, had more space and was a lot more effective. Ejaria can’t be dropped I agree, but I think he’d be better in the middle personally.

I’m coming round to Ejaria on the wing, for starters we don’t have a better option and also a lot of his best performances have actually come out wide. I think he gets into more one-on-ones that way. He’s better at dribbling than passing, but out wide all he has to do is tangle up his full back and cut it back for someone.

That said, a midfield three of Ejaria, Rinomhota and Laurent? That would be incredible dominant.

cornflake

by cornflake » 13 Sep 2020 22:41

Snowflake Royal
cornflake Does anyone know who to contact about a refund ,as ifollow wasn't working very well for me.
No picture or sound at all in the second half.
Cheers

supporterservices@readingfc.co.uk

Probably the place to start, they may direct you to IFollow but should give you contact details.

Many thanks .

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 13 Sep 2020 22:50

Snowflake Royal
CountryRoyal

M'bro (H) - 3 points dropped
33 v 45 & 82
Masika for Olise 72 - not defensive
Baldock for Puscas 77 - not defensive
McCleary & Obita for Moore & Blackett 83 - not defensive
No formation change on Whoscored until about 85 min

Stoke (H) - 1 point dropped
7 v 90
Puscas for Joao 38 injury
Rino for Olise 74 - maybe defensive
McCleary & Adam for Meite & Ejaria 83 - not particularly defensive and late on
Woodwork 55

West Brom (H) - 3 points dropped
11 v 26 & 49
Rino for Araruna 55 - not defensive
Adam for Pele 77 - not defensive
Baldock for Swift 82 - not defensive

Hull (H) - 1 point dropped
56 v 82
Araruna for Gunter 27 (injury)
Richards for Obita 61 - not defensive
Aluko for Baldock 68 not defensive

Cardiff (A) - 1 point dropped
8 v 70
Adam for Swift 78 - maybe defensive
Puscas for Baldock 83 - not defensive
Richards for Obita 86 - not defensive
Formation change 82
All changes post conceding

Those are all the games we took the lead in but dropped points going back to October.

Think you're confusing the other team improving and us struggling and not taking our chances with negative tactics and changes.

Thought you weren't a Reading fan anymore and were boycotting the team and not listening to games on the radio after your breakdown over sacking Bowen?

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 14 Sep 2020 06:58

TiagoIlori

Sell Swift, sign a DM to play as backup, and then put Ovie in the centre?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Sep 2020 07:35

Meite can wait for his chance. Can’t play Joao every game and it’s basically 2 games a week all season. See him as back up CF atm, obvs a couple of bad results and you look to bring him back in

Swift is fine as back up DM for either Rino or Laurent. Not too worried about those positions - 3 good players for 2 spots

Obvs you play swifty further forward if the other 2 are fit and on form

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 14 Sep 2020 09:11

Hound Meite can wait for his chance. Can’t play Joao every game and it’s basically 2 games a week all season. See him as back up CF atm, obvs a couple of bad results and you look to bring him back in

Swift is fine as back up DM for either Rino or Laurent. Not too worried about those positions - 3 good players for 2 spots

Obvs you play Swifty further forward if the other 2 are fit and on form

Is Meite still banned? Three games?

BTW, those thinking Meite could stand in as a hold-up player? Much as I love
the guy, a hold-up player he ain't.

Saturday's players worked for that system. Without Joao (unless Puscas
stays and can be taught to hold up properly) could the manager have a
two-up-front Plan B? The way we played Saturday (ACTUAL CHANCES CREATED!!)
would have been great for Puscas and/or Meite.

Granted, playing two up means you lose a midfielder, but....

Incidentally, do we have stats for chances? The common moan, esp for people defending Puscas/Meite/Baldock last season was that the strikers were starved of chances. Sure Joao is on fire ATM, but let's not forget we were creating the chances with some superb through balls and much better crosses

268 posts