MATCHWATCH : Luton Town (h) sponsored by Dean Morgan

248 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Luton Town (h) sponsored by Dean Morgan

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Sep 2020 12:33

Not a particularly new role for Olise. Basically the same in terms of being central just behind the striker(s)

You obviously don't have to like it, there are certainly flaws, but it's pretty clear what it's testing to me.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 14 Sep 2020 12:49

I’ll never say no to a radical idea in a cup competition.

Personally would bring in Baldock for Ejaria, Puscas for Joao, the Toms at centre back, and Southwood. Rest the players with knocks, keep the sub keeper and CBs fresh, and aim to win the game and set up Man United. But if we did make a load of changes then I wouldn’t complain too much. Would love to see some more debuts from the bench.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 14 Sep 2020 13:02

Nameless
Simon's Church
Nameless
What on earth are you testing here ?

3 at the back
2 strikers
Araruna at RWB against Championship opposition
Holmes against Championship opposition
Tetek in a proper game
If Bristow can build on a decent debut

And OLIse in a new role, a new midfield pairing,

And a bunch of players trying To cope with multiple changes to the formation which would never never be used with the same players again.
How would you know if any of these worked ?
How could you tell I forgot Holmes S fine against a championship side not playing it’s usual strikers but not ok as the right side of a back 3 , or would be fine there with Yiadom but exposed by ARaruna ?

Who knows.

Why is Luton such a shithole? With no fans there to watch is the game even real? Does God exist? Are we all just killing time until we die?

Esteban

by Esteban » 14 Sep 2020 13:24

skipper Given the momentum we'd like to build, the get uine possibility of winning, if we field a good team, the fruits of our labour if we did win, I'd be fielding as strong a team as possible.

Echoing most people here, and resting key players Ejaria, João, but keeping the core there. We have Miete returning, so can easily swap out for the Barnsley game, so we kind of rotate over the course of two games, rather than one.

Keeps core of squad strong & playing together and hopefully results in some consistency for us.

Agreed, but given the current lack of experienced cover at left back, I'd include Richards in that list of key players.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 14 Sep 2020 14:11

Mid Sussex Royal
Fox Talbot For me, a surprisingly absolutely vital game - because I believe in momentum (small m!).

Possibly three home games in eight days - first two eminently winnable - Luton and Barnsley and my god do we need some home form!

Win those and that would send us into the MUFC game on a bit of a high. If we put out our best XI for that I'd give us a 10% shout of winning the tie (even if we only drew the game, Nameless) and the whole mood of the place would be transformed. Even a good showing in a loss against the men from Lancs would be alright.

Therefore for the Luton game I'd rest only Joao (Puscas) and Ejaria (Baldock) and maybe bring in McIntyre for Moore.

Despite the 0-5 Luton are no mugs - they made us look vulnerable at 0-0 in that game and they went on to stay up. So Velcro, put your top boys out.

Agree Luton are no mugs but they will rest players too and they run a small squad

Depends though, knowing ManU at home is awaiting the winners then that may mean both teams playing stronger than expected line ups

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 14 Sep 2020 14:20

Other than resting any minor injuries, I could understand if we went for a very strong team, even our best 11.

First, win again and momentum and morale will take a large hike upwards.

Up to now, I’ve always thought we are a confidence team. A third win could turn into 4-5-6, then who knows?

SECOND

I don’t know how much managers learn from training v games, but I feel sure that feedback from games is key. Would think Velcro would be tempted on that basis.

THIRD

The players are hardly “worn out” ATM

FOURTH

The immediate prize is Man Utd

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 14 Sep 2020 14:35

Nameless
WestYorksRoyal Can anyone help me understand if Meite is available for this? My understanding is a straight red is a 3 game ban. Does this apply across all domestic competitions? Or just league games? I'd like to see him play, along with the likes of Puscas and McIntyre. But would like to see a strong team, partly to progress but also to allow Paunovic to work with his best players more.

IT only applies to the first round of the Rumbelows cup, hence why he missed the Colchester game. It then applies to away league games but not if against Preston (as the first league champions). Midweek home games count In all competitions, Saturday games are included in odd months and a new rule allows players to nominate a session on FIFA as part of the suspension.
Meite being a non EU citizen complicates things as from January all bans must be served by British passport holders.
Bans cannot, from today, be served in groups of more than 6 except in Wales where Welsh players need only serve bans on non match days (FAW special ruling)
Hope that clears the confusion up.

What happens if you are a Cornish national and hold an Isle of Wight Passport?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Sep 2020 14:43

think we'll go near full strength. Would be tempted to give Joao a break of course. Otherwise everyone should be pretty fresh after the training session against Derby

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Sep 2020 14:55

We should be doing all we can to get ourselves out of this competition. Focus everything on the league, there is real potential for a push for the playoffs this season with the lack of crowds, think it will help our players both home and away.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 14 Sep 2020 15:02

Westwood52
Nameless
WestYorksRoyal Can anyone help me understand if Meite is available for this? My understanding is a straight red is a 3 game ban. Does this apply across all domestic competitions? Or just league games? I'd like to see him play, along with the likes of Puscas and McIntyre. But would like to see a strong team, partly to progress but also to allow Paunovic to work with his best players more.

IT only applies to the first round of the Rumbelows cup, hence why he missed the Colchester game. It then applies to away league games but not if against Preston (as the first league champions). Midweek home games count In all competitions, Saturday games are included in odd months and a new rule allows players to nominate a session on FIFA as part of the suspension.
Meite being a non EU citizen complicates things as from January all bans must be served by British passport holders.
Bans cannot, from today, be served in groups of more than 6 except in Wales where Welsh players need only serve bans on non match days (FAW special ruling)
Hope that clears the confusion up.

What happens if you are a Cornish national and hold an Isle of Wight Passport?

Straight to jail, do not collect your appearance bonus

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 14 Sep 2020 15:04

Hound think we'll go near full strength. Would be tempted to give Joao a break of course. Otherwise everyone should be pretty fresh after the training session against Derby

This. I expect Joao and Ejaria rested, plus 90 minutes for McIntyre. Maybe staff on the ground are aware of 1 or 2 others who could use a rest, but I wouldn't expect wholesale changes.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 14 Sep 2020 15:16

Hound think we'll go near full strength. Would be tempted to give Joao a break of course. Otherwise everyone should be pretty fresh after the training session against Derby

Good One!

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 14 Sep 2020 16:21

Team for me would be:

--------------------- Southwood --------------------
Araruna -- McIntyre -- Holmes -- Richards
--------------- Swift ------- Laurent ----------------
Olise -------------------------------------- Aluko
--------------- Baldock --- Puscas -----------------

With Olise, Baldock and Aluko tucking back when out of possession.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 14 Sep 2020 20:54

A lot of players who you may have expected to play for the u23s tonight haven't. So think we will see a young bench at least tomorrow, with a couple starting.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 14 Sep 2020 20:59

Stranded A lot of players who you may have expected to play for the u23s tonight haven't. So think we will see a young bench at least tomorrow, with a couple starting.

well-spotted

In truth, a weaker side and a defeat "doesn't matter"

but I'd love to win and have WWW on the books

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 15 Sep 2020 08:28

Snowball
Stranded A lot of players who you may have expected to play for the u23s tonight haven't. So think we will see a young bench at least tomorrow, with a couple starting.

well-spotted

Would be nice to have 3 positive results in a row, but if we do play a young side tonight and it is a battling defeat, say a hard fought 1-2 or 2-3, I am sure there are still positives to take from that, minutes like that can be valuable for them.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 15 Sep 2020 09:23

Hendo
Snowball

well-spotted

Would be nice to have 3 positive results in a row, but if we do play a young side tonight and it is a battling defeat, say a hard fought 1-2 or 2-3, I am sure there are still positives to take from that, minutes like that can be valuable for them.

Absolutely. I'd still like to win, though.

Looks like Luton are fielding a strong team

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 15 Sep 2020 09:38

Esteban
skipper Given the momentum we'd like to build, the get uine possibility of winning, if we field a good team, the fruits of our labour if we did win, I'd be fielding as strong a team as possible.

Echoing most people here, and resting key players Ejaria, João, but keeping the core there. We have Miete returning, so can easily swap out for the Barnsley game, so we kind of rotate over the course of two games, rather than one.

Keeps core of squad strong & playing together and hopefully results in some consistency for us.

Agreed, but given the current lack of experienced cover at left back, I'd include Richards in that list of key players.

Defintely our most pressing area that needs cover. Hope Richards can keep up for a whole season!

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Sep 2020 10:09

Snowball
Hendo
Snowball
well-spotted

Think it will be a strong team tonight, just not perhaps as strong as Saturday. Imagine Bristow will get another 90 and Araruna on the otherside - may even see McIntyre or Holmes at CB possibly both.

Question will be more up front - do you "risk" Joao or give Puscas a chance to show he can do a similar role.

Bench will be mostly kids with whicheve senior midfielder doesn't make the 11.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 15 Sep 2020 10:15

Stranded
Snowball
Hendo

Question will be more up front - do you "risk" Joao or give Puscas a chance to show he can do a similar role.

Nah, I'd 100% rest Joao.

248 posts