BFT Watford

158 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFT Watford

by Hound » 03 Oct 2020 17:17

Thing I liked best is it wasn’t backs to the wall defending as it would have been under Bowen. We continued to look to play and score and at a guess probably had as many attempts on goal as Watford in the 2nd half

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 03 Oct 2020 17:18

Simmops
Simmops
It wasn't a good performance.

Yes it was good

Okay well I'm glad we got there in the end

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 03 Oct 2020 17:18

Hound Thing I liked best is it wasn’t backs to the wall defending as it would have been under Bowen. We continued to look to play and score and at a guess probably had as many attempts on goal as Watford in the 2nd half

I liked the fact Watford had 21 crosses but only 5 found a Watford player. Shows how well we are defending.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 03 Oct 2020 17:20

Hound Thing I liked best is it wasn’t backs to the wall defending as it would have been under Bowen. We continued to look to play and score and at a guess probably had as many attempts on goal as Watford in the 2nd half

BBC reports

9 shots for Reading, 4 on target
11 shots for Watford, 2 on target
Last edited by Sutekh on 03 Oct 2020 17:21, edited 3 times in total.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Oct 2020 17:20

Correct, 4-4.

I think the difference is this side is playing really well, so can get forward and threaten more when under pressure, whereas Bowen's side just wasn't playing with the quality to attack well from defence late on.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 03 Oct 2020 17:23

Millsy Ok, we mean business. DO YOU BELIEVE NOW???

Cardiff will be the test, people said.

Watford will be the test, people said.

Playing without Joao will be the test, people said.

We didn't just beat this ex-PL side, we absolutely thoroughly dominated them and deserved this win. Ok they hit the crossbar, but it should have been 4-1 to us.

And Aluko playing brilliantly!? WTAF?

EVERY player fighting for EVERY ball ALL the time. 1-0 wasn't enough, right till the end we were upset not to get 2.

WTF guys!>??

Rafael - 6. Solid but nothing to do.
Moore - 7. A rock in defence
Morrison - 7. A rock in defence.
RIchards - 7 Played v well.
Holmes -6. I was going to give a 5 because i'm sorry but they clearly did their homework and were launching attack efetr attack down that side and we didn't look strong at all. In the first 10 3 very scary attacks down that side. But his attacking work was very good. An intelligent and physically strong player, will only get better. 7 for that, so an overall 6 from me
Rino - 7. Solid
Laurent - 7 Solid enough
Olise - 6. Talented player we all love, but I counted at least 3 times he lost the ball.
Little guy in midfield - 9. Not sure who the hell this was. Clueless Dellor kept calling him Aluko, but it definitely wasn't Aluko.
Meite - 8. Just a brilliant performance. Real thorn in their side.
Puscas - 8. Just what we wanted. Great Joao-esque goal, and holding up well, defending well, just brilliant.

SUBS

McIntyre - 7 Did very well, we looked much tougher when he came on, and did well going forwards too. Has he put on some muscle recently too? Looking much less scrawny.
Tetek - can't say really.

Pauno - 10. Sorry but there is no way this guy is NOT getting credit for this. The players are fighting like I've never seen before. They are positive like I've never seen before. They're trying out moves I've never seen before clearly from the training ground, which are looking very dangerous. The starting lineup clearly worked AGAIN. The sub raised an eyebrow or 2 but ultimately we ended up totally bossing the game and toughening things up when McIntyre came on.

This is the beginning of something special.

And what... without JOAO, SWIFT, and my boyfriend EJARIA. Really??

What's going on?

Please delete this.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 03 Oct 2020 17:23

Ascotexgunner I can't remember the last time we have picked up so many second or so many loose balls. The last few seasons we have always been second best. That's good management and good coaching.

Absolutely.

Screw everything else. We are fighting for EVERY ball like it's rightfully ours. I've never known us play like this so consistently.

I'll add to this and say I don't remember us doing so many intricate little triangles all over the place. Quick one touch passing knocking it around like Brazil. Definitely something Pauno has instilled.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 03 Oct 2020 17:23

Snowflake Royal

Correct, 4-4.

I think the difference is this side is playing really well, so can get forward and threaten more when under pressure, whereas Bowen's side just wasn't playing with the quality to attack well from defence late on.

Ian I know you're not keen to give Pauno too much credit, but I think there's a noticeable difference in the set up of the team as well. The pressing is organised, the formation is disciplined, and there's clearly been a lot of work on set pieces as we look a constant threat from some clear training ground moves.

Really good performance today. Watford were on top for the first 20 mins, but once we got a foothold and realised we could take them we ended up being deserving winners

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 03 Oct 2020 17:25

CountryRoyal
Millsy Ok, we mean business. DO YOU BELIEVE NOW???

Cardiff will be the test, people said.

Watford will be the test, people said.

Playing without Joao will be the test, people said.

We didn't just beat this ex-PL side, we absolutely thoroughly dominated them and deserved this win. Ok they hit the crossbar, but it should have been 4-1 to us.

And Aluko playing brilliantly!? WTAF?

EVERY player fighting for EVERY ball ALL the time. 1-0 wasn't enough, right till the end we were upset not to get 2.

WTF guys!>??

Rafael - 6. Solid but nothing to do.
Moore - 7. A rock in defence
Morrison - 7. A rock in defence.
RIchards - 7 Played v well.
Holmes -6. I was going to give a 5 because i'm sorry but they clearly did their homework and were launching attack efetr attack down that side and we didn't look strong at all. In the first 10 3 very scary attacks down that side. But his attacking work was very good. An intelligent and physically strong player, will only get better. 7 for that, so an overall 6 from me
Rino - 7. Solid
Laurent - 7 Solid enough
Olise - 6. Talented player we all love, but I counted at least 3 times he lost the ball.
Little guy in midfield - 9. Not sure who the hell this was. Clueless Dellor kept calling him Aluko, but it definitely wasn't Aluko.
Meite - 8. Just a brilliant performance. Real thorn in their side.
Puscas - 8. Just what we wanted. Great Joao-esque goal, and holding up well, defending well, just brilliant.

SUBS

McIntyre - 7 Did very well, we looked much tougher when he came on, and did well going forwards too. Has he put on some muscle recently too? Looking much less scrawny.
Tetek - can't say really.

Pauno - 10. Sorry but there is no way this guy is NOT getting credit for this. The players are fighting like I've never seen before. They are positive like I've never seen before. They're trying out moves I've never seen before clearly from the training ground, which are looking very dangerous. The starting lineup clearly worked AGAIN. The sub raised an eyebrow or 2 but ultimately we ended up totally bossing the game and toughening things up when McIntyre came on.

This is the beginning of something special.

And what... without JOAO, SWIFT, and my boyfriend EJARIA. Really??

What's going on?

Please delete this.

No.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 03 Oct 2020 17:27

Lower West Have we finally found a settled style of play?

I think it’s about balance. We aren’t giving the opposition many chances. Rino and Laurent are providing that balance.

JR

by JR » 03 Oct 2020 17:28

Simmops
genome Let's see if anyone's negative about that.

It wasn't a good performance.

But that's exactly what a winning team does.

No it wasn’t a good performance, it was a great performance.

Not many times have felt that proud of the commitment and desire of a Reading team.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 03 Oct 2020 17:29

winchester_royal
Snowflake Royal

Correct, 4-4.

Ian I know you're not keen to give Pauno too much credit, but I think there's a noticeable difference in the set up of the team as well. The pressing is organised, the formation is disciplined, and there's clearly been a lot of work on set pieces as we look a constant threat from some clear training ground moves.

Really good performance today. Watford were on top for the first 20 mins, but once we got a foothold and realised we could take them we ended up being deserving winners

He deserves plenty of credit. Just on attitude and commitment this is a very different Reading side. I would have loved to be at that game today. The crowd would really be getting behind this side. Lovely stuff.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Oct 2020 17:31

winchester_royal
Snowflake Royal

Correct, 4-4.

Think you've misunderstood a bit.
Snowflake Royal That's the first sign for me that Paunovic really is a quality manager. It's inarguable that he's got more from Aluko than any previous manager there, and Puscas has also come on leap and bounds. The squad is pretty much the same as last year, and we just beat a very good side without Joao, or a genuine RB and playing someone who has been binned by four previous managers.

And the work rate and belief in the team is looking special. Like McDermott / Coppell special

Credit where it's due. I think Laurent is a big factor in the improvement, but clearly Paunovic has to be too. I never thought Bowen set up to be negative, I just thought we weren't capable of doing more than holding on, the will was there to attack but the ability less so. That's changed and you can only put that change down to Laurent and Paunovic. Because they are the only difference.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 03 Oct 2020 17:32

Aluko was incredible.
Morro and Moore are so strong.
Richards is looking like an elite LB in the making. Genuinely.
Laurinomhota are a fantastic team.
Meite was solid again.
Puscas was excellent. Truly excellent.
McIntyre did so well out of position. Well done to him.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Oct 2020 17:33

McIntyre did a very good job in midfield as well when he came on
Having that 2 man base is absolutely key and Laurent and Rino have been fantastic this season so far

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 03 Oct 2020 17:34

Snowflake Royal
winchester_royal

Think you've misunderstood a bit.
Snowflake Royal That's the first sign for me that Paunovic really is a quality manager. It's inarguable that he's got more from Aluko than any previous manager there, and Puscas has also come on leap and bounds. The squad is pretty much the same as last year, and we just beat a very good side without Joao, or a genuine RB and playing someone who has been binned by four previous managers.

And the work rate and belief in the team is looking special. Like McDermott / Coppell special

Credit where it's due. I think Laurent is a big factor in the improvement, but clearly Paunovic has to be too. I never thought Bowen set up to be negative, I just thought we weren't capable of doing more than holding on, the will was there to attack but the ability less so. That's changed and you can only put that change down to Laurent and Paunovic. Because they are the only difference.

Apologies - hadn't seen that and was only dipping back in after reading a few of your posts a couple of weeks ago

JR

by JR » 03 Oct 2020 17:36

Brilliant, just brilliant.

Not because we destroyed the opposition, but because we came up against a high quality opponent, didn’t get overawed by their strong start, grew in to the game and absolutely deserved to win it despite significant injury problems.

The commitment and desire of all the players were fantastic - not seen that for a long time.

Pauno clearly impacting the team in many positive ways. One of which is the set pieces - there are plans worked on in detail and the players are executing - such as the free kick before our goal.

Finally, Aluko was just brilliant. Can’t remember him doing a single thing wrong. Played like Xavi with a bite.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 03 Oct 2020 17:37

Is the Laurent-Rinomhota partnership what we've been missing?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Oct 2020 17:40

genome Is the Laurent-Rinomhota partnership what we've been missing?

Basically yes. I think they are both cracking players and a great partnership

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 03 Oct 2020 17:40

genome Is the Laurent-Rinomhota partnership what we've been missing?

100% imo

158 posts