What has changed so much from last season?

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: What has changed so much from last season?

by Pepe the Horseman » 28 Oct 2020 15:47

Royals and Racers Have we anyone near a bookings suspension ?
Is it 5 bookings before the 19th matchweek ?

Yeh. Richards is on 3.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 28 Oct 2020 15:47

bcubed Lots of factors as people have said but if I had to say one in particular I’d say the signing of Laurent
He and Rinomhota are gelling perfectly and providing some substance to our previous lightweight midfield

This.

By strengthening and having these two guys essentially protecting the defence when we don't have the ball and dropping in as needed, it gives the defence more comfort to deal with the opposition - we are really getting overwhelmed as we have done over the past few years and it gives our attacking player the licence to pick off chances when the arise.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Oct 2020 17:27

Can I just say kudos to whoever coined Laurenimhota that's epic.

:lol:

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 28 Oct 2020 17:45

I don't dispute that various players have improved,
or that Laurent-Rhino is important, but IMO, (and I said
this after Colchester/Derby), the difference seems to
be attitude, more assertive, more proactive play,
winning more second balls, playing with greater
freedom (yet disciplined, neat trick) and MUCH better
dead-ball work. We are scoring goals that are clearly
straight off the training pitch. Morrison's goal, Joao's near post
score after a block, the clever free-kick by Olise v Rotherham,
which happened because Pauno had researched their keeper.

In all, I think it is Pauno.

Better research of opposition.
Better training-pitch routines, well executed in games
Good man-management, eg the post-game huddle that included crippled Ararauna
Good in-game strategy (eg rope a dope).
Discipline

He seems really sharp. We could see the quiet half-hour routine (rope a dope) and some mentioned that a Blackburn or Brentford, or Swansea/Norwich might score a couple while we are playing RaD... so the manager changes up and attacks Blackburn

Then (to me clearly) we shut up shop, went compact after HT when already 1-3 up, but as soon as Blackburn got back to 2-3 we started looking for the clinching fourth goal. So far we are managing games brilliantly.

And meanwhile we have broken the Madejski Hoodoo, four league wins, a cup win, whereas prior to our first Home League game we had won just ONE league game at home in 2020.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 28 Oct 2020 20:17

Sorry guys I've just realised it's because I've been drinking out of my Reading FC mug at work this season and it must be lucky.

Case closed. good speculation though, thanks for your interesting thoughts.

/thread

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 28 Oct 2020 20:38

Millsy Sorry guys I've just realised it's because I've been drinking out of my Reading FC mug at work this season and it must be lucky.

Case closed. good speculation though, thanks for your interesting thoughts.

/thread

I've been wearing my rfc y fronts aswell

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Oct 2020 20:44

The last time I didn't go to a single regular season game, we finished 3rd and got to the play off final.

The time before that we finished 2nd and got to the Play off final

The time before that we won the league (I think).

Admittedly for the latter 2 I hadn't been to a single live game ever anyway.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 28 Oct 2020 21:47

bcubed
bcubed
Forbury Lion [quote="Simmops"What has changed so much from last season?
No fans in the ground groaning and moaning when things don't go to plan and knocking player confidence.

Steve Coppell in the 106 season wasn't able to put his finger on the reasons for their success, I suspect the same can be said of our current great form.

Perhaps being typically modest?

Probably.

But 05/06 I know it was easier than now to see why it did but everything just clicked. I know it’s very early days this season but it does almost have that feeling so far that it’s just all clicking, but no idea why or whether it will continue of course

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 28 Oct 2020 21:51

Snowflake Royal The last time I didn't go to a single regular season game, we finished 3rd and got to the play off final.

Are you a late football supporter? Or just a late live game goer? Nothing wrong with either ofc.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 28 Oct 2020 22:02

We looked good last season when Joao was fit but toothless when he didn’t play, I get very much a Jason Roberts feeling about him, when he’s playing everyone plays better and when he isn’t there we dearly miss him. It’s very difficult to play against someone that is strong enough to battle many defenders as it is but unlike Roberts, also fast enough to beat them for pace.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Oct 2020 23:49

Simmops
Snowflake Royal The last time I didn't go to a single regular season game, we finished 3rd and got to the play off final.

Are you a late football supporter? Or just a late live game goer? Nothing wrong with either ofc.

I was 14 for my first live game, so fairly late. Over 25 years ago now.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Oct 2020 23:52

SouthDownsRoyal
bcubed
bcubed No fans in the ground groaning and moaning when things don't go to plan and knocking player confidence.

Steve Coppell in the 106 season wasn't able to put his finger on the reasons for their success, I suspect the same can be said of our current great form.

Perhaps being typically modest?

Probably.

But 05/06 I know it was easier than now to see why it did but everything just clicked. I know it’s very early days this season but it does almost have that feeling so far that it’s just all clicking, but no idea why or whether it will continue of course

I'd forgotten that Sheff U game we had Shorey, Murty, Sidwell and Kitson out. Arguably our three best players in that lot.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 29 Oct 2020 04:37

Simmops
Jagermesiter1871
Simmops
I highly doubt it. Crazy as it may sound but he would be a great fit for somebody like dortmund

Oyeh because Dai has a record of letting our most promising players go. Plus would be fairly stupid from Olise to leave at this stage when next year he could well be playing guaranteed Prem football as is unlikely we will look to strengthen in that position, compared to if he moved to a new Prem/Top div team having to fight his way into the side.

Money and fame and big teams talk.

But not now and for as long as we remain in contention for promotion with the prospect of him starting next season as an establish member of a top flight team rather than sat on Dortmund’s bench.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 29 Oct 2020 04:55

Snowball the clever free-kick by Olise v Rotherham,

That must have been some amazing research into their reserve team then as it was his first game for Rotherham's first team ... :D

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 29 Oct 2020 06:34

Royalwaster

That must have been some amazing research into their reserve team then as it was his first game for Rotherham's first team ... :D

Reporting what Olise himself said.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 29 Oct 2020 07:09

TiagoIlori We looked good last season when Joao was fit but toothless when he didn’t play, I get very much a Jason Roberts feeling about him, when he’s playing everyone plays better and when he isn’t there we dearly miss him. It’s very difficult to play against someone that is strong enough to battle many defenders as it is but unlike Roberts, also fast enough to beat them for pace.

This, plus some luck - Players are playing who might otherwise not get a game if Swift, Yiadom and others were fit and maybe that has changed the way we play and the balance of the team? Not that I have anything against these players but maybe having Swift and Ejaria playing at the same time isn't best for the team? - In a way it's like when Paul Clement only found out who the best goalkeeping option was when his first and second choice picks were injured and the 3rd choice came in.

The atmosphere is probably different too - It's a clean start, No Gunter/McLeary exclusions for example.

The main thing is confidence you self generate from winning, if you lose your first two games then suddenly the 3rd game is harder in your head and the manager is tempted to tinker to try and change the outcome. When you start winning you feel you can carry on winning, even if you concede goals, there would be no pressure from the board, the fans and probably not even from players not getting a game because it's hard to argue with the managers decision when the team is winning.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 29 Oct 2020 07:35

Royalwaster

Presume this is a whoosh?

Just checked and Blackman has made at least eight starts for Rotherham this season.

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 29 Oct 2020 07:36

Woodcote Royal
Simmops
Jagermesiter1871
Oyeh because Dai has a record of letting our most promising players go. Plus would be fairly stupid from Olise to leave at this stage when next year he could well be playing guaranteed Prem football as is unlikely we will look to strengthen in that position, compared to if he moved to a new Prem/Top div team having to fight his way into the side.

Money and fame and big teams talk.

But not now and for as long as we remain in contention for promotion with the prospect of him starting next season as an establish member of a top flight team rather than sat on Dortmund’s bench.

But that was what happened with Sidders. I always fear that happening to our best players.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Oct 2020 08:03

Snowball
Royalwaster

Just checked and Blackman has made at least eight starts for Rotherham this season.

Getting him confused with the Blackburn keeper I assume

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 29 Oct 2020 08:07

Hound
Snowball
Royalwaster

Getting him confused with the Blackburn keeper I assume

I didn't realise he still played for Chelsea.