439 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Bournemouth (a) sponsored by Jimmy Quinn

by Sutekh » 16 Nov 2020 17:02

When : Saturday 21 November 2020, 12.30pm
Where : Dean Court, Kings Park, Bournemouth, BH7 7AF
Capacity : 11,329 :shock:

Let’s get the cr@p out of the way first. Another game at a non standard kick off time, thanks to Sky, and sadly Reading have lost 3 of the last 3 games played at non standard kick off times. Also Reading have played 3 games live on Sky this year and lost the lot, plus the club will be hoping to avoid a 10th defeat from what will be the 14th game played on Sky since August 2017.

Bournemouth are one of the most fancied clubs to get promotion and an immediate return to the PL and have started the season well which isn’t all that surprising given the likes of Asmir Begovic, Arnat Groeneveld, Dominic Solanke, Chris Mepham and Lewis and Steve Cook are still at the club. Also doing very well, and pretty much an ever present so far, is right back Jack Stacey (whose departure was another happy moment to take from the tenure of Stam). Star player though is probably Welsh international David Brooks who is, sadly from Reading’s point of view, is now over his run of injuries.

The Cherries have been beaten just once in the league (by 1-0 at Sheffield Wednesday) and have won 3 of their 5 home games but have yet to really play many of the better sides in the division with a home win v Norwich and points at Middlesbrough and Cardiff being the perceived “hardest” of what they have had to face so far. Their last home game was a 1-1 with Derby so it would appear there are deficiencies to be had within the Bournemouth squad.

It is hoped the game will finally see the return of Ejaria and Meite to Reading’s injury hit squad but quite probably Liam Moore will still be missing so whether to play Gibson or McIntyre along side Morrison may well be the hardest decision for VP to make.

Given the nature of things reckon this one will be a 2-1 defeat with Reading conceding 2 late goals after taking an early (for them) lead. Why, well largely because a) it’s on Sky and b) Stacey and Riquelme are bound to score :lol:

Referee

It’s time for Reading’s monthly encounter with Bond, Darren Bond.

Previously....

17 Oct 20 > Middlesbrough 0-0 Reading
12 Sep 20 > Derby County 0-2 Reading
11 Jul 20 > Charlton Athletic 0-1 Reading
14 Jan 20 > Blackpool 0-2 Reading (FA Cup)
26 Nov 19 > Reading 0-1 Leeds United
10 Nov 18 > Reading 2-2 Ipswich Town
15 Sep 18 > Preston North End 2-3 Reading
03 Apr 18 > Aston Villa 3-0 Reading
20 Jan 17 > Reading 0-1 Brentford
30 Nov 17 > Reading 3-0 Barnsley
11 Feb 17 > Reading 0-0 Barnsley
13 Aug 16 > Wolverhampton Wanderers 2-0 Reading
14 Mar 15 > Watford 4-1 Reading
30 Aug 14 > Middlesbrough 0-1 Reading

Historically

Bournemouth are Reading’s most frequent league opponent with 104 previous meetings so Saturday is The Royals’ 53rd trip into Dorset for a fixture which usually ends badly.

Recent games have seen Reading struggle very badly with 2 draws being the best return from the last 7 league games played at any location. No points whatsoever have been managed from any of the last 4 games and Reading have conceded 3 on both of the last two visits to the coast.

Overall Reading have managed 11 wins at Dean Court while Bournemouth have 26 victories which leaves 15 occasions where the points have been shared.

Worst defeats at Bournemouth have been by 3 goals (4-1 on 3 occasions and 3-0 twice (including on the last visit)). Best victories have been by 3-0 on two occasions (the last being back in February 1985).

Finally history says that if Bournemouth score two or more then, unsurprisingly, Reading won’t win

How to follow the game

1. Live on Sky
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use an iFollow subscription (audio only)
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

Old Man Andrews

Re: MATCHWATCH : Bournemouth (a) sponsored by Jimmy Quinn

by Old Man Andrews » 17 Nov 2020 09:12

Darren Bond is technically a criminal.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 17 Nov 2020 10:37

Our toughest game of the season at the wrong time;after three defeats.At least they will have a go,and give us some space.Hopefully a couple of our walking wounded will be back.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 17 Nov 2020 10:54

This is the game that I had been waiting for when the fixtures were published and more so after we made such a good start.
Now I am glad that it is on TV and can turn over once the game has finished and watch the racing to take my mind off the performance and fortunately with lockdown will not have to talk to too many about the game and the outcome.

I do believe that Bournemouth, despite 3 significant sales, have the squad to win this division and only got relegated due to bad management.
When you have a £25million current Colombian international in centre midfield a £20 million striker, a Dutch winger who cost £16 million plus various others meaning a first team costing well in excess of £100 million it is likely that they will do ok at this level-not to get promoted would represent failure.

A fully fit squad for us would surely give them a good game but our record in recent years for injuries lasting so much longer than the initial forecasts makes me wary of who out of 3 of our best players in Moore, Meite and Ejaria will make it.
Although we haven't played them for 5 years the memory of Blackman & Co strolling around on a wet Tuesday night has stayed in the memory as well as them winning easily at our place on their way to promotion.

I have backed Bournemouth heavily to be promoted this season but would luv it (in a Keaganesque way) if the headlines in the local paper were on the lines of "Wake up call for The Cherries as they suffer their second league defeat of the season".

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 17 Nov 2020 15:17

Not looking forward to this game at all.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 17 Nov 2020 15:50

If Moore and Meite are back I think it will be a close game, if not, particularly Moore, I think Bournemouth will look comfortable and most likely win.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Nov 2020 17:26

Need at least a draw here really or it's 4 on the bounce, including a chance to regroup over an international break. It'd be hard to see how we can recover to sustain a promotion push after that and not just slip into obscurity.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 17 Nov 2020 18:00

South Coast Royal This is the game that I had been waiting for when the fixtures were published and more so after we made such a good start.
Now I am glad that it is on TV and can turn over once the game has finished and watch the racing to take my mind off the performance and fortunately with lockdown will not have to talk to too many about the game and the outcome.

I do believe that Bournemouth, despite 3 significant sales, have the squad to win this division and only got relegated due to bad management.
When you have a £25million current Colombian international in centre midfield a £20 million striker, a Dutch winger who cost £16 million plus various others meaning a first team costing well in excess of £100 million it is likely that they will do ok at this level-not to get promoted would represent failure.

A fully fit squad for us would surely give them a good game but our record in recent years for injuries lasting so much longer than the initial forecasts makes me wary of who out of 3 of our best players in Moore, Meite and Ejaria will make it.
Although we haven't played them for 5 years the memory of Blackman & Co strolling around on a wet Tuesday night has stayed in the memory as well as them winning easily at our place on their way to promotion.

I have backed Bournemouth heavily to be promoted this season but would luv it (in a Keaganesque way) if the headlines in the local paper were on the lines of "Wake up call for The Cherries as they suffer their second league defeat of the season".

Good points but will Columbian/Dutch internationals be up for 12 games in 6 weeks and midweek away trips to Barnsley/Rotherham etc?

They've had some iffy results already and are still suspect at the back even in this league; not a shoe in for promotion in my view

Hope they don't go up anyway - their fans think they belong in the premier league now after just 3 seasons and probably 80 in the bottom leagues before that

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 17 Nov 2020 23:25

Our system is better suited to playing away from home and i'm sure that at least two of either Meite, Moore and Ejaria will be fit. I really hope Moore is fit, he has been the biggest loss and Bournmouth will cause us issues i'm sure.
However, if Meite is fit and Joao is on his game then we can score goals. My head says a draw is a very good result however, i suspect a 2-1 defeat.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Nov 2020 08:20

I’m reasonably confident. I expect the 3 main men will be back and we should be able to cause them problems

Hopefully they’ll underestimate us a bit

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 18 Nov 2020 08:25

We are going to get battered. The wheels are off and we will drop down the league like a stone.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 18 Nov 2020 09:05

+1

We are in freefall. Continue like this and we are in real trouble.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 18 Nov 2020 10:03

5 substitutions are now allowed in Championship games.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 18 Nov 2020 10:17

Old Man Andrews 5 substitutions are now allowed in Championship games.

Given Bournemouth's squad depth compared to ours, this couldn't really have come at a worse time.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Nov 2020 10:24

Pepe the Horseman

Given Bournemouth's squad depth compared to ours, this couldn't really have come at a worse time.

dunno depends who is back fit. We could well have a bench with Baldock, Yiadom, Semedo, Aluko, Puscas, McIntyre or something similar

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 18 Nov 2020 10:45

Fair enough. England about the only major league not already doing it.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 18 Nov 2020 11:55

Old Man Andrews We are going to get battered. The wheels are off and we will drop down the league like a stone.

You on twitter under the name EP-80 by any chance?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 18 Nov 2020 11:57

NewCorkSeth
Old Man Andrews We are going to get battered. The wheels are off and we will drop down the league like a stone.

You on twitter under the name EP-80 by any chance?

No. I am on Twitter as me.

Whoever that is has sent racist abuse to people I am friendly with so if you're accusing me of being that particular person I would suggest you cease pretty quickly and never mention me and them in the same conversation again.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 18 Nov 2020 12:07

Hound
Pepe the Horseman

dunno depends who is back fit. We could well have a bench with Baldock, Yiadom, Semedo, Aluko, Puscas, McIntyre or something similar

FWIW Bournemouth's bench might include most of these (with approx transfer costs):
Diego Rico-£10 million
Chris Mepham -£8 million
Lloyd Kelly-£10 million
Phil Billing £16 million
Arnat Danjuna-£16 million
Cameron Carter-Vickers USA int. on loan from Spurs
Riquelme-the winger we had on trial

We of course have Aluko. :cry:

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 18 Nov 2020 12:10

Mid Sussex Royal
South Coast Royal This is the game that I had been waiting for when the fixtures were published and more so after we made such a good start.

Good points but will Columbian/Dutch internationals be up for 12 games in 6 weeks and midweek away trips to Barnsley/Rotherham etc?

They've had some iffy results already and are still suspect at the back even in this league; not a shoe in for promotion in my view

Hope they don't go up anyway - their fans think they belong in the premier league now after just 3 seasons and probably 80 in the bottom leagues before that

They have 2 wins in 7, it's hardly frightening form at all (albeit they rarely lose)

We've been the better team in our last three defeats, we're top of the league, and we may have some of our key injured players back. Plenty of room for optimism

439 posts