BFS - Bristol City (H)

209 posts
Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFS - Bristol City (H)

by Zip » 29 Nov 2020 19:57

I was very critical of Clement during his time in charge but he was the one who backed Meite and felt he had something about him and he was right.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Nov 2020 20:06

Zip I was very critical of Clement during his time in charge but he was the one who backed Meite and felt he had something about him and he was right.

We've got a fair amount to thank Clement for, given the short period he was here.

- keeping us up
- backing Meite
- bringing Rino through
- signing Yiadom

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 29 Nov 2020 20:47

Snowflake Royal
Zip I was very critical of Clement during his time in charge but he was the one who backed Meite and felt he had something about him and he was right.

We've got a fair amount to thank Clement for, given the short period he was here.

- keeping us up
- backing Meite
- bringing Rino through
- signing Yiadom

^^ yep

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Nov 2020 21:25

I look back on Clement far more fondly than Stam season 2 to be honest

He obviously wasn’t great but started the turnaround from an absolute mess

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 29 Nov 2020 22:05

CountryRoyal
RoyalBlue
Hound Half watching the game on replay. Couple of things

The Martin foul was utterly premeditated. Nasty piece of work

He'll need to be careful in the next few games as the officials will now be looking out for that sort of behaviour, given how it was highlighted on the TV.

Dunno. If you ask me most officials are too incompetent to see what’s in front of them there and then, without trying to think of something that happened before :wink:

There's some truth in that. I do recall some refs in the past (normally post retirement!) saying that they took the trouble to get familiar with players and their 'style of play', so that they could be on the look out for any little tricks they might pull!

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 29 Nov 2020 22:12

Moore did well not to lose it with Martin. That was a spiteful little act.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 30 Nov 2020 07:19

Zip Moore did well not to lose it with Martin. That was a spiteful little act.

Wasn't Martin one of the guys Moore questioned in an interview with one of the supporter led podcasts? I forget exactly which one. I am sure he criticised the loan players we brought in in the last couple of seasons.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Nov 2020 07:25

I think by implication rather than explicitly

Have it in my head they had some sort of bust up last year it and when they played against each other

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Nov 2020 09:09

Snowflake Royal

- keeping us up
- backing Meite
- bringing Rino through
- signing Yiadom

If we thank Clement for that stuff do we thank Gomes for:
- Keeping us up
- Rafael
- Lucas Joao
- Bringing through Olise
?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Nov 2020 09:11

of course we do. he deserves some credit certainly. Doesn't stop either of their spells being disappointing overall though

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 30 Nov 2020 09:15

As others have said, it was a really enjoyable watch on Saturday, I don't particularly like the early kick-offs but when you win, it really sets your weekend up nicely! I think had it been under normal circumstances, I would've been having a few beers on the way back to London after a win like that!

First half - I thought it was pretty even, tbh. Neither team really created any "clear-cut" chances, however Meite had another acrobatic effort, which was saved really well by their 'keeper. But I think 0-0 at half time was probably fair.

Second half - we seemed to really step it up a bit and that probably coincided with them changing formations. We looked threatening every time we went forward, and it was only thanks to their 'keeper that the scorline was respectable in the end (and maybe Meite's inability to score an open goal from about 6 yards out...).

Ref had a bit of a shocker, as I mentioned earlier, I think the first yellow was probably fair, but you have seen them given for that and Laurent helps the guy out big time by getting out of the way. The second one, was 100% a red card and an outright dirty challenge by Martin. There were also a few free-kicks that were pretty soft, 1 in the first half where I think Moore got the ball and it should've been a corner and a couple in the second half involving Laurent. The goal... yeah it was offside, but its close so I don't want to give the Lino too much of a hard time on that one, but I would've liked him to err on the side of caution :wink:

Rafael - didn't have too much to do, I don't blame him for the goal at all really, he's only a split second out of making Wells miss and another day, he does that. Thought his kicking was better and there was a clear change not to always play it out from the back, or certainly not to play those kicks where it only goes halfway to the halfway line! Either it goes short or it goes long, nothing in-between, which I'm fine with tbh. If it goes long, up to the half-way line and we don't win it, there is a much better chance of us winning the second ball, but those medium kicks really seem to put us on the back foot.

Defenders - all did their jobs and all played really well, Holmes unlucky not to score and have an assist, Morrison should've really done better with that.

Rhino & Laurent - thought they looked back to their best today, breaking up play and driving us forward. Building an excellent partnership and really seem to complement each other.

Meite, Olise & Ejaria - can't complain when all your advanced midfielders contribute to goals. Meite was excellent for his goal and for the 3rd goal (as I mentioned on another thread), although should've scored the first 1-on-1 chance he had and the header, so could've easily been another hatrick for him. The assist from Olise was unreal, we certainly do have a little gem of a player on our hands, I'd like him to go a little bit more under the radar for a little bit longer though.... Ejaria played well, especially in the second half, fortunate with the goal, but you take it. Had one Cruyff turn on the sideline to a) keep the ball in and b) turn the defender, it was magical and that's what you pay your money for, bits of magic like that that stick with you nearly 2 days later.

Joao - what more can you say. Best all-round striker we've had since Kitson for me. Strong, good in the air, good with his feet, creates chances out of nothing and is a genuine goal scorer. Transfermarkt has his fee at £4.8m, which I think would include some add-ons but if he keeps this up, it'll look like a oxf*rd steal.

Looking forward to Wednesday now and hopefully we can continue this up-tick in form.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Nov 2020 09:17

Hound of course we do. he deserves some credit certainly. Doesn't stop either of their spells being disappointing overall though

Its the disappointment that sticks with me. Maybe I am guilty of over rating our squad at times but all I remember is the crashing and burning. A trend I hope Pauno can buck.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Nov 2020 09:20

NewCorkSeth
Hound of course we do. he deserves some credit certainly. Doesn't stop either of their spells being disappointing overall though

Its the disappointment that sticks with me. Maybe I am guilty of over rating our squad at times but all I remember is the crashing and burning. A trend I hope Pauno can buck.

I certainly think Gomes had more to work with than Clement. Though PC did get a bit of cash for a couple of signings that didnt work out in fairness. Pretty awful times under both really

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Nov 2020 09:22

Hound
NewCorkSeth

I certainly think Gomes had more to work with than Clement. Though PC did get a bit of cash for a couple of signings that didnt work out in fairness. Pretty awful times under both really

Thats fair.

Out of Stam, Clement, Clarke and Gomes, who do we think is actually the best manager? I'm not including Brian or Adkins in this because I reckon they might be.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Nov 2020 09:26

NewCorkSeth
Hound
NewCorkSeth Its the disappointment that sticks with me. Maybe I am guilty of over rating our squad at times but all I remember is the crashing and burning. A trend I hope Pauno can buck.

Thats fair.

Out of Stam, Clement, Clarke and Gomes, who do we think is actually the best manager? I'm not including Brian or Adkins in this because I reckon they might be.

tough one that. Stam for me did both the best and the worst. Second season was an utter shambles of a horror show which has cost the club very dearly, but can't argue with a 3rd place. Think Clement was ok, had the right ideas but was uninspiring, didnt seem to motivate the team and maybe not strong enough to deal with the big squad issues. Gomes did a short term job but think he was idealistic rather than realistic and struggled badly when things went against him

Clarke I liked and shame he did the whole Fulham thing. Would have been interesting to see where we'd have ended up with him

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 30 Nov 2020 09:59

Yep agreed.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 30 Nov 2020 10:05

Anyone have any idea why Ejaria looked so pissed off after scoring and also after Meite's goal?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Nov 2020 10:15

Stranded Anyone have any idea why Ejaria looked so pissed off after scoring and also after Meite's goal?

just being a bit too cool for school I think

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Nov 2020 10:29

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal

- keeping us up
- backing Meite
- bringing Rino through
- signing Yiadom

If we thank Clement for that stuff do we thank Gomes for:
- Keeping us up
- Rafael
- Lucas Joao
- Bringing through Olise
?

Not sure how involved I transfers Gomes was, but probably that and a bit more.

The main thing would be a more positive vibe and feel good factor amongst fans.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Nov 2020 10:31

Hound
NewCorkSeth
Hound

Thats fair.

tough one that. Stam for me did both the best and the worst. Second season was an utter shambles of a horror show which has cost the club very dearly, but can't argue with a 3rd place. Think Clement was ok, had the right ideas but was uninspiring, didnt seem to motivate the team and maybe not strong enough to deal with the big squad issues. Gomes did a short term job but think he was idealistic rather than realistic and struggled badly when things went against him

Clarke I liked and shame he did the whole Fulham thing. Would have been interesting to see where we'd have ended up with him

Stam > Clarke (prick) > Clement > Gomes > Stam

209 posts