BFS - Bristol City (H)

209 posts
CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

BFS - Bristol City (H)

by CountryRoyal » 28 Nov 2020 15:10

Thought that was an all round excellent performance, very organised and thoroughly well deserved.

We cancelled each other out first half with Bristol City’s defensive and much lamented 3-5-2. We offered them absolutely nothing but had a few chances ourselves. Think talk of them “not being at the races” and a “poor performance from Bristol” doesn’t give us enough credit. We were very organised and with the excellent Holmes back in at RB, our defensive shape is so much better and solid. We’re not an out and out pressing team, we’re happy to sit off and let them have the ball and fill in the gaps and then press occasionally when we think it’s on. I think this suits us but it does it require you’re back line to be quality and not make any little silly mistakes - which we succeeded in today.

Second half and once they went for it we just picked them off and had so much more joy in an attacking sense, whilst we still remained pretty solid at the back. Thought everyone played really well and put a good shift in.

Think both of those challenges were reds and their goal clearly offside so justice served. Olise was excellent and his delivery very good. In fact all the front four were on their game, Ejaria quality in the second half.

Classic Meite scoring the harder chance but missing the sitter! Played well, Joao put more of a shift in too it seemed and well rewarded with his well taken goal, he honestly looks too good for this level at times.

So nice to be able to able to play well AND win. Can’t really find any faults with the display, good feeling today!

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: BFS - Bristol City (H)

by Franchise FC » 28 Nov 2020 15:15

Not watched much this season for a variety of reasons and expected Ejaria to be slowing stuff down but none of it.

Holmes pretty good defensively, Olise different class and how the hell can anyone keep Joao quiet - he scores when he wants

I’ll leave it to others to mark individually

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 28 Nov 2020 15:18

Big shout out to Miete as well for his part in Jaoa’s goal. One of my mates had just texted me to say he looked tired and the next minute he hares up the wing riding challenges and lays on a great ball.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 28 Nov 2020 15:18

Franchise FC Not watched much this season for a variety of reasons and expected Ejaria to be slowing stuff down but none of it.

Holmes pretty good defensively, Olise different class and how the hell can anyone keep Joao quiet - he scores when he wants

I’ll leave it to others to mark individually

Best Ejaria performance this season tbf

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 28 Nov 2020 15:19

Disagree with either Bristol City foul being a red card. First one was two footed but not a lunge or the player being out of control. He knew he'd made an error going with 2 feet and slowed down imo.
Chris Martin's was just a bad foul from an awful, lazy striker. Both justified yellows for me.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 28 Nov 2020 15:23

First half organised and compact. City didn’t have a single shot.
Second half we ripped them apart with some absolutely delightful football.
The back four were all excellent. I’m not worried about Holmes not being creative. We have more than enough creativity further up the field. He looks really solid and was unlucky not to score with a thumping header.
I thought Olise was quiet in the first half but improved as the game wore on and his pass to Yaks was stunning following great work from Ovie. He also put in some excellent set pieces.

Rinomhota and Laurent were terrific. They worked their nuts off and won the second balls. Ovie was terrific in the second half. He scored and played his part in the second goal.
Yaks really should have scored at least a hat-trick but he scored and a great asssist at the end.

Joao was something else. His work-rate was so much better today. His general play was terrific and he got a richly deserved goal. That second half is the standard we need to aim for going forward.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 28 Nov 2020 15:26

Old Man Andrews Disagree with either Bristol City foul being a red card. First one was two footed but not a lunge or the player being out of control. He knew he'd made an error going with 2 feet and slowed down imo.
Chris Martin's was just a bad foul from an awful, lazy striker. Both justified yellows for me.

The first could have gone either way but I think letter of the law he’s gone. VAR and he’s off imho.

Second one is a clear red if the ref sees. It’s cynical and he’s stamped on the back of us ankle with his studs. It was violent and no attempt at the ball.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 28 Nov 2020 15:34

CountryRoyal
Old Man Andrews Disagree with either Bristol City foul being a red card. First one was two footed but not a lunge or the player being out of control. He knew he'd made an error going with 2 feet and slowed down imo.

The first could have gone either way but I think letter of the law he’s gone. VAR and he’s off imho.

Second one is a clear red if the ref sees. It’s cynical and he’s stamped on the back of us ankle with his studs. It was violent and no attempt at the ball.

Yep agreed.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 28 Nov 2020 15:35

CountryRoyal

Second one appalling challenge. Can't think of a reason not to send him off tbh

First one also dangerous although not as clear cut . Wouldn't have argued if one of ours got a red for that

marlowuk

by marlowuk » 28 Nov 2020 15:49

Not sure if someone has already mentioned this but the City Fans Forum preceded their discussions on the game with a 'summary' of their opponents. I have never seen such a comprehensive essay on our team by an opposition website before!! If you haven't done so yet, take a look at - https://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/209770-reading-%E2%80%93-sat-28th%C2%A0november-1230-%E2%80%93-what-can-we-expect/

It's only failing is that it concludes that Bristol will beat us 2 - 0!!

BraisingsteakRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by BraisingsteakRoyal » 28 Nov 2020 15:55

marlowuk Not sure if someone has already mentioned this but the City Fans Forum preceded their discussions on the game with a 'summary' of their opponents. I have never seen such a comprehensive essay on our team by an opposition website before!! If you haven't done so yet, take a look at - https://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/209770-reading-%E2%80%93-sat-28th%C2%A0november-1230-%E2%80%93-what-can-we-expect/

Wow - that guy must be on furlough. Top work, and thanks for sharing.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Nov 2020 15:58

marlowuk Not sure if someone has already mentioned this but the City Fans Forum preceded their discussions on the game with a 'summary' of their opponents. I have never seen such a comprehensive essay on our team by an opposition website before!! If you haven't done so yet, take a look at - https://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/209770-reading-%E2%80%93-sat-28th%C2%A0november-1230-%E2%80%93-what-can-we-expect/

Yep that’s ridiculously in depth. Good though

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 28 Nov 2020 15:58

Frankly, that analysis is the best thing to come out of Brizzle today.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 28 Nov 2020 15:59

Thought "Oh no, not again" when Nakhi Wells scored but we just upped our game once more and came out comfortable winners.

The other "oh no" moment was when Moore went down holding his throat-memories of Super Trevor Senior getting struck in the same area v Bristol City.
Fortunately Moore recovered and finished the game strongly.

A very good all-round performance and I have warmed to Holmes at right-back and although he might not be great going forward he does his primary job (defending) well and produced 2 really good moments in their box from set-pieces.

The starting eleven now looks right and balanced bearing in mind the players available.
BTW the 3 of Olise, Ejaria and Richards all look as though they enjoy playing together with each of them knowing that any of the other 2 has a brilliant first touch for players at this level.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 28 Nov 2020 16:00

Zip First half organised and compact. City didn’t have a single shot.
Second half we ripped them apart with some absolutely delightful football.
The back four were all excellent. I’m not worried about Holmes not being creative. We have more than enough creativity further up the field. He looks really solid and was unlucky not to score with a thumping header.
I thought Olise was quiet in the first half but improved as the game wore on and his pass to Yaks was stunning following great work from Ovie. He also put in some excellent set pieces.

Rinomhota and Laurent were terrific. They worked their nuts off and won the second balls. Ovie was terrific in the second half. He scored and played his part in the second goal.
Yaks really should have scored at least a hat-trick but he scored and a great asssist at the end.

Joao was something else. His work-rate was so much better today. His general play was terrific and he got a richly deserved goal. That second half is the standard we need to aim for going forward.

+1
The scoreline really flattered Bristol. We should have scored 2 or 3 more but for Bentley and Meite's incredible miss. Theirs was never a foul and offside.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Nov 2020 16:03

Thought that second half was as good a display as I can remember in recent times. Absolutely tore them to bits whilst looking solid at the back

First half was good as well. Solid defensively and had a few chances

Back 4 all did their jobs but Richards is a class act both at the back and going forwards. Please get him signed up

Laurent was superb again. Fanstastic signing. Only let down by some absolutely appalling free kick decisions against him.

Front 4 all top notch. Joao absolutely unplayable and is a class above any striker I’ve watched this season

Overall I hope it’s put a lot of the concerns about the side to rest. Pauno’s tactics good and he had organised the side well. We’re a young side who will make mistakes but overall we look pretty good

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 28 Nov 2020 16:04

Some things never change. We're playing better, are higher in the table and are winning more games. But Tomlin and Wells have still both found a way of scoring against us this year.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 28 Nov 2020 16:07

Decent game - slow tempo at times but we’re good to watch which makes a change from previous seasons.

Meite makes a big difference to this team as he’s another goal outlet, which then means the opposition have to cover both him and Joao. The 3rd goal was top drawer.

MOTM for me was Richards once again, who is reading the game really well now and is really good at getting out of tight spots.

Holmes too is showing he is a valuable asset - who would’ve thought he’d play more than McIntyre at the start of the season. Great progress and another good product from our academy.

Rino & Laurent looking tired though - I’m a big fan of both but each need a game off in turn very shortly.

Not convinced Brizzle got their tactics right today - Martin & Wells would’ve posed us a bigger threat today

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 28 Nov 2020 16:09

Also, kudos to Pauno who seems to be the first manager in years to make decisions which are quite obviously right. Dropping Esteves after Bournemouth and bringing in Olise after Millwall were screamingly obvious decisions, but so many managers seem incapable of doing what should be easy.

Rax

by Rax » 28 Nov 2020 16:13

OMA you're clearly trolling!

The first was two footed albeit low - Martin's was disgraceful, a definite red!

209 posts