How good is Yakou Meite?

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: How good is Yakou Meite?

by South Coast Royal » 29 Nov 2020 10:53

Our other strikers, Puscas and Baldock offer so little when compared to Joao and Meite that it is vital that these two stay fit.
Meite has improved so much since his loan spell and great credit must go to whoever at the club saw the potential in him when he first came to us -most of us certainly didn't.

Fortunately for us he does look a bit awkward and has no great right foot so the bigger clubs might well be reluctant to consider him.
As others have said, he was one of the few bright sparks last season and has become a key player, something that seemed unlikely 3 years ago.

Any other French players over there who showed early ability but ditched by one of the bigger clubs?
Has Meite got any maties?

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 29 Nov 2020 11:20

We’ve got Meite
Yakou Meite

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 29 Nov 2020 12:26

Millsy We’ve got Meite
Yakou Meite

...I just don`t think you understand,
we signed him on a free from PSG.
we,ve got Yakou Meite.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 29 Nov 2020 12:35

Franchise FC
WestYorksRoyal
Hendo
Agree with this, the 3rd goal from yesterday shows that. Has the intelligence to run down the line and try to run the clock out but then realises that Joao is unmarked in the box ready to put the game beyond doubt.

I agree, but I'd also say it's where we've seen the most progression in the past year. 18 months ago he'd have made the 90th minute dash upfield, but wasted the position with his final ball. His decision making is so much improved and he really is maximising his talent.

If, if, if I know, but if Joao doesn’t make that intelligent run it may well have been Yak giving the ball away cheaply.

One did, one didn’t and the rest is now history

Yak is the Dean Horrix of this team to Joao’s Trevor Senior

Would he have played the pass if it wasn’t on? I think he’d have held it in the corner.

Meite doesn’t have the elegance of Little or McCleary or even later Kebe, but his raw effectiveness, industry, and eye for goal make up for that. He nicely balanced Ejaria - you could hardly imagine two more contrasting players.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 29 Nov 2020 13:10

One Beer is never enough. His work rate, particularly this season has been phenomenal - especially working back and covering his full-back. He isn't the most technically gifted of players, but he gives his all and you can't ask much more than that, especially when he has an end product as wll.

Agreed. And his superb work rate was typified by the way he set up our third goal right at the death. Not only did he work hard to chase the ball down but he then took it past the defender and, rather than settling for a throw, kept the ball in play and pushed forwards with great pace before waiting for Joao to arrive in support (even gesticulating whilst he waited). Most players at that stage in the game would've just knocked the ball deep into the opponents' half or settled for a throw when the defender challenged.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 29 Nov 2020 13:38

Steady on Meite at this level is very very good;his goal scoring record speaks for itself;plus he is very good at winning the ball in the air and putting bruises on the toughest defenders.However we saw the best and worst of him yesterday;having made Jao s goal,plus extracting a good save on the turn,that missed header into an open goal highlights his technical deficiencies.
There have been recent seasons,when in all honesty I doubt we had one player with Prem potential.Now Jao,Olise and Richards would all be in with a shout.Plus a really good coach might be able to do something with Ejaria.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 29 Nov 2020 15:17

Westwood52 Steady on Meite at this level is very very good;his goal scoring record speaks for itself;plus he is very good at winning the ball in the air and putting bruises on the toughest defenders.However we saw the best and worst of him yesterday;having made Jao s goal,plus extracting a good save on the turn,that missed header into an open goal highlights his technical deficiencies.
There have been recent seasons,when in all honesty I doubt we had one player with Prem potential.Now Jao,Olise and Richards would all be in with a shout.Plus a really good coach might be able to do something with Ejaria.

It's right to balance the over-enthusiasm/hype. However, when it comes to missing sitters, Joao too has been guilty of that on occasions. Like great keepers, great strikers make mistakes too!

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 29 Nov 2020 15:20

Yeah we always have this Meite. When he scores he’s the absolutely brilliant and the second coming but when he doesn’t he’s a technically limited donkey and offers nothing to the team etc etc etc

Think westwoods post sums it up nicely. The thing with Meite which many of us (including myself) might have taken for granted is the work for the team he does even if he doesn’t contribute to a goal. I think we found that out the hard way with his injury this season. So good to have him back.

Plus how can you not love his passion!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Nov 2020 17:30

CountryRoyal Yeah we always have this Meite. When he scores he’s the absolutely brilliant and the second coming but when he doesn’t he’s a technically limited donkey and offers nothing to the team etc etc etc

Think westwoods post sums it up nicely. The thing with Meite which many of us (including myself) might have taken for granted is the work for the team he does even if he doesn’t contribute to a goal. I think we found that out the hard way with his injury this season. So good to have him back.

Only if you're an idiot who doesn't understand football.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Nov 2020 17:45

Think partly the problem with Meite is when he has a bad game he can look very very bad rather than just fade and disappear. Which is a credit to the fact he keeps trying and doesn’t hide

But even on a bad day he’ll do his fair share of defensive work etc

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 29 Nov 2020 20:21

Snowflake Royal
CountryRoyal Yeah we always have this Meite. When he scores he’s the absolutely brilliant and the second coming but when he doesn’t he’s a technically limited donkey and offers nothing to the team etc etc etc

Well HNA?! is full of those!

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 29 Nov 2020 20:23

CountryRoyal
Snowflake Royal

Name names CR or forever be damned.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 29 Nov 2020 20:46

Top scorer two season running and undefeated this season when he starts

Basically I love him :)

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 29 Nov 2020 20:51

In years to come he will be regarded as a Reading FC legend imo.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 29 Nov 2020 20:57

Zip In years to come he will be regarded as a Reading FC legend imo.

Don't think we'll be waiting long

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Nov 2020 21:05

CountryRoyal
Snowflake Royal

Preach.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 29 Nov 2020 21:07

The two idiots in chief are talking to eachother above.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Nov 2020 21:15

And as if the word idiot is a summons.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 29 Nov 2020 21:23

Snowflake Royal And as if the word idiot is a summons.

Watch your mouth. Be clever.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 29 Nov 2020 21:32

Zip
CountryRoyal
Snowflake Royal Only if you're an idiot who doesn't understand football.

Name names CR or forever be damned.

That CountryRoyal fella doesn’t seem up to much.