MATCHWATCH : Brentford (a) sponsored by injury problems

270 posts
CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Brentford (a) sponsored by injury problems

by CountryRoyal » 17 Dec 2020 15:51

Expect similar to last night, a committed performance with moments of quality in the middle of the park but ultimately very little in the way of chances and another loss. Just hope we can keep it to one or two goals and not let our goal difference suffer too much.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 17 Dec 2020 15:53

Hound
Stranded
Hound
Not sure its been derailed as such - still in 5th. Just going to have to scrape through until we get some forwards back and I think the Play offs are still definitely a possibility

When you look at the depth of our squad compared to the likes of Norwich, Bournemouth and Watford, it was always going to be a struggle to get higher than that

It is literally no coincidence that the top 3 are the relegated sides - they have bigger squads where the back-ups would probably improve a decent percentage of other sides first teams.

I've not always subscribed to the parachute payment being an issue, but it does really feel like those 3 teams have a massive advantage over everyone else this year. Even a team like Brentford who you think would be very strong after selling 45m worth of players and reinvesting some well, look at a distinct disadvantage if they get a few injuries

Said it all when Norwich had Cantwell on Hugill coming on really. I think they've played the game well tbh, went up, pocketed the money, sold a couple for a decent amount, and now they are sitting pretty with a shed load of cash in their pocket, and a young side with plenty of further sellable assets

It does seem unusual that this year the relegated prem sides have retained far more of their better players than perhaps they would have done in any other season.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Dec 2020 16:33

Hound
URZZZZ Rafael

Esteves
Holmes
Morrison
Moore
Gibson

Laurent
Rinomhota

Olise
Ejaria

Baldock

Walker Watson Bristow McIntyre East Onen Aluko Semedo Melvin Lambert

Similar to what Bowen was trying in pre season, not exactly blessed with attacking options at the moment

yeah I'd go with that team. Aluko didn't offer too much and Baldock should be starting

Don't let zip see that

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 17 Dec 2020 18:20

We are down to our last forward, and that last forward cannot play the lone striker role which clearly isnt his fault i guess. So we either play the false 9 system with no striker (However, we're not skillful like Spain so don't go there) or we play two up top to play to Baldock's strengths i guess.
Maybe Aluko could play the second striker but i doubt it, what is this Melvin Lambert like? he's scored 4 in three games for the U18s!! sounds like he knows where the net is and he's 18 yrs old which isn't that young these days.
Let's be honest, we play Brentford next and there's not a hope of holding these guys to a goaless draw lol.

So i would be bold a go for a 5-3-2, of:
Holmes, Morrison, Moore (Back Three)
Esteves & Gibson (Wing Backs)
Ejaria, Laurent, Olise (Midfield with Laurent staying deep to proctect the back three & also to give Rino a rest)
Melvin Lambert & Baldock (Forwards, Aluko to replace Melvin Lambert if it doesn't work out)

This would give us a strong back three, which will become a back five when Brentford have the ball. When we attack, Esteves and Gibson can support the attack.
Laurent will play the holding midfield role and protecting the back three, and Olise and Ejaria can do their thing.
And i guess with Lambert and Baldock, well they'll just have to do their best to cause some sort of threat to their defence.

Let's be honest, with these injuries, we're in a bit of a pickle!! we'll probably get rinsed, but lets go down with a bang and give it a go!!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Dec 2020 23:16

Thought the starting set up worked reasonably well against Norwich. So happy to see either Baldock or those four start.

Need to be coached to stop looking for the wide cross though and more the through ball

Franconian Royal

by Franconian Royal » 18 Dec 2020 09:24

Mick Gooding has said it on numerous occasions in commentary, that Baldock is quick over 5-10m. The point I'm making is if that ball goes over the top and it's in the pocket behind the defence and goalkeeper, he could use it. We shouldn't expect him to get near balls that 6 foot defenders will head away. To feet or chest, he's fine, to head is just asking for the ball to come back at us with interest. Play 2 up top with Melvin-Lambert and see what happens (as said already by another poster).

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 18 Dec 2020 10:12

CountryRoyal
Hound
Stranded
It is literally no coincidence that the top 3 are the relegated sides - they have bigger squads where the back-ups would probably improve a decent percentage of other sides first teams.

I've not always subscribed to the parachute payment being an issue, but it does really feel like those 3 teams have a massive advantage over everyone else this year. Even a team like Brentford who you think would be very strong after selling 45m worth of players and reinvesting some well, look at a distinct disadvantage if they get a few injuries

Said it all when Norwich had Cantwell on Hugill coming on really. I think they've played the game well tbh, went up, pocketed the money, sold a couple for a decent amount, and now they are sitting pretty with a shed load of cash in their pocket, and a young side with plenty of further sellable assets

It does seem unusual that this year the relegated prem sides have retained far more of their better players than perhaps they would have done in any other season.

Have they?

Bournemouth have lost Wilson, Fraser, Ake and Ramsdale. Norwich have lost Godfrey and Lewis. Watford have lost Doucoure, Pereyra, Dawson and Deulofeu.

Contrastingly after our first relegation from that level we lost Kitson, Little, Sonko and Shorey, but Little had spent the last year out injured and Sonko wasn’t a starter any more. The next time we only lost Kebe and Mariappa. Without checking, I think losing 2-4 is probably normal.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 18 Dec 2020 10:18

Fwiw my team would be:

Rafael; Holmes, Morrison, Moore, Gibson; Rinomhota, Laurent; Olise, Semedo, Ejaria; Melvin-Lambert

Subs: Southwood, McIntyre, Esteves, Bristow, Lawless, Onen, Aluko, Baldock, McGiff

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 18 Dec 2020 10:48

Hound
Sutekh
Stranded

Also it’s very unusual for all 3 PL relegated clubs to be up at the top. Usually 1 or 2 of them are having a bit of difficulty adjusting.

yes thats true. I'm not sure why particularly this year. Norwich always seemed to plan to come back down, but not sure on the others

The only conclusion has to be that (although we say it every year) the division this year is not very good.
All 3 of the relegated clubs have sold significant players and not bought any of note.

Speaking just of Bournemouth, leading striker Callum Wilson, first team keeper Ramsdale, first team centre-back Nathan Ake and Ryan Fraser have all gone plus older squad players, Charlie Daniels, Pugh and Surman.
The only player coming in was Riquelme.

All of those and they are in 2nd spot-Watford and Norwich have had less sales but have still sold players particularly in the case of Norwich the full-back Jamal Lewis and Watford Doulafeu and Doucoure.

Brentford sold their best 2 players and yet are right up there with the relegated sides.

From a Reading perspective the unknown is how much we can and will spend in the window as we definitely need some additions if we are to keep up with the pace.
All of the above probably have funds, including the 3 with parachute payments, to spend so could improve squads that are already doing quite well.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Dec 2020 11:24

The season just doesn't really compare IMO.

Started late, schedule crammed, little to no fans...

Completely changes the dynamic.

I think the lack of fans may have benefited the relegated sides as there's less pressure and expectation and no one to quickly turn if something doesn't go right because they're used to losing after relegation.

Then also the smaller and quieter sides aren't quite as intimidated by big crowds and there's the influence they have on refs.

Also none of the relegated sides are ones that have been hanging on for a while and in dire straits. They're all in relatively good shape.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 19 Dec 2020 11:10

I’d go with

Rafael
Holmes Morro Moore Bristow
Rino Laurent
Aluko Olise Ejaria
Melvin-Lambert

Brentford with Norgaard, Pinnock and Jansson out. Good opportunity for Olise and Ejaria to exploit a weakened defence. As long as we can keep Ivan Toney quiet...

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 19 Dec 2020 11:49

Think VP will opt to pack midfield again and try to stop Brentford playing and getting service to you know who. Also may cause some issues for Brentford’s defence in not having a set CF to mark.

So pretty much the same team as Wednesday but with Bristow in for Gibson.

Bench would be; Southwood, McIntyre, Baldock, Melvin-Lambert, Onen, Esteves, East, Abbey, McGiff

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 19 Dec 2020 12:47

I reckon we got this. 3-1.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Dec 2020 13:13

Why would you play Bristow and not Gibson?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 19 Dec 2020 13:17

Hound Why would you play Bristow and not Gibson?

Injured

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Dec 2020 13:19

URZZZZ

Injured

Is he? Ffs

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 19 Dec 2020 13:36

CountryRoyal
Hound
Stranded

They've got all that money to keep the players. I can't help but think that all three are gonna throw every single penny in getting back up.....they know the rest of us are financially screwed at the minute so this is their best chance. If any one of them fails this season I guarantee those teams will find it bloody hard next season to come back.....especially Bournmouth.......Their best players will want out.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 19 Dec 2020 13:42

Hound
URZZZZ

Injured

Is he? Ffs

I dont rate Gibson tbh

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 19 Dec 2020 13:45

Simmops
Hound
URZZZZ
Injured

Is he? Ffs

I dont rate Gibson tbh

Absolutely agree. Everton must really hate us with loanees they've been giving us.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 19 Dec 2020 14:00

Please advise, who is left wing back?

That bench :lol:

270 posts