BFTC - Huddersfield

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTC - Huddersfield

by Hound » 05 Jan 2021 08:50

Hendo
Hound
Zip Gunter was a perfectly decent right back for us. HRK underachieved with us but he still played a big part in our greatest ever FA Cup run.He is ex Academy and has played a good number of games in the top flight, scored a worldy in the quarter finals of a major tournament and played in a semi final of that event. Not a bad career for an Academy lad.

Simon Church scored his share of goals in our promotion winning season and didn’t let the club down at any stage. He was a good lad.
Dangerous Dave Edwards was a poor signing but at least he encouraged Josh Laurent to join us.

Fair point. Definitely gets bonus points for that one.

I was actually really pleased when we signed Edwards, always was impressed with him when he was at Wolves, but seemed like a shadow of that player when playing for us.

He looked ok at first if I remember, really not suited to what Stam was trying to do though. Think he knackered his knee quite badly after that as well

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 05 Jan 2021 12:51

Jackson Corner
From Despair To Where?
WoodleyRoyal
Yeah I was just jumping on the bandwagon. I had no problem with either Gunter or HRK.

My only issue about HRK is that he kept blabbing about how he had interest from clubs all over the world and how he could earn £200,000 a week in China and he ended up in fcuking Smethwick.

I remember he also kept going on about how he scored 5 goals in the premiership. Didn’t mention anything about the fact he’d scored less in the championship The following season.

Didn't help that HRK's brother was also his agent.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 05 Jan 2021 14:12

Whore Jackie
Jackson Corner
From Despair To Where?
My only issue about HRK is that he kept blabbing about how he had interest from clubs all over the world and how he could earn £200,000 a week in China and he ended up in fcuking Smethwick.

I remember he also kept going on about how he scored 5 goals in the premiership. Didn’t mention anything about the fact he’d scored less in the championship The following season.

HRK was a waste of talent both for us and in his career generally. He showed promise in our PL season and got his memorable goal against Belgium for Wales, but he always had an arrogant air that he thought he deserved better than us. But he never delivered consistently enough to earn it so he can fcuk off.

The post-Madejski era has had far too many players in it for themselves who haven't been willing to put in the hard work. HRK is right up the top of the list. He could have been an excellent player for us after the relegation before earning a big move to a bottom half PL team. I honestly believe he had the talent. But he wasn't humble, team oriented and put in enough effort off the pitch to realise it, for us or him.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 05 Jan 2021 14:29

WestYorksRoyal
Whore Jackie
Jackson Corner I remember he also kept going on about how he scored 5 goals in the premiership. Didn’t mention anything about the fact he’d scored less in the championship The following season.

HRK was a waste of talent both for us and in his career generally. He showed promise in our PL season and got his memorable goal against Belgium for Wales, but he always had an arrogant air that he thought he deserved better than us. But he never delivered consistently enough to earn it so he can fcuk off.

The post-Madejski era has had far too many players in it for themselves who haven't been willing to put in the hard work. HRK is right up the top of the list. He could have been an excellent player for us after the relegation before earning a big move to a bottom half PL team. I honestly believe he had the talent. But he wasn't humble, team oriented and put in enough effort off the pitch to realise it, for us or him.

Rather like Man U ,I have always felt that most players who have worn our hooped shirt had their best years with us.I don’t think Feds, Shorey,Sidders,Kitson,Harper or even Doyle (although some Wolves mates have contended the opposite with him) ever reached the consistent performances they had with us.TBF I think Shane Long and Sig reached an even higher level after they left the Mad Stad.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 05 Jan 2021 14:34

HRK was a fairly ordinary player (useful option from the sub’s bench) who nonetheless ground out a good career for himself. I don’t believe all this “arrogance” stuff. People seem to like to believe that footballers (particularly black footballers) are arrogant but a player of such mundanity managing to play at this level for so long only comes about through relentless professionalism.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 05 Jan 2021 14:59

Hound
Hendo
Hound
Fair point. Definitely gets bonus points for that one.

I was actually really pleased when we signed Edwards, always was impressed with him when he was at Wolves, but seemed like a shadow of that player when playing for us.

He looked ok at first if I remember, really not suited to what Stam was trying to do though. Think he knackered his knee quite badly after that as well

He was one of our best players under Stam up until about December (not saying much mind) and then he turned pretty awful past that

Especially under Clement, was horrendous, in his first three games under him, he'd given away a 90th minute penalty, then he got himself sent off after half an hour, and then he gave away a goal against a relegation rival

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 05 Jan 2021 15:01

SCIAG HRK was a fairly ordinary player (useful option from the sub’s bench) who nonetheless ground out a good career for himself. I don’t believe all this “arrogance” stuff. People seem to like to believe that footballers (particularly black footballers) are arrogant but a player of such mundanity managing to play at this level for so long only comes about through relentless professionalism.

Especially as McDermott (and Adkins) talked a lot about the team, professionalism etc

He's a player, like Gunter, who was here for too long under sustained periods of poor performances (well HRK's last few years anyway) and so became an easy target for scapegoats

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 05 Jan 2021 15:26

SCIAG HRK was a fairly ordinary player (useful option from the sub’s bench) who nonetheless ground out a good career for himself. I don’t believe all this “arrogance” stuff. People seem to like to believe that footballers (particularly black footballers) are arrogant but a player of such mundanity managing to play at this level for so long only comes about through relentless professionalism.

Yes, I think this is all true.

You actually need a huge amount of resilience to survive as a professional footballer, because of the constant knock-backs and set-backs. Some days things will work, some days they won't, and often it's very small margins. To get through a season, let alone a career, you need to have the self-belief to pick up yourself up and go again, after bad days. Even better is if you can encourage the players around you to do the same thing.

Players that are "liked", those are characteristics that are admired. Players that are not "liked", those same characteristics are regarded as arrogance or hubris. How a player comes across in an interview isn't necessarily what they are like in real life, - just like any other walk of life, some players are pricks, some are really nice people, and most are just somewhere in between.

Maybe I'm just a relentless optimist - but the only two players I can think of that I reckon didn't give it their all on the pitch while playing for Reading were Royston Drenthe and Danny Guthrie. Even players that were essentially failures - e.g., Dangerous Dave, or David Meyler for that matter, I don't think it was for the lack of trying. And I'll be glad to be shot of Sone Aluko because the decisions he makes on the pitch drive me demented. but i wouldn't call him lazy or arrogant - I don't think he is.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 05 Jan 2021 18:28

muirinho

You actually need a huge amount of resilience to survive as a professional footballer, because of the constant knock-backs and set-backs. Some days things will work, some days they won't, and often it's very small margins. To get through a season, let alone a career, you need to have the self-belief to pick up yourself up and go again, after bad days. Even better is if you can encourage the players around you to do the same thing.

Players that are "liked", those are characteristics that are admired. Players that are not "liked", those same characteristics are regarded as arrogance or hubris. How a player comes across in an interview isn't necessarily what they are like in real life, - just like any other walk of life, some players are pricks, some are really nice people, and most are just somewhere in between.

Maybe I'm just a relentless optimist - but the only two players I can think of that I reckon didn't give it their all on the pitch while playing for Reading were Royston Drenthe and Danny Guthrie. Even players that were essentially failures - e.g., Dangerous Dave, or David Meyler for that matter, I don't think it was for the lack of trying. And I'll be glad to be shot of Sone Aluko because the decisions he makes on the pitch drive me demented. but i wouldn't call him lazy or arrogant - I don't think he is.

Who was that Senegal (?)player,our then record signing who didn’t give a toss.Cant remember his name,think he played in the World Cup.He clearly didn’t want to be here.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 05 Jan 2021 18:35

Westwood52
muirinho

Who was that Senegal (?)player,our then record signing who didn’t give a toss.Cant remember his name,think he played in the World Cup.He clearly didn’t want to be here.

Emerge Fae Ivory Coast

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 05 Jan 2021 18:40

Westwood52
Westwood52
muirinho

Emerge Fae Ivory Coast

Auto-correct?

Emerse Fae, he even managed to corrupt Sonko for a bit as they both ducked out on training but Sonko apologised.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 05 Jan 2021 23:50

tidus_mi2
Westwood52
Westwood52

Emerge Fae Ivory Coast

Auto-correct?

Emerse Fae, he even managed to corrupt Sonko for a bit as they both ducked out on training but Sonko apologised.

I'd forgotten him!. OK, that's three....

Chameleon

by Chameleon » 06 Jan 2021 01:42

Not a massive fan of HRK, he just didn't switch it on enough for us, however I will defend Gunter. He was a good player for the level we are at and always gave it his best. At very few to no points while he was playing for us would I describe his position as one of the top 50% most problematic in our team.

Due to him sticking about under many underperforming regimes it felt like he became a bit of a scapegoat for general malaise despite good performances.

Linden Jones' Tash

by Linden Jones' Tash » 06 Jan 2021 06:40

Westwood52
Westwood52
muirinho

Emerge Fae Ivory Coast

In his defence, he was probably already ill at that time

Ended up retiring at age 28

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerse_Faé

Shame as I really expected him to be the new Claude Makelele