Most important player ever?

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Most important player ever?

by SCIAG » 03 Jan 2021 12:29

Pepe the Horseman
Hendo
Pepe the Horseman It's difficult to make a call on the 106 team, as they just didn't get injured. Anyone got any stats on how many games they each played that season?

Except for the strikers, if my memory serves me correctly, although we were lucky that of Kitson was out, Lita and Doyle were good to go and then when Kitson was back, one of the others were out with injuries. Other than that, I’d be surprised if anyone else from the main XI played less than 35 games that season, maybe even less than 40.

Yeh, that's how I remember it. Can't remember any of our back four missing a game, although sure they must've done. Hunt and Oster played a few games, but mostly sub appearances. Same with Bryn.

There was one game when Shorey, Sidwell, and Kitson all went down injured shortly before half time. At the time it seemed like it might be the unravelling of our season - arguably our three best players injured- but I think Doyle came off the bench to score his first goal for us, and Makin and Gunnarsson both came in to good effect, Gunnarsson scoring twice against Sheffield United and once against Leeds.

We did have a couple of real “crises”. Hunt had to fill in at left back and up front on a couple of occasions. That’s how Long scored his first goal for us, of course. But Hahnemann, Sonko, Ingimarsson, Harper and Convey were fit all season. I did type up the stats but Ian posted them while I did so. Worth remembering that they include the Stoke match where most of the side was rested after we’d already won the league - Marcus wasn’t injured.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 03 Jan 2021 12:39

Suggestions who weren’t major goal scorers:

Ali Al-Habsi - choosing a goalkeeper feels a bit cheaty but compare him to Bond or even Jaakola and it’s not really a contest. Probably just as important as Kermorgant. (Incidentally, rather harsh to blame Kermorgant for us not getting promoted - he scored his penalty!)

Kaspars Gorkss - transformed our defence, formed a great partnership with Pearce.

Stephen Quinn - Clarke built his side around Quinn and when he was in the side we looked like title contenders. When he got injured we were average as all hell. Blackman tends to get the credit but I’d argue Quinn should do.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Jan 2021 13:00

Franchise FC
Snowflake Royal
Franchise FC 3 of our back 5 missed 13 games between them - is that what you were trying to say ?

I'd wager that's extremely low for the number of games missed by a back 5, possibly/probably close to a record in a 46 game season

But more than none.

And 2 players who didn't make 30 starts, let alone 40. And arguably two of our best 3.

Sorry, have I missed the bit where 2 of our back 5 played less than 30 but they only missed 13 games between them ?
I'm sure I was pretty clear that my quote is specifically about the back 5. To be fair, I only mentioned it twice so I can see how you may have missed it.

Someone got up the wrong side of bed. You weren't the only one talking about it. And I said players, not back 5 or defenders.

Someone else was talking about the rest of the team... all along the same theme of very few injuries, you were just the last post in the chain.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Jan 2021 13:03

SCIAG
Pepe the Horseman
Hendo
Except for the strikers, if my memory serves me correctly, although we were lucky that of Kitson was out, Lita and Doyle were good to go and then when Kitson was back, one of the others were out with injuries. Other than that, I’d be surprised if anyone else from the main XI played less than 35 games that season, maybe even less than 40.

Yeh, that's how I remember it. Can't remember any of our back four missing a game, although sure they must've done. Hunt and Oster played a few games, but mostly sub appearances. Same with Bryn.

There was one game when Shorey, Sidwell, and Kitson all went down injured shortly before half time. At the time it seemed like it might be the unravelling of our season - arguably our three best players injured- but I think Doyle came off the bench to score his first goal for us, and Makin and Gunnarsson both came in to good effect, Gunnarsson scoring twice against Sheffield United and once against Leeds.

We did have a couple of real “crises”. Hunt had to fill in at left back and up front on a couple of occasions. That’s how Long scored his first goal for us, of course. But Hahnemann, Sonko, Ingimarsson, Harper and Convey were fit all season. I did type up the stats but Ian posted them while I did so. Worth remembering that they include the Stoke match where most of the side was rested after we’d already won the league - Marcus wasn’t injured.

Ahh I did wonder how Marcus missed a game and didn't remember Harps getting injured either.

SHunt was left back in that Sheff U game.

Just imagine how we'd have done if Kitson and Sidders were fit all season.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 03 Jan 2021 13:56

Snowflake Royal
Franchise FC
Snowflake Royal But more than none.

And 2 players who didn't make 30 starts, let alone 40. And arguably two of our best 3.

Sorry, have I missed the bit where 2 of our back 5 played less than 30 but they only missed 13 games between them ?
I'm sure I was pretty clear that my quote is specifically about the back 5. To be fair, I only mentioned it twice so I can see how you may have missed it.

Someone got up the wrong side of bed. You weren't the only one talking about it. And I said players, not back 5 or defenders.

Someone else was talking about the rest of the team... all along the same theme of very few injuries, you were just the last post in the chain.

Then don’t quote the wrong person

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Jan 2021 13:59

Franchise FC
Snowflake Royal
Franchise FC Sorry, have I missed the bit where 2 of our back 5 played less than 30 but they only missed 13 games between them ?

Then don’t quote the wrong person

I didn't, I continued the conversation you massive arse.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 03 Jan 2021 14:02

Snowflake Royal
Franchise FC
Snowflake Royal I've posted it right there chaps, and already listed the 5 players who missed most games. 3 of our back five missed games btw.

3 of our back 5 missed 13 games between them - is that what you were trying to say ?

I'd wager that's extremely low for the number of games missed by a back 5, possibly/probably close to a record in a 46 game season

But more than none.

This appears to be your quote.

It’s not an extension of a conversation at all

I may be an arse, but not for this.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Jan 2021 14:03

oxf*rd hell.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 03 Jan 2021 14:05

IMO the most important player will always be a goalkeeper. He has more saves per match than any striker has chances ( er, I reckon). Having a solid, confidence- inspiring goalie is the most important element.

Therefore I’d nominate Steve Death, Shaka, Hahnemann or, this season, Rafael.

Ps Shaka number one.

Pps I do love Joao, of course.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Jan 2021 14:10

Don't really effect how you play much though do they.

The TEAM and performance doesn't become bollox just because you're maybe letting in a few extra goals.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 03 Jan 2021 14:13

No I mean important for results ( which I thought was the OP’s intention).

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 03 Jan 2021 14:34

Sutekh
Zip
Mid Sussex Royal Going back a bit:

Robin Friday - 1975/76 promotion season

Kerry Dixon - 1982/83, we were relegated but on an unusually high 53 points and Dixon was the leading scorer in the entire football league

12 wins, 17 draws and 17 defeats from that season is etched in my memory. Probably the most pissed off I’ve been with a relegation

Annoying thing about that as well was that it was only the 2nd season of 3 points for a win and if it had still been 2 points then Reading would have stayed up at the expense of Orient.

That’s a very good point. Only five more defeats than wins and we still went down because we perhaps drew a few too many.

TommyF
Location: sitting on the dock of the bay, watching the royals sail away

by TommyF » 03 Jan 2021 17:15

The single most important player i can remember in a single season (well, half a season) is Jason Roberts. The difference he made when joining us in January 2012 was instrumental (IMHO) in getting us promoted as Champions that season.

We were doing ok that season, but a debut goal and win catapulted us from top 10 into the play off positions and we never really looked back.

His presence lifted the whole team and his signing gave the team a belief they could win, which they did, completely against the odds.

After that half season his commentary performances outshone his playing performances but for half a season he was God

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 03 Jan 2021 17:32

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 03 Jan 2021 18:19

SCIAG
Pepe the Horseman
Hendo

Game you are thinking of was Burnley at the end of August 05. We took an early lead through Lita, then lost Kitson at the 40 minute mark. Burnley equalised before half time.

Makin replaced Shorey at HT and IIRC Doyle missed a few decent chances before scoring around the 70th minute.

Gandalf Presley

by Gandalf Presley » 03 Jan 2021 20:10

Name already mentioned but Shake in 94 /95. At least added 10 points onto the total while the alternative was Simon Sheppard...

More for those of a certain vintage but Kevin Bremner in 86/87; bit part player the season before but exceptional the following year.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 03 Jan 2021 21:33

I dont really think the 106 team warrants a place in this discussion. I don't think any one player was fundamental to that team's success, that was just an exceptional team where every player was a vital cog in the machine but even the backups could step up and seamlessly fitt in. Hard to believe Hunt only started 3 games that season. Can't think of a single player where I think we'd have been fcuked if he'd missed the whole season). Well, maybe Sonks or Ivar due to a lack of cover but we'd have just played Bryn there and then brought someone in.
Last edited by From Despair To Where? on 03 Jan 2021 21:44, edited 1 time in total.

Davezk

by Davezk » 03 Jan 2021 21:43

The big bad wolf

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 03 Jan 2021 21:44

Remember when Bobby Zamora played for Brighton circa 01/02 and we used to taunt them for being a one man team?

Joao is our Zamora.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 03 Jan 2021 21:57

genome Remember when Bobby Zamora played for Brighton circa 01/02 and we used to taunt them for being a one man team?

Joao is our Zamora.

Same with Lambert and Saints in the second promotion season.