MATCHWATCH : Luton Town (a)

303 posts
Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Luton Town (a)

by Royal Ginger » 09 Jan 2021 13:56

Utter crap pair of missed sitters. Young or not they should be ashamed of themselves.

Have a bit of professional pride.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 09 Jan 2021 13:56

Snowflake Royal
Snowflake Royal Fairly strong side to start with a blend of reserve for me. I want them to win because I want the younger lads to get more game time. And some our players are only just back and could use the minutes.

Something like:

...................Southwood
Esteves, Holmes, McIntyre, Bristow
...................Semedo, Swift
....Aluko,.........Olise, ..........Baldock
........................Puscas

Cabral, Richards, Dorsett, Watson, East, Onen, Melvin-Lambert, Lawless, Ejaria

If I knew which of the youth were ok at LW I might put them in for Baldock as he's not ideal there.

This is a team the first XI have comprehensively beaten in their last three league games.

Agree Holmes should've played. Don't think it was worth risking Swift, and assume Puscas must've had a setback as this would've been ideal for him.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 09 Jan 2021 13:57

If Preston win at Wycombe this afternoon we will have a free Saturday on January 23rd.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 09 Jan 2021 13:57

Snowflake Royal
Snowflake Royal Fairly strong side to start with a blend of reserve for me. I want them to win because I want the younger lads to get more game time. And some our players are only just back and could use the minutes.

Something like:

...................Southwood
Esteves, Holmes, McIntyre, Bristow
...................Semedo, Swift
....Aluko,.........Olise, ..........Baldock
........................Puscas

Cabral, Richards, Dorsett, Watson, East, Onen, Melvin-Lambert, Lawless, Ejaria

If I knew which of the youth were ok at LW I might put them in for Baldock as he's not ideal there.

This is a team the first XI have comprehensively beaten in their last three league games.

We should have won today. We absolutely battered them in the second half.
Anyway very encouraging performance from our youngsters and I’m peed off we have lost because they deserved a lot more.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Jan 2021 13:57

Zip
Snowflake Royal
Zip
I don’t think so. There is always the risk of injury. We are very much in the promotion mix in a very congested season. We also don’t have a big squad these days. Our players need a break.

No one suggested we play the entire first team.

If Cabral gets injured for example, Southwood will have to come in and has played three games. A less dismissive approach the cup and it would be four with at least one more to come. You can replicate that all over.

Where have I said someone has suggested we play our entire first team? Bizarre thing to say. Pauno clearly isn’t bothered about the Cup. He may think very differently if we were mid table....just as we hit the bar.
In truth this team he has selected has outplayed Luton in the second half and we are desperately unlucky to be going out.

Point being we can give players a break AND put out a stronger squad.

Hell, just a stronger bench could have done it.

And with a smaller squad you need to give your back up players every opportunity to play and be fresh.

Terrible management IMO.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 09 Jan 2021 13:58

Royals and Racers If Preston win at Wycombe this afternoon we will have a free Saturday on January 23rd.

Whoop! Maybe we should do a zoom quiz?

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 09 Jan 2021 13:58

Ascotexgunner I really hate that we treat the FA Cup like this but it's a difficult one. Squad is light, playoffs a serious possibility and the fact the senior deadwood in our team offer bugger all really gives the manager a problem.

Yep

And very frustrating that we had a great chance to progress here and didn't need to do much more.

It is difficult but I don't think we even had the right mental approach from the start. Luton were clearly up for it in comparison. When we started to play we looked much better than Luton despite the inexperience

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Jan 2021 13:59

Royal Ginger Utter crap pair of missed sitters. Young or not they should be ashamed of themselves.

Aluko missed the only genuine sitter.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 09 Jan 2021 13:59

CountryRoyal I think we’ve absolutely done the right thing today, and it was an enjoyable game too. As others have said we just don’t have the luxury of risking ANY of our first team players. On this awful pitch I even cringed a bit at seeing Olise playing.

Spot on. Very encouraged by what I saw. We totally outplayed them in the second half. Their keeper was probably MoTM which says an awful lot.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 09 Jan 2021 14:00

IMO that’s a missed opportunity

Should be using the cup either to try and progress or experiment with something new. Playing that combination on the right hand side and Baldock by himself neither helps our chances of winning as they don’t work or gives us the chance to learn something new

Puscas and Swift IMO should have been given a run out

Performance much improved in the second half mind until the subs which lost us the momentum we seemed to have generated

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 09 Jan 2021 14:01

Snowflake Royal
Royal Ginger Utter crap pair of missed sitters. Young or not they should be ashamed of themselves.

Aluko missed the only genuine sitter.

And he should hang his head too. Not excusing him, but this lot don’t get a bye just because they’re young.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Jan 2021 14:01

Snowflake Royal
Zip
Snowflake Royal No one suggested we play the entire first team.

If Cabral gets injured for example, Southwood will have to come in and has played three games. A less dismissive approach the cup and it would be four with at least one more to come. You can replicate that all over.

Where have I said someone has suggested we play our entire first team? Bizarre thing to say. Pauno clearly isn’t bothered about the Cup. He may think very differently if we were mid table....just as we hit the bar.
In truth this team he has selected has outplayed Luton in the second half and we are desperately unlucky to be going out.

And with a smaller squad you need to give your back up players every opportunity to play and be fresh.

Terrible management IMO.

Oh give it a rest Ian

Pauno knows what he is doing as he’s proven this season. We did enough to win with the team we had bar some poor finishing. They offered nothing much and relied on an error from one of the senior played you’d have picked

We did fine, FA Cup esp this season is a pain in the backside, and it was great to see some of the lads step up and give a good impression

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 09 Jan 2021 14:02

Snowflake Royal
Zip
Snowflake Royal No one suggested we play the entire first team.

Terrible management IMO.

Maybe a stronger bench but I’m not bothered. Our youngsters will get their chances in time. It’s all about the League this season. I can also only repeat the side he put out was good enough to win. Luton were very fortunate to scrape through.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Jan 2021 14:04

Also probably worth actually waiting to hear what Pauno says before we criticise for not picking Swift and Puscas

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 09 Jan 2021 14:04

Hound
Snowflake Royal
Zip

Terrible management IMO.

Oh give it a rest Ian

Pauno knows what he is doing as he’s proven this season. We did enough to win with the team we had bar some poor finishing. They offered nothing much and relied on an error from one of the senior played you’d have picked

We did fine, FA Cup esp this season is a pain in the backside, and it was great to see some of the lads step up and give a good impression

Yep this. We did enough to win and I was very impressed with that second half. Lovely approach play and just not quite finishing off the many chances we created. Esteves excellent in the second period. So much better from him.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 09 Jan 2021 14:05

URZZZZ IMO that’s a missed opportunity

Should be using the cup either to try and progress or experiment with something new. Playing that combination on the right hand side and Baldock by himself neither helps our chances of winning as they don’t work or gives us the chance to learn something new

Performance much improved in the second half mind until the subs which lost us the momentum we seemed to have generated

Swift has been out for what, three months? Then played in 3 games in a week. With his injury record would it really have been worth risking him?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Jan 2021 14:07

Zip
Hound
Snowflake Royal Point being we can give players a break AND put out a stronger squad.

Terrible management IMO.

Oh give it a rest Ian

Yep this. We did enough to win and I was very impressed with that second half. Lovely approach play and just not quite finishing off the many chances we created. Esteves excellent in the second period. So much better from him.

Yep Tom Mc and Esteves our two best players which is great news for their confidence

Semedo was pretty good in the dm role as well

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 09 Jan 2021 14:08

URZZZZ IMO that’s a missed opportunity

Yep

Almost felt like he just wanted to get it over with and avoid injuries. Especially when taking 3 senior players off with 15 to go

Would much rather have had some experience on the bench.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 09 Jan 2021 14:09

Snowflake Royal And with a smaller squad you need to give your back up players every opportunity to play and be fresh.

We did :| Our back up players literally are Southwood, Semedo, Aluko, Baldock, McIntyre, Esteves plus U23s.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 09 Jan 2021 14:10

Paunovic has now given nine academy players their debut. This is as many as Clement, Marshall, Gomes, and Bowen combined.

303 posts