MATCHWATCH : Wycombe Wanderers (a)

544 posts
Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

Re: MATCHWATCH : Wycombe Wanderers (a)

by Coppells Lost Coat » 24 Feb 2021 13:36

South Coast Royal The most disappointing thing for me is that Pauno seems to have fallen into the trap of many managers in now worrying too much about the opposition..
We got to our lofty league position by generally playing fluid attacking football based on a midfield all working together and swapping positions when necessary plus an in-form striker who rarely missed..

When I saw the line-up last night I thought he had made selections for the wrong game-Rotherham has a team of giants and they play long ball, Wycombe don't have a team of giants.
Playing 4 centre-backs IMHO smacked of negativity, i.e. we have to deal with them when surely, taking into account the massive difference in league positions and past results we should not have been worrying about them, they should have been left to worry about us.

Pretty much sums it up for me.
4 center backs with a holding midfielder is something you would expect against Norwich or Swansea. I can accept a sluggish performances or teams just simply being more up for it than us. But to set up like this completely removes our game play. Ejaria needs a LB to over lap him. Laurent and Rino want to make that square ball to open up the pitch. Every player looked isolated

Joao game is not flicking it on.....you could see in his body language that he was sick of it too and gave up, give him something to attack or play it to his feet. Launching a 60 yard straight ball to him isn't worth it. Not only does it achieve nothing, it also bypasses our much lauded midfield.
Every time i saw a long ball i was hoping it was mis hit so Joao could chase it and Ejaria / Olise could get into a position to help out.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 24 Feb 2021 13:42

Franchise FC
skipper I do love watching the team, but I've just spent 40 quid to watch 1 win, 3 losses and only one genuinely good game (Brantford). Not that I'm moaning about the City game, because that was a stroll in the park.

We're an odd team really. Absolutely comfortable & pedestrian against City. Just didn't turn up against Millwall and Wycombe, and can go toe to toe with Brantford.

Have you got two a's and no e on your keyboard ?

No that would mean

I do love watching the taam, but I've just spant 40 quid to watch 1 win, 3 lossas and only on a ganuinaly good gama (Brantford). Not that I'm moaning about the City gama, bacausa that was a stroll in the park. Wa're an odd taam raally. Absolutaly comfortabla & padastrian against City. Just didn't turn up against Millwall and Wycombe, and can go toa to toa with Brantford

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 24 Feb 2021 13:52

Coppells Lost Coat
South Coast Royal The most disappointing thing for me is that Pauno seems to have fallen into the trap of many managers in now worrying too much about the opposition..
We got to our lofty league position by generally playing fluid attacking football based on a midfield all working together and swapping positions when necessary plus an in-form striker who rarely missed..

When I saw the line-up last night I thought he had made selections for the wrong game-Rotherham has a team of giants and they play long ball, Wycombe don't have a team of giants.
Playing 4 centre-backs IMHO smacked of negativity, i.e. we have to deal with them when surely, taking into account the massive difference in league positions and past results we should not have been worrying about them, they should have been left to worry about us.

Pretty much sums it up for me.
4 center backs with a holding midfielder is something you would expect against Norwich or Swansea. I can accept a sluggish performances or teams just simply being more up for it than us. But to set up like this completely removes our game play. Ejaria needs a LB to over lap him. Laurent and Rino want to make that square ball to open up the pitch. Every player looked isolated

Joao game is not flicking it on.....you could see in his body language that he was sick of it too and gave up, give him something to attack or play it to his feet. Launching a 60 yard straight ball to him isn't worth it. Not only does it achieve nothing, it also bypasses our much lauded midfield.
Every time i saw a long ball i was hoping it was mis hit so Joao could chase it and Ejaria / Olise could get into a position to help out.

Agree. The can for this debacle has to be carried by the manager, his negative team selection and frustrating intransigence to not shift from 4-2-3-1 formation when it’s patently obvious that would be a better fit for the players currently available (not to mention, if it’s used over a few games, giving some flexibility to rest players such as Olise, Ejaria etc.).

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 24 Feb 2021 14:02

RoyalBlue This is a real potential banana skin and VP and his coaches have to do everything to ensure the squad are mentally strong and ready for a real battle. Ainsworth's team will always fight to the death and I am absolutely sure he and his players will have spotted that our team don't like it when other teams really get in their faces.

We have to start really strong and go for their jugular from the very first whistle, as we did in the first halves against Brentford and Bristol City.

Even the least knowledgeable amongst us knew what we were in for and what would be required to come out as victors!

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 24 Feb 2021 14:30

Sutekh
Agree. The can for this debacle has to be carried by the manager, his negative team selection and frustrating intransigence to not shift from 4-2-3-1 formation when it’s patently obvious that would be a better fit for the players currently available (not to mention, if it’s used over a few games, giving some flexibility to rest players such as Olise, Ejaria etc.).

I dont mind sticking with the formation, for instance Esteves did a good job and put Olise in the Swift role versus City....and we won(although city did look poor). It was a good piece of management, brave selection and allowed us to keep formation.

But lets not shoe horn players in for the sake of it. Moore didn't need to come in - Tmac was doing brilliant at CB. Richards didn't need to be dropped. Yet, there we were with 4 CB starting with 3 full backs on the bench and crying out for width.
Yaidom or Esteves should have come on for Semedo after 60 minutes.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Feb 2021 14:53

URZZZZ
South Coast Royal
Oh for a winger to get in behind when the other team are defending in numbers.

Agreed, Aluko took on his man a couple of times and crossed it in but it wasn’t nearly enough

Wonder what Hound thinks to your point :wink:

I don't massively disagree tbh (and actually SCR's post above was pretty spot on). Raised a very similar point that we had Esteves, Yiadom and Richards all stuck on the bench when we were crying out for width, yet McIntyre kept lumping long balls, and Holmes continuously stepped back and passed it inside

the whole pacy winger debate wasn't necessary that I don't agree with needing width - just think the FBs could and should be able to provide it.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 24 Feb 2021 15:37

Coppells Lost Coat
Sutekh

I dont mind sticking with the formation, for instance Esteves did a good job and put Olise in the Swift role versus City....and we won(although city did look poor). It was a good piece of management, brave selection and allowed us to keep formation.

But lets not shoe horn players in for the sake of it. Moore didn't need to come in - Tmac was doing brilliant at CB. Richards didn't need to be dropped. Yet, there we were with 4 CB starting with 3 full backs on the bench and crying out for width.
Yaidom or Esteves should have come on for Semedo after 60 minutes.

Perhaps Richards has switched off. Mentally out of the door already. Now happy just to go through the motions.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 24 Feb 2021 16:09

Pepe the Horseman
Jagermesiter1871
Snowflake Royal What. The. Actual. oxf*rd. Was. That. Goal.

You on satellite delay?

Lol. Can't bring myself to watch it again. What actually happened?

Wycombe's goal?

It looked like Rafael allowed it to fall through his hands, but on replay it seems their player got a foot in before Rafael could catch it.

I remember my teams football coach drumming into me that when a ball comes to you, wherever you on the pitch you go TO the ball as anything could happen in the meantime.

I know Tim&Mick absolved Rafael of blame because they initially also felt he fumbled it, but looking at it I can't help thinking had he pounced on the ball it'd be his rather than standing there waiting for it to float into his arms. That's when their player tapped it.

I can't remember who it was we played not long ago where their keeper seemed to just wait for a ball to fall in his arms rather than jumping to catch it assertively, and in that time i think Holmes popped his head in and would've scored had it not been for a hand on the line.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Feb 2021 16:39

Millsy I can't remember who it was we played not long ago where their keeper seemed to just wait for a ball to fall in his arms rather than jumping to catch it assertively, and in that time i think Holmes popped his head in and would've scored had it not been for a hand on the line.

Forest

Haven't actually got round to, and probably never will, gone back and watched the highlights

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 24 Feb 2021 17:12

Millsy
Pepe the Horseman
Jagermesiter1871
You on satellite delay?

Lol. Can't bring myself to watch it again. What actually happened?

Wycombe's goal?

It looked like Rafael allowed it to fall through his hands, but on replay it seems their player got a foot in before Rafael could catch it.

I remember my teams football coach drumming into me that when a ball comes to you, wherever you on the pitch you go TO the ball as anything could happen in the meantime.

I know Tim&Mick absolved Rafael of blame because they initially also felt he fumbled it, but looking at it I can't help thinking had he pounced on the ball it'd be his rather than standing there waiting for it to float into his arms. That's when their player tapped it.

I can't remember who it was we played not long ago where their keeper seemed to just wait for a ball to fall in his arms rather than jumping to catch it assertively, and in that time i think Holmes popped his head in and would've scored had it not been for a hand on the line.

I too initially thought Rafael was at fault. The trouble is the picture quality on Sky was appalling so you couldn't see clearly. Having seen replays it's clear the Wycombe player got to the ball first and Rafael didn't fumble as I first thought. I'm not sure he could've got to the ball any quicker, given his position and the speed of play. However, it's hard to judge how far away from the ball he and the scorer were, particularly from the one camera angle. Was the action caught on any other cameras e.g. behind the goal?

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 24 Feb 2021 17:17

RoyalBlue
Millsy
Pepe the Horseman Lol. Can't bring myself to watch it again. What actually happened?

Wycombe's goal?

I too initially thought Rafael was at fault. The trouble is the picture quality on Sky was appalling so you couldn't see clearly. Having seen replays it's clear the Wycombe player got to the ball first and Rafael didn't fumble as I first thought. I'm not sure he could've got to the ball any quicker, given his position and the speed of play. However, it's hard to judge how far away from the ball he and the scorer were, particularly from the one camera angle. Was the action caught on any other cameras e.g. behind the goal?

Sutekh mentioned that it looked like Holmes lost his man, which I'm guessing is why no one is talking about it.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 24 Feb 2021 18:28

Pepe the Horseman
RoyalBlue
Millsy
Wycombe's goal?

Sutekh mentioned that it looked like Holmes lost his man, which I'm guessing is why no one is talking about it.

But Tim Dellor said he's the new Dani Alves and can do no wrong.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 24 Feb 2021 19:16

RoyalBlue
Millsy
Pepe the Horseman Lol. Can't bring myself to watch it again. What actually happened?

Wycombe's goal?

Goal clip here from various angles:

https://twitter.com/wwfcofficial/status ... 8171235332

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Feb 2021 19:51

Orion1871
Pepe the Horseman
RoyalBlue

Holmes was marking Ikpeazu. Onyadinma was standing unmarked with Morrison next closest. So Holmes was basically having to cover two men, and he did cover the one that was actually his. Cabral has to try to get to the ball quicker and make himself bigger in case he can't get there.

Once upon a time .

Re

by Once upon a time . » 24 Feb 2021 20:39

A penalty is taken from 12 yards , I always believed that a decent player should be able to pass the ball accurately over 12 yards . That’s all you have to do ———- just pass the ball into the corner of the net , if the goalkeeper stands in the middle of the goal he can’t reach it , you could even tell him where you’re going to place it . A firm 12 yard pass is easy —— or should be !

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 24 Feb 2021 21:32

Snowflake Royal
Orion1871
Pepe the Horseman Sutekh mentioned that it looked like Holmes lost his man, which I'm guessing is why no one is talking about it.

Holmes was marking Ikpeazu. Onyadinma was standing unmarked with Morrison next closest. So Holmes was basically having to cover two men, and he did cover the one that was actually his. Cabral has to try to get to the ball quicker and make himself bigger in case he can't get there.

There were about a dozen mistakes and half arsed attempts at winning the ball before the goal. It was 90 seconds of pretty poor play all round.

Rounded off by Laurent not challenging a back post header that was weak and again watched by 2 defenders to allow the Wycombe player to get there. Could Rafael got there quicker, possibly but his was hardly a mistake. The fault lies with those in front of him for that goal.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 24 Feb 2021 22:03

Orion1871 What The Actual Flying F U C K is wrong with this club and our charitable exploits every season?

Yes we know the Championship is a tough league but every season, no matter the change of personnel on our team, we seem to gift points to the struggling teams in the division.

Last year we were one of the only teams to drop points to Hull in the second half of the season and then there was the Wigan debacle. Even the 106 season saw our greatest ever team make a right canines supper at seeing off the eventually relegated Crewe Alexandra.

Don't even get me started on the legendary pisstakes against Burton, and Yeovil.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some as well.

MK Dons when we couldn't score past them in 2 league games and only got 1 point?

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 25 Feb 2021 00:24

Silver lining: Pauno is learning his mistakes now, a dip now so a nice peak in form heading into the playoffs.

Would much rather this than starting to fall apart in the last 4 games +/- playoffs.

Can just imagine no lesson learnt and Joao doing an Archie at Wembley. Much rather lose this so he isn’t put in that position.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Feb 2021 08:46

He's making them, yet to see him learn from them.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 25 Feb 2021 09:12

tru dat

544 posts