Players bumping into each other

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Players bumping into each other

by Millsy » 18 Mar 2021 11:09

Just an interesting observation means probably absolutely nothing.

Almost every game this season at least once if not several times per game I've noticed situations where one of our players has the ball and seems to run into another one of our players, and there's often a small bit of confusion and the other player runs out the way. It seems an awful waste of man presence on the pitch having two of our own team getting tangled up with each other rather than spreading out.

Perhaps it's a tactic where sometimes the other player takes it and runs off in another direction confusing the opposition I don't know.

Clearly our style overall has been great which is why we're doing well but what is it about our style that causes this? If you've not noticed it have a look for it and you'll see what I mean. I'd never noticed it before.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Players bumping into each other

by Snowball » 18 Mar 2021 11:49

I think we lack positional discipline and a regular, steady plan in some games

At the start of the season we were ultra defensive, totally shut down the middle and were weaker defending the wings, but Morrisson and Co ate up most crosses

And we had JOAO scoring for fun

If JOAO isn't getting his goals we start to get more anxious, push on more, lose defensive discipline and just “get messy”

Sometimes, because we have game-changers like Olise, JOAO, Ejaria and last two games, Meite, we can pinch goals and points

But it’s rare we cause shedloads of good chances like Brentford or Bournemouth

It’s a bit like arsenal at the end of Wenger’s reign. Lots of ball, lots of “pretty”, but (it looks like) no real plan to CREATE CHANCES from possession.

It’s more like “Keep camped in the last third and something will happen”

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 18 Mar 2021 11:52

By no plans, I’m excluding set pieces

We have been quite creative there

OTOH, consider how we would look without those surprise goals

We don’t create enough chances from open play

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 18 Mar 2021 11:58

Saw the thread title and immediately thought of our home game against, I believe Neil Warnock's Sheffield United where two Utd players went for the ball and collided. It was funny at the time.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Mar 2021 12:44

We have a very fluid forward line and players are free to roam. We also have a lot of players who like to carry the ball. It's a consequence of that.

The defensive midfielders seem to have been told to get forward a lot more in the last couple of months. Laurent in particular has been doing it a lot. That'll squeeze the space and make bumps more likely too.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 19 Mar 2021 16:23

Thanks guys good input.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1