Stadium capacity measured against average attendance

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

Stadium capacity measured against average attendance

by Westwood52 » 02 Apr 2021 09:28

Just came across on You Tube a summary of each Club s stadium capacity.We came in at 40 th largest capacity across all the football stadiums.I would imagine the likes of Sunderland pre Covid ,the fans were rattling around in vast sparsely attended stadiums.I imagine it’s the same for Hull and Huddersfield.Coventry have moved out of Ricoh haven’t they ,but it must have been dispiriting for their remaining fan base staring out at all those empty seats.Imagine if we had gone down over the last couple of seasons,and a hard core of 8000 or so fans turned up each week;it would have been awful.Presumably mid week ,the number of spectators would have been even less.
I also worry post Covid ,how many regulars will not return.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

Re: Stadium capacity measured against average attendance

by RoyalBlue » 02 Apr 2021 12:05

Westwood52 Just came across on You Tube a summary of each Club s stadium capacity.We came in at 40 th largest capacity across all the football stadiums.I would imagine the likes of Sunderland pre Covid ,the fans were rattling around in vast sparsely attended stadiums.I imagine it’s the same for Hull and Huddersfield.Coventry have moved out of Ricoh haven’t they ,but it must have been dispiriting for their remaining fan base staring out at all those empty seats.Imagine if we had gone down over the last couple of seasons,and a hard core of 8000 or so fans turned up each week;it would have been awful.Presumably mid week ,the number of spectators would have been even less.

The last point is very valid IMO. I suspect that there will be a percentage of every club's pre-Covid fan base who will have realised that there can be more to their lives than religiously attending games of football, particularly if the offering on the pitch is not that attractive.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 02 Apr 2021 15:09

Westwood52 Just came across on You Tube a summary of each Club s stadium capacity.We came in at 40 th largest capacity across all the football stadiums.I would imagine the likes of Sunderland pre Covid ,the fans were rattling around in vast sparsely attended stadiums.I imagine it’s the same for Hull and Huddersfield.Coventry have moved out of Ricoh haven’t they ,but it must have been dispiriting for their remaining fan base staring out at all those empty seats.Imagine if we had gone down over the last couple of seasons,and a hard core of 8000 or so fans turned up each week;it would have been awful.Presumably mid week ,the number of spectators would have been even less.

I think Coventry have now signed a deal to come back to the Ricoh.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 02 Apr 2021 16:24

If anything, Covid should have had the reverse effect with fans really missing that Saturday trip to watch the footy.

May be different for the regulars, but as an exile I’d swap the 10-12 Sky games we’ve been able to view this season for 1 live game. The fan experience is totally different and I really miss feeling part of the fanbase and supporting the team.

I do think the sky red button & iFollow have contributed to dwindling attendances, especially those midweek games. So it’ll be interesting to see what happens in the next few years with that. I certainly think there needs to be the incentive to go for people living in the area of their team, but for exiles, it’s very helpful. And there also needs to be an incentive for travelling to say Blackburn from Reading, when that’s free or £10 too.

Will certainly be interesting to see what happens

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 03 Apr 2021 12:15

Notts Royal If anything, Covid should have had the reverse effect with fans really missing that Saturday trip to watch the footy.

May be different for the regulars, but as an exile I’d swap the 10-12 Sky games we’ve been able to view this season for 1 live game. The fan experience is totally different and I really miss feeling part of the fanbase and supporting the team.

I do think the sky red button & iFollow have contributed to dwindling attendances, especially those midweek games. So it’ll be interesting to see what happens in the next few years with that. I certainly think there needs to be the incentive to go for people living in the area of their team, but for exiles, it’s very helpful. And there also needs to be an incentive for travelling to say Blackburn from Reading, when that’s free or £10 too.

There’s been an incentive to travel with free coaches laid on to the non local games. If other clubs had reciprocated our £20 ticket prices it would have meant away trips were really good value....

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 05 Apr 2021 08:15

Nameless
Notts Royal If anything, Covid should have had the reverse effect with fans really missing that Saturday trip to watch the footy.

There’s been an incentive to travel with free coaches laid on to the non local games. If other clubs had reciprocated our £20 ticket prices it would have meant away trips were really good value....

There has but even with free travel, you really really want to have to go to travel to Blackburn on a Tuesday night and likely need to take a day or two off to do so.

Football needs to shift so that local games, where possible, are only played midweek esp. if red button games continue.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Apr 2021 10:05

Isn't the idea that midweek games put people off regardless of locality so you want to maximise your local attendance by keeping them at the weekend.

Losing 10% of a small following on a long distance game for midweek is fewer people than 5% of a big following locally for example.

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1