Worst ever Reading FC miss

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Worst ever Reading FC miss

by Hendo » 03 Apr 2021 16:06

Watching it back. I think if Joao goes near post along the ground, the ‘keeper might save it.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 03 Apr 2021 16:08

I'm sure Ollie Kearns used to miss sitters every week (that's how it felt) but would then score a difficult chance in the same game

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 04 Apr 2021 06:43

Isn’t the Ronnie Rosenthal miss the worst ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cqLuRZS6Ak

Think we’re all agreed we’d rather have Joao in the team than not esp. given the way the side is geared to play.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 Apr 2021 08:02

Hendo Watching it back. I think if Joao goes near post along the ground, the ‘keeper might save it.

You may be right but still a lot of goal to aim at rather, than as he seemed to be trying to put it in the very far corner.

At least if the keeper saves, you can give him credit for recovering.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Apr 2021 08:30

Stranded
Hendo Watching it back. I think if Joao goes near post along the ground, the ‘keeper might save it.

You may be right but still a lot of goal to aim at rather, than as he seemed to be trying to put it in the very far corner.

I think he's seen the keeper recover and tried to be cute rolling it back under him at the far post, when he should have stuck it in the roof of the net, lifted it or just bent it slightly near post.

It's nowhere near as bad as missing an open net from a yard or three like the Long or Ferdinand ones posted here though.

And Joao shouldn't take the blame for dropping points against Barnsley when Meite trips himself up 1v1 and Yiadom chucks someone to the floor by their throat. And the pen goes through Cabral (much less of an error, but saveable for sure)

Very much a group effort to lose the points.

lolwut

by lolwut » 04 Apr 2021 19:57

Shane long’s miss against Peterborough was pretty special. Gylfi on hand to save his blushes somewhat.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xd4w3n

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 04 Apr 2021 21:05

Snowflake Royal
Stranded

I think he's seen the keeper recover and tried to be cute rolling it back under him at the far post, when he should have stuck it in the roof of the net, lifted it or just bent it slightly near post.

It's nowhere near as bad as missing an open net from a yard or three like the Long or Ferdinand ones posted here though.

And Joao shouldn't take the blame for dropping points against Barnsley when Meite trips himself up 1v1 and Yiadom chucks someone to the floor by their throat. And the pen goes through Cabral (much less of an error, but saveable for sure)

He’s there to score goals. It was an open goal. Side foot to near post. It was an appalling miss.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 04 Apr 2021 23:55

Keepers are there to stop goals. How many goals has Cabral let in this season that he should have stopped?

Defenders are not supposed to pass to the opposition in front of our goal. They have, this season?

Fullbacks should not put a choke hold on opposition players in our are when the referee is five yards away. Oops!

Go back through our season and count the clear individual errors that "should never happen"

McIntyre had two "horror moments" conceding two goals in one game.
Gibson had at least one.
Holmes has been at fault for goals.
Didn't Rhino give a goal away that was a horrible individual mistake?
Cabral, how many?
How about Omar Richards? Esteves?
How about Meite's 1-on-1 miss that still hasn't landed
Hasn't Puscas missed a few sitters?

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 05 Apr 2021 00:12

Snowball Keepers are there to stop goals. How many goals has Cabral let in this season that he should have stopped?

Defenders are not supposed to pass to the opposition in front of our goal. They have, this season?

Fullbacks should not put a choke hold on opposition players in our are when the referee is five yards away. Oops!

Go back through our season and count the clear individual errors that "should never happen"

Gibson had at least one.
Cabral, how many?

This!!!!

For me, Yiadom's idiocy in giving away the penalty far outweighs Joao's miss in terms of costing us points. I feel like some players get away with mistakes because they come across as likeable, where others are jumped on for the same errors.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 05 Apr 2021 00:18

muirinho
Snowball Keepers are there to stop goals. How many goals has Cabral let in this season that he should have stopped?

Gibson had at least one.
Cabral, how many?

This!!!!

For me, Yiadom's idiocy in giving away the penalty far outweighs Joao's miss in terms of costing us points. I feel like some players get away with mistakes because they come across as likeable, where others are jumped on for the same errors.

Its optics. Joao's looked as bad as a goalie throwing one in the net and will be part of any football blooper package forever now, so it gets spoken about more.

Yiadom was an idiot but giving away a pen gets forgotten about very quickly indeed. However both were key moments turning 3pts to 1.

biff

by biff » 05 Apr 2021 01:39

Anyone making excuses for Joao missing that is a simp. RIghtly globally ridiculed online for that "attempt" to be cute instead of just rolling it in.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Apr 2021 10:00

leon
Snowflake Royal
Stranded

He’s there to score goals. It was an open goal. Side foot to near post. It was an appalling miss.

Not as open as Long or Ferdinand. No one is denying it was a bad miss, just disagreeing with the histrionics about it being the worst miss in the universe ever.

biff

by biff » 05 Apr 2021 11:55

Longs was behind him and he had to scoop it, Ferdinands was coming from his right and it bobbled slightly. Both bad, both not as tragic as Joaos; I think the "histrionics" here are warranted.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 05 Apr 2021 12:16

Snowflake Royal
leon
Snowflake Royal I think he's seen the keeper recover and tried to be cute rolling it back under him at the far post, when he should have stuck it in the roof of the net, lifted it or just bent it slightly near post.

Not as open as Long or Ferdinand. No one is denying it was a bad miss, just disagreeing with the histrionics about it being the worst miss in the universe ever.

No I was disagreeing with your post. That’s why I quoted it.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Apr 2021 12:24

Not very well seeing as you haven't really said anything that contradicts it or that I disagree with.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 05 Apr 2021 12:27

Snowflake Royal Not very well seeing as you haven't really said anything that contradicts it or that I disagree with.

You were attempting to spread the blame - I was saying actually the miss was so bad Joao needed to take it all on his shoulders.

Incidentally I’ve noticed you often don’t quote people when you disagree hoping to get the last word in without them noticing. :lol:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Apr 2021 12:36

leon
Snowflake Royal Not very well seeing as you haven't really said anything that contradicts it or that I disagree with.

You were attempting to spread the blame - I was saying actually the miss was so bad Joao needed to take it all on his shoulders.

Incidentally I’ve noticed you often don’t quote people when you disagree hoping to get the last word in without them noticing. :lol:

Not at all. If the post is already long and the point I'm making is simple it's just easier.

I know you don't like me leon, but try getting over a knee jerk response.

Ok, now you've actually covered the point you disagree on... I'm perfectly happy to debate it.

Is Meite not there to score goals? Is Yiadom not there to defend and avoid giving away penalties?

That's three major oxf*rd ups that could have won us the game, not 1.

So no, I'm not going to put all the blame on Joao.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 05 Apr 2021 12:43

Snowflake Royal
leon

Not at all. If the post is already long and the point I'm making is simple it's just easier.

I know you don't like me leon, but try getting over a knee jerk response.

Ok, now you've actually covered the point you disagree on... I'm perfectly happy to debate it.

Is Meite not there to score goals? Is Yiadom not there to defend and avoid giving away penalties?

That's three major oxf*rd ups that could have won us the game, not 1.

So no, I'm not going to put all the blame on Joao.

It’s something I’ve noticed over many years. Whether I like you or not is irrelevant to that point.

On the Joao point I’m not expecting you to agree/change your views - you never will as CR has pointed out elsewhere. I was merely disagreeing with your statement because in my view you’re wrong.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Apr 2021 12:44

That's nice. You seem very open to considering other ideas and changing your opinion tho. Well done.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 05 Apr 2021 21:22

Snowflake Royal That's nice. You seem very open to considering other ideas and changing your opinion tho. Well done.

Yes I am. You should try it some time.