Pauno out

3542 posts
Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Pauno out

by Royal_jimmy » 01 May 2021 23:24

I feel a bit sorry for the owners. They can't invest as much on the playing squad due to the profit and sustainability rules and having been top and looking guaranteed to be in with a shot of promotion few months ago and we've lost the plot and fallen short. I do worry they'll lose interest soon end we'll be deep in the brown stuff.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 01 May 2021 23:40

Snowflake Royal It is madness to change manager every 9 months. It makes me sick, and it's everything I hate about football.

Unfortunately people (owners and a lot of fans) want instant success these days, and any failure to match these often unrealistic expectations means "the manager must go".

It's stupid, as while there are a few managers who come in and succeed immediately, those are rare exceptions. Usually a manager needs a couple of years, at least, to get the team playing the way they want.

If there are other behind the scenes reasons where a manager is very unpopular with the players, then that's a bit different, but nobody at all would have regarded finishing 7th this season as failure, let alone worthy of being sacked.

Yes, we've finished poorly, not helped by injuries and the loss of form of one or two key players, but the bitter truth is that this is not a great side, and to get into the play-offs would be an over-achievement.

And let's face it. No proven manager is going to come here. We are not a good prospect.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 02 May 2021 00:07

To sum up then "He's Gotta Go", time to get back to basics, please no more cheap imports.

Torbay Royal

by Torbay Royal » 02 May 2021 00:15

When the dust settles, everyone will see that this was an unexpectedly decent season. We've overachieved and if we had been promoted, we would have been the whipping boys next season. Let's be honest, who would enjoy that?

Pauno has benefitted from "new manager bounce", the club started well, the media got giddy about xG ratings and the fanbase started posting about "HMS Piss the League" back in October. Never a good thing to do.

However, despite this being a good season, I think we'll see some significant departures in the summer and then we'll see how good our manager is. Does he have good contacts to bring players in?

Pauno out? Not for me, at the moment, but I suspect we'll have a much less enjoyable start to the season next year and then he'll probably be gone.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 02 May 2021 00:22

Royal_jimmy I feel a bit sorry for the owners. They can't invest as much on the playing squad due to the profit and sustainability rules and having been top and looking guaranteed to be in with a shot of promotion few months ago and we've lost the plot and fallen short. I do worry they'll lose interest soon end we'll be deep in the brown stuff.

Players wages aren't an investment............

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 02 May 2021 09:32

I think the mistake would be in not making a clear headed decision now.The worst scenario is Pauno starting next season and then getting dumped after ten games when we are in trouble.Looking at the list of available managers;there really isn’t much there.However Pauno s team performance over the last eleven games has been awful.He has clearly lost the dressing room;with a fair few number of players just going through the motions.I have a horrible suspicion that O Shea might be appointed.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 02 May 2021 09:39

Westwood52 I think the mistake would be in not making a clear headed decision now.The worst scenario is Pauno starting next season and then getting dumped after ten games when we are in trouble.Looking at the list of available managers;there really isn’t much there.However Pauno s team performance over the last eleven games has been awful.He has clearly lost the dressing room;with a fair few number of players just going through the motions.I have a horrible suspicion that O Shea might be appointed.

O’Shea is the natural successor and I wouldn’t be too disappointed with that as an appointment tbh.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 02 May 2021 09:53

Westwood52 I think the mistake would be in not making a clear headed decision now.The worst scenario is Pauno starting next season and then getting dumped after ten games when we are in trouble.Looking at the list of available managers;there really isn’t much there.However Pauno s team performance over the last eleven games has been awful.He has clearly lost the dressing room;with a fair few number of players just going through the motions.I have a horrible suspicion that O Shea might be appointed.

There is literally no sign he has lost anything. We haven't really been losing games outside of the ones against the top 2, we just haven't turned draws into wins when we had chances to do so. If he had lost the dressing room, we'd have lost a lot more games of late.

And yes, as and when VP goes, unless that is a few years away, O'Shea will likely be the next manager.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 02 May 2021 09:55

Perhaps the owners have been too patient with Pauno. Looking at other sackings this season, both Bournemouth and Watford pulled the trigger fairly soon after results took a turn for the worse. Both teams were top 6 at the time and Watford's run sounds similar to ours. Look where they are now.

Should Pauno have gone sooner, when it became obvious we were sliding out of the top 6. Perhaps this shows the owners are willing to give him time?

Championship club Bournemouth have sacked manager Jason Tindall, who was in charge for just six months. Bournemouth, with the team sixth in the table, have lost four successive Championship matches and won just once in their past eight league games.

Watford have sacked head coach Vladimir Ivic after four months in the role. Watford are fifth in the table. The Serb's sacking came after his side were beaten 2-0 at mid-table Huddersfield Town on Saturday - just their second defeat in 11 games - a spell in which they have also had four draws

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 02 May 2021 10:06

blueroyals
SouthDownsRoyal
Jackson Corner Take those games away and we’d be a bottom six

Can we not take away eight games we lost instead?

Don't be so disingenuous. Those first few games are relevant because of 'new manager bounce'/honeymoon period.

But can we not take away defeats when we had lots of injuries? They are relevant because we had a depleted squad

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 02 May 2021 10:27

Jackson Corner
morganb Just realised we could finish 8th after today's heavy defeat. Wonder how Mr Dai will view that considering we were top 6 for so long.

I Think it was that last block of games after lockdown that did for Bowen especially the home games. These last 11 games With the exception of the win Over useless Derby we have been really poor.

That is just not true. Even if you carefully select the last 11, there were TWO wins

P11 W2 D6 L3 = 12 Points but this includes playing away to the champions, Norwich, second-place Watford, both on amazing runs, playing an in-form QPR, top-six Swansea, top-six Barnsley who were on a fantastic run, and Cardiff who will finish 7th or 8th.

The only true "BAD RESULT" was away to Birmingham, where we were suckered, Moore was bullied, we went behind very early, managed to get back to 1-1 and conceded a poor goal to lose 2-1

But in the two games before this careful-chose 11, we won (and yes I know we lost the one before that

P13 W4 D6 L3 = 18 Points from 13 = 1.38 points per game = a 64 Point Season = TENTH, 8 points better than RFC finished on last season

01 Rotherham Away WON 1-0
02 Blackburn Home WON 1-0
03 Wednesday Home WON 3-0

04 Notts Forest Away Drew 1-1

Four games, ten points is top form

05 Birmingham Away LOST 2-1...
suckered and bullied... THEIR new-manager bounce. The only genuinely bad result

06 QPR Home Drew 1-1
07 Barnsley Away Drew 1-1.... Many predicted a defeat. Should have won, Joao "unbelievable" miss, Stupid penalty
08 Derby Cty Home WON 3-0

Mini-run, three games unbeaten, 5 points. Not much wrong with that

09 Watford Away LOST 2-0...
we were beaten by two quick goals from a 40M player. We had more shots/shots on target than any other team at Watford

10 Cardiff Home Drew 1-1

Cardiff are no mugs, were 5th last year and will be 7th or 8th this year and usually do well at RDG. We fought well to snatch a draw

11 Luton Away Drew 0-0

Away to the side currently 12th. It's a measure of our expectation that a clean-sheet away draw is now considered poor.

12 Swansea Home Drew 2-2

We were the better side first half, deservedly went 1-0 up. The extra class of Ayew got the away side two quick goals, but we swept back and AGAIN, like Cardiff, against a bogey side who were in last season's POs and are currently FOURTH we held our own

and another 3-game undefeated run

13 Norwich Away LOST 4-1..... we played really well 1st half against a top top side. No disgrace at all

If we win our last game we finish on 72 Points. Last season Cardiff in 5th had 73, Swansea in 6th had 70

Last season we finished on 58

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 02 May 2021 10:37

Snowball
Jackson Corner
morganb Just realised we could finish 8th after today's heavy defeat. Wonder how Mr Dai will view that considering we were top 6 for so long.

I Think it was that last block of games after lockdown that did for Bowen especially the home games. These last 11 games With the exception of the win Over useless Derby we have been really poor.

That is just not true. Even if you carefully select the last 11, there were TWO wins

P11 W2 D6 L3 = 12 Points but this includes playing away to the champions, Norwich, second-place Watford, both on amazing runs, playing an in-form QPR, top-six Swansea, top-six Barnsley who were on a fantastic run, and Cardiff who will finish 7th or 8th.

The only true "BAD RESULT" was away to Birmingham, where we were suckered, Moore was bullied, we went behind very early, managed to get back to 1-1 and conceded a poor goal to lose 2-1

But in the two games before this careful-chose 11, we won (and yes I know we lost the one before that

P13 W4 D6 L3 = 18 Points from 13 = 1.38 points per game = a 64 Point Season = TENTH, 8 points better than RFC finished on last season

06 QPR Home Drew 1-1
07 Barnsley Away Drew 1-1.... Many predicted a defeat. Should have won, Joao "unbelievable" miss, Stupid penalty

we were beaten by two quick goals from a 40M player. We had more shots/shots on target than any other team at Watford

10 Cardiff Home Drew 1-1

Cardiff are no mugs, were 5th last year and will be 7th or 8th this year and usually do well at RDG. We fought well to snatch a draw

11 Luton Away Drew 0-0

Away to the side currently 12th. It's a measure of our expectation that a clean-sheet away draw is now considered poor.

12 Swansea Home Drew 2-2

We were the better side first half, deservedly went 1-0 up. The extra class of Ayew got the away side two quick goals, but we swept back and AGAIN, like Cardiff, against a bogey side who were in last season's POs and are currently FOURTH we held our own

13 Norwich Away LOST 4-1..... we played really well 1st half against a top top side. No disgrace at all

If we win our last game we finish on 72 Points. Last season Cardiff in 5th had 73, Swansea in 6th had 70

Snowers you do know you are replying to someone who said we would be bottom 6 if you take away the first 8 games earlier in this this thread? i don`t think real and thruthful stats mean that much to him.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 02 May 2021 10:37

morganb Perhaps the owners have been too patient with Pauno. Looking at other sackings this season, both Bournemouth and Watford pulled the trigger fairly soon after results took a turn for the worse. Both teams were top 6 at the time and Watford's run sounds similar to ours. Look where they are now.

Should Pauno have gone sooner, when it became obvious we were sliding out of the top 6. Perhaps this shows the owners are willing to give him time?

Championship club Bournemouth have sacked manager Jason Tindall, who was in charge for just six months. Bournemouth, with the team sixth in the table, have lost four successive Championship matches and won just once in their past eight league games.

Watford have sacked head coach Vladimir Ivic after four months in the role. Watford are fifth in the table. The Serb's sacking came after his side were beaten 2-0 at mid-table Huddersfield Town on Saturday - just their second defeat in 11 games - a spell in which they have also had four draws

Oh, come on MorganB, you're better than this.

Reading are a side (relatively) on the up. Watford and Bournemouth were EXPECTED to be top six and highly likely to be challenging for automatics.

I haven't seen Pauno's management failing. I've seen our talisman striker fall off a cliff form-wise and also miss a quarter of the season, a season where Meite has played 50% of the games, our best defender is out injured, our captain has missed a third of the season, our first choice RB has missed 2/3 of the season, Swift missed, what 3/4 of the season, the LB is on the beach, and lately we have being playing a side most carrying injuries or on the edge of breaking down.

Yesterday we had no right to compete with Norwich, who are now on 96 points with a game to go. We had a 20 and a 21 year old at CB, both relative novices, against Pukki and Co, and on their patch.

We've been found out by injuries, lack of squad depth, yet we are 7th. In a normal season we would have stumbled into 6th with 69/70/72 points and been promptly dispatched in the SEMIs.... but we had the freakish run of Barnsley who "stole" our place.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 02 May 2021 10:39

windermereROYAL
Snowball
Jackson Corner

06 QPR Home Drew 1-1

10 Cardiff Home Drew 1-1

11 Luton Away Drew 0-0

12 Swansea Home Drew 2-2

Snowers you do know you are replying to someone who said we would be bottom 6 if you take away the first 8 games earlier in this this thread? i don`t think real and thruthful stats mean that much to him.

Good Point. And it's easy to go to WhoScored and look at the division game 9 to 45 which shows us 10th

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 02 May 2021 10:49

Parky and Mad Dog, that would be a dream team.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 02 May 2021 10:56

Snowball

Thanks!

I was just trying to point out that if Mr Dai only cared about promotion then he could have pulled the trigger sooner, and used a couple of examples to back it up.

I could have used the example of Gareth Ainsworth to illustrate how owners sticking with managers can pay dividends and how their turnaround has come a little too late.

Just trying to stoke up the discussion.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 02 May 2021 11:06

morganb
Snowball

Thanks!

I was just trying to point out that if Mr Dai only cared about promotion then he could have pulled the trigger sooner, and used a couple of examples to back it up.

I could have used the example of Gareth Ainsworth to illustrate how owners sticking with managers can pay dividends and how their turnaround has come a little too late.

Just trying to stoke up the discussion.

The "selectivity" thing is interesting. Dellor yesterday was trying to "show" that Pauno wasn't doing better than his predecessor because they were both as far away from the PO's.

Yeah, right 58=69

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 May 2021 11:28

Lost the dressing room.

THE go to phrase to explain any poor run for half wits.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 May 2021 11:31

morganb Perhaps the owners have been too patient with Pauno. Looking at other sackings this season, both Bournemouth and Watford pulled the trigger fairly soon after results took a turn for the worse. Both teams were top 6 at the time and Watford's run sounds similar to ours. Look where they are now.

Watford are the sacking specialists, and somehow they've made it work for them. But you look at their track record on sacking and appointing managers and then you look at ours.

We should not be trying to follow their model because we're awful at it.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 02 May 2021 11:37

Snowflake Royal

Lost the dressing room.

THE go to phrase to explain any poor run for half wits.

Sorry he has to go, we know more than half the first team will be gone, so best to have a clean sweep. Parky and Mad dog would get the passion back.

3542 posts